weekly d00d's 52 in 2016 ... week 52 celebration

Cheers guys ... rust never sleeps, that's what Neil Young says.

Selfridges have the front door covered.

ZAYoUt3XBBjDZl8MPpJRe9lm9lhu4ebBmCNFbLQc1kcdOn6FXtAzTvvMDi_3esJhLFo2-YoOso4KTRQBWnE-XYujeqw_bKFrKSupmeR5VQb9L3u9YUb2xL6aWpKMrTQyaDe2IOOIlck7pNhy2cm0agwtL4-PatetYxxpX9-n8budTwg6CXikxYNTYtVywgZpCyZLdXZEEP3b9RB2unJ6uIYUudGDJDZIyg9OcqAC45FU4YZk1Zi3_KSWw94qCna8SxGBXfxeHx7vccl3pfxt77XXYqYiFFOYfPZCeLJa0adYrornDFVJhQMOFbNzk_zxtNz4kNvqyuTZfc-unJ9Fv6BH0C8OUUCRUnfST38VLEvfy3dHq06VB-V8Drh7fanyk4Tr2YeUCAoowOqfZQJIMqVtWaervWpMKiqMTEPqXgCKiokEOhRE2ZNwosVQXetTdEx90_0lWG7nUiCXcMW8G5i6SHVSFsJZCiDICZcuEbFElsmMOvjB_cy6ZzbRW4j6NjBvwUqg0b3OQIg2v5EVg4XUvTSNqwLbVPaUDdvkTcSsMbv-1A1WKpiac2DkwWj3hiHL7b40Wd9PiPMmnWG-MJ6lx1tvZa0=w1920-h803-no

Works for me David, nice lead-in from the crossing and an interesting texture to the underside of the canopy.

A nice bit of "street" there David :)

Ooo Covered posted now too - Like that, nice crop with no clipping, shame it wasn't raining as that would;d have been the icing, but hey still great leading line of the crossing and the fancy facade and lights, even like how there is a manikin at each end too - good one (y)

Covered works for me a great street image. Love the composition and the fact the crossing draws you into the image

Works for me David, nice lead-in from the crossing and an interesting texture to the underside of the canopy.
A nice bit of "street" there David :)
Ooo Covered posted now too - Like that, nice crop with no clipping, shame it wasn't raining as that would;d have been the icing, but hey still great leading line of the crossing and the fancy facade and lights, even like how there is a manikin at each end too - good one (y)
:agree: and some nice expressions and body posture to ponder over from the people on the street, too.
Covered works for me a great street image. Love the composition and the fact the crossing draws you into the image

Thanks all. I might do a reshoot when next passing with a wider lens.

I was eyeing up this canopy for a covered shot when I realised the lights were on, on a sunny May morn. Probably the only person in Oxford St. to notice, I positioned myself across the road, wound down the EV and waited for the next cloud to come along.

Hi David :)

Rough - Super image that, stands out beautifully, lovely colours and textures, I especially like the choice of composition with the dark wheel arch and placement of the steering wheel - love it :clap:
and thanks again DK, I know you genuinely like my tractor.

Such, I would never of thought of that for covered. This 52 challenge is starting to twist my mind ! Great for street life as well

Last edited:
Horizontal - Lovely photo. I like the translucent sheen of the slats and the flowers peeking through the gaps. :)

Vast - Nice panorama! Works really well for the theme! The cloud formations behind the middle building really complement it!

Rough - Nice find! Rust looks good in the photo!

Covered - Loving the symmetry and the angles. But I’m a bit lost on the interpretation. Do you mean it’s covered with people, or what?

Hi David. I like the thought of different stories to each of the figures ... but I particularly like the composition because of the bookend mannequins. :clap:

Thanks everyone for the kind, encouraging words. (y) ... I hope no shoehorn was required.

Covered - Loving the symmetry and the angles. But I’m a bit lost on the interpretation. Do you mean it’s covered with people, or what?
Yes, I didn't give much of an explanation at the outset, I tend not to but maybe go on to add a bit of background.
I was eyeing up this canopy for a covered shot when I realised the lights were on, on a sunny May morn. Probably the only person in Oxford St. to notice, I positioned myself across the road, wound down the EV and waited for the next cloud to come along.
The people are covered by the canopy, you see.:D I know it doesn't scream covered, but it's one for those who like loose interpretations.:D
DK @Dark Knight made a good point when he said "shame it wasn't raining as that would have been the icing". For sure ... shoppers sheltering from the rain would have been more on theme.

Last edited:
Nice bit of 'street' there for Covered. It 's got a nice symmetry to it and the eye moves nicely around the frame making up stories about the people there too.

Covered - Good street shot. Interesting pattern on the bottom of the canopy

Very nice shot. I think I would have made the highlights pop a bit more and crop it perfectly symmetrical but then thats just me. I am guessing a very wide lens < 18mm as the image has a bit of barrel distortion.
Would like to see the shadows brought out a bit more so you can see where the people are going - bit of a HDR effect?

I really like the symmetry in the shot, it is well composed, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at...

Hi David

Rough definitely works and nice textures & colours. Personally I find the tyre a bit attention grabbing, but I can see why you've included it. Also worth noting that lens seems to give really nervous bokeh in the background - doesn't particularly detract from the image but in others it might?

Covered - smart enough capture but like Bernd, I feel it's lacking an obvious story? Or maybe I'm just being thick!

Nice bit of 'street' there for Covered. It 's got a nice symmetry to it and the eye moves nicely around the frame making up stories about the people there too.
thanks Jill, I know you like street.
Covered is well composed. I think, if it was possible, a long exposure similar to this one. I do like Alexey Titarenko's work.
cheers Andy .. yes that Titarenko image is fab.
Covered - Good street shot. Interesting pattern on the bottom of the canopy
thanks Minx, yes it's one amazing canopy.
Very nice shot. I think I would have made the highlights pop a bit more and crop it perfectly symmetrical but then thats just me. I am guessing a very wide lens < 18mm as the image has a bit of barrel distortion.
Would like to see the shadows brought out a bit more so you can see where the people are going - bit of a HDR effect?
Some good and valid crit Ian. I did crop it the best I could, but after posting, realised the FG crossing lines aren't quite central, could have edited but thought that was cheating. I sometime like to leave imperfections to see what crit they encourage ;) . And yes there is barrel distortion evident - shot at 18mm on DX camera, from ground level at the kerbside. Re HDR, the real thing might help to eliminate the shadows some but it's a bit slow to use for street.
I really like the symmetry in the shot, it is well composed, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at...
Hi David

Rough definitely works and nice textures & colours. Personally I find the tyre a bit attention grabbing, but I can see why you've included it. Also worth noting that lens seems to give really nervous bokeh in the background - doesn't particularly detract from the image but in others it might?

Covered - smart enough capture but like Bernd, I feel it's lacking an obvious story? Or maybe I'm just being thick!
Cheers guys ... I think I'm going to start with a description of my pics from now on, rather than saying nothing to test others responses. :D

This idea for colourful started life as a way of saying colourful in B&W as suggested HERE but as no one else has taken up that particular challenge I shot it anyway and decided to post in colour, and colours that are quite true rather than upping the saturation. Hope it works for the theme OK.

week 19 Colourful
kE30Fti0OfJFy_C1dg8xm6yMpuO1llfrKZ_t1_Yj0C2aDhwT3gG0YAsFplr8oV-fWPoYGdnbqvdGSO9tovKhGJ3bEdSKCyUl2OQ2gojmY4gmZmb2tJvZNwFuwEwV5a70-UyDybu2F1GkiZmMbrgGoxbHX8U-FHSfqTFx8SJXFSWsDc9YrFr7msQOgkg9WBPgWlvSDfxPgiNtEh9BDBQoPn3TuTaLHLVVDDmpR1IALRKadLbnwf76dNTDEJDAKrg7U7aqnNI938HdzLkpggQYtNqNNZ9FbUQx_WQ4zN9EOg7zcpcFrmBRDtfXAFIi7WcKJXfJ_UKbclK9i0obk8LINuOHPHr143xYj7MJvh9egkhAJvN4nfguC5gAY6HyWVSCSRJC3rT7FvPURfeWEGy075AT8RWbEluGQMtGJCsTyRypLAHf_68WIXH9k3MqsF9KbY_BD7ViwO8R1MUnxq5eeYbyrUydBZkhpR5Zto-fb91w69w1ynHwpuhtXs9jKoncgAtV0ghNq7iYrR8jl7tyfMqdvVmPpQDzm8fiZIlPovipG6Wowk6kD2ihzn0_Dii1Alrg7cY1_vW_sskJab93nRCSrGmrZCY=w1920-h773-no

Last edited:
Hi David - works for me theme wise, although I think the dodgy B&Q lighting has done you no favours...not much you can do there though! :)

Well I am disappointed was waiting for the colourful black and white, never mind the nice subtle shades work well

I'm still debating a b&w response for Colourful - without resorting to SC that is. Absolutely right not to up the saturation David - WB looks spot on to me. I like the symmetry and crop. :clap:

Back