George's 52 for 2019 - Week 20 - Snappers Choice

Very good shots for waiting and rough. Both very well composed.

In the waiting shot, maybe just the one man and the horses, without the other chap. And also the wide angle really emphasises the size of the horses.
In rough, I'd vote for the colour version.

Thanks very much Bob. It would have been nice if the second chap wasn't there but unfortunately they are there to do the ploughing and not just for us to photograph:D. I did wait a little while but didn't want to miss the leaning man and the other one wasn't moving from that spot anytime soon :)

Waiting - lovely image, really captures the theme.

Rough - for me it has to be the B&W version (I may have even made it a bit darker and added some grain, but that's just my preference).

2 lovely images.

The black and white version of the rough image is fantastic. Everything about it is great- The old man, his tractor and also the rough lines through the ploughed ground. Nice!

Lovely images Georgina!(y)

Waiting: This is a terrific image! The detail is incredible and such a good composition....you've captured the majestic quality of those magnificent creatures perfectly....and their patience too....perfect for the theme!
Great cloning skills too, I would never have known there were any distractions in the image, nicely done.
Rough: Another great image....either format works for me, they each have some very nice qualities.
The mono has some really nice contrasts and tones, and the colour one has that fella in the hiviz....he really draws the eye into the image!!
The ploughed lines work really well as leading lines.
Love that old 'fergy' too....classic tractor!

Waiting and Rough are both great images! I wouldn't have noticed the car removal so good job! I like how oldy worldy the mono rough image is.

Two very good images there. great idea to use one event to get a couple of themed shots. I'd go with the colour version of rough, for me the detail shines through better.
Love the horses they are beautiful.

Waiting
Lovely photo, great majestic horses. There's some good tones and light.

Rough
I think i prefer the black and white conversion.

Loving the horses. What amazing animals and superb detail. Perfect for theme.

As an image those, personally, I love the black and white ploughed feild. It's got some much to this image and the mono conversion makes it very old looking

Nice Dobbins - I too would have removed the extra chap.

Both rough shots work for me.

Strange to see two themes shot on the same day at the same event!

Hi Georgina,

Waiting - I love how you got the shot similar to Andrea's but purposed it for the earlier theme :)
The fact that the ropes / chains are limp and the way the chap is standing really does show they are waiting around for their next 'job'.

Rough - Good to get the technique covered off with a week to spare :) Ia it slightly darker than the colour version?
Such a shame that one of the chaps is in hi-vis, else the machinery, the mono & general feel would have placed it 50 or more years ago.

Wow, thanks very much everyone, sorry I've not been on to reply earlier, been a tad busy. Been sorting out and arranging for a Royal visit from Mum for her birthday! I hope to be able to get some commenting done next week too.

Week 9 - Wet - Frogs getting jiggy in the pond :D Not a great pic as its quite a dark area and when I try and get closer they all disappear under the water :(

Wet.jpg

Awwww nice likkle froggies! Nice shot - agree about that corner.

I like your like on the theme, Georgina, very different. I like the 'letterbox' crop ratio and the focus on the eyes. Just the bottom right corner 'object' is a bit of a distraction.

Thanks Stan :D I was hoping they would go more into the middle but there is a little pile of stones under the water in that corner and they seem to like laying the spawn in that area. I didn't like the plastic edge of the pond either. the creamy object is a stone. We had some log edging around the pond which made it more attractive but this has fallen apart over the winter.:( Need to do some repairs and replacement when the weather improves :D

Awwww nice likkle froggies! Nice shot - agree about that corner.

Thanks Dave :D See my reply to Stan :) Think they have been very busy in the rain today, hopefully there will be lots of spawn when I check in the morning:D

Frogs ... what a lovely image, really made me chuckle.

Hi Georgina, that looks a super yummy cake, a delicious choice for the theme, nice composition with the birthday cards in the background.
Those frogs look so cute, I think it would take a crop to really show them off peeping out of the water, they can be elusive can’t they, we have loads of frogspawn but no sign of the frogs!

Great shots Georgina!
Object: The cake looks terrific, love the colours and the tall crop works well....yummy!
Wet: perfect for the theme, and well taken....as you say it's a teeny bit dark, but you did well to get them all in the frame.
Nailed the focus on the big one's eye....nicely done!(y)

It took me a while to spot them all! Good job getting the eyes of the main one in focus, fits the theme well (y)

Object: That cakes looks scrumptious. Plenty of detail and some fresh fruit to make it more healthy. Hope it was as delicious as it looks.

Wet: Great image for the theme. Agree with others about the bottom right corner being a little distracting. Good focus on the one eye. Nice quirky image for the theme.

Object - Wow! Thats a hell of a cake. I've just put on a load of weight just looking at it :D Nice bright and colourful shot.

Wet - Good shot with good detail too considering it looks like quite a dark area.

Georgina, both great ideas for the themes. The frogs are great, you have managed to get the eye spot on. I’m sure when the tadpoles are here you will find a use for a theme

Focus on the wet eyes is good. As others have said the crop works well too. Well done

Beautiful cake there for 'object. So much has gone into making that

The 'wet' image is pretty cool - looks like the frog on the left is a tad shy

Frogs ... what a lovely image, really made me chuckle.

Thanks Jim :D

Hi Georgina, that looks a super yummy cake, a delicious choice for the theme, nice composition with the birthday cards in the background.
Those frogs look so cute, I think it would take a crop to really show them off peeping out of the water, they can be elusive can’t they, we have loads of frogspawn but no sign of the frogs!

Thanks Susie, the cake was very delicious :D It was quite a big crop as it was and I wasn't sure it would take much more. Hopefully they will be a bit braver or more distracted over the next few days and I will be able to get a bit closer. We now have a huge pile of frogspawn, so will be inundated with baby frogs come summer. :D We don't really see the adults that often. In fact last year the spawn all died and I don't think we saw the adults again until this week but they must have been about :confused:

Great shots Georgina!
Object: The cake looks terrific, love the colours and the tall crop works well....yummy!
Wet: perfect for the theme, and well taken....as you say it's a teeny bit dark, but you did well to get them all in the frame.
Nailed the focus on the big one's eye....nicely done!(y)

Thanks Gareth. The cake was very delicious :D The focus on the eye was what I was going for, so glad it worked out :D

It took me a while to spot them all! Good job getting the eyes of the main one in focus, fits the theme well (y)

Thanks Dom. They did blend in well lol

Object: That cakes looks scrumptious. Plenty of detail and some fresh fruit to make it more healthy. Hope it was as delicious as it looks.

Wet: Great image for the theme. Agree with others about the bottom right corner being a little distracting. Good focus on the one eye. Nice quirky image for the theme.

Thanks Mandy. The cake was delicious but I'm not sure the bit of fresh fruit really made it healthy :LOL: I was too excited about having an image for the theme so soon, maybe I should have held on till I could get a bit closer :D

Object - Wow! Thats a hell of a cake. I've just put on a load of weight just looking at it :D Nice bright and colourful shot.

Wet - Good shot with good detail too considering it looks like quite a dark area.

Thanks Lee. Just to be clear I didn't make the cake, though I did enjoy eating it :p With wet I was fairly happy with it in the end but it is in a dark shaded area of the garden under some shrubbery too :D

Georgina, both great ideas for the themes. The frogs are great, you have managed to get the eye spot on. I’m sure when the tadpoles are here you will find a use for a theme

Thanks Chris. Here's hoping some themes come out to suit :LOL:

Focus on the wet eyes is good. As others have said the crop works well too. Well done

Thanks Chenti :D

Beautiful cake there for 'object. So much has gone into making that

The 'wet' image is pretty cool - looks like the frog on the left is a tad shy

Thanks Ian. It was lovely. Very talented lady that made it, not me I just pointed my camera and took a picture :D All the frogs a pretty shy, which is why I couldn't get any nearer. Two steps into the garden and they disappeared under the water :rolleyes::D

Hi Georgina,

Object - The cake looks yummy, well taken capturing the bright colours and sheen of the skin of the fruit.

Wet - The one on camera left certainly does appear to have a beady eye on you. With a black pool like that, you were never going to get a light shot, I think what you have there looks right.

Nice wet frogs. Perfect for the theme, and yes, difficult to get close up, so well done!!
Hi Georgina,

Object - The cake looks yummy, well taken capturing the bright colours and sheen of the skin of the fruit.

Wet - The one on camera left certainly does appear to have a beady eye on you. With a black pool like that, you were never going to get a light shot, I think what you have there looks right.

Thank you both and apologies for not replying sooner. Really don't know where the weeks go :rolleyes::)

Week 11 - Entrance - This is the entrance to Castle Rushen in Castletown. Not very inspiring but I wasn't feeling inspired and it was a miserable day :)

Entrance by Georgina Shaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back