weekly Mandy's 2015 52 challenge Week 11 Crowd added

For me it is well composed and lit. The background is perfect and suits the image well. Well done:clap:

Sorry to hear about your job, hope another one comes along soon. You know what they say as one door closes another one opens.

Anti Wrinkle Day Cream :) excellent idea for the theme ... nicely shot but not sure about the shadow, I'm yet to learn about dealing with shadows, any unwanted ones.

... wishing you luck on the work front.

Sorry to hear about the job, hope it works out very soon

Fragile - like this shot, think the lighting is spot on!

For me it is well composed and lit. The background is perfect and suits the image well. Well done:clap:

Sorry to hear about your job, hope another one comes along soon. You know what they say as one door closes another one opens.

Anti Wrinkle Day Cream :) excellent idea for the theme ... nicely shot but not sure about the shadow, I'm yet to learn about dealing with shadows, any unwanted ones.

... wishing you luck on the work front.

Sorry to hear about the job, hope it works out very soon

Fragile - like this shot, think the lighting is spot on!

Thanks all for the comments.

Well things have been against me, bad weather bad health............... the list goes on. So I am a bit late with my themes, and with not wanting to rush them i had to sit on my hands so to speak and bide my time.
For the scenic theme I was planning to visit Lacock abbey, but with the bad weather I was not able to get out. So I have had to come up with an alternative plan, So whilst out for a drive with a friend I came across this view. And I thought it would fit the theme nicely, PP wise all I have done was a crop in LR5 slight colour boost and upped the exposure and clarity. My only niggle I have with this image is with having to edit my images on my titchy laptop screen, I cant make my mind up on if my horizon is straight or not.

Scenic
Scenic by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Week 4 Companions was also shot at the same time as Scenic, when I was in Bourton on the Water for a spot of dinner with my friend. I am not 100% happy with my Image as I was having light issues, as natural daylight was fading fast So for me this is a PABD. On the basis that I was running out of time and Ideas and I may come back to it on a Re Shoot. But having said that after all the bad weather, it has been nice to escape the confines of my flat and get my camera out.

Companions
Companions by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Hi Mandy

Scenic
A nice shot that fits the theme, the sheep add a little interest to the image.
I understand what you mean about the horizon, but you have rolling hills in the distance and sloping ground in the foreground.
the image is also has a lot of noise when view larger on flickr, wonder if that due to over use of the clarity / sharpening

Companions
Sorry doesn't work for me, as the other duck is facing the other way.
Lighting is harsh, i would think you have used on camera flash. The flash excluded the other duck from the photo :(

Hi Mandy,

glad you're managing to catch up.

Scenic - it's a nice view and well on theme. The horizon looks to me like it's just down to the way the land was rolling.

Companions - I agree with Darren about the ighting, the flash has made the background a bit too dark, but if the daylight was fading it wouldn't have helped :)

Hi Mandy ...sounds as if you're having a rough time ....I hope things improve very soon.

I like the idea for Fragile ...good to see a different take on the theme and a nice clean shot.

The horizon may be a tad out on Scenic but it's difficult when there's no straight horizon to follow. Good to see the sheep in the photo adding that extra interest.

Yes it's shame you lost the light on the ducks but as you say you may get a re-shoot in for that one. It's always refreshing to get out with the camera and Bourton on the water is a lovely place to be.

Hi, Scenic, nice light, and low angle. A longer lens would have helped as they are quite far away.

Companions has potential but the on camera flash didn't illuminate enough.

As you say, you got out and are up to date.

Cheers.

Yep you got your camera out. That is what is so good about 52, using your camera more and to take photos that are out of your comfort zone... Not to mention the invaluable feedback that you tend not to get so much in other forums, especially if they're rubbish like mine.

Scenic. I like thee sheep and the rocky ground. It looks a bit barren/moor like which works really well with the sheep. Don't worry about the horizon being level as it as hilly and has trees on. I would go by a vertical which you have in the fence on the left, which is straight. I think there is too much sky which has no colour or cloud interest. I agree a closer shot may have been better but I also thing from a higher perspective.

Companion. I'm really sorry but I also think its not working. Firstly regarding theme. I suppose the ducks could belong to the same flock but other than that I'm not sure of the connection because they're both males and the one is walking away from the other. Technically the light isn't right. I wonder if you'd have been better off upping the ISO rather than using flash. Sorry!!

Hi Mandy

Scenic
A nice shot that fits the theme, the sheep add a little interest to the image.
I understand what you mean about the horizon, but you have rolling hills in the distance and sloping ground in the foreground.
the image is also has a lot of noise when view larger on flickr, wonder if that due to over use of the clarity / sharpening

Companions
Sorry doesn't work for me, as the other duck is facing the other way.
Lighting is harsh, i would think you have used on camera flash. The flash excluded the other duck from the photo :(

Hi Mandy,

glad you're managing to catch up.

Scenic - it's a nice view and well on theme. The horizon looks to me like it's just down to the way the land was rolling.

Companions - I agree with Darren about the ighting, the flash has made the background a bit too dark, but if the daylight was fading it wouldn't have helped :)

Hi Mandy ...sounds as if you're having a rough time ....I hope things improve very soon.

I like the idea for Fragile ...good to see a different take on the theme and a nice clean shot.

The horizon may be a tad out on Scenic but it's difficult when there's no straight horizon to follow. Good to see the sheep in the photo adding that extra interest.

Yes it's shame you lost the light on the ducks but as you say you may get a re-shoot in for that one. It's always refreshing to get out with the camera and Bourton on the water is a lovely place to be.

Hi, Scenic, nice light, and low angle. A longer lens would have helped as they are quite far away.

Companions has potential but the on camera flash didn't illuminate enough.

As you say, you got out and are up to date.

Cheers.

Yep you got your camera out. That is what is so good about 52, using your camera more and to take photos that are out of your comfort zone... Not to mention the invaluable feedback that you tend not to get so much in other forums, especially if they're rubbish like mine.

Scenic. I like thee sheep and the rocky ground. It looks a bit barren/moor like which works really well with the sheep. Don't worry about the horizon being level as it as hilly and has trees on. I would go by a vertical which you have in the fence on the left, which is straight. I think there is too much sky which has no colour or cloud interest. I agree a closer shot may have been better but I also thing from a higher perspective.

Companion. I'm really sorry but I also think its not working. Firstly regarding theme. I suppose the ducks could belong to the same flock but other than that I'm not sure of the connection because they're both males and the one is walking away from the other. Technically the light isn't right. I wonder if you'd have been better off upping the ISO rather than using flash. Sorry!!

Thanks all for the comments, as I say I wasn't happy with my companions shot at all. I tried on camera flash off camera flash and all sorts, so it is one I will come back to. My scenic shot I had fun doing I could of used my longer lens as I had it with me, but I was loosing natural daylight fast and every time I tried to sneak closer to the sheep. They took one look at me and ran for the hills ( no pun Intended ) my scenic shot I am pleased with but I realise it could be much better.

Another two good entries I'd say, your scenic captures a wonderful Country side landscape, and the curious sheep add to the reality,
Your companions also fit the theme, in my opinion, It's a common sight to see two or more male ducks hanging out together, comrades, companions on the pond, shame you lost the light with that one though.
All the best with the rest, looking forward to more !! :)

Scenic, nice image Mandy, and I agree the sheep certainly a little dimension to the image (y)

Companions, two ducks "hanging out" together,
Maybe they've just had a bit of a squabble though? :D
It works for me, and I also like the DoF.
But also I have to agree that the lighting is a little harsh,
but then we are sometimes forced to work with, what we have at the time :)

Another two good entries I'd say, your scenic captures a wonderful Country side landscape, and the curious sheep add to the reality,
Your companions also fit the theme, in my opinion, It's a common sight to see two or more male ducks hanging out together, comrades, companions on the pond, shame you lost the light with that one though.
All the best with the rest, looking forward to more !! :)

Thanks for the comments, and for taking the time to look.

Scenic, nice image Mandy, and I agree the sheep certainly a little dimension to the image (y)

Companions, two ducks "hanging out" together,
Maybe they've just had a bit of a squabble though? :D
It works for me, and I also like the DoF.
But also I have to agree that the lighting is a little harsh,
but then we are sometimes forced to work with, what we have at the time :)

Thanks for the comments and for taking the time to look, I agree the lighting on the ducks is very harsh. But I didn't really know how else to attack the situation, hopefully I have better luck next time.

Hi Mandy, Scenic is a little dark for me you have lost the detail in the sheep and the composition is a little odd good DoF though
the ducks have to agree with whats been said above sorry

Neither scenic or companions does it for me this week I'm afraid.

The scenic is largely empty space and leaves me wishing most of the sky and the grass had been cropped leaving a thin strip with the two sheep in it, just a thought.

Companions: I feel they don't look like companions at all with the rearmost duck seemingly incidental.

PABD -- you are damned! ;) :p

Hi Mandy, Scenic is a little dark for me you have lost the detail in the sheep and the composition is a little odd good DoF though
the ducks have to agree with whats been said above sorry

Neither scenic or companions does it for me this week I'm afraid.

The scenic is largely empty space and leaves me wishing most of the sky and the grass had been cropped leaving a thin strip with the two sheep in it, just a thought.

Companions: I feel they don't look like companions at all with the rearmost duck seemingly incidental.

PABD -- you are damned! ;) :p

Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

well I am pleased to say I am on time with my Elegant image, I had a bit of a think about what I wanted to do for the theme. Then the idea hit me that I was going to to go and find some swans to photograph. To me swans are the most " Elegant " and graceful birds, so Sunday afternoon I braved the cold and the wind and went for a walk. I went over to one of my favourite parts of Cirencester the abbey lake, and sat and watched the birds for a while before setting about to do my shot. Trying to get the shot I was after was entertaining, as soon as I got close the swans would speed off up the other end of the lake. So I sat on the bench and waited a bit more and as luck would have it, both swans came up onto the grassland in front of me. So while they were happily munching away on the grass, I took my opportunity and got the cameras on the go. I must of been out for well over an Hour as my hands were cold my eyes running so I was glad to get home. I have two offerings this week as for the life of me I could not choose between the two. The first image not much PP went into it just colour adjustments, crop and then processed through LR5. For my second image I wanted to focus a bit more on the PP side of things so I learnt how to create a bevelled edge frame in Photoshop, overall I am much happier with my efforts for this week. I must think about going to bed soon as I have a job interview to attend on Monday, so need to be up early to see to my bike etc etc.

Elegant 1
Elegant 1 by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Elegant 2
Elegant 2 by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

I prefer number 1. I like the way the swan is perhaps poised to investigate something in the grass. While I actually prefer the swan in the second picture and the border is a nice touch, the swan's head seems to have a little movement, it might be my eyesight though, it just doesn't seem as clear as the rest of the swan. There is also much more detail in the swan's body in the first picture.

I like Elegant #2 ... like the light on the water, pity there's not more of the swan's reflection. Swans are most elegant.

I rarely have the patience for shooting things that move.

It's number 2 for me as well. Think I may have left a bit more space under the bird to show more of its reflection but swans on water always look elegant. Nice work.

Hi Mandy,

elegant - well on theme. Of the two photos, I prefer number 2. As others have said, it's a shame you couldn't get the whole reflection in shot :)

Hi Mandy,

Elegant - Another vote for #2, not sure about the boarder but that's just my preference :)

I prefer number 1. I like the way the swan is perhaps poised to investigate something in the grass. While I actually prefer the swan in the second picture and the border is a nice touch, the swan's head seems to have a little movement, it might be my eyesight though, it just doesn't seem as clear as the rest of the swan. There is also much more detail in the swan's body in the first picture.

Excellent subject for the theme Mandy, I certainly couldn't think of anything more elegant than Swans, Wonderful captures !! :)

Hi Mandy. For elegance I prefer then pose in number 2. I like the letterbox style.

I like Elegant #2 ... like the light on the water, pity there's not more of the swan's reflection. Swans are most elegant.

I rarely have the patience for shooting things that move.

It's number 2 for me as well. Think I may have left a bit more space under the bird to show more of its reflection but swans on water always look elegant. Nice work.

Hi Mandy
Anorther for #2

Would like to have a little more space like Sara has pointed out, A little more space to the left i also think would be better. That would give the swan somewhere to go - if you know what i mean.
The crop works well.

Hi Mandy,

elegant - well on theme. Of the two photos, I prefer number 2. As others have said, it's a shame you couldn't get the whole reflection in shot :)

Hi Mandy,

Elegant - Another vote for #2, not sure about the boarder but that's just my preference :)

Hi Mandy :)

Elegant 2 for me too, love the colour and patterns of the water, the swan is well exposed too :)

Thanks all for the comments and for taking the time to look. I really appreciate it a great deal, now where's the next theme.

Thanks all for the comments and for taking the time to look. I really appreciate it a great deal, now where's the next theme.

Lol ... I feel the same now. Once I've done one I want to start thinking about the next one. Maybe there could be a supplementary theme each week, or we could go back and have another go at one of the previous ones? Roll on Friday. :)

#2 for me too as I find the bg distracting in #1. I do find the swan's head a little too close to the top of the frame though. Well done for getting out there with everything going on and hope everything picks up soon for you.

The back ground doesn't bother me particularly, in #1, Mandy, and TBH I think it looks more natural than #2.
Although a small levels boost would bring out the swan a bit more I feel.

Hope the interview went well BTW. (y)

Hi Mandy, 2 for me also though its very tight in the frame, needs a little space

Hi, Mandy, hope the interview went well.

I think #2 is a little tight but I like #1, a little under exposed but well composed.

Cheers.

No 2 for me - swans are very elegant so fit the theme well

Lol ... I feel the same now. Once I've done one I want to start thinking about the next one. Maybe there could be a supplementary theme each week, or we could go back and have another go at one of the previous ones? Roll on Friday. :)

Number 2 for me Mandy. Well within theme and a nice image. Good stuff!!

#2 for me too as I find the bg distracting in #1. I do find the swan's head a little too close to the top of the frame though. Well done for getting out there with everything going on and hope everything picks up soon for you.

The back ground doesn't bother me particularly, in #1, Mandy, and TBH I think it looks more natural than #2.
Although a small levels boost would bring out the swan a bit more I feel.

Hope the interview went well BTW. (y)

Hi Mandy, 2 for me also though its very tight in the frame, needs a little space

One of my idea for this week is also swans but yours are a lot better. For elegant I would pick number 2. Just a pity one of her/his leg is not fully in the water.

Hi, Mandy, hope the interview went well.

I think #2 is a little tight but I like #1, a little under exposed but well composed.

Cheers.

No 2 for me - swans are very elegant so fit the theme well

Thanks everyone for taking the time to stop and look, I agree with the second image needing a bit more space. Which I could of done had I worked out my sizing properly for the frame, but it was my first ever go at doing that kind of frame. But I have learnt something new in pp so I can improve next time hopefully.

Scenic: I am liking the golden glow feel to the photo.

Companions. For me I am liking the way the lighting has worked on this shot. Shame the second duck didn't play ball and face the camera.

Elegant. Swans very elegant indeed. For me its your second picture, nothing more elegant than a swan being in water. Also like the letterbox style. Must try this one day:thinking:

great that you are trying new editing> it's certainly a new learning curve for me.

Hi Mandy quick catch up.
Scenic - yes its a tad dark but a nice shot I like it.
Companions - No comment ;)
Elegant - Shot 2 for me and pos my favorite of all the swan pics this week.

Back