weekly ChrisHeathcote TP52 Challenge - Back with "Animal" and "Special"

Hi, excellent caterpillar shot for vertical, very sharp and the close up of the butterfly is spot on for mouth (y)
Thanks Allan :)

Some great images you have there, Bold certainly is that, very nicely captured, your 1st Mouth shot is the pick of the bunch for me, lovely and sharp where it needs to be and the shallow DoF really works well.

Nice work.
Mouth - a crystal clear sharp image, very fitting for the theme great work (y)
Good stuff Chris

Mouth shot's amazing ... but my fave is the Vertical caterpillar. (y)
Mouth, cracking detail and colours.

Cheers.
Hi Chris,

Bold -
Nice catch up - certainly fits the them.

Vertical - # 1 for me too, nicely focussed

Mouth - I'm with Ruth on the flying insects - they give me the shivers, so I had to scroll past them pretty quick, but they are very very good shots, number 2 for me
Watery - Nice colours and good execution for this type of shot. I keep thinking some of the patterns look like sperm or tadpoles swimming about :rolleyes:

Bold - Good colours again and good to see you haven’t over saturated the shot. nice use of a shallow DoF

Vertical - A very good natural history shot with super focus. You can see all the little hairs on the creature

Mouth - #1 is great. Getting so close gives DoF problems but you’ve certainly overcome this. Nice one.

Thanks all, glad you like them, sorry if any of the images creeped people out :)

Hi Chris ....sorry I haven't been here for ages ....I'm making a concentrated effort to get around the threads more this week.

I love your water into wine shot ...it's fabulous....great choice of colour, a real smasher :clap:

Relax ...just one glance at that one and straight away I get the theme, I really like the tight composition.

Bold is probably my least favourite ...the focal point just isn't interesting enough to me ....sorry :(

Vertical ....definitely the caterpillar, he's a smashing colour, a lovely clear shot, it's great at the Butterfly Farm isn't it ....all my lot were ready to head off home when we went there last year and I had to keep pleading for 'five more minutes', I wish there was one near to where I live I'd be there every week !

Mouth ...you really nailed the focus there, especially with such a close up shot and considering they move so quickly. Very well done with that one :clap:

Don't worry about it, I can't say I've been the best at commenting :)

In fairness Bold was more of , "oooh that will do kind of shot" I,ve got something else in mind for retake week in a few weeks time.

Some great stuff in your thread, and the idea of posting a number of offerings is appealing. The first ELEGANT is a winner for me, but the caterpillar on VERTICAL is my favourite.

Thanks Bob :)

Hi Chris :)

Quick catch up from me again :)

Watery - Wow... love the colours in this first shot and the way they blend together... but also the lovely red colour and detail in the second shot, clever idea and very effective, both shots are well lit and I like both the compositions, so I am going to pass on the winner, like them both a lot, good work for the theme :clap:

Relax - A nicely set up image, although I find it a bit tight on the right hand side, I am liking the background and the detail of the bottle... nice one :)

Bold - Another punchy bright image, I'd like to see thew DoF just a tad deeper although there is enough as it is to work still if you know what I mean... Like It :)

Vertical - An unusual choice for the theme, I prefer the caterpillar shot by far, lovely fury detail and great background :)

Mouth - Fantastic images for the theme, shame they was taken the previous week, but still cracking detail and a perfect DoF to get, really well caught :clap:

Welcome back Dean, you seem to have had a good holiday. Thanks for the feedback, its always welcome :)

Mouth - Fantastic images for the theme, shame they was taken the previous week, but still cracking detail and a perfect DoF to get, really well caught :clap:

At the risk of sounding defensive, all three theme were taken last Saturday after Mouth was announced on the Friday, I'll let you off though as you were in a different time zone ;) :p :D

Hi Chris, I'm no expert but hopefully you don't mind some feedback,

I really like your bliss no 2 version and think it was worth re-shooting

Fragile, i was trying to work out exactly what it was, which took it away from me a little bit, but still something different.

Scenic no 1, really nice image, great composition, great reflections and really nice colours.

Companions, another good one, peeking from the bush? lol,

Elegant - No 1 for me, thats a great photo, wish I could do something like that. Not too much of a fan of the others strangely enough but the first one hits it for me, but does seem a tiny bit fussy around the edges?

Watery - no 1 doesn't do it for me sorry, but I like no 2, really sharp and well taken photo, but perhaps a tiny bit of dust on the glass, or fingerprints?

Relax - Great idea for the theme, and well lit. I almost considered doing something v.similar for my version, but had no candles to hand at the time lol

Bold - For me, it's no 2. No 1 is well shot and different, but not my cup of tea, no 2 is a great image, I really want to get into things like this, and its a really sharp well taken photo. No 3, another good one but not as good as the #2.

Mouth - Wicked photo, as said above I want to get more into things like this. The photo is sending me slightly cross eyed lol but its really well taken, and a great bit of detail on it.

Hi Chris

Vertical....1st shot of the caterpillar critter for me....lovely focus , DOF & detail (y) Looks better viewed on flickr's black bg

Mouth #1 as well.....simply as it's a closer view & I'm a sucker for macro type shots, #2 actually shows the detail much better though when viewed larger on flickr (y)

Ok so firstly apologies for being a bit slack, but what with a million and 1 things going on I've been lacking time and mojo. Anyway I'm trying to get it back and during my normal working life an opportunity arose.

In short I am working on some point of sale for one of my clients and needed some photographs. They said they would provide the, however having seen examples of their photographers work I thought what the hell and had a go myself. The following were what resulted. In a bid to not get too far behind I thought I'd stick a couple in as placeholders.

Firstly
Crowd

Saxton POS March 27, 2015 1474_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Close-up

Saxton POS March 27, 2015 1492_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Nice concept, like that you tied the two images together. Works really well.

Gaz

like the second one :), but the first is too organised for a crowd..... but they are german soo.... :D

Hi Chris

Crowd......hmmmm....like the idea but seems to be lacking a little punch...I know that partly down to the typical German colors ( why can't the Germans do some fun colors !)

Close up....kinda like this, nice low POV with enough DOF for the environ to give context , but really wish you'd focused /got closer to the AMG on the rim :(

:agree:

:agree:

OMG I've been rendered incapable of offering any input.

Thanks for the comments. I agree too the cars are rather dull in colour, shame they didn't have the bright pink Range Rover in the middle to break it up. :)

I hadn't noticed the AMG logo if I'm honest. These were taken for a client who wanted pictures for point of sale material. The spec was to highlight the damage on the rim, so I was focused on that rather than the logo.

OMG I've been rendered incapable of offering any input.

happens to the best of us :)

Hi Chris

Crowd...I really like the fact that the colours are rather monochromatic tbh; it means the few splashed of colour in the image really stand out.
Definitely works for me :)
Close-up....That wheel is almost leaving the frame" Very 3D-esque!

Hi Chris

those Orchids are incredibly difficult to shot I find, so many differing angles on the petals, an almost glitter effect on them s well but such beautiful hearts with a lovely splash of yellow to contrast nicely against the pink .......not really done any focus stacking so can't really comment on that other than to say you've done a good job as can't tell that's what you did (y)

Well done on the focus stacking Chris. I've never tried it but have often wondered about it ... if the result is as good as a wide DOF.

That's a smashing image Chris. I took loads of shots of orchids with the Close Up theme in mind while I was in Hong Kong, but none of them are anywhere near as good as that :clap:

I really like the crowd Chris, nice use of DoF, just a shame about the make :p

Close up, I prefer the Orchid(?) to the wheel TBH. much more more detail, and far more interesting IMO (y)

That's a smashing image Chris. I took loads of shots of orchids with the Close Up theme in mind while I was in Hong Kong, but none of them are anywhere near as good as that :clap:
Hi Chris

those Orchids are incredibly difficult to shot I find, so many differing angles on the petals, an almost glitter effect on them s well but such beautiful hearts with a lovely splash of yellow to contrast nicely against the pink .......not really done any focus stacking so can't really comment on that other than to say you've done a good job as can't tell that's what you did (y)
Well done on the focus stacking Chris. I've never tried it but have often wondered about it ... if the result is as good as a wide DOF.

Thanks all for the kind comments. As to using a wide DOF David ( @d00d ), I'm still to have another go but without the focus stacking.

I really like the crowd Chris, nice use of DoF, just a shame about the make :p

Close up, I prefer the Orchid(?) to the wheel TBH. much more more detail, and far more interesting IMO (y)
Thaks for stopping in Chris, you're right about the make, upstairs was a row of Overfinch Range Rovers, but the surroundings didn't appeal as much. As to the wheel, If I'm honest it was a bit of a placeholder, so I didn't get too far behind :whistle:

OK so time for a bit of a catchup. Following @Cobra 's lead, I thought I'd try and use 1 opportunity to cover many themes, so here goes.
LOL Nice set Chris, I want that rocket bike :D

Lovely detail in close up and I like the composition.

Implied sound, nice idea. Of the set it's #3 for me. Those guys/gals are fearless!

Cheers.

Hi Chris - now that's a great way to catch up. I love your third shot - I have no idea what the sound would be like, but that must take real nerve to do and you've caught it really well :)

Hi, not a fan of motorsports to be honest, I suppose they all work for there themes,
out of the three I find the second one to work best though you could do with cropping the wall/grass from the top

good idea using the same event to catch up

Love the reshoot Chris...the Orchid :)

Sound....that last one, they are a special breed of nutters them :LOL:
Nice panning shot and yes....sound is definitely inferred! :)

some good bike shots there, cleverly done ... if we're choosing, I choose #2.

I love bikes, I love the boldness of the riders, I love them as machines and I love the sound they make. I have one, I love it but one day it may kill me, but then I love beer and wine so something's going to get me.

There you go, you've got three themes in one, I've got three comments in one. :)

Hi Chris,
number 1, I like it but I wonder how would have been if you were lower down and looking straight at the bikes rather than looking down on them, more I look at it, the more I like it.

number 2, my pic of the 3, great timing on this one.

number 3, nice motion in the bg, panning has been done well.
Thanks For the feedback Michael, unfortunately being on mere spectator and not having the luxury of a media bib, that was the closest I could get. The bike was coming round the Old Hairpin at Donington, which is in a bit of a hollow.
I was quite pleased with the panning shots as this is the first time at shooting Motorsport, apparently coming around that part they're are in exces of 150mph!

Lovely detail in close up and I like the composition.

Implied sound, nice idea. Of the set it's #3 for me. Those guys/gals are fearless!

Cheers.

Good idea to take one outing to catch up on themes! Must try that someday .... if I get behind!

Hi Chris - now that's a great way to catch up. I love your third shot - I have no idea what the sound would be like, but that must take real nerve to do and you've caught it really well :)

Apparently there was in the region of 300 bikes and sidecars there this weekend, the noise was somewhere along what a banshee would sound like. :) it reignited my love of Motorsport.

Three themes in on go! What a way to catchup.

I love bikes, I love the boldness of the riders, I love them as machines and I love the sound they make. I have one, I love it but one day it may kill me, but then I love beer and wine so something's going to get me.

There you go, you've got three themes in one, I've got three comments in one. :)

I thought it was a good way to catch up and certainly made me think about how I wanted each shot to look. (Yes they were deliberately shot that way :) )

Not far from us at Tabernas there's a bike testing circuit and many of the big teams turn up to test tires etc because the climate is so consistent here and, not far from there is a huge Michelin testing facility. The sound implied in #3 is awesome especially as the bikes are so much smaller than my old Honda Hornet was.

As for #1 I think I'd prefer a panoramic crop with less space on the LHS :thinking: and for #2 a crop to lose the distracting extinguishers and really focus in on the bikers.

Crowd - I bet there’s a fair few pennies worth there. I just wondering whether a tad more exposure would bring this up a bit

Close Up - Same location but I really prefer this one. The use of the shallow DoF really brings this one to life. There’s a hint of colour but I think it could equally work in black and white. Nice one

Close up #2 - Super colours and detail. I have to say I like the jaunty angle. The focus is absolutely spot on.

Reshoot - Cracking shot. I’ve only been on a moped once literally round the block about 30 years ago and still can’t understand how these guys stay on. Super focus again

Machine - Another great shot with some good colours. Again sharp where it needs to be

Sound - Probably because of the excellence of the last two this struggles to complete. Still a good shot and use of panning

Crowd - I bet there’s a fair few pennies worth there. I just wondering whether a tad more exposure would bring this up a bit

Close Up - Same location but I really prefer this one. The use of the shallow DoF really brings this one to life. There’s a hint of colour but I think it could equally work in black and white. Nice one

Close up #2 - Super colours and detail. I have to say I like the jaunty angle. The focus is absolutely spot on.

Reshoot - Cracking shot. I’ve only been on a moped once literally round the block about 30 years ago and still can’t understand how these guys stay on. Super focus again

Machine - Another great shot with some good colours. Again sharp where it needs to be

Sound - Probably because of the excellence of the last two this struggles to complete. Still a good shot and use of panning

Thanks Peter for the thorough critique and also the kind words. I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed Reshoot, Machine & Sound. I'm not sure if I can fit the BTCC into this weeks theme though :)

Back