weekly sr1867 ~ 52 ~ 2014 : Support ~ DONE ~ DUSTED ~ FINISHED ~ COMPLETE.

Agree with what Martin said earlier... had the DOF been used to blow out the background slightly it would have made for an even spookier theme... but the pic is on theme and I quite like it... nice job...

Hi ya

you just happen to have an old skull lying round ??? though I think Andy has one or 2 as well but not the human variety ...at least I hope not :D

good on you for not using an old photo...this one is seriously....only word I can think of of macbre......, the stuff nightmares are made of....but there's something I really like about it :eek:

Nowt wrong with a good skull :)

Like it. The composition works for me as does the detail in the smoke.

Wider DOF to get the cig in focus is only crit.

Cheers,

I like this. The DoF on the skull is just right although as has been said the ash end of the cigarette would have been improved by including that in focus. The smoke has been well handled as well.

My word how difficult did I make this week. :banghead:
They are just rocks for crying out loud they are not even moving just take the photo.

Rant over time to move on week 7 here I come.

Week 06 ~ Mineral
by sr_1867, on Flickr

Good use of props for smoke, well lit and executed.
In mineral I think the light and composition is a little unflattering, some nice patterns in them stones though.

The 'rocks' have some good contrasting colours and patterns, well lit (y) but I'm also not too sure about composition and bg :thinking:

Hi Simon, sorry I've not been here before now, I've had a quick look through your other shots, loving that subbuteo shot.

As for mineral, yes the flash has thrown some harsh shadows onto the background. A black background would be more fitting I feel, but then I am thinking these stones would suit a mono shot using natural light on them, or defused flash light. Do you have a reflector? I did some stones for last years 52 in mono and used a reflector to bounce some natural light back in the darker areas rather than use a flash. Lovely detail on the stones though :)

Some nice patterns in those stones, but they don't seem to be as prominent as they could be.

Completely agree with you it was only taking a shot of something that was neither vegetable nor animal - I procrastinated it until Friday night :LOL:

Not sure about the shadows or the background but there is good detail in the rocks.

Hi Simon

on theme , lovely details in the stones & good to see a non black or white bg for a change :) That said I reckon this might work well in mono with slightly softer lighting......

Sometimes the seemingly simplest of props create the biggest headache's ;)

Hi Simon :)

Looks like all the crit has been covered already... my main one is the colour background, takes away from the stones too much for me, and maybe a bit of white card to reflect the light back into the shadow areas... good detail brought out of the stones though mate :)

A sense of danger too.

Certainly......... 'a sense of impending pain' :D

just to add in the interests of health and safety Mrs sr1867 was not injured in the taking of this picture.

Last edited:
Good idea but i would have taken a little off the bottom and added to the left :thinking: or maybe just a wider shot altogether

Back