weekly TomD13’s 52 challenge (2021) - Week 1: Fruit

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone
After my abysmal attempt in 2020 (I think I managed half of the photos!), I have decided to give the 52 week challenge another go in 2021. Hopefully I will try and stay on track, my New Years resolution will be not to fall as far behind as I did in 2020!!

Weekly Subjects
Week 0: Nearby
Week 1: Fruit
Week 2:
Week 3:
Week 4:
Week 5: Snappers Choice
Week 6:
Week 7:
Week 8:
Week 9:
Week 10:
Week 11:
Week 12:
Week 13:
Week 14:
Week 15: Snappers Choice
Week 16:
Week 17:
Week 18:
Week 19:
Week 20:
Week 21:
Week 22:
Week 23:
Week 24:
Week 25: Snappers Choice
Week 26:
Week 27:
Week 28:
Week 29:
Week 30:
Week 31:
Week 32:
Week 33:
Week 34:
Week 35: Snappers choice
Week 36:
Week 37:
Week 38:
Week 39:
Week 40:
Week 41:
Week 42:
Week 43:
Week 44:
Week 45: Snappers choice
Week 46:
Week 47:
Week 48:
Week 49:
Week 50:
Week 51:
Week 52:

Techniques
January & February:
March & April:
May & June:
July & August:
September & October:
November & December:

Last edited:
Week 0: Nearby
This morning, we went for a little stroll in a nearby park - it was very chilly and I think I'm still suffering from the cold! :oops: :$ Not the best photo (I was only intending to take photos of the little'n to fill some family frames!), but I have decided to start the year (or maybe end the year!) with a shoehorn;)

Week 0 - Nearby
by Tom Dimmock, on Flickr

Last edited:
Welcome back Tom. Really nice image for the start of the next 52, looks good in mono as it really adds to the mood of the scene - very nice.

*now edited to remove horrific typos!!!!

Last edited:
Moody and atmospheric Tom. For me (and I'm porobably in a minority) there's a little too much dead space top & bottom. I actually think the top is fine because it's just plain grey sky, but I don't think the bottom adds much to the scene. The vignette helps pull it together though so it's definitely a personal thing.

Nice misty shot which works well in B&W. Personally I might have tried cropping in a little more to the central trees. Good start to the 52.

It's a good start for sure :)

Welcome back Tom, cracking start with an awesome image.

Hi Tom ... good moody B&W image.

I see a tree dead centre that might look great isolated with that misty murky BG.

Moody and atmospheric Tom. For me (and I'm porobably in a minority) there's a little too much dead space top & bottom. I actually think the top is fine because it's just plain grey sky, but I don't think the bottom adds much to the scene. The vignette helps pull it together though so it's definitely a personal thing.
Thanks Ian - I did think about a crop, wasn't overly keen on the look but agree there is a little much dead space! Thank you :giggle:

Nice misty shot which works well in B&W. Personally I might have tried cropping in a little more to the central trees. Good start to the 52.
Thank you Helen :)

I don't mind the space at the bottom, it sets the line of trees more or less on the bottom third line.
Was this a pre-concieved "Mist Plan", or lucky happenstance?
This was just the right time and place - thank you :D

It's a good start for sure :)
Thank you!!

Welcome back Tom, cracking start with an awesome image.
Thanks Heather! Hope you are well? Hopefully see you soon :giggle:

Hi Tom ... good moody B&W image.

I see a tree dead centre that might look great isolated with that misty murky BG.
Thank you David! If I didn't have the little'n in tow, I might have wandered off (might pop back over the next couple of weeks to have a play!)

I really like the contrast in black and white tones between the foreground, mid ground and sky! (y)

nice scene, I agree with cropping it top and bottom looks so much better on flickr

A nice misty landscape Tom. It sums up the new year here at least

I like the framing and composition, but it looks a little bright to me. I wonder if a darker edit might bring out the details in the sky?

I really like the contrast in black and white tones between the foreground, mid ground and sky! (y)
Thank you :giggle:

lovely misty scene works well in b/w
Thank you :giggle:

nice scene, I agree with cropping it top and bottom looks so much better on flickr
Thanks Allan - It does look a bit better on Flickr, I just assume it’s the size on here? I’ll have a trim of it later :)

Welcome back, Tom and good to see you are having another go at this 52 malarkey.
Nice shot to start the year and I can't see any shoehorn anywhere. ;)
Thank you! Let’s hope 2021 is a better year!

A nice misty landscape Tom. It sums up the new year here at least
Thank you Cobra! Definitely, although according to some locals, it’ll snow soon (I’ll believe it when I see it!) :ROFLMAO:

I like the framing and composition, but it looks a little bright to me. I wonder if a darker edit might bring out the details in the sky?
Thank you, I’ll see if I can tone it down a little later and see how o:giggle:

Very nice, I probably agree with the idea of cropping it a little but personally I’d crop a little bit off either the top OR bottom rather than both. I think a bit of negative space on a nice atmospheric shot like this is a good thing but as others have said it’s purely personal taste, it’s definitely a shot I’d be proud to have captured :)

This is the type of scene I tend to miss when out and about. Personally would crop, probably from top and bottom to accentuate the scene

A timeless sort of shot. I think I agree with the suggestions on cropping, but it's difficult to know unless you actually see the results. Sometimes it just kills the atmosphere.
You’ve definitely captured that misty wintery feel .... the mono works well with bare trees.
Very nice, I probably agree with the idea of cropping it a little but personally I’d crop a little bit off either the top OR bottom rather than both. I think a bit of negative space on a nice atmospheric shot like this is a good thing but as others have said it’s purely personal taste, it’s definitely a shot I’d be proud to have captured :)
This is the type of scene I tend to miss when out and about. Personally would crop, probably from top and bottom to accentuate the scene
Nice atmospheric start Tom.

Thank you all :)

Week 1: Fruit
I originally took a few photos of a scone with strawberry jam (pronounced scone and definitely made the correct way!), however I didn't realise how shallow my DOF was and I wasn't happy with the finished article (it is below). Unfortunately, by the time they were in Lightroom, I had eaten my subject. My next closest item was a bottle of Old Mout Cider, it's quite refreshingly fruity ;)

TP52 2021 - Week 1 Fruit-2

TP52 2021 - Week 1 Fruit-1

Fruit
The dof is only a little bit too shallow. I like the oof foreground and the black background.
I also like the Cider bottle top, it's a simple shot, but has all that is needed for the theme.

Re your scone. I tried to do a similar thing with an apple cake but the results were less than spectacular and then...well you know what happened then, and it was delicious.

"Scone (pronounced scone)" - very funny!

I think the scone shot might have worked OK if you had left everything set up the same, but moved the scone at the front, to behind the one you have focussed on.

I really like the light and the black background, but for me the oof foreground should be the background. I find it draws the eye a little too much where it is.

I agree the scone would look better with more Dof. The bottle cap is a good twist on the theme.

Yes the cider bottle top is a sneaky twist :) and I like the barely visible oof bottle there.

Of the two images, I feel the bottle cap shot is the stronger of the two.
Fair play to you for posting the scone image that you weren't happy with Tom. That's a good ethos to have, as I think the 52 is all about learning both from our own work and that of others.

I had the same potential issue. If I'd not gotten my doughnuts right, I wouldn't have had a second chance as they didn't last much longer ;)
The bottle cap has definitely come out sharper, and I tend to think the central composition works, with the cap being circular.

Question - looking at the EXIF, were you on a tripod or hand held?

Fruit
The dof is only a little bit too shallow. I like the oof foreground and the black background.
I also like the Cider bottle top, it's a simple shot, but has all that is needed for the theme.
Thank you :)

Re your scone. I tried to do a similar thing with an apple cake but the results were less than spectacular and then...well you know what happened then, and it was delicious.
They say never work with children or animals, I have decided that it's best not to work with anything edible!!

"Scone (pronounced scone)" - very funny!

I think the scone shot might have worked OK if you had left everything set up the same, but moved the scone at the front, to behind the one you have focussed on.
I think you could br right, I don't know why I didn't try that (its pretty obvious now I'm looking at it again)

I really like the light and the black background, but for me the oof foreground should be the background. I find it draws the eye a little too much where it is.
Thank you, as above I'm not sure why I didn't do that.

I agree the scone would look better with more Dof. The bottle cap is a good twist on the theme.
Thank you :)

Yes the cider bottle top is a sneaky twist :) and I like the barely visible oof bottle there.
Thank you!

Of the two images, I feel the bottle cap shot is the stronger of the two.
Fair play to you for posting the scone image that you weren't happy with Tom. That's a good ethos to have, as I think the 52 is all about learning both from our own work and that of others.
Thank you Iain, I have learnt loads from this forum (usually reading comments), so welcome all the critique I can get :)

I had the same potential issue. If I'd not gotten my doughnuts right, I wouldn't have had a second chance as they didn't last much longer ;)
The bottle cap has definitely come out sharper, and I tend to think the central composition works, with the cap being circular.

Question - looking at the EXIF, were you on a tripod or hand held?
Thank you, it was handheld for bottle cap and balanced on a box for the scone...my tripod appears to have got left at my parents house prior to lockdown so can't use it at the moment :(

A shame you ate the scone (though I totally understand) as I think it has the makings of a lovely shot.

As has already been said, there was loads of potential with the scone. But I like the Cider shot as well.

Week 0 Nearby -- nice black and white shot, have you tried it at a letterbox size so its more like a pano.

I like both fruit images TBH.
The OoF foreground of the scon ( :p ) doesn't actually bother me..

Back