2013 ETC...... completed......winner announced

It's done using still photographs made into a video. There are some good threads on how to do it on here

Having said I'd be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anything appealed, April themes are much more to my liking, not relying in pp for effect.

I've just got a 10-stop and the LE shots are brilliant with it. Timelapse doesn't appeal. Duotones I will have to look up. Shallow dof are great, I love my little 35mm f1.8. Zoom bursts are fun and you can get some great effects. Black card I understand the technique used but I have no idea where it would he useful - will watch others threads to see how they use it.

These look like very interesting themes. I have two questions though:

1) How do we post a time lapse on here?

2) How can we get some commenting going? I seem to be posting far more comments than I'm getting, and it's pretty disheartening :(

Having said I'd be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anything appealed, April themes are much more to my liking, not relying in pp for effect.

I've just got a 10-stop and the LE shots are brilliant with it. Timelapse doesn't appeal. Duotones I will have to look up. Shallow dof are great, I love my little 35mm f1.8. Zoom bursts are fun and you can get some great effects. Black card I understand the technique used but I have no idea where it would he useful - will watch others threads to see how they use it.

Good to hear Rich and looking forward to some of your shots this month.

2) How can we get some commenting going? I seem to be posting far more comments than I'm getting, and it's pretty disheartening :(

Mark, I know what you mean about the lack of comments from others. I only have three comments for the whole of March! :puke: but I carry on regardlessly. The challenge is for myself to learn and know more about the different Effects, Techniques and Creativities of photography, however it would be appreciate and encouraging to get comments and feedbacks from others too.

This. Since day one I've commented on every thread giving my thought on almost every picture/image. At the end of February I decided to not post on anyone's until they posted on mine. My february images have been up for a whole month. 3 people have commented.

I've become unmotivated to partake in this anymore. I'm out.

This. Since day one I've commented on every thread giving my thought on almost every picture/image. At the end of February I decided to not post on anyone's until they posted on mine. My february images have been up for a whole month. 3 people have commented.

Same for me mate only 3 comments on my first set of April pics. Have been very limited for time this month and finding the motivation to get out a try something new with the camera knowing you'll not really get any feeback is difficult.
The main reason for joining this was the chance to get feedback on my photography as being a relative novice I sometimes don't see things others might see.
I'll still continue with this as it is essentially a good way of trying new styles and hopefully the few of us who do comment will continue to do so.

Hi, all, I'm guilty of not commenting on everyone's posts...sorry!

Think we all need to make a concerted effort to support each other.

Cheers.

The main reason for joining this was the chance to get feedback on my photography as being a relative novice I sometimes don't see things others might see.
I'll still continue with this as it is essentially a good way of trying new styles and hopefully the few of us who do comment will continue to do so.

See, that wasn't the reason for me. My reason for starting this etc was to find out new genres and editting techniques, and that was probably my fault for not properly understanding what was involves, and not anyone else's for not giving the right topics or not giving feedback.

I ask for feedback because I like to see what other people think of photos which I think are good, nit because I want to be told where I've gone wrong. I'm a photographer for my own personal interest not for others to think I'm good, bad or indifferent!

Rich, it's not to do with being told you're good bad or indifferent, it's to do with improving, which most of us want to do whether we do it for ourselves or for others.

I really don't get the point of entering something like this on a forum, then not getting involved in feedback, both given and received. If you don't want to give or receive feedback, why not just Google a list of techniques and give them a go? Why bother posting shots here?

And if you do want feedback for whatever reason, isn't it just common courtesy to return the favour?

It's also worth pointing out that giving feedback can help you as well as the person you're offering it to. Looking critically at someone else's shots, deciding what you do and don't like and how you'd change things, is a great help with your own photography. Obviously that's not true if its just "nice shot" type of feedback, but who wants that anyway?

Last edited:
Kelly,

Any possibility of highlighting the active ETC members on the first page so I don't have to keep checking the inactive members IYSWIM?

This seems like a good idea, is it possible?

Any thoughts on these two? I know you we're discussing ways to encourage commenting in the staff room; did anything come of that?

I'm out, sorry - meant to say before ;) I missed the first month and really didn't make much of an effort in February - so I guess I'm bottom of the class or in the dunce's corner :)

Well, just been through all the threads of those that started and as far as I can see there are 4 active threads: Southdowns (Mark), AdamGP86 (Adam), rpn (Stan) and Me.

If I've missed anyone, sorry :thinking:

Just caught up with Adam and Stan and I'll keep uptodate from now on :naughty:

Cheers all.

Wow! Just wow!

Have you looked at the rest of his "City of Shadows" set on his web site. Amazing stuff :)

How do you recon long exposure is defined?

As a shot taken with a shutter speed that's slower than is strictly necessary for the exposure; one that's done to deliberately capture some movement? So 1/15s could be "long exposure" if you'd normally select 1/60?

Any shot where your thought process goes through "no, I need a slower shutter than that"?

Or is it anything longer than 1/2s? 1s? 5s? 30s?

Wow! Just wow!

Have you looked at the rest of his "City of Shadows" set on his web site. Amazing stuff :)

I have indeed. I'm trying to pluck up courage to do some long exposures in Leeds centre on a busy day to get a similar effect :confused:

How do you recon long exposure is defined?

As a shot taken with a shutter speed that's slower than is strictly necessary for the exposure; one that's done to deliberately capture some movement? So 1/15s could be "long exposure" if you'd normally select 1/60?

Any shot where your thought process goes through "no, I need a slower shutter than that"?

Or is it anything longer than 1/2s? 1s? 5s? 30s?

Ooffffff, way to over think :D

For me, it was a shutter speed long enough to capture what I for a long exposure photograph. (y)

Cheers.

I've split the list between currently active and non-active, I will try and update as and when people update their threads

Commenting - this is difficult as it seems to be a forum wide problem at the moment. We haven't thought of a solution yet in the staff room

Day time Long Exposure -

I found some resources that may help you:

http://www.photographyblogger.net/tips-for-taking-daytime-long-exposure-photos/

http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/2736/daytime-long-exposure-photography/

http://www.alexwisephotography.net/blog/2010/02/16/guide-to-daytime-long-exposures/

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-take-long-exposure-shots-in-daylight

http://www.edinchavez.com/blog/tutorials-and-how-toos/day-time-long-exposure-tutorial/

I've split the list between currently active and non-active, I will try and update as and when people update their threads

Commenting - this is difficult as it seems to be a forum wide problem at the moment. We haven't thought of a solution yet in the staff room

Day time Long Exposure -

I found some resources that may help you:

http://www.photographyblogger.net/tips-for-taking-daytime-long-exposure-photos/

http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/2736/daytime-long-exposure-photography/

http://www.alexwisephotography.net/blog/2010/02/16/guide-to-daytime-long-exposures/

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-take-long-exposure-shots-in-daylight

http://www.edinchavez.com/blog/tutorials-and-how-toos/day-time-long-exposure-tutorial/

Cheers, Kelly, appreciate the edit and links.

4 still in :clap:

I have Friday afternoon off and I'm determined to get into Leeds city centre for some long exposures.

Have zoom burst idea.

Cheers all.

Cheers Kelly.

I think Mark (Cowboy), is still in, but I'm not sure.

Been hard at work preparing for my time lapse. It's either going to be really good, or a monumental failure, no in between! We'll see!

Wonder what May will bring :)

Pwetty wickle bunny wabbits, birds sweetly chirruping in de twees, and a twinkle in everwy young man's eye :) :love:

Oh, and your first council tax payment of he year if you pay monthly :( :rules:

Yay, new month!

Mono May?

They're on now :)

Cheers, theses look a bit more up my street.

Apologies for the lack of participation last month, an accident at work kept me out of photography for about 10 days but all is good now.

Cheers, theses look a bit more up my street.

Apologies for the lack of participation last month, an accident at work kept me out of photography for about 10 days but all is good now.

Glad to hear you are on the mend. We need as many to take part as possible.

Ha, I was right!

And you was wrong, so stick that in your camera and expose it!

Great themes Kelly, should be a good one this month :)

:agree: But not too sure about Levitating Effect though as I've not done it before

Mono....errr, isn't that one colour...it's in the word you see. Look closely ;)

Monochrome, meaning one colour, of which black and white is an example :) :razz:

Ah, you're one of them strange chaps who doesn't think white is a colour ;)

Well, me and anyone who's ever used monochrome film! Single colour, but multiple tones of that same colour.

But no, I don't think white is not a colour; it's all wavelengths in equal amount, so is in fact all colours. It's black that isn't a colour; it's an absence of light. It could in fact be any colour, but as there's no light you can't see it :)

You can diffract white to see the colours it contains, but you can't diffract black because there's nothing to diffract :)

I suppose technically B&W photography isn't monochrome; it's greyscale, but these days if you start talking about various shades of grey, people think you're a nymphomaniac!

None the less, it's way more "Mono May" than it is "Macro May", so I was still more right than like what you was, so ner!

Last edited:
You know the old adage, if you can't beat them, join them

Well, this month's themes are going to be a take on this. It's a slightly different challenge month this month and may not be to everyone's liking but then I'm not known for my nice qualities :D

Enjoy

Back