weekly George's 52 for 2017 Week 52(and Done)

Broken shows the joys of trying to get decent angles at any form of car show, so I feel your pain on that one. Its not actually Broken tho, just sitting on air ride.

Transport - car is a BAC Mono and they like Lotus and a few others occasionaly lend Police forces cars for promotional work like this.

to add - not trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs here btw.

Broken shows the joys of trying to get decent angles at any form of car show, so I feel your pain on that one. Its not actually Broken tho, just sitting on air ride.

Transport - car is a BAC Mono and they like Lotus and a few others occasionaly lend Police forces cars for promotional work like this.

to add - not trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs here btw.

:D I did know all that but you've just spoilt it all now :p Everyone else would have thought it was broken and that all out police cars are like that. Although the state of most of our roads I think the mono would have fallen apart if you went at any speed.

Thanks Dave

Be my guest Dave. I tried masking and blending in some sky, never tried before and wasn't very good. Need more practice I guess but decided I'd spent enough time messing this time :)

As I am still learning with Elements give me a few days to try something out, got to say though it is hard, but I managed to get rid of the red car at the back.

Some nice shots there Missycat. Trying to get 'clean' shots of cars and the like, even at shows can be a right royal pita when there are too many people about and too much 'junk' in the background.

I find all of your last three shots a bit too tightly cropped. I wonder if there are other ways to get rid of the busy background... But you do have some fancy police cars! :)

Hi Georgina,

Architecture - Great looking building, really nice colours, but could do with some work with the transform tool and vertical perspective to remove the perspective effect perhaps.
Although to do that you would need to not be quite so tightly cropped.

Broken - That's one serious rat rod. It's damn difficult getting a decent background at car shows, often the only answer is to not shoot the whole car, but to concentrate on details, but obviously that's not what you wanted.
I've changed the background for you as requested ;)

MissyG.jpg

Transport - I think the people in race suits in the background work in the context of this image (y)

Thanks Dean. There were so many people there is was difficult to get a shot without any people in :(
I bet, that is always the case unless you sit and wait Ages and ages for that split second... or cloner them in PS :D

Hello Missycat

I keep seeing the straightforward shot of a white building under a blue sky, and the more I see it the more I like it ... so unusual, something industrial? No an old chapel, very old too, nice find.

And I love the old Ford Pickup, thought it was Transport at first. There's something odd, it's touching the ground ... so does look Broken.

Some nice shots there Missycat. Trying to get 'clean' shots of cars and the like, even at shows can be a right royal pita when there are too many people about and too much 'junk' in the background.

Thanks Chris

I find all of your last three shots a bit too tightly cropped. I wonder if there are other ways to get rid of the busy background... But you do have some fancy police cars! :)

Thanks Bernd, I agree they are all closely cropped but not sure what else could be done, just not in great locations:( The police car is not actually a real one unfortunately, its just here as a promotional thing for the TT motorbike races which are on at the moment :)

Hi Georgina,

Architecture - Great looking building, really nice colours, but could do with some work with the transform tool and vertical perspective to remove the perspective effect perhaps.
Although to do that you would need to not be quite so tightly cropped.

Broken - That's one serious rat rod. It's damn difficult getting a decent background at car shows, often the only answer is to not shoot the whole car, but to concentrate on details, but obviously that's not what you wanted.
I've changed the background for you as requested ;)

View attachment 103195

Transport - I think the people in race suits in the background work in the context of this image (y)

Thanks Tim, What do you mean vertical perspective! It's a very old building the walls lean like that (hee hee):D I did want the whole thing in this case for broken, I did take other pictures of small bits but they weren't right for the theme. Thanks for the pic not sure about the rainbow backdrop but its a better job than I managed :) Thanks for the link too, I will have a look at that when I get a bit of time (y)

Last edited:
Hello Missycat

I keep seeing the straightforward shot of a white building under a blue sky, and the more I see it the more I like it ... so unusual, something industrial? No an old chapel, very old too, nice find.

And I love the old Ford Pickup, thought it was Transport at first. There's something odd, it's touching the ground ... so does look Broken.

Thanks David, It was my first thought when I saw it but its actually got an air system that lifts it up when its being driven, so not broken at all really:)

Thanks Tim, What do you mean vertical perspective! It's a very old building the walls lean like that (hee hee):D I did want the whole thing in this case for broken, I did take other pictures of small bits but they weren't right for the theme. Thanks for the pic not sure about the rainbow backdrop but its a better job than I managed :) Thanks for the link too, I will have a look at that when I get a bit of time (y)
Vertical Perspective - The front gable seems to fall away from you, the vertical perspective tool in Filter - Distort - Lens Correction (at least in my versin of PS) lets you swivel the perspective around a mid point to correct that, but of course you lose parts of the image as the more you correct, the more of a trapezoid the picture becomes, hence you need to start from a wide shot.

Broken - The background is the cover of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, it was only something silly and simple to stick befind the RR, it could be changed to anything as it's just a layer showing behind the mask covering the original image's background. I could send you the .psd if you like, it's only 5mb.

The white of the chapel against the blue of the sky looks amazing Georgina - like something from Greece or Morocco.

Thanks Emma, if only it was :( I live in a beautiful place but definitely doesn't have their temperatures :)

Looks pretty good to me. Nice and sharp, subtle pinks in the flower and great black background.

Smashed the ball out of the park !!!

Fabulous shot Georgina, love love love it.

Initially, I thought it was a touch dark about 7/8 o'clock on the image, bur checked on Flickr and its perfect.
I love flower shots and this has so much oopmh and detail its a clear winner for me.

Minimalist - Flippin gorgeous! About the only thing I can think of to possibly enhance it would be more black on the rhs. Love it.

Minimalist is a great photo, great sharpness, great colours and well placed in the deep black background (y)

That flower's a beaut ... great colour & detail, contrasting BG. (y)

Looks pretty good to me. Nice and sharp, subtle pinks in the flower and great black background.

That's a beautiful shot Georgina, so much lovely detail captured in the flower. I would have been tempted to enlarge your black surround to really throw it back into the picture for the theme.

Smashed the ball out of the park !!!

Fabulous shot Georgina, love love love it.

Initially, I thought it was a touch dark about 7/8 o'clock on the image, bur checked on Flickr and its perfect.
I love flower shots and this has so much oopmh and detail its a clear winner for me.

What a cracking shot for minimalastic, great bg to set off the great focus on the flower :)

Minimalist - Flippin gorgeous! About the only thing I can think of to possibly enhance it would be more black on the rhs. Love it.

Minimalist is a great photo, great sharpness, great colours and well placed in the deep black background (y)

That flower's a beaut ... great colour & detail, contrasting BG. (y)

That's a wonderful shot Georgina - the pinks are so subtle, but you've retained all the detail and the black bg is spot on. Love it! :clap:

Wow, thank you so much everyone. Huge apologies for the late response. The BG is an old TV and I just popped the plant in front:D Bizarrely these flowers only lasted 2 days and then they withered and died, so glad it happened at the weekend and I got off my bum to take the picture:D

Week 23 - Progress - I was really hoping to get a picture of one of the little frogs that came from the tadpoles but they all seemed to disappeared :( So here is a bit of a not very good shoehorn. My friend and I made very good progress on our sponsored walk. We made it to our stopping point with 15 minutes to spare before the cut off. 1412 people started the event, we were 826th out of the 839 that made it to peel. The leader made it there in a staggering 5 hours and 38 minutes! He finished the whole 85 miles in 15 hours and 46 minutes:jawdrop: This means he walked every mile in about 11 minutes:jawdrop:

Progress by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Week 25 - Tiny - Oxalis Triangularis ( I had to look this up :D) I call it the butterfly plant as the purple leave open and close like a butterflies wings :D They can grow quite big but this flower is quite tiny at only 1cm across :)

Tiny by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

OH yes I remember seeing a photo of the two young ladies making good progress on their walk, so well done to finish it.
Pleasure for Smudge, sleeping in the hot sun got to say with him being white it can be hard to not blow the whites.
Tiny, good shot showing how tiny the flower can be, or the little tiny hairs on the leaf (y)

OH yes I remember seeing a photo of the two young ladies making good progress on their walk, so well done to finish it.
Pleasure for Smudge, sleeping in the hot sun got to say with him being white it can be hard to not blow the whites.
Tiny, good shot showing how tiny the flower can be, or the little tiny hairs on the leaf (y)

Thanks Dave, not really so young lol. We had done 19 miles at that point and had another 13 and a bit to do! It was very tough in the heat, typical it was the hottest day of the year so far :( got up to 27 in the afternoon!

Progress - glad you made it to the end and the photo makes a nice summary of the event.
Lovely shot of your cat, looks very content
The white flower amongst the purple petals is very good for the theme, I'd be tempted to crop the brown bit off the bottom

Progress - glad you made it to the end and the photo makes a nice summary of the event.
Lovely shot of your cat, looks very content
The white flower amongst the purple petals is very good for the theme, I'd be tempted to crop the brown bit off the bottom

Thanks Chris. I wasn't sure about the brown bit either, it was the edge of the plant pot. I ummed and arrd and decided to leave it in :D

Back