weekly Gritty 52 Challenge For 2021

You've really got the "editing bug" haven't you Heather? :D

Very nicely presented (y)

Maybe he's just a squall trooper?
:D

Hey Cobra,
Not quite so much editing this week, my other half just shouted down to me "How the hell did you manage to shoot and edit in one day" probably because I knew I didn't have as much time as I did last week.

Yeah I defo think this squall trooper hasn't been eating his greens..

What fun! ... love the broken Flying V

I wouldn't change it, it's fab as it is, 100%

Hey d00d, glad you notice the broken Flying V, that stormy has been reprimanded and placed on guard duty this week. Glad you enjoyed the Rockers

That certainly puts a smile on my face. Great stuff!

Hey Helen,
I am pleased that I have managed to put a smile on yours and so many peoples faces, that was my intention and made all the hours I spent on it worth every minute.

Rock
A nice fun image.

Cheers Dom, that was the intention inject some fun into my life and post an image that people enjoyed.

Rock - a really fun image well done for challenging yourself and jumping right in at the deep end, I am not huge on editing so can offer no advice but I do like what you have done

Thanks Minx, I knew nothing about editing until last year and am now taking it that step further. These lockdowns have been good for me in that way as it has meant I cant get out and concentrate on my wildlife and landscape photography so I have focussed on learning more about editing.

Full marks on the rapid learning of your editing package! That's a really good composite and well beyond my skill!

Cheers Shugpug, it has been a very steep learning curve, I have a friend who is a whizz on Lr & PS she has been a huge help, she spent a day helping me edit the Rockers via Zoom and then she told me delete it and do it from scratch, yes she is still a friend ;). It was good for me and I learnt so much and now have a notebook full of tips and shortcuts.
I never had any interest in editing, I used to sit in a field for hours waiting to get a shot just right in camera. Now its all about having fun and seeing what I can do with what I can find on the web and how I can manipulate it to make it work for me.

More troopers, it does make me chuckle :)
The B&W processing against the wood works really well. I don't think that a wood coloured background would have been as appropriate as it looks in B&W, so (y) for deciding to go mono.

Tall - one ruler to lead everyone! I'm presuming creating a very long (vertically) image was a conscious decision, it's so tall I can't see the full image on my iPad!

There's something funny about the tallest being armed with a pencil.

Another one that really made me smile. Well shot and edited... keep it up!

Heather I am absolutely loving these! You will have to produce a book of them at the end. I’m behind on comments, so...

Rockers: brilliant idea and so clever - just love it! I agree on the shadows, but would not have thought of that myself.

Tall: another great idea. I also love the scary pencil.

Keep them coming!

Isn't he a little short to be a stormtrooper?

Nice fun and composed photo.
Hi David,
I will let you tell the short fella he is a little short to be a stormtrooper, this one has one hell of a temper and it took me ages to get him to stand still he has little trooper syndrome :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
This year is about fun and hopefully bring a smile to more peoples faces.

More troopers, it does make me chuckle :)
The B&W processing against the wood works really well. I don't think that a wood coloured background would have been as appropriate as it looks in B&W, so (y) for deciding to go mono.

Tim,
I am going to have to get Therapy.. at the age of... hang on a wee minute a lady never discloses her age, but then I'm not a lady, more of a laydeee aged 47 and 6 months I have to admit I have found a new addiction. My other half despairs every time I get post.. my trooper collection is growing rapidly as are my other little characters, figurines and accessories. I am working my way back through all the films for continuity and poses too :ROFLMAO:
Lockdown has made me stay at home and I am totally addicted into producing fun photo's and editing different scenes with my Hasbro & Lego friends so yes you are definitely going to see more Troopers.

I spent ages indoors looking for somewhere that didn't have high skirting boards as it would have knocked the perspective out, then I came across this area in our lounge ironically whilst hoovering :rolleyes: It is a natural piece of wood that previously was stained and was sanded and is now left as per the picture, I was using a pinkish coloured ruler which just didn't look right.. and when I tried a composition against the end panel in the kitchen I decided it was the colour of the ruler that was throwing it all out.
When I popped it into Lr I decided to see how it looked in B&W, no brainer.

Reactions: LC2
Tall - one ruler to lead everyone! I'm presuming creating a very long (vertically) image was a conscious decision, it's so tall I can't see the full image on my iPad!

Hi Stuart,
And one ruler to keep everyone in line :ROFLMAO: the theme was Tall so yea of course it was a tall image that purposely didn't fit on your iPad by accident. :thinking::thinking::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There's something funny about the tallest being armed with a pencil.

It's cos the lil trooper wouldn't let him have a pen... the lil trooper wears the trousers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: he might be the smallest but he is da boss

Another one that really made me smile. Well shot and edited... keep it up!

Thanks Helen,
Yep I am going to keep them coming don't you worry, I am having so much fun with these guys and they seem to be putting a smile on a lot of peoples faces which works for me.

Heather I am absolutely loving these! You will have to produce a book of them at the end. I’m behind on comments, so...

Rockers: brilliant idea and so clever - just love it! I agree on the shadows, but would not have thought of that myself.

Tall: another great idea. I also love the scary pencil.

Keep them coming!

Thank you so much, hope all is well on the Island.
Working with these little guys is teaching me so much about light, composition, editing and I am well and truly out of my comfort zone. I prefer the great outdoors and would think nothing of walking for a day and sitting on a hillside just to get a landscape or wildlife shot. The Rockers took me ages to get to the end product and I had a lot of help from a friend via zoom who helped me get an image I was happy with and then made me delete it and do it again on my own o_Oo_O yes she is still a friend and no it wasn't cruel it was the best thing she could have done to me I will do things so very differently next time as I know where I went wrong and how not to do it again in future. Apart from my first submission 0/52 of 2021, I had never attempted anything like this before and didn't have a clue, I went to my friend with my vision and she helped me achieve it.

Ha Ha, the scary pencil has definitely caused a stir :)

Thank you so much, hope all is well on the Island.
Working with these little guys is teaching me so much about light, composition, editing and I am well and truly out of my comfort zone. I prefer the great outdoors and would think nothing of walking for a day and sitting on a hillside just to get a landscape or wildlife shot. The Rockers took me ages to get to the end product and I had a lot of help from a friend via zoom who helped me get an image I was happy with and then made me delete it and do it again on my own o_Oo_O yes she is still a friend and no it wasn't cruel it was the best thing she could have done to me I will do things so very differently next time as I know where I went wrong and how not to do it again in future. Apart from my first submission 0/52 of 2021, I had never attempted anything like this before and didn't have a clue, I went to my friend with my vision and she helped me achieve it.

Ha Ha, the scary pencil has definitely caused a stir :)
That made me chuckle... and she is still a friend? :ROFLMAO: It is true though, there is nothing like doing it yourself to make it 'stick'. I also find that if I don't do something for a while, I forget how to do it, so I now have a notebook that I jot things down in.

Anyway it sounds like your editing has come on in leaps and bounds, not to mention everything else. I love your creativity and look forward to more.

That made me chuckle... and she is still a friend? :ROFLMAO: It is true though, there is nothing like doing it yourself to make it 'stick'. I also find that if I don't do something for a while, I forget how to do it, so I now have a notebook that I jot things down in.

Anyway it sounds like your editing has come on in leaps and bounds, not to mention everything else. I love your creativity and look forward to more.

I can confirm that I am a laydee of a certain age that requires a notepad and pen in pocket at all times, I am so friggin forgetful at times :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
on a serious note I do keep notes and ideas jotted in a particular photography journal I keep, it has all sorts of useful information that I have acquired and also things I want to achieve and places I want to photography.
Thank you for taking the time to comment and rest assured there is plenty more where these have come from, my creativity knows no bounds and I am hastily jotting them down when they pop into my head ;) and my friend is always at the end of a message if I need her. I owe her dinner and a nice bottle when we are allowed out, I think her husband has been pleased just being left to do what he wants whilst she helps me.

@Gritty I'm afraid I have had more birthdays than I'd like, though I'd also like many more :D and am rubbish at remembering anything.
That's a good idea to note down photographic goals like that. I wish I had more creative thoughts... mine have to evolve slowly, usually when pushed into a corner!

You put my collection to shame - just two of the Lego figures here. But the films and stories are amongst my favourites. If you have access to them, the Clone Wars cartoons are well worth a watch.

The photo's another cracker. The size disparities are great - definitely suits the theme!!

Week 5
Snappers Choice

Its a sad day for Gotham City, BATMAN is currently being held hostage by the Troopers on Planet Decking. He has surrendered to them for now, but knowing Batman I am sure he is cooking up a plan for his escape.
Will Robin come to save him?
Is Batgirl hot on the troopers tails?
Will Alfred Pennyworth notice Bruce isn't home for dinner?
Will Mayor Linseed & Commissioner James Gordon of the Gotham City Police realise the skies are empty and crime is on the rise?

Stay tuned folks for the next instalment to find out...

Snappers Choice.jpg

Last edited:
You put my collection to shame - just two of the Lego figures here. But the films and stories are amongst my favourites. If you have access to them, the Clone Wars cartoons are well worth a watch.

The photo's another cracker. The size disparities are great - definitely suits the theme!!

Cheers Shugpug,

Ha Ha I managed to grab a few more on ebay for between £3 - £5 each genuine hasbro black series so my collection has grown recently and the Lego character I bought on ebay too. I am getting way too much pleasure from these guys at the mo. I will check out the clone wars cartoons.

Tall
Another good trooper set up.
Cheers Dom, I might have just got the little Lego one the week before so it fitted in with the theme perfectly.

Good work Heather, I particularly like the mono conversion, good range of tones in there.

Nothing like mixing your metaphors comic strips Heather.
I'm pretty sure Disney would pay well for that story :D

Far more effort setting that up than I put into my DC Villains shot for 'pair', though my pair would be cheering at the thought of the capture of this do-gooder.
Works really well in B&W like that

Choice
These storm troopers are getting a bit unruly now. You're going to have to find a way to bring them under control ;)
The black and white works well and I like the dof, with the closest storm trooper oof.

Another cracker Heather. I'm loving the weekly story line. Lovely mono image too..

Snappers Choice
It's a great image, and a good example of depth of field, maybe slightly wider frame to stop the hand reaching the edge or cutting the foot off at the bottom edge

Week 6
Pair

Last week Nostromo suggested I try to control the Troopers as they were getting slightly unruly, so this week I gave them a task and enlisted them out into the garden to help me coerce our friendly little rat currently living under our summerhouse out and find other suitable accommodation.

So what did they decide would be the most appropriate thing to do.............they put a friggin crackling bomb under our summerhouse.

If anyone sees these two Troopers will you tell them to get their butts home as they now have some clearing up to do.

Pair-5.jpg

This is how we last saw them, heads in the hole under the summerhouse deciding what to do.......

Pair 2.jpg

Back