weekly blakesters 2014 52 - Retired Gracefully

Sense: Oh man! both such amazing pictures. The cathedral composition is spot on and the effect makes it looks so gothic and sinister which I love. The inclusion of the red carpet (with symbols) along the bottom makes the shot for me. Feet is really nice too. To think you've used your hand to create these is amazing, shows your artistic ability and strong sense of achieving correct perspective.

Ending: Another cool shot. The surface youve placed the cutlery on is awesome. The reflections its created on the bottom of the spoon is excellent. Good thinking Iain.

Positive: Really clever stuff, and again super creative and inspiring. I like the colour version (re-edited) over the b&w. THe colour version I can see on the living room wall of a modern minimilist house, the b&w I cant. Maybe just me but the b&w just serves to flatten the picture and dampen its interest.

Really good work as always and a fine collection demonstrating much competence and consistancy (y)

Hi iain :wave:

Ending: the edit says "win" if you squint a bit (I like a bit of squinting I do :D)

and

Positive: Again with the edit? what is this? design by committee? have you lost your confidence? - Anyway, you got there in the end... another cracker mate, love it! (y)

I like. Alot. Flipping in pp would have been easier. :D

what about.... b&w pencils and colour tips? ;)

Thanks David (y)
Cheers for the suggestion but no ;):D

Well I certainly prefer the edit, the top bits sure do distract once somebody has pointed them out, great alignment still, and real glad you kept with individual sides rather than just flipping one half (y)

Cheers Dean (y)

Yup. Quick polish was all that as needed.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy (y)

Sense: Oh man! both such amazing pictures. The cathedral composition is spot on and the effect makes it looks so gothic and sinister which I love. The inclusion of the red carpet (with symbols) along the bottom makes the shot for me. Feet is really nice too. To think you've used your hand to create these is amazing, shows your artistic ability and strong sense of achieving correct perspective.

Ending: Another cool shot. The surface youve placed the cutlery on is awesome. The reflections its created on the bottom of the spoon is excellent. Good thinking Iain.

Positive: Really clever stuff, and again super creative and inspiring. I like the colour version (re-edited) over the b&w. THe colour version I can see on the living room wall of a modern minimilist house, the b&w I cant. Maybe just me but the b&w just serves to flatten the picture and dampen its interest.

Really good work as always and a fine collection demonstrating much competence and consistancy (y)

Wow:D
Thanks for such kind comments Jason, they are much appreciated (y)

Hi Iain....I have to echo Jason's thoughts above...that would make a great picture on the wall...stunning colours, and sooooo much patience went into it I'm sure. I'm very envious of your creativity.....a super shot .

Thanks Susie :D

Hi iain :wave:

Ending: the edit says "win" if you squint a bit (I like a bit of squinting I do :D)

and

Positive: Again with the edit? what is this? design by committee? have you lost your confidence? - Anyway, you got there in the end... another cracker mate, love it! (y)

Thanks for dropping by Brian (y)
Design by committee? Sometimes we just don't see whats in front of us :D:cow:

oh bu99er - note to self don't get behind!!!

cathedral is great - this isn;t a single shot is it?? stitched panorama? If so you're obviously working your poor computer hard... HDR panos are quite intensive!! great result though.

great allignment on the cutlery ends, to get them all into the narrow DOF you have there. like the detail of the base too. (actually prefer the original composition, knife fork and spoon)

love the pencils... do we see a new defaults subject, although as you have so many they can't all be a default now can they :thinking:

edit of the face to face I think is an improvement, although I do like the zip in the stripy jumper - nice touch with the sharpener too. (y)

oh bu99er - note to self don't get behind!!!

cathedral is great - this isn;t a single shot is it?? stitched panorama? If so you're obviously working your poor computer hard... HDR panos are quite intensive!! great result though.

great allignment on the cutlery ends, to get them all into the narrow DOF you have there. like the detail of the base too. (actually prefer the original composition, knife fork and spoon)

love the pencils... do we see a new defaults subject, although as you have so many they can't all be a default now can they :thinking:

edit of the face to face I think is an improvement, although I do like the zip in the stripy jumper - nice touch with the sharpener too. (y)

Thanks for your catch up Graham (y)
Cathedral was a 5 shot HDR vertorama, so the computer was put through its paces :D

No, not a new default subject.........I think, maybe, perhaps ;)

Cheers

Hi Iain

Positive - I have not had much inspirational thoughts for this theme and I would never ever have come up with a thought that leads me to yours - very creative. Has to be the colour version by miles - and the edit does make the understanding that they are faces a bit more immediate. Excellent work :clap:

Lovely colourful Positive and a good take on the theme.

Thanks Kev (y)
The colour version was always my intended result, just took me a couple of goes to get there ;)

Hi Iain

Positive - I have not had much inspirational thoughts for this theme and I would never ever have come up with a thought that leads me to yours - very creative. Has to be the colour version by miles - and the edit does make the understanding that they are faces a bit more immediate. Excellent work :clap:

Thanks Alan (y)
As mentioned to Kev above, it was always going to be the colour version for me too.
As you know some weeks inspiration doesn't strike, this week I feel I was lucky on my idea coming to fruition :D

Hi Iain your edit is great nice and colourful interesting take on the theme, I might have been tempted to post it in landscape format rather than portrait

Cheers tango (y)
The point about the crop, I couldn't go any wider as the ends of the pencils are just out of frame, so I opted for a square crop.

Hi Iain

sorry for being late....again !

I love watching your thread....your imagination & patience is flippin amazing ! The edit as mentioned works better ( thought I loved the original as well ) . Can't add crit as none to be given....just :notworthy::clap:

Hi Iain

sorry for being late....again !

I love watching your thread....your imagination & patience is flippin amazing ! The edit as mentioned works better ( thought I loved the original as well ) . Can't add crit as none to be given....just :notworthy::clap:

No worries Lynne :D

Thanks for looking in and commenting, much appreciated (y)
Not quite up there with Neil's @Mentalblock epic pencil shoot but I am pleased with the outcome of these.

Ending - #2 for me. I love the image and feel to this. The added symmetry makes it stand out from #1

Positive - The old 101 uses of coloured pencils trick LOL. The colour version definitely works better than the mono conversion. #2 is better as it has lost some (although not all) of the bluish tinge towards the top.

No worries Lynne :D

Thanks for looking in and commenting, much appreciated (y)
Not quite up there with Neil's @Mentalblock epic pencil shoot but I am pleased with the outcome of these.

Didn't now you could tag people now!
Glad you did though Iain, the pencil shot is great.

Didn't now you could tag people now!
Glad you did though Iain, the pencil shot is great.

Yes, new forum new tricks Neil:D
Thanks for looking in/commenting (y)

Ending - #2 for me. I love the image and feel to this. The added symmetry makes it stand out from #1

Positive - The old 101 uses of coloured pencils trick LOL. The colour version definitely works better than the mono conversion. #2 is better as it has lost some (although not all) of the bluish tinge towards the top.

Thanks Peter(y)
Yes, although it's not quite OCD compliant, I too feel it works better with symmetry.
I feel the colour version works better I agree. It is what I had envisaged, bringing out the colours of the pencils.

maybe a different lens as the dog on my 105 macro lens is scary shallow.
You need to get that dog off your lens, it'll not do it any good:LOL: :exit:
Loving the pencil shot. How long did that take to set up? My only gripe is the yellow pencil close to the top on the right where the tip bit is darker than the rest! It bothers my OCD!!! Only a little bit though, still a great shot.

You need to get that dog off your lens, it'll not do it any good:LOL: :exit:
Loving the pencil shot. How long did that take to set up? My only gripe is the yellow pencil close to the top on the right where the tip bit is darker than the rest! It bothers my OCD!!! Only a little bit though, still a great shot.

Damn autocorrect :D
Trust you to spot that though, you're trouble ;)

Otherwise thanks Marsha (y)
It took ages to set up if I am being honest, trying to get the symmetry was a PITA :D For that reason, I can live with the different shade on the pencil at the top.

Cheers marsha:)

Different take on the theme Iain, it fits for me(y) think I'd have guessed your interpretation without the explanation........and no.......I've never been in Strangeways
icon_nono.GIF
:D

Good pp skills (y), I'm guessing its one hand and bar mirrored, but can't tell which one :thinking: :D

Different take on the theme Iain, it fits for me(y) think I'd have guessed your interpretation without the explanation........and no.......I've never been in Strangeways
icon_nono.GIF
:D

Good pp skills (y), I'm guessing its one hand and bar mirrored, but can't tell which one :thinking: :D

Cheers Phil (y)
Yes, I mirrored my right hand, then a bit more pp to hopefully give it a gritty look to the scene.

Damn autocorrect :D
Trust you to spot that though, you're trouble ;)
This is why I'm so rubbish at commenting as I spend so long reading through everyone's posts!

Time, like it. Your thumbs look a little odd to me, not sure if it's due to the processing and DOF combined?
Adding knuckle tats in pp would be way beyond my skill set :D
Nah, just use the text tool, free transform to rotate, resize and fit, tweak the colours a bit and your done! Obviously that all sounds so easy in my head!

Now what's this about you getting a new camera?

This is why I'm so rubbish at commenting as I spend so long reading through everyone's posts!

Time, like it. Your thumbs look a little odd to me, not sure if it's due to the processing and DOF combined?

Nah, just use the text tool, free transform to rotate, resize and fit, tweak the colours a bit and your done! Obviously that all sounds so easy in my head!

Now what's this about you getting a new camera?

Thanks Marsha (y)
I would hazard a guess that the thumbs look odd due to the shallow dog dof;)
I may give that a go in pp, cheers :D

Yes, I recently purchased a Nikon D4, lovely bit of kit!

Oh an excellent out of the box idea. I like the darkness and gritness of the whole thing - no crit from me (y)

I like the idea here and the processing. Its got a gritty feel without resorting to adding lots of noise. If I was to provide some crit it would be that it is too symmetrical - I think I'd have preferred a different left hand to the right giving it a more realistic feeling

Oooo nice one Iain... Liking the gritty look and cant fault the composition at all, the tats would have been perfect :)

Been staring at it really hard trying to see a face glaring through the middle, for a moment I thought I could faintly see one as I got closer... but it was my reflection o_O

Hi Iain, no crowbar needed excellent idea looks a little like a B-movie poster, I mean that in a good way (y)
the processing suits the image, would maybe liked to have seen a very faint face but then again I would probably have had nightmares :nailbiting:

Oh yes, I like this a lot. I have no crit, it's just a good picture worth looking at.

Hi, Iain! good use of props :)

Nice, minimal, gritty, well composed and bang on theme......for a change ;)

Thumbs look a little....detached :thinking:

Saw someone mention Love and Hate...that'd be good.

Cheers.

Back