weekly Gritty 52 Challenge For 2021

I like the image and the details have captured, great explanation too.

Pink Grapefruit, the best type :)
The backlighting has worked really well,you must be very happen with your crafting :)
Thanks for the construction info on the light box. Any chance of a shot of the box, to help visualise it?

It's great that you can find things around the home to help with photography so well done on the making and saying how you did it. Very nicely taken image for fruit.

Thanks Dave, there is so much inspiration around us at home! I’ve come to realise I just needed to open my eyes.

I like the image and the details have captured, great explanation too.

Thanks minx, glad you like the image.

Pink Grapefruit, the best type :)
The backlighting has worked really well,you must be very happen with your crafting :)
Thanks for the construction info on the light box. Any chance of a shot of the box, to help visualise it?

Pink grapefruit in Gin everytime

Of course, it really is a crude attempt but it works and yes I am happy with the box and the results it produced. I have been thinking about whether I should have lined the box to reflect more light, watch this space V2 might make an appearance :)

IMG_3612.JPGIMG_3614.JPG

Ah, I get it now :) Ponders looking to see what might be available here...

Look forward to seeing what you come up with

I love your grapefruit image. I really like the composition you have chosen. It all works really well.

I too have thought about a light box - one has sat in my Amazon wishlist for about a year now :) Well done for creating your own.

I have saved a box to one day make a strip softbox because it's the right shape. Whether or not I'll ever get round to it.... my family despair of me saving boxes because I have an idea and now you have given me another one :)

Wow Heather, you really have been busy - thinking inside the box this time :LOL: . Works really well too.

Week 2
Dirty (Dancing)

Two worlds collide that of Star Wars in the shape of Sargeant Jyn Erso & Marvel Avengers, in the shape of the rather dashing and handsome Captain America, it's a whirlwind tryst rather like an out of this world Romeo & Juliet...

Guess what that home made lightbox is getting plenty of use and was used to uplight this picture too ;)

Dirty-9.jpg

This is just a bit of fun playing in Photoshop.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-18 at 9.37.49 PM.jpg

Last edited:
That is a cracker - especially with a home-made light box! Very nice - and lovely to see all the detail in the grapefruit.

Cheers Shugpug, really appreciate your feedback. Yep the home made lightbox has made appearance again this week .

I was looking forward to seeing what you would come up with this week and I love it .....great reflection on that moon shot too.

Cheers Susie, glad you like it... :ty: my god I am going to have to keep this up now :cool:

I wouldn't have recognised Cap, but once you mentioned it I can see him :)
Cool to use the lightbox again so soon.
I agree with your choice of shot, but must say the shadow on the second shot is very authentic.

Dirty
It's a good take on the theme. It all looks rather wonderful.

Dirty Dancing, a great take on the theme Heather.
Well taken & well presented (y)

Yeah good take ...

Really liking both of those. I've never seen a starwars film, so not familiar with what's going on here. OK I get the dirty bit.;)

Full marks for effort and presentation - you have indeed sweet a high bar this year Heather!

How did you achieve the blur - it's very effective.

Very clever I like the first shot, great effect and clever twist on the theme

Week 3
Rock (ers)

Soooo continuing with the theme.. let me introduce you to Gritty's Rock(ers)

They are rather loud and sometimes rude little crew. Please rest assured they have all been housed together for the last few weeks so they could perform for you and also conducted a Lateral Flow Test too.

Gritty's Rockers..jpg

The Test.jpg Storm 1, obtaining his clear negative test.

Now for the serious stuff, as those of you who got to know me from last year will know.. I had never used an editing package...
I think you can guess what my new years resolution was :) so this week I have pushed my boundaries in so many ways, I am not 100% happy with this and being incredibly critical of my own work can see my errors, but as always I am more than happy for any feedback and constructive criticism because without it I won't get any better.
Thank you in advance.

Great fun - thank you for doing that, it made me laugh.

Regarding the first image, you need to work on some shadows under your figures. I only say that as you specifically asked for constructive criticism. Personally, I don't give a stuff about shadows if it makes me laugh.

Well you got me chuckling, which, considering the week I'm having, is a miracle!

I wouldn't tackle composite work like this, so hats off to you for having a go. I think the biggest issue is that your background image is slightly oof whilst the stormies are all sharp which kinda sets them apart. But I really don't think it matters that much because it's a fun image that hits the theme. 10/10 from me :)

You've really got the "editing bug" haven't you Heather? :D

Very nicely presented (y)

What fun! ... love the broken Flying V

I wouldn't change it, it's fab as it is, 100%

Rock - a really fun image well done for challenging yourself and jumping right in at the deep end, I am not huge on editing so can offer no advice but I do like what you have done

Week 4
Tall

Sgt Storm was today tasked to measure the recruits, apparently some of them aren't as TALL as they should be......

Tall..jpg

Great fun - thank you for doing that, it made me laugh.

Regarding the first image, you need to work on some shadows under your figures. I only say that as you specifically asked for constructive criticism. Personally, I don't give a stuff about shadows if it makes me laugh.

Thanks Boots, I'm chuffed it made you laugh, the whole point of this image was for it to be fun and hopefully put a smile on peoples faces.
I worked on the rockers image for way to long and got to the point I stopped seeing anything. Thanks for for your feedback.

Well you got me chuckling, which, considering the week I'm having, is a miracle!

I wouldn't tackle composite work like this, so hats off to you for having a go. I think the biggest issue is that your background image is slightly oof whilst the stormies are all sharp which kinda sets them apart. But I really don't think it matters that much because it's a fun image that hits the theme. 10/10 from me :)

Hi Harlequin,
sorry you had a bad week last week, hopefully it did get better.

I was well out of my comfort zone and put so much time and effort into the Rockers and learnt so much too. Version 1 had a much darker stage background but just didn't work, this one only had 2 tiers originally which I had to increase to get all the bad boys on. I also stupidly photographed all the poses individually and just used natural light which obviously changed as the day went on which then gave all the photo's a different colour cast.. note to self and another lesson learnt use lighting in future.
Glad you enjoyed the image, I just want to try and put a smile on peoples faces.

Well done to you for obviously working hard on another super fun shot for the theme :)
Cheers susiejb,
I just wanted to learn some more editing techniques and push myself, glad you like it.

Back