weekly d00d's 52 in 2014 ... Week 51 : Extravagant

Positive - Nice shot and good idea for the theme. I like electrical things so a thumbs up from me

Time - Clean shots but feel they are just photos of books so the final shot would be my choice. I think I'd have liked to have seen all the biscuit though.

Positive - Nice shot and good idea for the theme. I like electrical things so a thumbs up from me

Time - Clean shots but feel they are just photos of books so the final shot would be my choice. I think I'd have liked to have seen all the biscuit though.

Glad you like the 'Positive' Peter.

'Time' ... you're right "just photos of books". Yes the elevensies pic is the best *so far* ... (I know I can be a bit heavy handed with the cropping tool).

... saw this yesterday and went back today with the camera, and conditions were even better with sun on the buildings across the road.

OPENING TIMES

Untitled.jpg

Very good I love the way the reflections match the background, forming a line right out of the sign.

Very good I love the way the reflections match the background, forming a line right out of the sign.

Yes thanks ... what you're seeing of course in floor to ceiling glass to the right of the sign.

"What's the time"..... I know it's a photo of a book - well 2 books by the looks of it, and that - combined with the arrangement - is enough to lift it considerably.... The disappearance of the clocks to the top left corner, and the strong vertical of the main text really works.

The tea and biccy could be a bit brighter? maybe a bite out the biscuit?

"opening time" is a really subtle, but interesting shot.... my inital thought was "a polariser would have helped here" :), but then I saw the reflections and went :banghead:. Did you crop any off the right side? A bit more continuation of the reflection in the window would be good.

Yes thanks ... what you're seeing of course in floor to ceiling glass to the right of the sign.
I wish you hadn't told us that d00d! Like Sarah, I thought "Wow, how clever to line them up like that", but now you've spoilt the illusion :( I really like the perspective with all the diagonals. I might have adjusted the blue of the sign to make it a slightly deeper shade and bring out the contrast a bit, but I'm not sure whether that would have lost some of the detail in the reflection.

Wasn't to sure on this when I first looked, the reflections work well and even the blown out top RH corner suits but something still bugged me and i think its the crop, I'd like to see it more portrait with the LH side cropped just into the sign :thinking:

"What's the time"..... I know it's a photo of a book - well 2 books by the looks of it, and that - combined with the arrangement - is enough to lift it considerably.... The disappearance of the clocks to the top left corner, and the strong vertical of the main text really works.

The tea and biccy could be a bit brighter? maybe a bite out the biscuit?

"opening time" is a really subtle, but interesting shot.... my inital thought was "a polariser would have helped here" :), but then I saw the reflections and went :banghead:. Did you crop any off the right side? A bit more continuation of the reflection in the window would be good.

"What's the time" I wanted to incorporate one or two pics from books with a real watch, but it didn't work out.

"The tea and biccy" is strong coffee with just a little milk ... dark the way I like it. ;)

""opening time" yes I did crop the right side because there were glass double door which I intended including but decided they looked messy with little or no reflection.

Thanks for your comments Graham. :)

Last edited:
I wish you hadn't told us that d00d! Like Sarah, I thought "Wow, how clever to line them up like that", but now you've spoilt the illusion :( I really like the perspective with all the diagonals. I might have adjusted the blue of the sign to make it a slightly deeper shade and bring out the contrast a bit, but I'm not sure whether that would have lost some of the detail in the reflection.

Hi Elaine, thanks for your input. :)

I thought I'd come clean and explain about the glass panel. ;)

I used a touch of fake HDR effect tool on -not just the sign- the whole pic. It helped to bring out the reflection but makes the writing look odd. Here's an edit ...

Untitled+2.jpg

Wasn't to sure on this when I first looked, the reflections work well and even the blown out top RH corner suits but something still bugged me and i think its the crop, I'd like to see it more portrait with the LH side cropped just into the sign :thinking:

Hi Michael ... :thinking: yes it's an odd shape ... and yes it's blown in the corner but that's genuine sun reflection, I have been known to do artificial blown holes in the sky.

Well done in catching that one just right d00d with the reflections.....you've been very busy this week....of the others I like the first one .... nice composition :)

;) .... like to keep busy me dear.

Hi edited version is much better, colour is a lot nicer and natural

Yes, the edit is definitely better although in thruth I hadn't noticed that in the first picture the blue looked a bit washed out until I saw the second one. it's an interesting and different take on Time.

Edit for me David. Glare of the sign is less distracting, better colour and the yellow line below and up the far side of the sign has gone (y)

... just been playing with some circles, colours and swirly stuff ... HaHa please ignore

swirl.jpg

Hi, excellent idea to use a spring, I did too. looks like it floating though, the other two I am not getting, they seem to be graphical rather than photographical

... more innocent shoppery play
Far from innocent I'd say d00d - very mischievous! I spent ages tracing the lines with my cursor (a bit like one of those children's puzzles) trying to work out which of the 2 starting points led to which of the 3 end points :confused:

I like the colour and composition of the spring and the way it almost fades away into the background top left. What's it made of? It looks a bit like a piece of jewellery with the sparkles, but I'm guessing that's just the effect of zooming right in to bring out the detail.

Very swirly indeed fits the theme.
thanks

Hi David

Time.......think all's been said , like the reflections carrying on in to the buildings beyond but prefer the original shot

Swirl.....almost 3D , good colors .....sometimes it's just good to play in pp :)
interesting you should like the original TIME shot :)
SWIRL ... yes it's good to play and you can come up with some interesting pastel shades when layering one semi-transparent layer over another.

Time . your final edit works for me nice reflections on there
Thanks.

Time... edited one for me, good idea well spotted love the brightness and reflection (y)
swirl... nice and bright fits the theme(y)
Thanks

A ready made swirl there d00d .....looks good.

What did you use to create the other two swirls :confused:
a ready made buckled and crumpled swirl o_O
SWIRLY colours done in Paint.NET ... the first is coloured rings on top of coloured rings, set off centre ... the second is yellow rings in twist mode followed by painting over lots of yellow bits, just the centre bit of a much bigger twist .. o_O

Hi, excellent idea to use a spring, I did too. looks like it floating though, the other two I am not getting, they seem to be graphical rather than photographical
Thanks. I shot the spring hanging from a thread then airbrushed out the thread. The first two graphic images is just a bit of fun, not posted on the main 52 for 2014 thread.

Far from innocent I'd say d00d - very mischievous! I spent ages tracing the lines with my cursor (a bit like one of those children's puzzles) trying to work out which of the 2 starting points led to which of the 3 end points :confused:

I like the colour and composition of the spring and the way it almost fades away into the background top left. What's it made of? It looks a bit like a piece of jewellery with the sparkles, but I'm guessing that's just the effect of zooming right in to bring out the detail.
Glad you're enjoying my mind-boggling swirls Elaine. o_O
That's a proper spring, small but extremely tough, flash bringing out the badly damaged bits.

Last edited:
Liking the swirly spring there. I've mentioned afew ttimes recently about having a shadow or reflection to ground a subject.. But I was strangely not bothered about that here.. Guess the oddness of the shape allows me to quite happily have it floating in space.. Which you say it actually was. Think the non black bg actually works too.

Just a bit of fun ... here's dodgy old spring again, complete with shadow. :cool:

P1020937.JPG

Hi David

orangey swirl thing...very 70's , bright ,punchy.....framed as a tryptich in a retro coffee house (y)

1st spring image....good angle , like the floating effect....seems a little soft with no definite focus point ? 2nd Spring image... shadow good , focus not so good & lightiong not so good...sorry of thats harsh but trying to say it how I see it :exit:

Linked by the lock :) just a bit too tightly cropped top and bottom for me David, good colour in the rusty chain though (y)

Very earthy version of the theme. I don't like the subject but hey, who other than Salad Fingers loves rusty things?! I agree about it being tightly cropped. Good take on theme though.

Back