weekly Daves 2018 TP 52 WEEK 52 SHOWCASE COMPLETED

hard - the fork for me, nice reflections and well controlled light!
creature - both are great photos, but I prefer the bee, so much detail!

Hi Dave,
Music - I prefer the colour version. It seems to have more sparkle than the mono. I wasn't expecting a mini shoe-horned into this theme from you!
Hard - The fork over the case for me. The case just doesn't say anything to me.
Creature - The humble bumble shot. I don't do bugs / insects, it's the colours you've captured that makes it my preference.

Hi Dave,
Music - I prefer the colour version. It seems to have more sparkle than the mono. I wasn't expecting a mini shoe-horned into this theme from you!
Hard - The fork over the case for me. The case just doesn't say anything to me.
Creature - The humble bumble shot. I don't do bugs / insects, it's the colours you've captured that makes it my preference.

Thank you Tim for the comments and for looking. I was going to go for a busker shot for music but changed my mind when I found out about the mini run. Hard was just to get a shot in. On the bee shot, it`s the first I`ve seen them for a while here.

Well its on theme can't deny that but it a pill placed on a piece of material which isn't flat there seems no effort to make a picture you could have added some more pills just 1 or 2 or had the pills spilling out of a bottle maybe a glass of water in the frame, something that sets a scene.

Well its on theme can't deny that but it a pill placed on a piece of material which isn't flat there seems no effort to make a picture you could have added some more pills just 1 or 2 or had the pills spilling out of a bottle maybe a glass of water in the frame, something that sets a scene.

Thank you Allan, my ones come in a packet so as I had to take one I only needed the one, it kept moving so had to crumple the material to stop it.

:agree: .... which made me think of one I did for Medicine 2015 HERE I was chuffed as it was not at all inspired by another pic I'd seen, it was something creative I came up with whilst playing. :)

:agree: .... which made me think of one I did for Medicine 2015 HERE I was chuffed as it was not at all inspired by another pic I'd seen, it was something creative I came up with whilst playing. :)

Thank you David, and for the link to your one too. Forgot to put this one in, close up of a synthetic brush.

DSCF0608.jpg

I'm in two minds about your synthetic photo, not at I am a student of photographic genres but on the one hand for me it has kind of a "punk" feel to it and there could be unanswered questions (perhaps if the pill was something more dangerous than an antibiotic), on the other hand it's a simple shot of an antibiotic. And I suppose that is the difficult of giving "crit" on these things, without a body of supporting work, I don't know if you were going for the dangers of a synthetic high or just a photo of a capsule.

I'm in two minds about your synthetic photo, not at I am a student of photographic genres but on the one hand for me it has kind of a "punk" feel to it and there could be unanswered questions (perhaps if the pill was something more dangerous than an antibiotic), on the other hand it's a simple shot of an antibiotic. And I suppose that is the difficult of giving "crit" on these things, without a body of supporting work, I don't know if you were going for the dangers of a synthetic high or just a photo of a capsule.

Thank you for looking and the comment Chris.

Hi Dave,
As others have said, this one is a bit difficult to critique.
It doesn't really sell a story to me by itself, perhaps a different background, like, I dunno.... a spoon or a syringe and you would be more into story telling mode.
Having read your post in the discussion thread, I can fully understand why it is what it is :/

Can't deny it's on theme though ;)

2 good shots for creature.

The pigeon looks nice and sharp with nice reflective colours around the neck, and a nice pleasing background that looks like it trails off into the distance.

The bee is a mixed image for me. I like the bee and the flowers and greens in the foreground but find the background to be a bit busy. Having said that, bees are a bugger to photograph as I tried that type of shot for creature too and nothing was as nice as yours.

Synthetic - Good idea for the theme, but for me it is a little uninspiring as a picture. Feels like it's lacking some context surrounding the pill.

Ross

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
As others have said, this one is a bit difficult to critique.
It doesn't really sell a story to me by itself, perhaps a different background, like, I dunno.... a spoon or a syringe and you would be more into story telling mode.
Having read your post in the discussion thread, I can fully understand why it is what it is :/

Can't deny it's on theme though ;)

2 good shots for creature.

The pigeon looks nice and sharp with nice reflective colours around the neck, and a nice pleasing background that looks like it trails off into the distance.

The bee is a mixed image for me. I like the bee and the flowers and greens in the foreground but find the background to be a bit busy. Having said that, bees are a bugger to photograph as I tried that type of shot for creature too and nothing was as nice as yours.

Synthetic - Good idea for the theme, but for me it is a little uninspiring as a picture. Feels like it's lacking some context surrounding the pill.

Ross

Thank you both for the good feedback, like I said in the daily thread I have not a clue when I will be back, but will be making a note of the themes.

Reactions: LC2
Hi Dave, those are two lovely detailed images for Creatures but my favourite is the Bee. I find those little things fascinating and you've captured lots of colour and furry details.

For Synthetic, I do like the brush image with all those ends pointing in different directions. An original idea and angle, and It really suits the mono processing (y)

Hi Dave, those are two lovely detailed images for Creatures but my favourite is the Bee. I find those little things fascinating and you've captured lots of colour and furry details.

For Synthetic, I do like the brush image with all those ends pointing in different directions. An original idea and angle, and It really suits the mono processing (y)

Thank you Andrea for the feedback and for looking.

Dave

Hard, Much prefer the folk Image, just enought reflection and there is lots of detail in the folk itself.

Creatures, Big fat pigeon, but I prefer the Bee, better and contrasting colours. good dof covering the bee and the flowers, background leaves going nicely oof.

Synthectic, an on Theme shot. Keep looking after your Mum Dave, thats the important thing.

Second synthectic is more interesting.

Pete

Dave

Hard, Much prefer the folk Image, just enought reflection and there is lots of detail in the folk itself.

Creatures, Big fat pigeon, but I prefer the Bee, better and contrasting colours. good dof covering the bee and the flowers, background leaves going nicely oof.

Synthectic, an on Theme shot. Keep looking after your Mum Dave, thats the important thing.

Second synthectic is more interesting.

Pete

Thank you for looking and the comments Pete, I managed a shot for Rural before I went over to mums but it`s just a shot of a plant in the overgrowing park here.

I will be busy at mums this week, so today went to the park with Susie and some of the area is rural as overgrown grass so taken with the X-T2 + XF 35mm f2. I could of taken a shot with cleaner BG but wanted to show the oof bg with the main focus on the flower.

Rural by Dave, on Flickr

OOF BGs rule ... or they do 90 something % of the time .... (I did a f/36 for my rural week).

... glorious shot Dave. (y)

That's beautiful, Dave. Do you know what it is? Lovely blue petals and spidery bits around it, and the OOF green background of tangled shoots sets it off nicely.

Thank you Andrea for the nice words, it is called Nigella Damascena ( Love in the Mist ).

Last edited:
OOF BGs rule ... or they do 90 something % of the time .... (I did a f/36 for my rural week).

... glorious shot Dave. (y)

Glad to see you're still with us Dave :)
Nice sharp image, the blue of the plant certainly pops from the background well.

The background works perfectly for the image. Good use of dof, sharp spot-on focus with the blue adds a spot of colour to a sea of green. Nice work, Dave. :clap:

Thank you folks for the comments and for looking.

Lovely flower shot - you could brighten it a bit I think - the histogram is well to the left.

To help me over the last weeks I have been getting out with the X-T2 + XF 35mm f2 every day, as taking photos has been a fantastic help to me as we all grieve in our own ways. These two shots were taken after the bright theme, it was a very hot and bright day for these two. Natalie I had to crop like this as the glass gave off bad reflections, and the drummer is Lee. All singing and playing on a hot bright sunny day.

Natalie by Dave, on Flickr

Bright sun on Lee

Lee Bridges by Dave, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think your choice for the main thread was right. Singing faces are so hard to capture pleasantly, whereas the drummer just looks like he's in motion (which I guess he is).
I like the hidden details such as the fact he's barefoot.

I like your shot of the drummer more Dave, it looks more natural to me

Bright
I like the drummer, a bit more space to the right may have looked better, but i understand it might not have been possible.

Back