weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

Beautifully done David. Love the composition and the basket itself - the autumnal colours set against the b&w chequered floor are just fabulous.
Works very well David.
A full basket of fruit and the OoF leaves in the background (y)
(tis almost a "seasonal" submission :D )
Oooooo very nice David, love the garden path !!!

Nice colours and the fallen leaves blown up against the background is a real nice touch, rounded off with the perfect DoF by the looks of it, great fruit basket, full to the brim (y)
I think you' ve manged two in one there with a fab Full basket of apples in a very Seasonal context. Love this pic, one of my favourites this year :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks guys, I was just aiming at for something simple and pretty too ... and it worked. I'm wowed by your comments.

Last edited:
Wonderful composition, detail and nice DOF.

A subtle vignette would be my only suggestion.

Cheers.
Cheers I did work at a sort of random brush-stroke frame but abandoned the idea.

Week 44 Seasonal .... the poppy season, taken a couple of days ago, I'm generally pleased with my alternative POV but there's something, can't explain what, that makes me want to do a reshoot, but what with this questionable weather, I PABD. There is a peacefulness about it I like.

44.seasonal.jpg

Its certainly a different PoV David, but I'm not totally convinced that it works, maybe its the lack of names that you usually get to see on the memorial?
Its a really nice image in its own right though (y)

FULL:
Can't add much to the other comments. It's a really good shot which would have been just as at home in Seasonal as in Full.
Hell, you could also make an arguement for Habit too (An apple a day etc.)

Hi David. I quite like the stark contrasts in colour and materials. Always such a solemn occasion. My eyes seem to be drawn to the sharp corners of the plinths rh side as much as to the poppies. Good one for the theme.

Hi there David,

Shimmer: This was a tricky theme but you've pulled it off I think with the shimmering bubbles.
Elements: Cleverly done. I like the continents on the "Earth" and the wind :D
Full: Stunning shot this. Excellent composition, colours and spot on the theme. A favourite of the year for sure.
Seasonal: Certainly spot on the theme. The bold reds really stand out against the grey.

Hi d00d, excellent basket of apples for full, the colours in the apples are excellent :clap:

not to sure about the seasonal shot can't put my finger on why either :thinking:

Love the basketful of apples - lovely colours and dof with the oof leaves in the bg. I like the rather different viewpoint for the poppies, but as has already been said, shame about the laminate :(

Thanks all ... yes I did try, unsuccessfully, to do something about that label thing, so just left it.

@susiejb ... the poppies are the seasonal, the apples are Full but seasonal also. :)

Seems that people generally think that smoking is a habit, its more an expensive luxury these days :D
Nicely taken David, the burnt match is a nice touch too (y)

Week 45 Seasonal reshoot ... it wasn't me who moved the wreaths, honest.

44.seasonal2a.jpg

Last edited:
Much better IMO David (y)

Hi d00d thats one posh ashtray you have, nice take on the theme but then i would say that

I agree with Cobra about the reshoot much better

Hi David :D

Habit - Liking the white surface against the black background, the smoke stands out nicely, well set up elements too, looks like an OCD smoker lining up his next one already :D - No crit from me :clap:

Seasonal - Ahhhhhhhh that is MUCH better in my opinion, the bright reefs lead up to the monument as do the converging trees, like the processing too, nice one (y)

Habit...I'd like to see more detail in the smoke and I feel the second cigarette doesn't really add anything.

Nice detail and on theme.

Cheers.

David, sorry I've had a busy few weeks, I just wanted to say that I am in wowed by everything in your superb basket full of apples shot. That is wall art!

I'm finding it hard to get any feeling from the memorial, can't put my finger on it...

It's a good effort for habit, the dead match works but I'm confused by the black area and the extra cigarette. A tighter crop perhaps?

Last edited:
Seems that people generally think that smoking is a habit, its more an expensive luxury these days :D
Nicely taken David, the burnt match is a nice touch too (y)

burnt match hmmmm thanks.

Much better IMO David (y)

(y)

Hi d00d thats one posh ashtray you have, nice take on the theme but then i would say that

I agree with Cobra about the reshoot much better
(y)

Hi David :D

Habit - Liking the white surface against the black background, the smoke stands out nicely, well set up elements too, looks like an OCD smoker lining up his next one already :D - No crit from me :clap:

Seasonal - Ahhhhhhhh that is MUCH better in my opinion, the bright reefs lead up to the monument as do the converging trees, like the processing too, nice one (y)
(y)

Habit...I'd like to see more detail in the smoke and I feel the second cigarette doesn't really add anything.

Nice detail and on theme.

Cheers.
(y) Yes my first attempt at smoke detail. It was going in a straight line upwards, I was pushing it down between shots. Next time ... a better light arrangement and a faster shutter speed. The second cigarette doesn't really add anything.
Hi d00d.
I agree with the others, the light and dark sections of habit work well to capture the smoke from the cigarette, and the Seasonal shot is much better than the previous shot.
(y)

David, sorry I've had a busy few weeks, I just wanted to say that I am in wowed by everything in your superb basket full of apples shot. That is wall art!
a bit girlie?

I'm finding it hard to get any feeling from the memorial, can't put my finger on it...
over pp'd probably.

It's a good effort for habit, the dead match works but I'm confused by the black area and the extra cigarette. A tighter crop perhaps?
Hmmm Yeah .. a tighter crop perhaps

Hi d00d ....much prefer the new memorial shot, I really like the composition and processing with be selective B&W. Habit ...interesting composition ...I can just see the smoke on the black background, i like the blue ashtray...gives the shot a nice lift.
We don't have ashtrays so I used a butter dish. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
How on earth did these manage to slip by. Hi David - sorry for the delayed review.

Habit - Really good image - like the match, smoke trail but tops is that butter dish, lovely pattern.
Seasonal - Nice bit of colour popping. Eyes are drawn naturally upward from the wreaths to the statue. Great take.

How on earth did these manage to slip by. Hi David - sorry for the delayed review.
You're still one of the quickest to respond which is good for the momentum of the challenge. (y)

Habit - Really good image - like the match, smoke trail but tops is that butter dish, lovely pattern.
Smoke trails is a first for me. Needs perfecting.

Seasonal - Nice bit of colour popping. Eyes are drawn naturally upward from the wreaths to the statue. Great take.
I've got a new camera, new toy, and the memorial was my first shoot after a few mindless clicks at home. I didn't know how to select metering, HDR or anything much, so it needed lots of PP.

Your clothes pegs are in a much better state than ours! Nice contrast of the blue against the white

Nice focus and, like Chris says, great colour contrast; WB is spot on. No evidence of camera shake either ... Brrrrrr !

Hi d00d nice colours indeed nice fake snow, you seem to have a thing about pegs :eek:

I agree with the above, you certainly have that pegged (y)

( sorry :coat: )

Like it. Very vivid blues and nice texture in the covering. Now I know how big the pegs are but, I can't help looking and seeing massive pegs :)

Cheers.

Your clothes pegs are in a much better state than ours! Nice contrast of the blue against the white
(y)
Nice focus and, like Chris says, great colour contrast; WB is spot on. No evidence of camera shake either ... Brrrrrr !
I don't do camera shake :D
Beautiful colors, David... Love the color contrast (y) but then again, I am a sucker for blue coloured items :LOL:
Thanks ... me too Nora ... a real sucker for the blue.
nice original idea for the theme David, you have done well with the colour balance, would have been really easy to get a blue cast, nice one (y)
Cheers DK ... EV+1
Hi d00d nice colours indeed nice fake snow, you seem to have a thing about pegs :eek:
Snow? I was trying to portray a dusting of Tescos plain flour.
I agree with the above, you certainly have that pegged (y)
( sorry :coat: )
Like it. Very vivid blues and nice texture in the covering. Now I know how big the pegs are but, I can't help looking and seeing massive pegs :)
I know what you mean Andy ... they look like oversized pegs in the snow. But no ...

Back