weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

Hey Dean ... cutting it fine again I see. The buildings may not be "the nicest" but the pano is great - the slight ripple in the water and the reflections of the street scene are excellent. Not sure about white buildings on the lhs as they only serve to create a harsh break from the flowing yellow street scene so may have cropped them out. :clap:
Cheers Carl :)

Will reply to Susie as well as same thought )

Hi DK ....think I agree with Carl there, its such a nice golden scene, it would work well without the buildings on the left, smashing reflections and the pano works perfectly.
Thanks Susie :)

Well.... I did actually try it, but a couple of things bugged me when I did, 1) the large flats seemed a too abrupt a start at the edge of the frame, and putting them on the 1/3 felt a bit better - 2) I also put it back in as the image looked sooooo like the white balance was out - 3) I also liked the balance of the white moon on the RH side and the white buildings on the left...

But hey.... happy to go with suggestions so lets see a quick crop.. let me know what you think ?? :)

JI3A7446-Pano-Edit-Edit-2 by TP DK, on Flickr

and here is the original... Struggling again to lose the new test watermark :()

Last edited:
'ello, I prefer the original, quite noisy, though and was it really that orange :)

I'd love to live next to water.

Cheers from the 'commenting slacker' :p
Haaaaa slacker :LOL:

It was very noisy on purpose, ISO 25,600 + I added medium grain in Lightroom :D

As for Orange, yes it was mate, the streetlights, that's why I kept the white buildings in to show the WB wasn't out :)

Thanks Andy... Dean :)

Well.... I did actually try it, but a couple of things bugged me when I did, 1) the large flats seemed a too abrupt a start at the edge of the frame, and putting them on the 1/3 felt a bit better - 2) I also put it back in as the image looked sooooo like the white balance was out - 3) I also liked the balance of the white moon on the RH side and the white buildings on the left...
Thanks for the crop Dean - I see what you mean. Agree, original best.

I like the original ... nothing but yellow otherwise. Plus it's just a little more pano.

Good stuff DK.

Well done DK, not many of us can stick to this kind of challenge, looking for ward to the next submission

Nice low-light image Dean, I really need to do more of these (y)

First one for me though it does look slightly overexposed was going to mention the grain too but it seems it was your inner artist at play :p

Thanks for the crop Dean - I see what you mean. Agree, original best.
YAY !!! glad you think so Carl :)

I like the original ... nothing but yellow otherwise. Plus it's just a little more pano.

Good stuff DK.
Good point... and thanks David :)

Well done DK, not many of us can stick to this kind of challenge, looking for ward to the next submission
Thank you John :)

Nice low-light image Dean, I really need to do more of these (y)
Cheers Chris, That you must try, just think of all the shoehorns that could be achieved in pitch darkness :D

First one for me though it does look slightly overexposed was going to mention the grain too but it seems it was your inner artist at play :p
Haaaa got you there then mate !!! - Thanks Allan :)

Last edited:
And here is mine

Had a nice trip to a local 1940's day, there were loads of people in character, had a really good day but the weather was really dull, everything looked so flat when processed so limited to images to submit, although this was one of my first choices... One for Tim :D

Wk 38 - Pair

Oh yeah, I like that Dean. Nice treatment merging the steam with the sky to offset the dull day. :clap:

Your link back to this page doesn't work and your thread title is stuck at "ancient" and that's before I have even started on your picture......

I like it, you have out timmed tim, one of the best train themed shots I have seen, have to say those pair are a bit clean looking for driving a train.

DK,
B&W - Well I think it's a decent bit of Low Key shooting and kudos for thinking about adding the catchlights - I suspect many of us wouldn't have thought of that (or had the light ;) )

Ancient - I really like that shot DK. It really does lead your eye to the tree even though it's one of many. Cool story too.

Urban - The original seems to have disappeared (as @ 09:38 18/09) so not able to comment on the difference between them. It is very orange (as others have commented on), but the moon does seem to balance it.

Pair - Blimey that S&DJR 7F doesn't have get around, I think were getting her at our our Autumn Gala too, I last saw her at the WSR and iirc, she's based at Butterley. Good shot of the crew and great to show that there is quite a lot of younger people in the preservation movement.

Pair, Your'll have Tim after you :D
Very nice Dean :)

( BTW Linky now fixed some people Eh? :p )

Oh yeah, I like that Dean. Nice treatment merging the steam with the sky to offset the dull day. :clap:
Thank you Carl :)

:agree: nicely done
Cheers Chris :)

Your link back to this page doesn't work and your thread title is stuck at "ancient" and that's before I have even started on your picture......
Ooooops... I was having one of them days :D

I like it, you have out timmed tim, one of the best train themed shots I have seen, have to say those pair are a bit clean looking for driving a train.
Haaaa good point, I think they were wearing fresh gear for the 1940's event, not certain the shirts and ties are standard uniform :D

DK,
B&W - Well I think it's a decent bit of Low Key shooting and kudos for thinking about adding the catchlights - I suspect many of us wouldn't have thought of that (or had the light ;) )
Thank you Tim :)

Ancient - I really like that shot DK. It really does lead your eye to the tree even though it's one of many. Cool story too.
Thanks again Tim... it is a nice story I think :)

Urban - The original seems to have disappeared (as @ 09:38 18/09) so not able to comment on the difference between them. It is very orange (as others have commented on), but the moon does seem to balance it.
Ooooo hopefully that will be fixed in a mo @LC2 <EDIT> I have added the original under the edit to make it easier to see why I kept the white buildings in :)

Pair - Blimey that S&DJR 7F doesn't have get around, I think were getting her at our our Autumn Gala too, I last saw her at the WSR and iirc, she's based at Butterley. Good shot of the crew and great to show that there is quite a lot of younger people in the preservation movement.
Cool, you sure know your stuff :) - I'm surprised they get around so much, but guess it's the only way they pay for themselves :)

Love the processing DK ...super steamy image...top notch shot :clap:
Oooo thanks Susie :)

Pair, Your'll have Tim after you :D
Very nice Dean :)

( BTW Linky now fixed some people Eh? :p )
Hahaaa I was hoping for some pointers from Tim :) ... and thanks for fixing the link :)

Last edited:
Fabulous shot for Pair. Nicely captured. Love the raising steam and the pair in conversation. :clap:
OOo thanks Stan :)

Well spotted and perfectly timed for the reshoot Captive shot. What have the old togger done now? Don't tell me he's in trouble just for taking some photography! :)
Hahaaaa yeah that's what I put it down too, and for having a futuristic filmless device :D

My word - couldn't have a more appropriate image for Captive. Excellent timing.
Thanks Carl :)

Is he blond? and would that be a fair cop?

:D
Ha ha haaaaaaa :LOL:

Groan :)

Captive was well spotted, perfect timing, really caught the moment
Cheers Chris :)

Yeah - collared for indecent exposure.
Oh dear :D

Stunning shot for Pair and a great 'capture' for the reshoot.:clap:
Cool - thank you Liz :cool:

I like the wider urban shot too, Dean.
Thanks Em :)
And two great shots from the 1940s day! Perfect timing on captive and I love the pair shot - wonderful composition and interaction between the two.
Thanks again :)

urban - I prefer the original crop. Pity about the light pollution on the RHS, and I would have used a slower shutter speed rather than such a high ISO, but then you would have lost the ripple on the water.

pair - great shot, very steamy, and who doesn’t like trains.

captive - well timed!

Lol DK, that is an amusing take on the 'captive' theme. (y)
Cheers Tim :)

urban - I prefer the original crop. Pity about the light pollution on the RHS, and I would have used a slower shutter speed rather than such a high ISO, but then you would have lost the ripple on the water.

pair - great shot, very steamy, and who doesn’t like trains.

captive - well timed!
Thank you Bernd, I wish I had got my tripod out for urban just so I had a contrasting image for comparisons :)

:) great Captive shot DK ...what a lucky find for the theme.

Agree with Andy b&w would emphasis the forties feel to it.
Thank you Susie :)

Hmmmm with you saying it too I may well do one tomorrow if I get home early enough :)

And here is mine for this week...

As some of you may know who follow my FB & Instagram etc. I had the chance of a lifetime to photograph some catwalk shows on Sunday by Canon UK for the London Fashion Weekend, set inside the Saatchi Gallery and in the official 'photographers pit' I sure had a day to remember :)

To cut a looooooong story short, it was a Big day for me, I saw and photographed some Big name presenters and some Big name fashion houses. This model had a great presence, and this outfit by J. JS Lee made of Big stitched (crochet or knit ??)

Anyway, here is one of hundreds of images I am slowly working my way through:

Wk 38 - Big and Bold fashion

Wk 39 - Big by TP DK, on Flickr

Back