weekly HeartandSouls 52 Week Challenge Major catch up Weeks 16,18,19,20,21,22,23,24, added

• Thread starter Deleted member 59779
  • Start date
Great idea for Fragile. A little more space around to avoid clipping the petals and it would have been brill. Nice clean BG and the black suits it.

Thanks all for the comments and tips so far. Hopefully will have time at the weekend to edit bliss. I am rather cross with myself as I did spot the lower left corner and meant to sort it before posting but got side tracked.
Better go and do some commenting .

Hi Mandy, I like Bliss - I think you've captured that really well. Sure, it might be even stronger as a "product" shot with a wider DOF to capture all of the strawberries perfectly in focus - but you've identified that yourself. I think lighting is well handled and the black background is good bar that corner that's been mentioned. I really wouldn't worry about the lens choice: you're using the middle of the lens where even kits lenses should be perfectly sharp at middle apertures. To maximise DOF, it'd be easy just to set to f/8 a be done with it: so every lens you can buy nowadays should be plenty sharp enough in the middle of the frame at that aperture. Good self crit though on what is a very decent shot!

Fragile: in many ways I like the low key look as it fits the story well. I also love the shiny/pearlescent look you have on the petals which I think is strengthened by the reduced exposure. As a standalone image I think it probably would, however, be stronger with a stop or thereabout of additional exposure, but in the context of this theme it works well as it. Agree with other comments re: clipping edges, though.

A pair of good shots!

Hi Mandy ... Really like your Fragile shot. as Paul says the tulips have a lovely pearly look. What I do sometimes if the image is tight is I add on a thick frame but match the colour to the background that way it doesn't show but adds a bit of space.
I'm sure you will really enjoy the challenge .... Looking forward to following your thread :)

Fragile - works for the theme for me, my crit is it is a little bit to tight in the frame for me. Nice work on getting a nice black background, I struggle with black grounds.[/QUOTE]

i used al ight box with the black background and my flash. I find it is trial and error in getting the background to look right sometimes if the lighting isn't right i can see the detail in the black material. Mine was a present off my son a couple of years ago.

it appears my photos have disappeared. I presume that's because I've been editing and flickr have replaced them instead of adding edited copy as I wanted???? Any ideas. Was having trouble with this last weekend. i use Apple by the way in case anyone can help

it appears my photos have disappeared. I presume that's because I've been editing and flickr have replaced them instead of adding edited copy as I wanted???? Any ideas. Was having trouble with this last weekend. i use Apple by the way in case anyone can help
Hi Mandy, yes Flickr does that :(. I think the reason why is because when you edit a shot an the upload it again I think Flickr treats it as a new file and assigns it a new file reference so the link ID changes. The other thing that happens is any comments / likes etc vanish when you update the photograph.... Unless you use there paid service:rolleyes:

So you can just go into your post hit edit at the bottom and grab the new BB code and update your link.
Hope this helps
Steve

Week 4 Companions

Not my first choice of photo but when uploaded to computer the first choice was shameful. Deleted and may now use in the future. it was a marmite type shot. I have cropped and converted to mono other than that have made no further editing done.

url[=https://flic.kr/p/r18Btc]
16410404301_740c3c41b5_c.jpg
[/url]Week 4: Companions by HeartandSoul55, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 0 Pattern Edit 1

A little exposure added and a slight crop to take into account feedback given earlier in January.

untitled-56.jpg by HeartandSoul55, on Flickr

Nice edits on the ice Mandy :)

I can't remember what the strawberry one looked liked, It's a pity you removed the original
but I think it would look better with the bottom of the glass in view as well.

Companions, Salt and pepper, you can't argue with that (y)

WEEK 5: ELEGANT

Quick shot done this afternoon, whilst completing a bit of housework, obviously didn't quite finish when I zoomed in and looked at this image :p. Some PP work required for me to feel its worry of posting here. Not my best background image. A little bit of cloning required. Did not use flash today. maybe I should have done :thinking: Altered the shadows and blacks in PP. Cannot remember what else I might have done.

Week 5: Elegant by HeartandSoul55, on Flickr

Nice edits on the ice Mandy :)

I can't remember what the strawberry one looked liked, It's a pity you removed the original
but I think it would look better with the bottom of the glass in view as well.

Companions, Salt and pepper, you can't argue with that (y)

I only cropped the sides, never did have the whole glass in the shot. There was a nice white bit at the bottom left hand side. I didn't remove shot. It happened when I edited photo on flickr........ despite telling it not to replace photo. :thinking::thinking::thinking:.

Hi, I think the lightings good, introducing flash on such a shiny surface could have been a nightmare, would have liked to have seen a little more space around it, a landscape view with it placed to one side:thinking:

Yeah, BG, I'd prefer a plain colour and the pot at either more of an angle or square on. Nice detail and colours, though, and elegant indeed.

The link in the photographs only thread doesn't seem to be working.

Cheers.

Hi , nice teapot - it definitely fits the theme, but I agree that a bit more space around the teapot would have improved it - it feels to me like there's a bit too much empty space at the top and it makes the teapot look a bit cramped

:)

Hi Mandy

Patterns - Edit
A great photo with plenty of detail.

Bliss.
Another great photo, would have liked to of seen the full glass.

Companions
Now i am thinking i have a problem with my eyes... it looks to be leaning to the left ever so slightly.
Certainly on them and i like the B+W conversion

Elegeant
Nice lighting, and the tea pot certainly fits the theme.
I think if the tea pot was at a slight angle rather than square on it could have looked better.
This also looks to have a slight lean, but to the right

Last edited:
Elegant: Well lit and indeed, truly elegant. Lovely execution, I can see the picture in an auctioneers brochure. Well done.

Hi Mandy, looks good to me, as said above introducing the flash would have killed it on so many levels, and trying to control the reflections from the pot and the black shiny surfaces would have been difficult. As it happens looks pretty spot on I think, iI might have gone for a square crop.
Nice work!

Hi, I think the lightings good, introducing flash on such a shiny surface could have been a nightmare, would have liked to have seen a little more space around it, a landscape view with it placed to one side:thinking:
Oddly enough I cropped the image. Good idea bout doing landscape version with pot to one side. Will bear in mind for future reference

Hi Mandy

Patterns - Edit
A great photo with plenty of detail.

Bliss.
Another great photo, would have liked to of seen the full glass.

Companions
Now i am thinking i have a problem with my eyes... it looks to be leaning to the left ever so slightly.
Certainly on them and i like the B+W conversion

Elegeant
Nice lighting, and the tea pot certainly fits the theme.
I think if the tea pot was at a slight angle rather than square on it could have looked better.

This also looks to have a slight lean, but to the right
Thank you for your comments will take on board about the straightening. Doubt i will have time to edit this week though. I actually think it is what the items were resting on thats the problem. I am sure my con camera leveller was on green. Will look out next time.
A few have said about photographing the full glass. I originally started off with an image I'd googled and wanted to replicate as close as possible.

Companions - fits the theme but sadly the image doesn't excite me.

Elegant - lovely image, great lighting I do like this a great deal.
HI Mandy, know what you mean about companions , but definitely couldn't have posted my original choice. (Note to self, look for what may show in the picture i.e. blue tac tut tut). I am hoping I will be able to take a similar shot for a future theme.

Yeah, BG, I'd prefer a plain colour and the pot at either more of an angle or square on. Nice detail and colours, though, and elegant indeed.

The link in the photographs only thread doesn't seem to be working.

Cheers.
Thanks for the heads up. I will have to rectify later in the week.

That's certainly an elegant tea pot (y)
But I do agree, it does seem a little cramped in there.

Do you have a matching cup & saucer / sugar bowl / etc. by any chance?
that you could maybe add as well?
Just a thought.

Hi Mandy, definitely Elegant, just a little more space around and a more uniform background would make this good shot a great one (y)

WEEK 6 Watery

Water + Oil + Watery :)

Not tried this before, so had a go today. not as easy as it looks. Managed to get a couple of shots that I am reasonably happy with. not really happy with the white bubble at lower right hand side, but not sure what to do with it. Did not want to crop out due to taking other key areas out of photo if I did. No flash used. Next time likely to have a go with flash and use low iso. Will definitely have another go at this. Played with the sliders in LR 5 and like some of the effects I could get. Now need to remember what I did to this in pp (n) Think I used the saturation tool a little. i really like the colours that have come out of this. I was also rather fond of it when I cooled it right down.
What did I use a pyrex bowl filled with water (may use less next time as lots of little bubbles after it had been standing for a while) Also had to be careful not to get the pyrex logo showing at base of dish.Sheet of wrapping paper, bowl perched precariously on tins of beans (had a couple of accidents) but hey ho. A fair bit of altering height of tripod before I was happy with effect and results.

Week 6: Watery by HeartandSoul55, on Flickr

Outstanding for a first try!
I like the subtle colours very much.

Like the gradient as it runs across the frame top left to bottom right. The big droplet has a nice little highlight on the edge of it. I think if I were that worried about the white droplet Mandy, I would take if into Photoshop and drop a colour fill in it, use the eye dropper and pick either a turquoise or yellow.
Nice work well shot.

Hi, very good attempt for a first try the colours are excellent

Very nice for a first attempt Mandy. (y)
Nice and colourful, and as Steve said, that bubble is soon sorted in P/s (etc)

Love the abstract nature of this and for me the white bubble isn't a problem. I think it adds to the gradient from dark to light on the diagonal :clap::clap::clap:

Love the abstract nature of this and for me the white bubble isn't a problem. I think it adds to the gradient from dark to light on the diagonal :clap::clap::clap:
Thank you for the comment. i have to say. i have rather got used to the white bubble now. Was a little worried initially that it would look blown, the camera only took what was the colours on the wrapping paper. looking forward to seeing next weeks shot of yours..

Back