weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

And onto this weeks....

A tough theme I think albeit quite broad, I have been away for 4 days with a bunch of fellow talk photography peeps in Northumberland, loads of photography and some stunning landscapes, and for me the 52 is for getting me out with my camera at weekends, so this week I have chosen a shot from my trip, I thought throughout the days away as to what I could take for the theme and this I feel works quite well.

The Holy Island of Lindisfarne is a tidal island off the northeast coast of England. It is also known just as Holy Island. It constitutes the civil parish of Holy Island in Northumberland. Holy Island has a recorded history from the 6th century AD. It was an important centre of Celtic Christianity under Saints Aidan of Lindisfarne, Cuthbert, Eadfrith of Lindisfarne and Eadberht of Lindisfarne. A religious culture dating back centuries.

I took loads of the castle, and this was for me the most different, I liked the pastel shades during the sunrise, the mist around the castle, the frosty grass, the starburst and the contrail battered by the winds as though it is rising from the sun, but not certain if the sun is too distracting :)

Wk 48 - Culture

Last edited:
Indeed...
Cracking bit of work only to display the wrong camera brand.... :wacky:
Hmmmmm - thank you Mark :LOL:

It works for me DK, there was enough difference in focus between you and the camera to direct me to the camera itself, even though you are the larger bright point in the shot.
Jealous of the mkIV ;)
Cheers Tim, it was a tough choice focus wise and exposure wise how far to go :) - as for the camera, I am blessed for sure to be able to get one., a very understanding Mrs DK xx !!!

That's a wonderful shot Dean ... for all the reasons you mention. I love the subtlety of the colours and how they blend softy together. Great silhouette of the castle too.

That's a wonderful shot Dean ... for all the reasons you mention. I love the subtlety of the colours and how they blend softy together. Great silhouette of the castle too.
Cool - Thank you Carl :cool:

I added an edit to the post, wasn't certain if the sun was over powering... or if it is me just going OCD at the shot as usual :D

Great landscape, great colours, and great details in the stone wall in the foreground. And good link to the theme of the week!

Seems a lllooonngggg time ago :(

On theme and well composed. Only crit I have is the grad seems a little heavy and low as it's quite far down into the field. Slight but of blending/masking would improve IMO.

Cheers and you joining us at Glencoe?

Very nicely composed Dean.
I like the way the wall leads to the sun, then the vapour trial leads from there ...
Then all of a sudden, eyes left, there is more to see :)

I could see that hanging on a wall (y)

as for the camera, I am blessed for sure to be able to get one., a very understanding Mrs DK xx !!!
Mine too, but only an 80D, not a mkIV. To be fair, I wanted the 80D as it's a fair bit smaller than the mkIII, so easier to lug about.

That's a really cool shot. I like the way both the wall and the cloud formation lead you to the sunrise starburst, which balances out the Castle (I thought it was a Monastery - every day's a school day!).

I can't help thinking of Gascoigne singing 'Fog on the Tyne' though (my warped mind making the leap from Lindisfarne to Gazza).

Really good and different take of a much photographed subject and I like the vapour trail echoing the line of the wall, leading to the sunrise. It is certainly a significant part of British culture so bang on theme I think.

Great landscape, great colours, and great details in the stone wall in the foreground. And good link to the theme of the week!
Thank you Bernrd :)
Seems a lllooonngggg time ago :(
Doesn't it just :(

On theme and well composed. Only crit I have is the grad seems a little heavy and low as it's quite far down into the field. Slight but of blending/masking would improve IMO.
To be honest mate, no grad in PP just ND which was hard to stop the sun blowing, I had it just below the castle iirc so not sure how to do it :thinking: advice welcome :)

Here is the SOOC before crop, rotate and shadow lift

SOOC - Lindisfarne Sunrise by TP DK, on Flickr

Cheers and you joining us at Glencoe?
I Sure hope to :)

Very nice indeed nicely composed using the wall, how long where you waiting for the sun to pop up
Not long to be honest mate, was walking down to the castle after being in the bay for the initial sunrise, when I spotted the convergence of elements :)

Last edited:
Very nicely composed Dean.
I like the way the wall leads to the sun, then the vapour trial leads from there ...
Then all of a sudden, eyes left, there is more to see :)

I could see that hanging on a wall (y)
Wow... thanks Chris :) (y)

Mine too, but only an 80D, not a mkIV. To be fair, I wanted the 80D as it's a fair bit smaller than the mkIII, so easier to lug about.
And a VERY valid point mate :)

That's a really cool shot. I like the way both the wall and the cloud formation lead you to the sunrise starburst, which balances out the Castle (I thought it was a Monastery - every day's a school day!).
To be honest I have seen it listed as both, it was a monastery but even the National Trust list it as a Castle, so maybe it was enclosed in one ??

I can't help thinking of Gascoigne singing 'Fog on the Tyne' though (my warped mind making the leap from Lindisfarne to Gazza).
Hahaaaaa :LOL:

Really good and different take of a much photographed subject and I like the vapour trail echoing the line of the wall, leading to the sunrise. It is certainly a significant part of British culture so bang on theme I think.
Thanks Chris :)

To be honest mate, no grad in PP just ND which was hard to stop the sun blowing, I had it just below the castle iirc so not sure how to do it :thinking: advice welcome :)

Yeah, I meant ND, as you asked, the grad seems to come much further down than the base of the castle. Might have been an idea, if you'd have remembered, to take a few and edit in post. Anyway, wish we were there again :)

Cheers.

Another gorgeous landscape Dean - the composition does seem very fresh and I think you're right about all those elements coming together to make something special.
Thank you Em... feels good to be right for a change :D

Love that in-yer-face wall .... what all good landscapes are made of. (y)
Cheers David :)

Yeah, I meant ND, as you asked, the grad seems to come much further down than the base of the castle. Might have been an idea, if you'd have remembered, to take a few and edit in post. Anyway, wish we were there again :)

Cheers.
I wish I had remembered :LOL:

Back to the grindstone very quickly too I'm afraid :crying: :bang: :sulk:

Hi Dean lovely image for Culture love the leading line of the wall pulling you towards the warmth of the sun. I really like the silhouette of the of the castle.

Hi Dean lovely image for Culture love the leading line of the wall pulling you towards the warmth of the sun. I really like the silhouette of the of the castle.
Cool - thanks Mark :)

Super choice DK ...I love the colours of the sunrise on the right, and that chunky wall works really well, lots of lovely textures work together to make it a very eye catching photo.
Glad you like it, thank you Susie :)

Not really what I was after, but rather than get behind... here is mine.

I'm not keen on the Crop I did the full pencils (Second Image) but the low DoF puts me off too much.

Wk 49 - Arranged in a line

Hopefully I get chance to do another later in the week, but highly unlikely :D

Image 2...

Wk 49 - Arranged by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi DK I could only view the first one on Flickr, the second sent me to a security breach :eek: anyway I'll look at that in a min, it's to do with my account.
Back to your Arranged,...the first one looked so much better against the black background of Flickr, I really like it. I wonder if a midway crop would work better than the full pencils, just above the second set of lettering. Anyway, I think it's a great idea and perfect for the theme.

I like the idea, but I see what you mean with crop vs DoF. As it is I prefer #1, but I think #2 would work better if you had a deeper DoF.

I actually prefer #2. Wonder what it would be like with extreme DoF that fades the bottom of pencils into the bg.

Hi DK,

Torn between the two myself. I get what you mean about the DoF, but I quite like it really.
In the crop though, you really notice the different colours of the pencils.

Yep, same here.
Think the crop hae better definition and draws the eye better.

Hi DK I could only view the first one on Flickr, the second sent me to a security breach :eek: anyway I'll look at that in a min, it's to do with my account.
Back to your Arranged,...the first one looked so much better against the black background of Flickr, I really like it. I wonder if a midway crop would work better than the full pencils, just above the second set of lettering. Anyway, I think it's a great idea and perfect for the theme.
That's a good point, I may have a few hours spare over the coming weeks so will give this a re-visit :)

I like the idea, but I see what you mean with crop vs DoF. As it is I prefer #1, but I think #2 would work better if you had a deeper DoF.
Thanks Brrnd, that too sounds lie a re-visit :)

I actually prefer #2. Wonder what it would be like with extreme DoF that fades the bottom of pencils into the bg.
Now that is something I tried to a fashion, but did the tips out of focus instead, now that wasn't too bad, again your idea has legs I feel :)

Hi DK,

Torn between the two myself. I get what you mean about the DoF, but I quite like it really.
In the crop though, you really notice the different colours of the pencils.
Cheers Mark - I agree that sure does concentrate your attention on the colours for me too :)

Yep, same here.
Think the crop hae better definition and draws the eye better.
Thanks too Mark :)

Hi DK, I like the first too. Are the pencils on a mirror? Nice colours too.
Ahhh thanks Clive, yes you are correct, on a mirror with white card leaned over the top slightly to give a clear reflection :)

works well (y) ... so to choose between the two ... I'm going for #1 .... more simplistic/abstract, no writing.
Thanks David, looks like I made the right initial choice then :)

Number one for me too, simple and to the point
Hahaaaa thank you Allan, to the point :D

For me I like both and can't really decide which I prefer. Theme wise very fitting and there are so many possibilities of arranging the pencils.
Agreed Stan so many possibilities, so I went with dead straight, damn things kept rolling when I tried to spin the adjacent one :bang:

#2 for me. Never an easy one to photograph because symmetry has to be 100%. You're at 99.9% :p
Hahaaaa cheers Andy :)

and...there's a spot of something on the 11th from the left pencil :)

Cheers.
Tell you what mate... the amount of spot cloning required on it was unreal, dust and bits all over the shop :D

Poor effort? I'd be well chuffed with those :p
haaa thank you :)
The shallow dof doesn't bother me at all, but the crop does work better for me too - maybe as David says it's due to lack of distraction with the writing. The reflective surface works really well to add interest.
Cool, thanks again Em, appreciate the feedback :)

And here is my one for last week

I spotted this when out with Mrs DK yesterday, a simple image really and one that I have made sure is simple yet pleasing to the eye, with a bit of symmetry and some nice features that I like Eg. the crates.

PP wise I just concentrated on the crop, a bit of cloning here and there to tidy it up, and highlighting of key features like the statues, crates and the door in the archway, hope you like it :)

Wk 50 - Male & Female

Is this your porch :ROFLMAO:, fascinating statues they look like the should be little porcelain figures, well spotted

Is this your porch :ROFLMAO:, fascinating statues they look like the should be little porcelain figures, well spotted
Hahaaa it's not quite to that stature :LOL:

The male could almost be female!
Now... funny you should say that, I did ask Mrs DK that too before I took the shots :D
Nice bit of symmetry, even down to the way the doors have been hung opposing each other.
Exactly, it's very symmetrical but only in subtle ways, which I like :)

Back