weekly Boots' 52 for 2021

That's a very different take on the theme. Well spotted. I find the feet on the footpath are distracting from the subject so, as suggested by others, would be tempted to crop out.

Good start to your 52 Paul, both images well seen and captured.
I would be tempted to crop the fruit image, possibly a letterbox crop as I feel the part of the boat and the feet in the corner don't really add to the scene.
The reflection of the tree and the apple in the water really hold my interest. Good work.

That's a very different take on the theme. Well spotted. I find the feet on the footpath are distracting from the subject so, as suggested by others, would be tempted to crop out.
Well spotted and an imaginative title too. The barge adds context, however, agree with what Allan said about the path and the feet.
Good start to your 52 Paul, both images well seen and captured.
I would be tempted to crop the fruit image, possibly a letterbox crop as I feel the part of the boat and the feet in the corner don't really add to the scene.
The reflection of the tree and the apple in the water really hold my interest. Good work.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment - it's appreciated.

Week 2 - Dirty & Technique - Filling the Frame

Dirty, filthy more like... Filthy Lucre

Filthy Lucre.JPG

Last edited:
It has the feel of the penny drop games at an arcade though I'm guess it's not.
Quite liking the choice of warm lighting too. I think colder light would look too stark (y)

I've noticed you submitting this for the technique. Could you do me a favour for future techniques and annotate the main thread too, as I won't necessarily spot it in personal threads. ta.

Nice shot.. reminds me of Pink Floyd's "Money"...

"Money
So they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a raise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away"

I like the stripe of in focus coins too. I guess the image was then rotated (?)

Nice one for the theme, but I can't imagine anyone bothering to launder small change. ;)

Nice warm colour, good use of DoF and the stripe of light works very well to draw your eye. Good job on the tech too. And i'd agree that money certainly is filthy!

Could you do me a favour for future techniques and annotate the main thread too, as I won't necessarily spot it in personal threads. ta.

Tim, apologies. I too spotted that I had missed this and went back to fix it, but you were so quick you caught me out!

Nice shot.. reminds me of Pink Floyd's "Money"...
It reminds me of an arcade game too. I also like the colours and the stripe of in focus coins - gives a good sense of depth.
I like the stripe of in focus coins too. I guess the image was then rotated (?)
Nice warm colour, good use of DoF and the stripe of light works very well to draw your eye. Good job on the tech too. And i'd agree that money certainly is filthy!

Thanks all for taking the time to post a comment.

No, David, the image wasn't rotated (in fact there was virtually no post-processing), it's a tilt-shift lens.

Thanks all for taking the time to post a comment.

No, David, the image wasn't rotated (in fact there was virtually no post-processing), it's a tilt-shift lens.
wow ... nice one! I've never used a tilt-shift lens.

I've never used a tilt-shift lens.

David, it really is quite a lot of fun - but you do have to like some technical challenges to get it to work under some circumstances (avoiding vignetting and approximating the right tilt angle). But for shots like these, or shifting to deliver panorama stiches; very easy. It's not remotely weatherproof, so I only take it out on dry days. You do see them come up on eBay at reasonable prices.

Nice interpretation, well taken, a great start Paul (y)

Nicely done, and nice use of the fancy lens!

I have a field camera for large format, but am still getting used to the movements...

The lighting and dof works really well. As everyone says.. the warm colour suits it.

Dirty
Busy but it works, I like the highlighted strip of lighter coins on the right hand side, it draws the eye across the image.

Nice idea and good use of a tilt shift lens
Nicely done, and nice use of the fancy lens!
Nice use of that lens Paul and the warm lighting suits the pic.
The lighting and dof works really well. As everyone says.. the warm colour suits it.
Busy but it works, I like the highlighted strip of lighter coins on the right hand side, it draws the eye across the image.

Thanks all for taking the time to comment.

I like it. Nice warm image, and if your change jar is anything like ours, I always have to wash my hands after counting it out into bags...

I like the DOF on your picture it also reminds me of a certain Abba song. I wouldn't "change" a thing with it...ill get my coat!

Somebody is cashing in the loose change !! Bet there is an old Roses or Quality Street tin just out of shot! Nicely done, can almost smell that metallic money smell.

As above, very clever (y)

Back