weekly Carl's 2015 Photo52 Challenge

Support. Really good! I think the colour of your hand lets it down a little if you see what I mean, as everything else is so saturated. A bit of local processing could sort it out perhaps? Apart from that minor detail a top draw submission, I'd like to put a clap thingy here but I'm on the app, you get the idea though eh?

Hi Carl
Zipping back to Animal....

Animal .... Looks a bit of a Bagpuss character! Nice clean shot with fairly even lighting, my OCD says you've clipped a tiny bit off the LH part of the orange mount. Love the mouse at the back (y)

Medicine .... Beautiful Daughter Carl but I don't think this shot does her justice for me it just doesn't work so well but you have a great location. Although I'm not a portrait photographer I was ask to do a whole batch of them, so I had a mega steep learning curve. I think what I learn would have worked great in your shot here. It was fairly simple when you got to the nuts and bolts of it. So using your shot as an example... Turn your daughter around, so your now shooting into the sun:eek:. If you have got something like a 50 or 70 mm prime use that with a nice open aperture (f4 or smaller) or a lens set to about the same. Lowest ISO. Spot metering. Now I had the ladies posing in a field with fairly tall grass and others in field of oxeye Daisy's. So to complete the setup you need a reflector (there cheep to buy or use some white card) it's much easier with an assistant ( I tried using an old tripod and taping the reflector to it and it was a nightmare). So maybe pick low-ish sun but not too low. Sort out your composition (head and shoulders use the thirds rule) Then with your spot focus on the leading eye of your model (ditch the glasses:rolleyes:) and your assistant using the reflector to bounce the sunlight onto your models face you'll get a really nice shot with lots of lovely highlights running around her head and her hair will glow from the back lighting. Get her to ruffle her hair a little and the sunlight will pick up on the strands and the sharp DOF will blend it in with the flowers and grasses or whatever behind. (BTW this all took me about 3weeks to research and get right so try it sometime). Ooopppsss didn't mean this to turn into a big monologue :eek:.
Anyhow I do think your shot is nice, the bit that really throws me is the OOF lavender in front of your model

Proverb .... Ah money is the route of (a new camera?) seem to have a lot of empty space, think I'd just tighten the crop, on theme nicely!
Proverb2 .... This is the one for me nice crisp detail, sharp. Nice colour and tells the story all comes Nicely together here!(y)

Pale .... Like this works well, I see your using an infinity curve. Works well. I guess if you added a splash of colour then it might not be as pale so you wouldn't have a pale, pail ;) Think you have a slight bright spot to the right on the curve, but the lighting is pretty good.

Tear... I'm going with No2 as well bit less busy. Regarding this 'cloning' are you cloning out the joint between the vertical and the horizontal joint? I'm guessing that what it might be? I would get hold of a large sheet of card Carl and use it for your infinity curves saves a lot of grief and PS work when your doing this sort of shot. Like No2 nice lighting vignettes nice too works well for me!

Words.... Nice shot like the central composition. Works here, needed a faster shutter to freeze those flowers though. Like the overall image statement with a bit of a story too!

Support .... Cracking(y) Like your style! Nice lighting really works for me, well done for something different:D

Support. Really good! I think the colour of your hand lets it down a little if you see what I mean, as everything else is so saturated. A bit of local processing could sort it out perhaps? Apart from that minor detail a top draw submission, I'd like to put a clap thingy here but I'm on the app, you get the idea though eh?
Hi Brian. Absolutely right about the hand - hadn't spotted that. Thanks for letting me know.

Hi Carl
Medicine .... Beautiful Daughter Carl but I don't think this shot does her justice for me it just doesn't work so well but you have a great location. Although I'm not a portrait photographer I was ask to do a whole batch of them, so I had a mega steep learning curve. I think what I learn would have worked great in your shot here. It was fairly simple when you got to the nuts and bolts of it. So using your shot as an example... Turn your daughter around, so your now shooting into the sun:eek:. If you have got something like a 50 or 70 mm prime use that with a nice open aperture (f4 or smaller) or a lens set to about the same. Lowest ISO. Spot metering. Now I had the ladies posing in a field with fairly tall grass and others in field of oxeye Daisy's. So to complete the setup you need a reflector (there cheep to buy or use some white card) it's much easier with an assistant ( I tried using an old tripod and taping the reflector to it and it was a nightmare). So maybe pick low-ish sun but not too low. Sort out your composition (head and shoulders use the thirds rule) Then with your spot focus on the leading eye of your model (ditch the glasses:rolleyes:) and your assistant using the reflector to bounce the sunlight onto your models face you'll get a really nice shot with lots of lovely highlights running around her head and her hair will glow from the back lighting. Get her to ruffle her hair a little and the sunlight will pick up on the strands and the sharp DOF will blend it in with the flowers and grasses or whatever behind. (BTW this all took me about 3weeks to research and get right so try it sometime). Ooopppsss didn't mean this to turn into a big monologue :eek:.
Anyhow I do think your shot is nice, the bit that really throws me is the OOF lavender in front of your model

Proverb .... Ah money is the route of (a new camera?) seem to have a lot of empty space, think I'd just tighten the crop, on theme nicely!
Proverb2 .... This is the one for me nice crisp detail, sharp. Nice colour and tells the story all comes Nicely together here!(y)

Pale .... Like this works well, I see your using an infinity curve. Works well. I guess if you added a splash of colour then it might not be as pale so you wouldn't have a pale, pail ;) Think you have a slight bright spot to the right on the curve, but the lighting is pretty good.

Tear... I'm going with No2 as well bit less busy. Regarding this 'cloning' are you cloning out the joint between the vertical and the horizontal joint? I'm guessing that what it might be? I would get hold of a large sheet of card Carl and use it for your infinity curves saves a lot of grief and PS work when your doing this sort of shot. Like No2 nice lighting vignettes nice too works well for me!

Words.... Nice shot like the central composition. Works here, needed a faster shutter to freeze those flowers though. Like the overall image statement with a bit of a story too!

Support .... Cracking(y) Like your style! Nice lighting really works for me, well done for something different:D

Hi Steve. My goodness - so many useful tips here. Thank you so much for spending the time to guide me. I see exactly what you mean about infinity curves and about working with direct sunlight. Funny really - I suppose it's down to being ingrained with having the either 90 degrees to or directly behind the camera; using it as back lighting has never occurred to me and may never come naturally but I do see from your description exactly how it can and should be used. I've got one of those gold/white dual reflectors but just too lazy to take it out and about with the rest of my paraphernalia (I hang my head in shame). As my old school reports read - must try harder ha ha. Thanks again (have kept a copy aside of your Medicine advice).

Hi Carl well I wouldn't have known either, but I was asked 'see this picture, we want it done that way' :eek:.
So after a fair bit of reading and dragging the other half out to do trial shoots. That's one of the things I like about photography there's always something new to learn. If it's not camera technique it's software techniques.
Did you go to the same school as me? I think I might have beat you though, mine always said ' class clown, could do better' I never knew if that meant I could be a better clown!!

Week 33 - Religion

Struggled a bit with this one - more because of the mass of ideas, many/most totally impractical.

149m9n7.jpg

Wooo ... like that ... distressed-looking old props, B&W with good light & shadow ... wall murkiness! :)

Wooo ... like that ... distressed-looking old props, B&W with good light & shadow ... wall murkiness! :)
Thanks David. Distressed looking old photographer taking the pic so all in keeping really ha ha.

Hi Carl, I like the B&W treatment :) Looks like the cross has seen a bit of use, which adds to the over all image.

Hi Carl, nice props not 100% sure on the composition but can't put my finger on why,
I like the shadow from the cross on the back and would like to have seen it a little bit stronger more distinct if you see what I mean

Hi Carl, nice props not 100% sure on the composition but can't put my finger on why,
I like the shadow from the cross on the back and would like to have seen it a little bit stronger more distinct if you see what I mean
Thanks Allan. I know exactly what you mean about having a stronger shadow of the cross - try as I did, just couldn't manage it with my trusty led torch. Must get something a tad stronger methinks.

Hi Carl, I like the B&W treatment :) Looks like the cross has seen a bit of use, which adds to the over all image.
Hi Ian. Yes, both props have seen better days which works well for b&w particularly. Thank you for your kind words.

I prefer #1 Carl. However remove the picture and I think you have an excellent new image :banana:

I prefer #1 Carl. However remove the picture and I think you have an excellent new image :banana:
Thanks Ian. I can see how that may be so will exclude and see what it looks like. (I think the shadow should cross onto the pic rather than disappear behind anyway .... ooops)

Wow yes the fallen crucifix with shadow .. dramatic stuff.

Brilliant, strangely eerie I like it. I did also like the composition of the first with Jesus looking down at himself on the crucifix, great idea!

Brilliant, strangely eerie I like it. I did also like the composition of the first with Jesus looking down at himself on the crucifix, great idea!
That's kind of you, thank you Laura. The original idea was to focus on the downward glance on the event that was to symbolise the religion.

Hi Carl ...lots to choose from here, I was impressed with the first one ...it has a lovely dark aged look to it. but then came two and three, I think now I prefer number two with the shadow but I like the fact the picture is still there, it adds that extra bit of interest and mystery to the shot. Great processing, that greyish effect not too sharp b&w is spot on.

Hi Carl, I think I prefer the muted shadow against the picture, but in the shot with the solo cross the shadow looks fine.
The first thing it puts me in mind of is one of those B&W movies with the shrine on the sideboard in the front room!
I think the lightings great, very well set up (y)

I like your first submission butyour final edit with just the cross and the shadow is so much more powerful :clap::clap::clap:

Great shot!

Hi Carl ...lots to choose from here, I was impressed with the first one ...it has a lovely dark aged look to it. but then came two and three, I think now I prefer number two with the shadow but I like the fact the picture is still there, it adds that extra bit of interest and mystery to the shot. Great processing, that greyish effect not too sharp b&w is spot on.
That's kind of you - thanks Susie.

Hi Carl, I think I prefer the muted shadow against the picture, but in the shot with the solo cross the shadow looks fine.
The first thing it puts me in mind of is one of those B&W movies with the shrine on the sideboard in the front room!
I think the lightings great, very well set up (y)
Hi Steve. I thought the shadow looked a bit varied in places. Yes, I remember those days - it was a very popular feature in bygone days.

:agree: with Steve on image #2. The cross shadow on the picture works well and very theme fitting too.
Thanks Stan. Thought long and hard before I settled on that composition.

I like your first submission butyour final edit with just the cross and the shadow is so much more powerful :clap::clap::clap:

Great shot!
Thanks Jill. I like b&w for the drama it adds.

Hi Carl :)

Im liking the cross and shadow, but the photo messes with my brain as it is not on the same plain and the shadow is hidden by it too, sorry, but for me the shadow and cross on their own would be a much punchier shot :)
You are right enough DK - I adjusted the angle of the picture and extended the shadow across it for the final version posted in Flickr.

Wow Carl, I really like your simple version of tear and religion, but I also like the psychedelic version of the tea pot. The sup port really made me laugh and it's good to play with the themes - would you like to borrow my shoehorn?

Ahhhh I didn't see the edits - Doh :D
You were absolutely right though DK.
Wow Carl, I really like your simple version of tear and religion, but I also like the psychedelic version of the tea pot. The sup port really made me laugh and it's good to play with the themes - would you like to borrow my shoehorn?
Thanks Ruth ... struggled with this weeks and could have done with a shoehorn but even that let me down :(

Hi Carl, not the most exciting, sorry :sorry: not much I can add really I see where you are coming from but not really getting it

Hi Carl, not the most exciting, sorry :sorry: not much I can add really I see where you are coming from but not really getting it
Yeah, I know what you mean Allan. I wasn't overly enthused about this one either but quite liked the different planes creating different shades and the texture of the panels. Ho hum.

Hi Carl,
It ain't that bad! Some nice colours and textures and it fits the theme. The lighting looks like its straight behind camera, what about moving it to the far right and feather it to give you some interesting shadows.

As said the colours and textures are good but I agree not the most exciting - but then we all have weeks like that!

Hi Carl,
It ain't that bad! Some nice colours and textures and it fits the theme. The lighting looks like its straight behind camera, what about moving it to the far right and feather it to give you some interesting shadows.
Thanks Ian. The light is actually within the lamp itself - nothing external ... except ambient. Perhaps you have a point on a side-on and shadows hmmm. A re-post or maybe even something completely different. Hmmm!

As said the colours and textures are good but I agree not the most exciting - but then we all have weeks like that!
Thanks Ruth. This was definitely one of those weeks - really struggled for motivation and ideas.

Back