2013 ETC...... completed......winner announced

Hi Kelly, just wondering if you had any answer re this? I missed some from February too, and was thinking I'd be able to catch up during March, but maybe that's not allowed? I just think the rules need to be clarified (and no-one penalised because they weren't clear up to now).

Personally I'd say having the following month to complete the previous month's themes should be allowed (but maybe no longer).

Also, is there anything saying we have to do 6 shots each month, or can we do just three if we only have time for that (accepting that we'd have fewer chances to win a prize, obviously)

Oh, and I do think that if we HAVE to complete all shots within the month they're posted, it goes without saying that they need to be announced on the first, especially when there's a weekend lost if they aren't :).

You raise some good points there. The reason for no further clarification was that I was hoping you bunch of slackers (me being the worst offender) ;) would get it all done each month :LOL:

I'll have a think over a bottle glass of wine tonight and firm something up.

I may put something in the rules about commenting as well :D

Just as well I can't be judged as I'd be on minus points :LOL:

And coffee? Bah, no caffeine in the evenings, it's wine time :D

I personally think the month's themes should be shot that month. Otherwise it's not actually March's themes, they're March and April's. Having 30 days to get 6 shots isn't much to ask. You can all be forgiven for February tho, you only had 28 days :LOL:

Hi Jason, I don't mind if that's the rule, but if it is, it needs to be declared as one! Plus, the themes really will have to go up either on the first of the month, or at the absolute latest before the first weekend of the month, because the weekends will be the only opportunity lots of people have to get out with their cameras.

Maybe the solution is to allow us to catch up with Feb during March, but apply a stricter rule for March's themes onwards?

It's also important to know whether or not you get disqualified if you don't post 6 shots in any given month.

Last edited:
I actually shot all 6 this month but only got chance to upload a few due to work commitments and family life :(, maybe an extra week at the end of the month is a good idea, ?

Matt

I don't mind when people take their pictures. I think it makes more sense and is a lot easier if the month's themes are shot that month tho. As long as Kelly (as if you don't have enough stuff to do) lets us know the plan it'll be fine. Hopefully she'll be able to operate a computer tomorrow morning after an evening of wine drinking :beer: :nuts:

Mark, I agree with the point you made about the lack of comments. We all upload our pictures to get feedback, so lets help each other out with a comment here and there. (y)

I don't think that'd work Rich, even though I agree with the principal, because you could spend all day getting your last shots, only to come home and find you're too late because the new themes have been posted. I think we need some certainty.

Today is a case in point; I'm sitting here, ready to go out with my camera, not knowing if I can get my last Feb shots, but also having nothing to shoot for March :(. If I don't do it today, I almost certainly won't get an opportunity until next weekend.

Last edited:
I don't think that'd work Rich, even though I agree with the principal, because you could spend all day getting your last shots, only to come home and find you're too late because the new themes have been posted. I think we need some certainty.

Today is a case in point; I'm sitting here, ready to go out with my camera, not knowing if I can get my last Feb shots, but also having nothing to shoot for March :(. If I don't do it today, I almost certainly won't get an opportunity until next weekend.

Good point. I guess I'm just in the same boat as you. I could go out and get a couple of contre jour shots to complete Feb but I don't know if they'd be valid.

Last edited:
I've clarified the rules. You have until midnight tomorrow night to complete February's.

And although I would like to see 6 photos each month, to qualify for the competition, you must have posted at least three.

I will spend next week doing the themes for the rest of the year and post them in the staff room so that if I am unable to get to a computer on the 1st of the month for any reason, then one of the mods can update it for me.

Thanks Kelly, that helps a lot.

Off to Google some of this months themes to find out what the heck they are!

No worries and sorry for all the confusion.

Thanks Kelly.

I will put it out there, I hate the thought of 5 of them this month. :crying:

Last edited:
In a way it's disappointing that 4 of the 6 themes this month are PP techniques, not photographic ones as such, but I think the challenge is to take interesting shots that will work well with those techniques, so I'm happy with them overall.

In a way it's disappointing that 4 of the 6 themes this month are PP techniques, not photographic ones as such, but I think the challenge is to take interesting shots that will work well with those techniques, so I'm happy with them overall.

That's why it's called the effects, techniques and creative ideas challenge. It will have pp in it. Some will disappoint people. You can't please everyone all the time. Plus where would the challenge be if I put themes that you liked each month

It wasn't a complaint Kelly, just saying that even if the themes are disappointing in the sense that they're not what you'd do from choice, or not interesting to you in themselves, that actually increases the challenge.

Lots of people don't regard PP effects as photography (I do), and maybe would think the "effects" part of the E.T.C. was in camera effects, but I think for those people the challenge should be in getting the perfect in camera shot to suit the PP effect. E.g. For tryptich last month, the challenge isn't the actual creation of the tryptich in PP (that's trivial for most people I'd think), it's getting three shots that work together, or one that works when split into three panels.

Smoke art this month is a case in point in a slightly different way. I'm bored to tears with smoke art shots now, even though I've never done one myself, and even though I can see the skill involved, so the challenge for me isn't going to be to get a perfect smoke shot, it'll be to get a different smoke shot :). This challenge is good therefore, because without it I'd have actively avoided smoke shots.

Last edited:
A couple of hours left...

Just done my triptych and it's killed my computer ! It's bloody massive, best resize it before i upload :)

Eeeek, quiet around here :thinking:

I know I've been a bit lax with C&C...I'll catch up shortly (y)

Cheers.

I think everyone is busy taking
Camera.gif

Eeeek, quiet around here :thinking:

I know I've been a bit lax with C&C...I'll catch up shortly (y)

Cheers.

I've given up on this.

Most of the themes for Feb and March don't interest me and I'm not taking 6 shots of the same technique or subject just to qualify for a competition.

I will however carry on watching this thread to see what new themes come up and google all of the ones I don't know just in case any of them are of interest to me and something i've not tried before.

Sorry to hear that and it's a shame you are given up Rich. Likewise I can't say I particularly like some of the themes so far. When the March themes appeared I either don't know what they are or not interested at all however, my goal from day one for taking on this project is the self challenege to get out of my comfort zone (usually landscape) and try something totally new or different and learn the various processing techniques.

I can say that having complete the smoke art and mini planet themes (so far this month), both are new terrestrials, when I come across similar images in the future I would appreciate them more and understand the thoughts and processes what the photographer has gone through.

Looking forward to see you around and some commenting too!

Hi

Firstly I'd like to say thank you for the great list of theme's that's growing at the top of the thread ... I've been taking digital photo's since Xmas 1999 (I had an ME Super when I was a teen) but only recently thought I should make time to expand my photography (mainly prompted by a chat with my gran about my Grand dad who was a photographer before, during and after the war but sadly died of skin cancer in the 50s) and the list has given me some inspiration ... so much so that I had a spare half hour this evening and a new festival kettle to try out so I snapped it with a view to applying the Harris Shutter Effect, which I had never previously heard about ... and I must say I am very please with the result!

I have to say I'm a bit late to the party, and my job means I can sometimes be free to indulge myself and sometimes very much not free, but would it be acceptable for me to start an "unofficial" 12s thread for me to add photos's as I am able to for comment and criticism without, of course, expecting to be up for any prize or accolade that may be on offer?

Many thanks,

Matt.

PS: Here's my Festival Kettle:

8577382237_3c715dc101.jpg

Ooffffff, struggling with this project :thinking:

I've got a few panos and a tilt shift but none are really to my liking.

I might take my own advice and 'post and be damned' and move on.

I'll nip over and comment now.

Cheers.

Hi

I had a spare half hour this evening and a new festival kettle to try out so I snapped it with a view to applying the Harris Shutter Effect, which I had never previously heard about ... and I must say I am very please with the result!

I have to say I'm a bit late to the party, and my job means I can sometimes be free to indulge myself and sometimes very much not free, but would it be acceptable for me to start an "unofficial" 12s thread for me to add photos's as I am able to for comment and criticism without, of course, expecting to be up for any prize or accolade that may be on offer?

Matt.

Hi Matt,

Good to see you’ve found us and no, it’s never too late to join. You’re more than welcome as it’s very quiet here and also we have a few dropped out so far already.

That’s a very nice shot for the Harris Shutter Effect and a very different from the norms if there is such thing!

You can start your own thread HERE and I’m sure others will be along soon to comment.

Hi Matt,

Good to see you’ve found us and no, it’s never too late to join. You’re more than welcome as it’s very quiet here and also we have a few dropped out so far already.

That’s a very nice shot for the Harris Shutter Effect and a very different from the norms if there is such thing!

You can start your own thread HERE and I’m sure others will be along soon to comment.

Thanks Stan,

I will get round to starting the thread soon, our 10 year old dog had to be put down after a freak accident yesterday so a little dazed and devastated just now ... and thanks for comment on kettle ... I'd like to do it properly showing the whole plume when I can think straight again.

Matt

Sorry guys pulling out, recent shift changes at work plus overtime have left me with little time to do anything :(

Ooer, sorry folks, I didn't realise my subscriptions weren't on for this thread so I didn't realise there were replies

Sorry to Rich and Matt that you've had to drop out. It's hard to cater for all and the wide range of abilities and interests on the forum mean that they are not always going to be pleasing to 100% of the users (if that makes sense). But keep an eye on the thread and you are more than welcome to jump in every now and again if something tickles your fancy :D and I know what you mean about finding the time. It just has been so hectic so far this year for me too

Welcome to the other Matt, hope that you have more success than me. I just have not had a chance to do many of these at all let alone post the results! I will bombard the forum with mine at some point in the year :LOL:

Andy, stick with it, as long as you are learning something from it, then that is my aim done :D

April's challenge is now on :)

Yep. Will do when I get home

Back