weekly Fabphoto's 52 challenge 2015 - Week 6: Watery

Bliss - now that's my idea of bliss as well, as for the image the second one for me my only crit is the skirting that is missing. For a first go at using lights I think you have done rather well, feet up now and wait for week 2 theme.

Nice story starting there. Would prefer a different background to both shots. Well done for using lighting. Takes me back to when my children were small and had nutella with most meals. Forever buying the stuff. can't remember now who introduced it to them too sickly for me.

#2 .... the lighting looks fine. Nice piggish idea for the theme. But not at all keen on the BG.

Love the way you captured the shine of the Nutella and well done experimenting with lights too. Just take a little more time with the composition and you'll be well set. It's a bit like learning to drive, at the beginning there are so many things to remember but as time goes on you do it without thinking about it (y)

Nice shot not much to add. like the suggestion about finishing with an empty jar shot.

Very quick off the mark and an interesting take on the theme. Really liking the shallow dog and low angle, it also has a slightly sinister feel.

Hi
Bliss
Lovely capture of the jar, spoon and texture of Nutella ( not keen myself) but bit distracted by the background on left hand side.

Fragile - very abstract but I'm left struggling to see what it is. Even with the explanation, I can't quite match the description to what my eyes are seeing. I realise that's my problem (!) but it's not resulting in me loving the image :(

For me, I'd prefer another clue or two within the image as to what it is, perhaps an edge of the frame more in focus? Dunno... and sorry this comment isn't very helpful as I do try to be!

... and I thought it was just me! Like DK, I see something that looks at first like scissors. o_O

My initial thoughts were that it was a prong off a fork but having read your description I can now tell what it is, great image, lovely and sharp, I like the mono conversion, overall nice shot.

Hi Fabien

Bliss.....another one here who can't abide the stuff but each to their own ;) #2 for me , you've done really well with the lighting on that , with the central comp I'd be tempted to crop and lose the missing bit of wood :)

Fragile....& another who thought it was scissors :banghead: Much as I love narrow DOf & great boken I really think this needs to be shot withmore bg in focus to give it some context....but it does work as an abstract , in an odd kind of a way :)

I'm a fan of abstract photography, but I can't really identify what it is, maybe a little too abstract :thinking:

Any from a different angle?

Always good to try different interpretations so thumbs up for that.

Cheers.

good sharp image Fabien, but I'm with some of the others - I thought this was scissors when I first looked and even though I now know whait it is, I'm struggling to see it....maybe if you'd included a little more in the frame?

Hi have to agree with the above comments really struggling to see what it is maybe a higher angle may have helped

Thanks all for your constructive comments.

Maybe I went a bit too fast on that one.
When the theme came out, I knew exactly which subject I wanted. I knew I wouldn’t have much time this week to shoot hence why I am only replying now so I wanted it out of the way quickly.

However, I was happy with the photo I had submitted but from your comments I understand it could be confusing and it could be improved.

I wanted the broken piece of glass and its reflection in focus, which I think is there, to show the fragility of the glass. The frame was not so important to me but I understand now it may have given more context.

It’s interesting that some of you have seen a pair of scissors, it wasn’t intended but I am quite happy with that result.

I do struggle to understand the concept of photo sharpness, so I am bit confused by your comments:
Doesn't look very sharp to me...

great image, lovely and sharp

good sharp image Fabien

So is the photo sharp or not?

Thanks again for your comments.

I agree the sun is a bit squashed at the RHS.
Having said that though I love the colours in this :)

Hi Fabien,

your shot fits the theme very well and the colours are lovely. I agree about the sun being a bit too far to the right, but it is a good first attempt :)

Nice sunset image. I would suggest cropping up to where the lighter sand hits the left hand side. It would bring the horizon - which looks spot on straight - closer to the third and emphasise the super golden colours in the sky more

Those 2 companions are inseparable...

Companions by fabphoto1, on Flickr

This picture has been taken yesterday and the weather wasn't great so we can clearly see the snow flakes, sorry about that.
This week has been either bad weather or couldn't find the right subject.

Last edited:
The hands of the clock are a pair that complement each other
Ah! I get it .. hmm. I will await other responses to see if it is just me who is a bit off the pace on this .. I have to confess it does not convey companionship to me, but as you say, bad weather got in the way of you finding the right subject.
Lets await this evenings announcement and see what next week holds.
Have a great weekend

It took me a moment or two but I got it before you spelt it out.

Nice shot Fabien ... like the none BG.

Tenuous......or should I say lateral thinking :)

The detail in the clock face is nice. I'm not keen on the angle, feels a little awkward. I think I'd prefer it a little further away, face on any maybe a square crop....If that was possible, of course.

Cheers.

Back