Notice TP 52'ers 2018 Challenge. Discussion thread Week 52 see the spoiler #2351

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just been having a google about the 52 week project to see whats about, this one for example the themes are a little more specific along with a bit of an explanation, a list like this could be used for next year maybe?

Another option I thought about was to announce a block of themes, say 4 at a time and we would have 4 weeks to use for them, in the order that we like during those four weeks, which just gives people a bit more scope of getting it done if the one theme doesn't quite fit in for them, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately its far too big for that Chris, even I can't get around that rule ;)
I could alway post the link at the start of the new theme if you think that will help?

I see that its not been up dated since week 16, I'll give Dean @Dark Knight a boot up the bum
Ohhh naughty me :D

Apologies it has been manic (understatement), I will update the sheet this weekend (Drop myself to the naughty list) and then keep it up to date nightly if that is okay with folks...

@d00d Nooooooooooooooooooooo....you cant leave.....one of my favourite 52'ers, for both quality of comment and Image input, 52 isnt right without you and Brnnd and Posiview and Sirch and......................

Please dont go......

My only problem with a Monday theme announcement is, if I/you/anyone only get a chance to get a photo taken on a weekend (which is quite likely in the winter), It would need to edited and posted by Sunday night. Which for me at least is not a good day to be messing about on the Computer. A Tuesday or Wednesday would be better.

Well, whatever the result of this particular discussion about whether to change the format or not, I have taken a great interest in the discussion and it has enervated me somewhat and I'm ready to carry on photographing and commenting now. Suppose it's been like a mid-year pep-talk, perhaps we should do it every year.

@d00d don't go! I really appreciate your comments and enjoy your images. I hope you reconsider, although I can understand the temptation to take a break when you've done several years in a row.

This has been a really good discussion. Although I make regular rounds of everyone's threads and comment on the recent images, I prefer not to look at the new weekly images until I have posted the theme myself, which sometimes results in a delay if I struggle and get behind. I have tried not to get hung up on themes this year, but it still happens. I'm currently stuck on Rural, which is probably my punishment for thinking it would be an easy theme! I've got some that I'm not happy with but will aim to be up to date by the end of the weekend and then catch up with everyone's threads again.

Anyway, I agree that drawing the theme a day or two earlier might help with the planning; maybe give Wednesdays a try and see how that works out? I also agree that there would be no harm in recycling some of the past themes because there aren't many of us who have been involved for that many years.

Finally, I seem to recall that there was the option of playing a 'joker' for a theme if for some reason you couldn't come up with an image? Perhaps that might help to get past the odd tricky theme or holiday/work/illness and keep on track.

Looking forward to the second half of this year's challenge (y)

.... and I miss Andy @posiview and his crit:

'Nice use of DOF, maybe a little under exposed, Cheers'

'I like it, motion blur would have improved it, Cheers'

Succinct and to the point, helpful too. :)

Morning all. I'll pop in from time to time and make a few comments. It was very strange not taking part after 7 years. Hope you are all enjoying it

I must admit I've struggled myself with some of the themes lately, some of them have been a bit random. I like the challenge of finding something each week but sometimes I look at a theme and think what am I ment to do with that lol

To me the whole point of the challenge is the challenge (if you know what i mean).
Now if flower was the theme, well for me that wouldn't be a challenge, I'm surrounded by them all day and it's what I like to photograph, but if it was something like people (which we had earlier in the year), well that's a challenge. It means I have to go outside of my comfort zone and find someone.

My only problem with a Monday theme announcement is, if I/you/anyone only get a chance to get a photo taken on a weekend (which is quite likely in the winter), It would need to edited and posted by Sunday night.
I've been thinking about this today, while driving around Rural ( :D ) Norfolk.
And yes I agree completely, Announce Monday, for "thinking time" that only leaves ( most people) with the week-end to shoot and edit.
It used to be Sunday that the themes were announced, IIRC? I moved it to Thursday, to give a days thinking time, before shooting over the week end and then 3-4 days processing and posting.
I don't think that publishing the theme before weds would help anyone?
Happy to try weds if you ( all ) want?
I have just been having a google about the 52 week project to see whats about, this one for example the themes are a little more specific along with a bit of an explanation, a list like this could be used for next year maybe?
I think something like this was discussed awhile back and "people" didn't want the themes to be too specific.

Finally, I seem to recall that there was the option of playing a 'joker' for a theme if for some reason you couldn't come up with an image?
The option is still in the guidelines (y)
Ohhh naughty me :D
Consider your wrist well and truly slapped :D

it has been manic
How's the car painting business shaping up Dean?
( sorry :coat: )

But then we wouldn't get to pester @Cobra every Thursday, where's the fun in that :D
I'd Hate to take your fun away Chris :p
we could always forget and stil pester

d00d noooooo. we'll miss you, your submissions and your comments.
@d00d Nooooooooooooooooooooo....you cant leave.....one of my favourite 52'ers, for both quality of comment and Image input, 52 isnt right without you and Brnnd and Posiview and Sirch and......................

Please dont go......
@d00d don't go! I really appreciate your comments and enjoy your images. I hope you reconsider, although I can understand the temptation to take a break when you've done several years in a row.
Thanks all. I must say I'm now a teeny bit tempted to say 'OK I'm back in' but no. Maybe in 2019.

Yes, Cobra, Wednesday would be fine with me.

I’m struggling too see what difference it would make moving it to a Wednesday it used to be Saturday then Friday and now Thursday so could someone explain why a Wednesday would make it so much better

I’m struggling too see what difference it would make moving it to a Wednesday it used to be Saturday then Friday and now Thursday so could someone explain why a Wednesday would make it so much better
I've always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the move to Saturday, then Friday and now Thursday for Theme announcement was to allow a couple of extra days thinking/preparation time before the challenge proper started on the Monday with the following Sunday being the elastic deadline for being considered 'on time'. For those who have unpredictable schedules it also allows for a <quickie> entry to cover the busy time. So Wednesday would give a full 11 day window for each weeks shot.
( Hey I lived through the 3 day week and now invented the 11 day week [emoji119] )

Last edited:
I've always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the move to Saturday, then Friday and now Thursday for Theme announcement was to allow a couple of extra days thinking/preparation time before the challenge proper started on the Monday with the following Sunday being the elastic deadline for being considered 'on time'. For those who have unpredictable schedules it also allows for a <quickie> entry to cover the busy time. So Wednesday would give a full 11 day window for each weeks shot.
( Hey I lived through the 3 day week and now invented the 11 day week [emoji119] )
As I understand it and I’m not a maths genius but it’s 52 pictures one a week that’s the challenge surely, so if we had 11 days we would finish the challenge sometime next June,

so does anybody have a sensible answer

I've always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the move to Saturday, then Friday and now Thursday for Theme announcement was to allow a couple of extra days thinking/preparation time
Good thinking David, but actually I moved it because Thursday tended to be a quieter day for me, and I could sort the theme out lunch time or just after,
Rather than late Fri or Sat evening.

and now invented the 11 day week
Bloody fantastic! now if you could find a 5 day week-end, we'll all be happy :p

so does anybody have a sensible answer
Not following your logic, no :D

I’m struggling too see what difference it would make moving it to a Wednesday
I'm easy, ( but don't tell everyone..)
Happy to post Weds or Thurs, what ever the majority wants.

So far that's 3? for (weds) and 2 ? for leaving it as it is?

Good thinking David, but actually I moved it because Thursday tended to be a quieter day for me, and I could sort the theme out lunch time or just after,
Rather than late Fri or Sat evening.

Bloody fantastic! now if you could find a 5 day week-end, we'll all be happy :p

Not following your logic, no :D

I'm easy, ( but don't tell everyone..)
Happy to post Weds or Thurs, what ever the majority wants.

So far that's 3? for (weds) and 2 ? for leaving it as it is?
I just have no idea why people are complicating it

Not you at all, you do what you do very well, pulling one theme out of a hat once a week that’s all that’s required

I'm slowly working my way up to pulling a rabbit :D

I would leave it as it is for this year. Even though I said I'm fine with a Wednesday draw, it was only because it is preferable to a Sunday (as mentioned earlier) in the discussion.

it was only because it is preferable to a Sunday
It will never be Sunday while I'm running it :)
TBH I think Thursday works well., but its *your* challenge and happy to move stuff about if the general consensus is that it needs moving :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back