weekly Posiview's TP52 2015. Week 52 Christmas added and FINISHED :)

Hi Andy :wave:

Bliss, having been out with Lynne for a week a get the lone tree thing, she was always looking for them here! I like the triptych but agree it would look better as three images without the border.

Fragile, LOL, were your eyes really that red? I have too many memories of feeling that rough, not any more though, my two 6 o'clock alarms do not have a quiet volume!

Cheers, little PP was done to my eyes :)
Waiting for that elusive tree shot :tumbleweed:

Tick tock tick tock.....the suspense is killing me ;)

Posted in a mo :)

Scenic.

Not too happy if I'm honest. It was a great day, don't get me wrong, and I thought metering for the snow would not be a problem because I've researched it. Not too bad with #2, but it was quite dark so I was a little lost with #1 :thinking: and the snow looks underexposed/grey/blue. Any tips would be welcome. Believe it or not nothing is over exposed, even though the sky behind the tree looks like it is.

#2, well, I was so focused on the light on the tree and snow, then I recalled watching a tog video and the guy said, "don't forget to turn around!", so I did and the light on the snow was amazing :)

If you've visited the tree you'll know the limestone can be a little treacherous, well when it was covered in snow it was not easy, almost twisted my ankle a few times :eek:

I stood for a good 30 minutes just looking at the wonderful light.

I have another question about a pano I took. It's 15,000 pixels wide and 3,500 high and when I resize the quality is really bad. Any tips to overcome this would be appreciated (y)

Cheers.

Week 4 Scenic by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Week 4 Scenic 2 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

and the snow looks underexposed/grey/blue. Any tips would be welcome. Believe it or not nothing is over exposed, even though the sky behind the tree looks like it is.
I took a screen grab and ran it through ACR, and as I thought,
I would suggest that its a WB issue rather than an exposure problem.
As you say ACR confirms that it is all properly exposed.

I kinda feel that I maybe teaching you to suck eggs here,
but have you tried or did you try using cloudy as a WB setting?
That tends to warm things up a tad :)

I love the first one, especially, the snow covered humps, look like a flock of sheep (y)

Hi Andy, I love the lone tree. and the light in both of them looks gorgeous, very soft. I'd be chuffed if my snow photos came out like that, not that I've taken any this year. Can't help with your questions though - sorry

Hi Andy, I really like the first one, is the colour of the snow not due to the very low orangey sun and the highlights and shadows its creating either way its great pic :clap:
The second one does seem slightly off WB wise it looks a little yellowish :thinking:

I took a screen grab and ran it through ACR, and as I thought,
I would suggest that its a WB issue rather than an exposure problem.
As you say ACR confirms that it is all properly exposed.

I kinda feel that I maybe teaching you to suck eggs here,
but have you tried or did you try using cloudy as a WB setting?
That tends to warm things up a tad :)

I love the first one, especially, the snow covered humps, look like a flock of sheep (y)

Hi, just double checked and the WB is set to cloudy :)

Appreciate the advice, though :)

Flocks of sheep, just looked and that's a great thought.

Cheers.

Hi Andy, I love the lone tree. and the light in both of them looks gorgeous, very soft. I'd be chuffed if my snow photos came out like that, not that I've taken any this year. Can't help with your questions though - sorry

Thanks for the comments. The light and colours were great. Can't wait to get back there is the summer :)

Cheers.

Not got time to comment, but was updating the sheet, HAD to pop in just to say WOW at that first one :clap:

BBL

Cheers, Dean. Scenic, I've been so slack on comments so no problems.

Hi Andy, I really like the first one, is the colour of the snow not due to the very low orangey sun and the highlights and shadows its creating either way its great pic :clap:
The second one does seem slightly off WB wise it looks a little yellowish :thinking:

Yeah, I'd agree about #1, I think I got too caught up in the technicalities. Good point re #2, I think my processing was geared towards getting the orange glow. The SOOC is quite cool/blue and in actual fact I think I prefer it that way.

Appreciate the suggestions (y)

Cheers.

Scene - I love the tree and the nice tones in the sky, I have to agree with Chris the snow on the humps do look a bit like sheep.

Scenic

Has to be the lone tree photo for me.
Like the central composition of the tree and the PoV

I like the tree Scenic, Andy.

Phil

Love the tree scenic Andy. The lines between the humps and the quality of the light on the snow work really well.

Hi Andy...I was wondering you were and was getting theworldwillend syndrome.

Personally I think they're fabulous, I wouldn't change anything about them, they have a wonderful soft glow.... as Allan says it's perfectly in keeping with the low sun....very nice indeed :clap:

Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. I am very critical of my submission.

Also, apologies if I have not posted of your Scenic submissions, I rarely miss commenting but 't's been a busy week.

Cheers.

Image No 1, I think that's part of your problem here Andy, that you haven't over exposed them enough, with snow shots you normally have to overexpose the image, left to its own devices the camera will try to evaluate and average all the tones and it generally comes up with middle grey or there abouts, the snow fools the camera's metering.
I normally a focus on a well lit area of snow and dial in about +1 EV of compensation, after dialing in the compensation I take a meter reading on the light area then flick to manual and dial in that aperture and shutter speed so nothing changes. Then take a shot, the histogram should be ramped up to the right as far as! I found that deleting images in the camera cos they look over is a mistake! Until you look at them on the screen, you can't really tell. Also sometimes I have found using flash WB works because snow has a bit of blue cast.
I hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs! If so tell me to do one!

I also think that as mentioned above the colour of the sun might have something to do with it, but generally the brighter the day the day or ambient light is the more compensation you have to add.

Anyhow I love image No1, love the silhouette of the tree against the sun, I don't think the white is too off. (Look in the well lit areas to the right) I think the shadow cast by the tree is giving you the grey cast as its under exposure of the snow in that area. I love those great segmented slabs of snow, and the sun brushing across the snow tablets.

Hope this makes sense and you probably know all this anyhow so.....:coat:
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
That was worth the wait. I don't care so much for the second shot, but the tree is a cracker. The white balance doesn't bother me at all. Composition is spot on, and the light is lovely.

Yep number 1 is fab and yes they have a sheep like appearance. Very envious of this image :)

Gaz

Lone tree shot is lovely Andy, well worth the trip just for that.

That was worth the wait. I don't care so much for the second shot, but the tree is a cracker. The white balance doesn't bother me at all. Composition is spot on, and the light is lovely.

Yep number 1 is fab and yes they have a sheep like appearance. Very envious of this image :)

Gaz

Cheers guys and apologies again if I haven't commented on your Scenic submissions, I won't be as slack next week (y)

Image No 1, I think that's part of your problem here Andy, that you haven't over exposed them enough, with snow shots you normally have to overexpose the image, left to its own devices the camera will try to evaluate and average all the tones and it generally comes up with middle grey or there abouts, the snow fools the camera's metering.
I normally a focus on a well lit area of snow and dial in about +1 EV of compensation, after dialing in the compensation I take a meter reading on the light area then flick to manual and dial in that aperture and shutter speed so nothing changes. Then take a shot, the histogram should be ramped up to the right as far as! I found that deleting images in the camera cos they look over is a mistake! Until you look at them on the screen, you can't really tell. Also sometimes I have found using flash WB works because snow has a bit of blue cast.
I hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs! If so tell me to do one!

I also think that as mentioned above the colour of the sun might have something to do with it, but generally the brighter the day the day or ambient light is the more compensation you have to add.

Anyhow I love image No1, love the silhouette of the tree against the sun, I don't think the white is too off. (Look in the well lit areas to the right) I think the shadow cast by the tree is giving you the grey cast as its under exposure of the snow in that area. I love those great segmented slabs of snow, and the sun brushing across the snow tablets.

Hope this makes sense and you probably know all this anyhow so.....:coat:
Cheers
Steve

@69Bonni Hi steve, really appreciate the time you've taken to feedback.

I've used Manual since I think the second week I bought my camera and it tends to work for me. For the tree photograph I spot metered off the snow and added +2 exposure that should mean the snow, and indeed all the scene, to be correctly exposed. My main issue, thought, was the sky. If I exposed any higher the sky was completely blown out. I had 6 stops of grad filter with me, but using them made the trees very dark. I also increased exposure in lightroom on tthe snow but it looked very odd :)

Of course, if im on the wrong track please let me know :)

Thanks again for comments and suggestions (y)

Cheers.

Last edited:
We never get enough snow down here to really practice on, so I'm completely out of any suggestions / help on technique etc . . . but that lone tree shot is absolutely lovely.
Gorgeous light, great texture and detail in the 'sheep' :LOL: - it really is a beautiful image.

If I was going to be ultra-picky I'd ask for just a little more space at the top of the frame, but I really, really like it :)

We never get enough snow down here to really practice on, so I'm completely out of any suggestions / help on technique etc . . . but that lone tree shot is absolutely lovely.
Gorgeous light, great texture and detail in the 'sheep' :LOL: - it really is a beautiful image.

If I was going to be ultra-picky I'd ask for just a little more space at the top of the frame, but I really, really like it :)

Thanks, Sarah, you are absolutely right about the top of rhe frame. In the SOOC the horizon was a little off, despite using the level on the tripod and vertical horizon, and when I leveled in LR I lost a little.

Cheers.

Another who loves the tree shot. Worth going up there and (no doubt) getting pretty cold for. Snow is always challenging, so good job.

@69Bonni Hi steve, really appreciate the time you've taken to feedback.

I've used Manual since I think the second week I bought my camera and it tends to work for me. For the tree photograph I spot metered off the snow and added +2 exposure that should mean the snow, and indeed all the scene, to be correctly exposed. My main issue, thought, was the sky. If I exposed any higher the sky was completely blown out. I had 6 stops of grad filter with me, but using them made the trees very dark. I also increased exposure in lightroom on tthe snow but it looked very odd :)

Of course, if im on the wrong track please let me know :)

Thanks again for comments and suggestions (y)

Cheers.
I do try to give useful feedback (where I can) I think it's what it's all about.

Rats:eek: It's going to be one of "those" exposures then, I sort of guessed I might have been teaching you to suck eggs:( but you never know. I wish I knew which track to take now with it, if I did I'd help willingly!

Looks like you've covered all the bases, yeah I guess even if you'd used the grads, you wouldn't have been able to recover the tree by pulling up the shadows. Sounds like the only way out would be exposure blending:rolleyes:. I have a heap of shots that I'm going to 'sort', 'one day';) You know those shots that you can't give up on, they might not have any merit but your just not going to be beaten by them! It's silly really because rather than spending hours and hours at the computer you could just go and damn well re shoot it.
I hope you get a bit further down the road with it Andy .... It's a nice shot.

Sorry couldn't come up with anything more constructive!
Cheers
Steve

I do try to give useful feedback (where I can) I think it's what it's all about.

Rats:eek: It's going to be one of "those" exposures then, I sort of guessed I might have been teaching you to suck eggs:( but you never know. I wish I knew which track to take now with it, if I did I'd help willingly!

Looks like you've covered all the bases, yeah I guess even if you'd used the grads, you wouldn't have been able to recover the tree by pulling up the shadows. Sounds like the only way out would be exposure blending:rolleyes:. I have a heap of shots that I'm going to 'sort', 'one day';) You know those shots that you can't give up on, they might not have any merit but your just not going to be beaten by them! It's silly really because rather than spending hours and hours at the computer you could just go and damn well re shoot it.
I hope you get a bit further down the road with it Andy .... It's a nice shot.

Sorry couldn't come up with anything more constructive!
Cheers
Steve

Steve, I really appreciate your comments and I'd have no problems saying the same to anyone else. I'd rather, as you say, teach someone to suck eggs, than not offer advice and have someone continue to make mistakes :)

Cheers (y)

#1 was one of those, "Pull over!" moments. Lynne was driving and Jackie/Isabelle were also in the car....so we had breakfast first:)

The light was as flat as a very flat thing so B&W was the only way to go. I wanted a hight contrast, industrial feel to it. They were side by side, but I made a dyptich and flipped them so they were facing each other. The fact that they were not symmetrical was a little :jawdrop:

#2, we saw loads of couples walking along the promenade and then I saw the life buoy and accompanying sign so Companion sprung to mind.

#2 is added for a laugh and #1 is my main submission.

Cheers all.

Week 4 Companion by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Week 4 Companion 2 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Your choice is a standout shot Andy. The diptych works really well and the fact that they are 2 different cranes adds to the shot. I also like the 2nd one too. Spotting things like that is a talent that comes in really handy for photographers!

The industrial feel certainly come across in the processing Andy,
Nice diptych indeed (y)

As an aside, it looks like they are just about to play a giant game of conkers :D

Scenic - just love the tree version. Great lines, snow and warm sun colours
Companions - I do like the idea of the diptych, this works really well with the cranes and their angles. Great gritty feel too

Great shots Andy - nice different take on the theme and works really well :)

Your choice is a standout shot Andy. The diptych works really well and the fact that they are 2 different cranes adds to the shot. I also like the 2nd one too. Spotting things like that is a talent that comes in really handy for photographers!

Cheers, I see photography opportunities everywhere :)

The industrial feel certainly come across in the processing Andy,
Nice diptych indeed (y)

As an aside, it looks like they are just about to play a giant game of conkers :D

Cheers, giant conkers, now there's one for the Mega Meet :)

Scenic - just love the tree version. Great lines, snow and warm sun colours
Companions - I do like the idea of the diptych, this works really well with the cranes and their angles. Great gritty feel too

Cheers, the tree has gone down well, which is nice :)

I rode past those cranes this morning and companions instantly sprang to mind lol. Great shots, and a good idea using the diptych. (y)

You had the same thought, nice one.

Cranes Companions; Nice take on the theme, B&W suits the subject well. I can't help feeling that by merging the two photos together would make a better or worse idea? :thinking:

Buoy Companions; Well spotted and I quite like it.

I'll have a look a merging them (y)

Companions - nice to see a different take on the theme, a very good find indeed. Splendid work like the way the image is presented and the b&w conversion.

Cheers, always good to think outside the box (y)

Great shots Andy - nice different take on the theme and works really well :)

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers all.

Back