weekly Bernd's 52 in 2018 - week 21/22: hard/creatures

Good take, well seen and suits the mono. You could reuse that for unattractive :)
Thank you Chris! I quite like brutalist architecture and I thing the NT is a very beautiful example of it, bit each to their own :)

Great take on theme, goes bang on in mono too all straight and correct.
Thanks Dave!

Good take, agree with everyone it works well B/W.
Thanks Walter!

:plus1: +I like the B&Wness. (y)
Thank you David!

Nice idea for the theme. Very 70's architecture, straight lines and concrete.
Thanks Stan!

In keeping with the environmentalist tone that's popular for this theme... every Thursday morning we face the same scene in our hood: people without front gardens aren't allowed wheelie bins, so they have to put bin bags on the pavement on Wednesday night. During the night the urban foxes have a feast, and then on Thursday morning what's left over from the bags gets collected...

week 15: unattractive
by Bernd, on Flickr

Last edited:
In keeping with the environmentalist tone that's popular for this theme...
(y)

every Thursday morning we face the same scene in our hood: people without front gardens aren't allowed wheelie bins, so they have to put bin bags on the pavement on Wednesday night. During the night the urban foxes have a feast, and then on Thursday morning what's left over from the bags gets collected...

Lovely! I do hope the sweepers come round just after the bin lorry's been, as they do here in lbhf.

Hi Bernd, your subject for Straight is perfect for the theme; lots of straight lines and not even an attempt at a curve. B&W is the right choice, too :clap:
Unattractive - it certainly is and looks horrible as well as unhygienic. Good choice to have a bag of rubbish in the foreground with another in the background.

Hi B, looks like Bethnal Green on a good day ! Sympathise if the pic is your 'hood as thats not looking nice at all.....

That certainly is unattractive, I like the composition with the second bag further down the road

straight - I thought that was the NT too. Fairly unmistakable. Mono suits brutalist and brutalist suits the theme.
Unattractive - Isn't it odd how so many of us had the same idea for this theme, and yet the images are all different. Certainly works for the theme and I like the way that you've captured the rubbish in the only lit part of the image.

Lovely! I do hope the sweepers come round just after the bin lorry's been, as they do here in lbhf.
Thank you David! I think at Lambeth council there are different departments for the sweepers and the bin lorries, they don't talk to each other...

Hi Bernd, your subject for Straight is perfect for the theme; lots of straight lines and not even an attempt at a curve. B&W is the right choice, too :clap:
Unattractive - it certainly is and looks horrible as well as unhygienic. Good choice to have a bag of rubbish in the foreground with another in the background.
Thanks Andrea!

Nice shot for Straight B, like the pp too....
Hi B, looks like Bethnal Green on a good day ! Sympathise if the pic is your 'hood as thats not looking nice at all.....
Cheers Mark!

That certainly is unattractive, I like the composition with the second bag further down the road
Thank you Chris!

Perfect for the theme Bernd, definitely not a pretty sight, we have the same problem down here but it’s the seagulls!
Thanks Susie!

straight - I thought that was the NT too. Fairly unmistakable. Mono suits brutalist and brutalist suits the theme.
Unattractive - Isn't it odd how so many of us had the same idea for this theme, and yet the images are all different. Certainly works for the theme and I like the way that you've captured the rubbish in the only lit part of the image.
Thank you Tim! I think everybody's first thought was unattractive person, but only very few were brave enough to actually carry through with that :)

Last edited:
Not much in the way of shadow there just about enough on superman to get through

My lad was there on Sunday, handing out water at Limehouse. He didn't see much in the way of shadow either (though he did see Mo).
The shadow (what little there is of it) is sharp and odd to see so much space around a single runner (must be near the end).
I find it interesting to look at the people in the crowd too.

"Unattractive" & "Shadow" shots both work for me Sir, the unattractive shot is bang on theme and unfortunately something that we see far too much of these days on our streets. The shadow shot also works very well but might have been a bit stronger if shot at a different time of day (probably not possible) to make the shadows a little longer.(y)

George.

Shadow shot is great. Just enough shadow to fit the theme - and I love the way the red and blue fence banners match the superman costume :)

Shadow

So not the biggest shadow, but it is definitely there. I like the overall composition as well.

Not much in the way of shadow there just about enough on superman to get through
Thanks Allan!

My lad was there on Sunday, handing out water at Limehouse. He didn't see much in the way of shadow either (though he did see Mo).
The shadow (what little there is of it) is sharp and odd to see so much space around a single runner (must be near the end).
I find it interesting to look at the people in the crowd too.
Thank you Tim! I was there around 4pm, long after Mo has gone home, at this point people were probably going for 5 hour times, which I still find quite impressive...

"Unattractive" & "Shadow" shots both work for me Sir, the unattractive shot is bang on theme and unfortunately something that we see far too much of these days on our streets. The shadow shot also works very well but might have been a bit stronger if shot at a different time of day (probably not possible) to make the shadows a little longer.(y)
Cheers George.

... quite engaging. Poor superman, all alone. :)
Thank you David!

Shadow shot is great. Just enough shadow to fit the theme - and I love the way the red and blue fence banners match the superman costume :)
Thanks Dave!

Shadow

So not the biggest shadow, but it is definitely there. I like the overall composition as well.
Thanks Dominic!

Nice marathon shot. I like the shadows on the banner, of their arms.
Thank you Ross!

Hint of a shoehorn? Some shadows but it is a nicely composed photo with superman on his own with the crowd behind.

straight - lots of straightness there, b/w does indeed suit it
unattractive - litter has featured a great deal in this theme your picture captures bin day very well
Shadow - there are shadows there maybe not as prominent as you might like but they are there, good shot of a lone runner

Straight - and level, nice shot perspectives well controlled, looks good in B&W, good tone spread.
Unattractive - unfortunatly it fits the theme very well, but sign of the times.
Shadow - not much of one, but it is a shadow. Superman is entering the picture and is in the corect place. Maybe a little bit bright assome of the on lookers look a bit washed out.

Pete

If only they could have staged the marathon at sunset or sunrise! :) The little shadows present under the runner and from the spectators' arms are very dark and well-defined, and although it's possibly a bit of a shoehorn it's an interesting and colourful image in its own right.

Unattractive - It certainly is I like the low pov

Shadow - Just enough of a shadow to work for me

Hi Bernd,

Straight - That is quite brutal, but quite attractive in its ugliness. Great pp yet again :D
Unattractive - What a mess, surely it would be better to have wheelie bins than all that rubbish in the street. Anyway I like the shot, good low pov and placement of the bags in the image
Shadow - Nice black shadow even though its a little small. Was certainly a very hot day for it this year.

:D

Hint of a shoehorn? Some shadows but it is a nicely composed photo with superman on his own with the crowd behind.
Thank you Chris! The brief was just "shadow" not "loads of shadow" :)

straight - lots of straightness there, b/w does indeed suit it
unattractive - litter has featured a great deal in this theme your picture captures bin day very well
Shadow - there are shadows there maybe not as prominent as you might like but they are there, good shot of a lone runner
Thank you Alison!

Straight - and level, nice shot perspectives well controlled, looks good in B&W, good tone spread.
Unattractive - unfortunatly it fits the theme very well, but sign of the times.
Shadow - not much of one, but it is a shadow. Superman is entering the picture and is in the corect place. Maybe a little bit bright assome of the on lookers look a bit washed out.
Thanks Pete!

If only they could have staged the marathon at sunset or sunrise! :) The little shadows present under the runner and from the spectators' arms are very dark and well-defined, and although it's possibly a bit of a shoehorn it's an interesting and colourful image in its own right.
Thank you Andrea!

Unattractive - It certainly is I like the low pov

Shadow - Just enough of a shadow to work for me
Cheers Mark!

Straight - That is quite brutal, but quite attractive in its ugliness. Great pp yet again :D
Unattractive - What a mess, surely it would be better to have wheelie bins than all that rubbish in the street. Anyway I like the shot, good low pov and placement of the bags in the image
Shadow - Nice black shadow even though its a little small. Was certainly a very hot day for it this year.
Thanks Georgina!

3 good pics who doesn’t like a gosling, great low down shot of the pigeons, really like that and you do own some jazzy socks good idea for the theme

3 good pics who doesn’t like a gosling, great low down shot of the pigeons, really like that and you do own some jazzy socks good idea for the theme
Thank you Allan!

Low is a sweet shot man. Out of interest how did you take it?

Nice one for match too. Something different.
Thanks Ross! I put my camera on the ground put some seeds (don't feed bread to any bird!) directly in front of the lens and then waited for the pigeons. I also have used a remote shutter release...

Thank you Allan!

Thanks Ross! I put my camera on the ground put some seeds (don't feed bread to any bird!) directly in front of the lens and then waited for the pigeons. I also have used a remote shutter release...
Yea.... Im gonna have to copy that technique at some point. Maybe when my fisheye arrives tomorrow.

AAAAARGH!!!! SOCKS!!!!!!!!

Ahem - yes - matching them is a pain! Nicely done :)

Back