weekly Bebop's 52 for 2017 thread - week 52 Weather - done

C...

@Dark Knight I like that this challenge is making me do different sorts of photography, even if I am always behind! I still have 9 weeks to catch up on :rolleyes: but hope to break even by the end of the year (y)

The light was amazing on the lifeboat station for just a few minutes. By the time I got nearer, when there was a nice shot to be had underneath the piles, the nice light had gone.
There were people barbecuing on the beach and I now realise I missed my opportunity to get Smoke sorted too! :banghead:
Typical missing the smoke shot, but hey still got some crackers !!

Clean is bang on for the theme, nice crisp whites and even the pegs look clean.
Curves is very good, well controlled light, like the strong shadow and the curves within curves in the marble

Hey BeBop.

Attractive - Can't fault you picking this shot for the theme.
Very sharp yet grainy, I really like the editing.
Dark - I immediately liked the red windows as a contrast to the blues before reading your comment on the image. That i's a reflection of the sunset takes it to another level.
Architecture - Nice clean image and on-theme, but I would put this as the weakest of the 4. I dunno, but it doesn't jump put at me.
Pleasure - Now this one made me smile. I can just imagine the chap on camera left saying "it was this big", so it's telling a story :)

Clean - I like the use of shallow DoF to contrast the red and blue pegs against the sky. Well composed too, with the use of diagonals. I like this shot.
Curves - An interesting thing, and lovely colours captured there. This I like too.

Vehicle - It's a panning shot, the stationary vehicles are going to be blurred. This point is that your subject isn't, and as far as I can see at this resolution, it's sharp enough. That's going to be quite a difficult pan, as as well as the horizontal motion, you have vertical and possible a twist too. Well played getting that one (y)

Thanks @LC2.
Architecture - I got some more shots of the lifeboat station that I thought were a better composition, but the light had gone. I went with the better light.
Dark - It was an unusual circumstance, but I know it needs explaining so probably not my best theme contribution.
Clean - I'm glad you noticed the colour of the pegs - I did choose them deliberately!! (Neighbours must have thought I was bonkers.)
Pleasure - made me smile as these guys obviously spotted me trying to get their photo (I had a long lens). When I explained the theme was pleasure, they said 'oh well I might be able to help you out there' :D We had a giggle but they were happy for me to take their shot.

I've got some more panning shots to put up - still trying to catch up!!

Another strong catch-up! Favourites would be Contrast and the very effective zooming, Dark for the great red reflections in the upstairs windows and the lingering blue tones in the sky, and the bright pegs and white fabrics in Clean. Oh, and the marble in Curves with the great reflection/shadow effect :clap:

I always think pictures of people taking pictures are good value. This is different, two hands and a phone out of an old train carriage window. (y)

Hi Bebop.

Evolved - Not quite sure that traction engines evolved into military lorries ;) but that's a nice line up and good job getting the shot without hordes of people in the way.

Smoke - That's not a shot I believe we've had for the theme. Nicely done getting a different perspective. You've got the panning done well, looks pretty much spot on.
Did you take any which weren't panning shots, having the fire / smoke in sharp focus and the bikes with motion blur? Would be interesting to contrast them if you did.

Transport - Just the right shutter speed there, keeping the vehicle and driver sharp, but allowing motion blur into the spokes of the wheels.

Progress - You can't beat an Ivatt 2MT, and that's Wooton isn't it? I may have tried a tighter crop to remove the camera phone, but then maybe you lose too much context. Dunno.

Hi Bebop.
Evolved - Not quite sure that traction engines evolved into military lorries ;) but that's a nice line up and good job getting the shot without hordes of people in the way.
Well not quite, but I was thinking more along the lines of, from steam, to petrol.... when you're desperate and all that :D

Smoke - That's not a shot I believe we've had for the theme. Nicely done getting a different perspective. You've got the panning done well, looks pretty much spot on.
Did you take any which weren't panning shots, having the fire / smoke in sharp focus and the bikes with motion blur? Would be interesting to contrast them if you did.

Transport - Just the right shutter speed there, keeping the vehicle and driver sharp, but allowing motion blur into the spokes of the wheels.

Progress - You can't beat an Ivatt 2MT, and that's Wooton isn't it? I may have tried a tighter crop to remove the camera phone, but then maybe you lose too much context. Dunno.
It was indeed Wootton! I wanted a photo without that phone, but then it occurred to me it showed the progress in Technology.
I wish I had taken a few shots at higher speeds of the smoke. Sadly it was all over rather quickly, but I did get this one of a 10year old boy coming through. It doesn't work for me with the crowd in the background. Too much clutter.

edit: I've just realised you don't mean faster shutter speeds, you just mean not panning. I wish I had thought of that :banghead:

Thanks for taking the time to comment @LC2

170827131432-BC542872.jpg

Last edited:
Week 29 Fruits

Another catch up. I'm still missing a couple of weeks, but I'll get there. This was breakfast, and I made myself wait today. I've been planning this shot for ages, but I'm always too hungry! :D

Week 29 Fruits
by Bebop on Talk Photography

Hi there I'm completely behind with your thread but I've had a good look through, some smashing photos in there. The stand out ones for me are the minimalist shot of the boats ...so tranquil and peaceful, I really like it, and the flower for Contrast, that's a stunning image.
On to this page, Smoke is amazing, brilliantly captured, what a daredevil to do something like that for a living.
The dark against the bright Fruit makes for an eye catching image ...it works really well.
I forgot to mention Face ....and Curves ....both excellent.

Last edited:
Thank you @Dark Knight :)

@susiejb I've been so behind, please don't worry about being behind on comments, and thank you for stopping by with your kind comments. I am terribly behind on comments! One day I'll catch up on a few of those too! :)

Well done on catching up. I like the colours and tones in the fruit but find the highlights a tad distracting although they are very hard to deal with, nice sharp shot.

Vehicle
4 vehicles you got there. Some nice colours there and it's a good action shot

Well done on catching up. I like the colours and tones in the fruit but find the highlights a tad distracting although they are very hard to deal with, nice sharp shot.
I thought it needed some specular highlights to make the fruit look juicy, but I agree some of the highlights are a bit much on the bowl. And there are a few marks on the glass too :rolleyes: I used natural light and a reflector and it was a reflective black granite tile underneath. I think it would have been a nightmare with flash :)

Bit over processed for me, sorry, well done for getting something in for the theme though

A catch up on comments from me, love your smoke shot, great action photo and vivid too. Nice colours in fruit, huge old tree, occupation, well Pearls a singer! I like it.

Hi BeBop,

Large - Looks like you've gotten down really low to get that angle. Works well and (y) for not blowing the sky whilst getting the detail.

Occupation - Absolutely disagree with Chris here, I love the processing. It's got detail, it's got contrast, it's got story
:clap: :clap: Fantastic.
I could see that on the inside cover of a live album (you know the ones where they have random photos from shows and backstage).

Back