weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

Well I'm the only one to say .... I wish you'd got in much closer to the subject whist still including the trees at the top.

A pleasing image all the same. (y)

Well, I would try to comment on your Alien shot DK, but it doesn't seem to exist.
Liquid - Very silky shot. I like the foreground leading lines, but the wind farm on the horizon is a blight on the scenery. (I suppose it adds balance though...)
Cracked - You don't need the canopy, that works well enough as it is. (y)

I like the idea, composition and colours... not so sure about the quite heavy vignette but if it's needed to keep the eyes from wandering around, who am I to argue...
Thank you Brrnd... in fact I'm now opening Lightroom to post one without it, as quite a few of you feel the same :)

Great angle on this one DK, it works really well with those lovely autumn colours.
Thanks Susie :)

I'm hoping to pop back in a few weeks to get some shots with more fallen leaves, though the chestnut would not stand out so much so will have to conjure something else :thinking:

Well I'm the only one to say .... I wish you'd got in much closer to the subject whist still including the trees at the top.

A pleasing image all the same. (y)
Thanks David... :) and to be honest I wish I had too, on the screen it looked plenty close enough :confused:

I'd rather I could see the whole photograph ;)
Haaaaa :p

Lovely textures and autumnal colours.

Not keen on the vignette.

Nice DOF.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy :)

Now people keep mentioning it, makes me soooo wonder :D

Well, I would try to comment on your Alien shot DK, but it doesn't seem to exist.
Really.... I'll look back when I have posted this :thinking:
Liquid - Very silky shot. I like the foreground leading lines, but the wind farm on the horizon is a blight on the scenery. (I suppose it adds balance though...)
Thanks Tim :)

The amount of times I cloned them out, put them back, cloned them out again :D
Cracked - You don't need the canopy, that works well enough as it is. (y)
Thanks again Tim :)

Right.... so here is one without the Vignette (but including all the cloning AND the crop

Vignette removed - Week 34 by TP DK, on Flickr

And Here is one pre crop AND cloned to remove any distracting green leaves that I felt distracted the gaze from the chestnuts...

Not sure about you, but I kept finding my eyes being pulled to the larger and much brighter treeline area :thinking:

No crop or clone or vignette :D by TP DK, on Flickr

and here is a tight crop of just the nutty thing... I much preferred the detail in this one of course, but felt it didn't have enough context/ a bit snapshoty - decisions decisions hey :D

Tight Crop by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank you Shirley :)

So that rather than the broader crop ??
My eyes drifted to the top of the page and out of the wood, then realise the subject is at the bottom of the page and then scroll back down. Btw who is Paul, thought he was Chris.

I love your water, the horizon is crystal clear and the sea is smooth, I forgot what the theme for that was.

Last edited:
My eyes drifted to the top of the page and out of the wood, then realise the subject is at the bottom of the page and then scroll back down. Btw who is Paul, thought he was Chris.

I love your water, the horizon is crystal clear and the sea is smooth, I forgot what the theme for that was.
Ahhh yes that what my eyes did, that's why I chopped the top off :D

The sea shot was for 'Liquid' :)

And now moving on...

I am yet to do my 'Spooky' image, but today I went for a walk on the broads again trying to get a nice misty shot, unfortunately by the time I got to where I wanted to get (a mill I visited and used a few weeks ago, but was happy to visit again for a 're-shoot' image) most of the ground mist was gone, so with minimal detail in the sky I decided to turn this into a black and white... This time I made sure to get a good smooth and full reflection, and a clear view down the river - Hope you like it.

Week 44 - re-shoot 'Abandoned'

Good reflection with a kind of minimal feel to it, I like it. I don't think we always need dramatic skies, the clean background allows the subject to stand out and the river disappearing almost to infinity adds depth

BTW your link from the pictures thread doesn't seem to be working

Nice re-shoot Dean, I like the reflection and the way the "drain" leads you past the old abandoned mill.

(Links fixed at no extra change BTW :p )

Good reflection with a kind of minimal feel to it, I like it. I don't think we always need dramatic skies, the clean background allows the subject to stand out and the river disappearing almost to infinity adds depth

BTW your link from the pictures thread doesn't seem to be working
Ahhhh my links are playing up (Shhh trying to keep Chris busy really :whistle:)

Thank you for the kind comments, I like and agree with your thoughts on skies, sometime we always want it ALL !!! - when at times less is indeed more :)

Such a great subject and you have done it justice here, love that windmill
Thank you Allan :)

Nice re-shoot Dean, I like the reflection and the way the "drain" leads you past the old abandoned mill.
Ahhhh yes, drain, see you know your stuff, cheers Chris (y)

(Links fixed at no extra change BTW :p )
Ahhhhh :whistle: - Thanks mate :)

Thats a lovey image with great reflections.

Shame the other half of the sails have gone as it would balance the windmill out more.

Shame the other half of the sails have gone as it would balance the windmill out more.

shame ... for those in the windmill business perhaps, whilst this being an old toggers dream.

Nice one DK ... the original wasn't in B&W .... I seem to remember liking the FG grass colours.

Having said that, this is perfection, and you know it. ;)

Last edited:
Thats a lovey image with great reflections.

Very true Mark, thank you for the visit and compliment :)

shame ... for those in the windmill business perhaps, whilst this being an old toggers dream.
Exactly mate, we have dozens of them around here, most of them are in such a state :(

Nice one DK ... the original wasn't in B&W .... I seem to remember liking the FG grass colours.
Correct, quite bright when I visited a couple of months ago, I'm hoping to go again when the frosts come :)

Having said that, this is perfection, and you know it. ;)
wow... thank you David :cool:

Hi DK

Abandoned Re-Shoot - Very different takes on the same shot. Actually, I prefer the first, but I can see how the B&W might have worked for spooky if there had been the mist around. Pesky weather, not playing ball for you either.

Hi DK

Abandoned Re-Shoot - Very different takes on the same shot. Actually, I prefer the first, but I can see how the B&W might have worked for spooky if there had been the mist around. Pesky weather, not playing ball for you either.
Cheers Tim :)

It sure isn't playing ball, hey cant have it all our own way or where would the challenge be :)

Skipping a week here, so on to this weeks...

Weather was real poor here today, raining all day so my intended walk was not going to happen, so I decided to try off camera flash again, we (Mrs DK and I) had a play about between the showers, and today settled on 2 speedlights, one with a mini softbox and one diffused to light up the leaves (I tried a brolly at first but the strong wind kept catching it).

Results- Happy with what I got, again not as sharp as many of the other shots I got but this had the bet DoF, lighting and 'Pose' combination :)

I must say I really enjoyed it today, I'm finally feeling really comfortable with the Speedlight's and the canon radio trigger, so looking forward to my next go.

So here is my WK 45 - Pose

Wk 45 - Pose by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Skipping a week here, so on to this weeks...
The keeper of the score card is not allowed to skip a week, go stand in the corner and think about what you did :p

Thats a lovely portrait of Mrs DK, Dean, and the lighting is spot on (y)

Very nicely done, Mrs DK stands out well against the background of leaves and the touches of wood add a nice feel, one tiny nit-pick is that leaf between her arm and jumper.

That is really well done Dean - I really like the colours and density of those lovely autumn leaves. You've done a great job of concealing that jacket you strategically placed for Mrs. DK to sit on - great pose, nice eye contact.

The keeper of the score card is not allowed to skip a week, go stand in the corner and think about what you did :p
Yeah I know hey :D

I was again going out to a local church to get my shot last night but it was p***ing down, it still is :( - Soooo if I don't get that shot soon it will be something else cobbled together :D

Thats a lovely portrait of Mrs DK, Dean, and the lighting is spot on (y)
Thanks Chris :)

Very nicely done, Mrs DK stands out well against the background of leaves and the touches of wood add a nice feel, one tiny nit-pick is that leaf between her arm and jumper.
Ahhh well spotted Chris :)

That is really well done Dean - I really like the colours and density of those lovely autumn leaves. You've done a great job of concealing that jacket you strategically placed for Mrs. DK to sit on - great pose, nice eye contact.
Hahaaaa Thanks Carl, there was a padded seat pad to be honest :D

Nice portrait, did she fall or was she pushed ? Nice even lighting so you are using the speedlights effectively, now pull your finger out and get on with last weeks

Im not a portrait lover Dean, but that works really well. The overall colours work well together, and of course have an Autumnal feel.

Back