weekly Carl's 2015 Photo52 Challenge

Hi Carl ...it is a bit lacking in oomph ....sorry :( I would have been tempted to give it a quick boost of colour to make it a bit more eye catching. But it fits the theme and it's not always easy to find just the right subject.

Thanks Susie. Disappeared a while back and although I've searched everywhere, can't seem to find my mojo. It'll come back in it's own good time I'm sure.

.. on theme .. those shades hold cryptic Geometric interest connoisseurs cherish. Maybe you could break one of those panels to show ... erm ... the unexpected. :thinking:

.. on theme .. those shades hold cryptic Geometric interest connoisseurs cherish. Maybe you could break one of those panels to show ... erm ... the unexpected. :thinking:
Hmmm! now that's an idea David ... geometrics within maybe. I'll have a think, see what if anything I can conjure up. Thank you.

Hi Carl, Would it be worth trying a different crop, the triangles feel a bit cut off to me. Maybe adding a vignette to push the focal point to the centre?
Dunno...
Tim
Hi Tim. Wondered whether it would improve the image by cropping at an angle ... but I think it'll need more than that to save the day.

Hi, nice textures, but the uneven light is an issue. As my teachers used to say, quite often, "You can do much better" ;)
Hi Andy. My teachers used to tell me that too ha ha. Yes, I liked the textures in the panels too. I am in detention as we speak and started writing:( lines - be here a while.

It fits the theme and it's sharp and well exposed. You might think it's dull but wait till you see my image this week! :LOL:

Geometric; I actually quit like the shot, simple and spot on theme. Well lit and with good texture.
Thank you Stan. I do quite like the image too for the subtle textures in the panels and the light variations but it doesn't not have that visual impact I suupose.

It fits the theme and it's sharp and well exposed. You might think it's dull but wait till you see my image this week! :LOL:
Thanks Brian. Bottom of the class this week ... aaaah brings back so many fond memories ha ha.

[QUOTE="d00d, post: 7013405, member: 58936 Maybe you could break one of those panels to show ... erm ... the unexpected. :thinking:[/QUOTE]
Just a bit rushed but thought I'd give your idea a try. Could do with an image with greater impact but at least this building shot goes with t he theme.

289hjd4.jpg

Week 35 - Fashion

Thought long and hard and wavered between the obvious and abstract and at last settled on this one taken whilst holidaying in Devon this week. To me Fashion means window dressing only - the substance doesn't change, it's merely the means of making something more attractive or eye-catching or whatever. So here we have a corner shop now showing signs of a downturn in trade due to the more FASHIONable practice of shopping in superstores. The produce looks as healthy (or perhaps even better than in some of the major stores).

Shop Soiled by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

I see the shoe horn is working overtime this week with a few posts :D

actually I like that, Carl, lots of colours and textures (y)

actually I like that, Carl, lots of colours and textures (y)
Thank you. Wonder what would happen if the theme was "Shoehorn" - my mental state will suffer (further) with the possibilities !!

Welcome back Carl.

This does not say fashion, anti-fashion or otherwise to me, but who cares ... it's a nice image that says lots of other things. :LOL:

Wonder what would happen if the theme was "Shoehorn"
LOL the possibility are endless
From a shoehorn to a totally irrelevant post / image (y)

Welcome back Carl.

This does not say fashion, anti-fashion or otherwise to me, but who cares ... it's a nice image that says lots of other things. :LOL:
Thanks David - a glorious week in Devon. Any link between me and fashion is equally non-existent I'm afraid ha ha.

lol, sorry Carl :(
Looks very depressed, shame that these little shops are on the way out but I guess that's progress for you.

Hi Carl
Geometric - don't beat yourself up about it, looks fine to me, it fits the theme and we can't be fabulous every week :D

As for mojo, mine disappears, reappears, wavers a bit depending on the them and whatever else is going on in my life. As Andy keeps reminding us it is supposed to be FUN otherwise we'd be doing a photography course or some such nonsense. Shoehorns therefore are a very useful tool. Trust me I know, I've got loads of pairs of shoes :LOL::ROFLMAO:

And sometimes my ideas are just :runaway::runaway:like the one I've got for Chilled :coat:

Hi, Carl, like your thought process, and would agree with them. I'd prefer more face on perspective but nice details, textures and muted colours.

Cheers.

lol, sorry Carl :(
Looks very depressed, shame that these little shops are on the way out but I guess that's progress for you.
Thanks Ian. I know it is a shame but these places do look dingy in comparison to the more clinical major stores.

Hi Carl ....the theme wouldn't leap out but I enjoyed reading your explanation. It is an interesting image, the bare lightbulb, the flaking paint, the sparse amount of produce, all reflecting the demise of the corner shop. I like it :)
Thank you Susie. All the things I liked about it. It's represents almost the diametric opposite to the clinical superstores that most of us now tend to favour.

Hi Carl
Geometric - don't beat yourself up about it, looks fine to me, it fits the theme and we can't be fabulous every week :D

As for mojo, mine disappears, reappears, wavers a bit depending on the them and whatever else is going on in my life. As Andy keeps reminding us it is supposed to be FUN otherwise we'd be doing a photography course or some such nonsense. Shoehorns therefore are a very useful tool. Trust me I know, I've got loads of pairs of shoes :LOL::ROFLMAO:

And sometimes my ideas are just :runaway::runaway:like the one I've got for Chilled :coat:
Ha ha thanks Jill. We should have a side bet for the title of shoehorn king or queen 2015.

Hi, Carl, like your thought process, and would agree with them. I'd prefer more face on perspective but nice details, textures and muted colours.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. The shop was down such a narrow lane that I couldn't quite manage the full front on of the double bay shop-front. Must try and get myself a wide-angle lens methinks.

Gotta love a pirate !! Nice bright red, is it a t-shirt. ( not having much luck at guess what it is!! lol)

Gotta love a pirate !! Nice bright red, is it a t-shirt. ( not having much luck at guess what it is!! lol)
Hi Ian. Yes, spot on - a t-shirt fluttering in the breeze outside a shop in Bude.

Chilling indeed. :rolleyes: ... good variation on a theme.

Would liked to have seen the whole T shirt with shop BG.

Chilling indeed. :rolleyes: ... good variation on a theme.

Would liked to have seen the whole T shirt with shop BG.
Thank you David. It was quite crowded so had to be contented with a close-up. I quite like the boldness of it anyway.

Yup,that's chilling enough for me :)

Nice colour separation for a fluttering tshirt (y)
Thanks Jill. This was the least warped of the set I took - came out well apart from the jaw line.

Week 36 - Chilling #2. This may be a bit more spine chilling for some (I think the V sign was for disturbing his slumber)

Chilling by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: LC2
Oh I like that Carl. :clap: Lovely detail, lighting and choice of background. Definitely this one for me.

Oh I like that Carl. :clap: Lovely detail, lighting and choice of background. Definitely this one for me.
Thanks Ian
Loads of detail there Carl. But I'm the spider rescuer in our house so not too chilling for me ;)
Good for you Jill. A lady neighbour refers to me as spiderman as a result of two "emergency" responses I made to get rid of spiders (captured and released unharmed in the garden).
Really like the chilling photo. Like a hammock! I like the see through legs!
Thanks Matthew - a little different to the ones we normally get around here.

Hi Carl ...a super sharp shot for the first one, love the deep black and the bright eye catching red, I would perhaps like to see the ends of the scarf, but a great choice for the theme, well done for spotting that one.

Total contrast in your almost transparent spider ...I like the processing it looks like an illustration in a book.

Hi Carl, have a couple to catch up on "Fashion" that has to be the most unappealing fruit and veg shop I have ever seen, would love to have just seen the whole window, the crop sort of lets it down a little.

"chilled" definitely chilling and such a weird angle to add to the overall effect

Back