aliengrove TP 52 2018 : Week 16-Shadow

Your first Wet shot is stunning, well done.
I like the clothed figures with the nude statue for Juxta too....
I think the camera back shot could have worked with less info on the screenback.

I think I prefer the Yashica shot a lot of information on that screen :eek:

Juxtaposition

I like them both, but I'm leaning more towards the camera shot.

Hi Jon,

Heavy - A bit of a shoe-horn, but hey :) I like the shadow, I like the sharpness, but as there isn't anything going on in the background to distract (and it's a clearly different colour), I think I might have tried a deeper DoF to keep the whole thing in focus. Dunno... What do you think?

Wet - Love the vibrancy, Love the blues and yellows, love that it's not long exposure. Really like the shot :)
I'm going to nit pick about the dust bunnies though. A couple more minutes in the editor of your choice would have elevated the image as the two bunnies do distract.
I agree this one is the pick over your second choice.

Juxtaposition - I love the cameras shot, it really does capture the essence of juxtaposition. Even more interesting that you don't see the Yashica in the image except for in the LCD.
The second shot made me chuckle. Juxtaposition in two ways really. The obvious and also the fact that you bought Wine Bottle covers in an almost dry country.

Apologies, I've just started work after two months off, so I've got behind on your comments. Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment; I am still trying to catch up on everyone 'entries.

All of your Juxtaposition shots work for me Sir, but my fav' would be the old Yashica 6 x 6 camera in the screen of the Sony. "Great Idea"(y)

George.

Thanks, George. I actually took another shot just for fun while playing around having this image shot through another camera.

Both work well for the theme Jon, I think the camera one has more impact, I like all the details displayed on the screen, it really emphasises modern technology versus the old.

Your Wet Sunset photo by the way is fabulous, full of atmosphere.

It seems most people preferred the camera shot, though personally I prefer the other image. It amused when I thought of it. Maybe because I have history with Qatar.....

Ooh, I do like that first image for Wet with the super sky and foreground details, Jon. It's all too easy to get caught by a wave near rocks like that so you did well to keep your camera gear dry :)

Both images for Juxtaposition are well thought-out and work very well. The second is funny and works on more than one level, but I just prefer the first as it's such a clear juxtaposition of old and new technology and I have a soft spot for old cameras (y)

Thanks, I was happy to get the sunset shot without getting wet! I missed a couple of dust bunnies in processing... Both Juxtaposition images were fun to put together, I'm loving how this challenge is making me experiment.

Juxtaposition ... old/new ... Yes why not! Therefore the cameras are on theme, and I love it. And the Sony surrounded by OOFness works. (y)

Thanks! It was fun putting it together.

What a nice Yashica! Great setup and composition!

The second photo is quite funny and works for the theme.

Thanks for the comments. I must use the Yashica more. I've got loads of film for it. The light meter is broken, but I have a lovely old selenium cell lightmeter I use with it.

Both work for me on juxtaposition, but I like the #2 fun shot more.

Thanks, Dave, it's my favourite too!

Your first Wet shot is stunning, well done.
I like the clothed figures with the nude statue for Juxta too....
I think the camera back shot could have worked with less info on the screenback.

Thanks. I actually took a couple of shots with less information on the screen, but thought that the huge amount of information on the screen emphasised the juxtaposition between old and new more.

I think I prefer the Yashica shot a lot of information on that screen :eek:

Thanks, Allan.

Juxtaposition

I like them both, but I'm leaning more towards the camera shot.

Thanks, it seems most people prefer the camera shot.

Hi Jon,

Heavy - A bit of a shoe-horn, but hey :) I like the shadow, I like the sharpness, but as there isn't anything going on in the background to distract (and it's a clearly different colour), I think I might have tried a deeper DoF to keep the whole thing in focus. Dunno... What do you think?

Wet - Love the vibrancy, Love the blues and yellows, love that it's not long exposure. Really like the shot :)
I'm going to nit pick about the dust bunnies though. A couple more minutes in the editor of your choice would have elevated the image as the two bunnies do distract.
I agree this one is the pick over your second choice.

Juxtaposition - I love the cameras shot, it really does capture the essence of juxtaposition. Even more interesting that you don't see the Yashica in the image except for in the LCD.
The second shot made me chuckle. Juxtaposition in two ways really. The obvious and also the fact that you bought Wine Bottle covers in an almost dry country.

With the Heavy shot, I was pretty close to the cactus, I think I shot it at f11, so not much scope for increasing DOF without diffraction problems. It was hand-held, so couldn't really stack images. Wet, I just messed up missing the dust bunnies. I've edited it since posting the image. With juxtaposition, I probably had more fun with this theme than any other.

Last edited:
Week 13-Oval

I've been looking around for oval things, but kept coming back to eggs...Of course, eggs are such an obvious choice for the theme, that at first I was reluctant to follow this route. But, with no better ideas, I decided to try and do something different with an egg. Then I ate it on toast.

The shot was taken with an old Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm f2, using 16mm extension tubes. Other equipment included a tripod, an Easter egg box, some black spray paint, and a head torch.

Ovum contriti by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good photo, good light, good colours and textures! It looks like it’s about to hatch...

Really cool shot Jon

I like what you have done with the egg the cracks and the light through it but it is floating

Very nice presentation Sir, very creative, with some nice lighting & colours.(y)

George.

Juxtaposition; I like both shots and both are interesting ideas. For the second shot, I thought even just one wine cover is enough for the theme; Arab and wine just doesn't go together!

Oval; another interesting shot. Very detailed and texture, I thought the image looks like a shot of an elongated sun!

Thanks, I was happy to get the sunset shot without getting wet! I missed a couple of dust bunnies in processing... Both Juxtaposition images were fun to put together, I'm loving how this challenge is making me experiment.

I agree, it's my favourite aspect of the 52 as I've taken images I would never have tried or thought of otherwise.

That's a cracking (ha!) image for Oval. I love the unusual treatment and colours and the way the cracks are radiating out from the centre. It looks almost like a distant planet :clap:

Juxtapostion - both work well for the theme but I like the cameras shot best
Oval - great image, I love the light through shell and the cracks :clap:

Good photo, good light, good colours and textures! It looks like it’s about to hatch...

Thanks! I was hoping to get it looking like it was hatching, only got one crack of the egg though..

Really cool shot Jon

Thanks!

I like what you have done with the egg the cracks and the light through it but it is floating

Thanks

Very nice presentation Sir, very creative, with some nice lighting & colours.(y)

George.

Thanks, George, it was fun putting it together.

Juxtaposition; I like both shots and both are interesting ideas. For the second shot, I thought even just one wine cover is enough for the theme; Arab and wine just doesn't go together!

Oval; another interesting shot. Very detailed and texture, I thought the image looks like a shot of an elongated sun!

No, Arab and winedoesn't gp together, so another juxtaposition! :ROFLMAO:

Oval is one of the best so far for the theme, great lighting and bg sets it off to a T, hatching critters too.

Thanks Dave

Looks alien, I really like it, great idea

Yup, really like the effect you've gotten there.
No issue with the lack of shadow, I feel this works well like this.
The colours coming through the shell are really strong :)

Thanks

What a neat idea. And the crack adds value. :clap:

Thanks for commenting

I agree, it's my favourite aspect of the 52 as I've taken images I would never have tried or thought of otherwise.

That's a cracking (ha!) image for Oval. I love the unusual treatment and colours and the way the cracks are radiating out from the centre. It looks almost like a distant planet :clap:

I took another end on that I think looks like the sun.

Jon

What a great image for Oval, love the colour and the light, don't know how you did it.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. I used an Easter egg box that had an egg shaped cutout in it, painted it black, then used a headtorch to shine through the egg.

Oval

A very striking shot, the cracks and light make for an interesting photograph.

Thanks. I think it's my favourite shot for the 52 so far

Oval - like that mate. Reminds me of the process of candling.

Thanks, though not sure what candling is?

Juxtapostion - both work well for the theme but I like the cameras shot best
Oval - great image, I love the light through shell and the cracks :clap:

Thanks. Most people seemd to prefer the camera shot for juxtaposition

Fabulous lighting for Oval, it makes for a really eye catching shot Jon, definitely one of the best for the topic :clap:

Thanks, Susie. I think it's my favourite out of all the images I've taken for the 52 so far

Agree with Dave, this is a great take on the image.
I especially like how you've added extra oof relevant objects to complete the scene, such as the shot glass.
I'm searching the image for a hint of a revolver ;)

Beat me to it today, had my cards out ready for the shot !
Nicely done tho, I like it a lot.

Hello Jon

Oval, very clever capture, well thought out, like it.
Straight: think its superb, great detail and works well with the glass.(y)

Walter

I like straight, good idea for the theme, well composed and a good mono conversion.

I love the shot, great idea for the theme. I'd not considered using cards. It works well in b&w and the DoF is good, nice work

Straight shot is an excellent idea Sir, and works really well for the theme, all blends together nicely with the oof glass in the background.(y)

George.

Straight, nice image, good oof background, I'm not sure but thumb may be better in focus?
Nice conversion, adds to the age I think the image should be.

Pete

Straight
Nice, my kind of photo. Well composed and I like the table with the glass of drink being nicely oof.

Hi Jon, big catch up from me

Heavy - Didn't get this till I saw the title. Nice sharp image and it stands out well against the dark bg
Wet - Sit one for me, nice light and I like the sea coming between the rocks like a river
Juxtaposition - Very clever 1st shot but the second one did make me laugh
Oval - I really like this. Love the way it looks like it is glowing from inside
Straight - Nice idea, definitely a down and dirty grungy look. I like it

Back