HelenC's 52 for 2021 - Week 52: Showcase - critique welcome

Just realised that it's Wednesday already.. who nicked my week?? So, popped into the garden - the light is really harsh but I managed to find a hidden daisy or two. A little torn over which I prefer for the main thread.

I like the dappled light and shade on this:

PW6A5874
by Helen Cannon

But this has the addition of a close up critter...

PW6A5865
by Helen Cannon

Up close with the critter one works for me Helen (y)

I really like the simplicity of the first shot, the cantre would have done for patterns too.

Really nice image for the theme, very simple, nicely colourful and fits the theme perfectly.

Up Close -I like both and would be unable to choose also. The bug adds interest, but it's a little further away, so perhaps not so good for the theme.

Patterns: Interestingly this wouldn't all fit on my screen in one go, and I rather like it with the top and bottom chopped off. It deals with the slightly hot highlight, but it does then lose it's creature like look. You've captured lots of great texture.

Hands up... bit of a shoehorn this week... I went to a lovely timbered church to take some infrared shots. The churchyard has been left uncut to allow the wildflowers to bloom. As I wandered around I came across this gravestone - a personal object in itself. However, the more I looked at it the more it appeared as a person with head and shoulders rising from the grass :D

PW6A5876
by Helen Cannon

Last edited:
Hah! One of the great things about these 52s is seeing how people interpret the themes. For me, the subject could do with being a bit lower in the frame but looking at the top edge, I'm guessing you deliberately excluded it?

A nice little shoehorn Helen, and yes I see the face too (y)

( it looks a bit like one of those damned teletubby's :D)
Edited to add, yep its tinky winky :LOL:

Last edited:
Hah! One of the great things about these 52s is seeing how people interpret the themes. For me, the subject could do with being a bit lower in the frame but looking at the top edge, I'm guessing you deliberately excluded it?

Thanks @Harlequin565 Yes, there was a shed in the background so I had to crop it out. I should have moved my posterior to a different angle #damnlazyphotographer :D

Up close
You picked the right one for the main thread. I like the dappled light.

Personal
I can see the head and shoulders. Nice textures and tones in the stonework.

Up close
Both good shots but prefer the second with the insect which also has pleasing lighting on the left side

Personal
Initially I was thinking about the stone figures from Doctor Who but it's definitely like the "teletubbies", it's an interesting image seeing what has been chosen as the memorial

Last edited:
Was trying to think what it reminded me of when Cobra mentioned teletubbies, yep, that's what it is.

Yes a stone teletubby ha ha! And a bit of a shoehorn. It will definitely be personal to somebody (some body??)

I do like the way graveyards are left to go a little wild these days. My local one is too and I think it's lovely to see the butterflies and bees in there.

The first non-wet and grey day all week so I planned to head off to some green barley fields until I discovered that the motor had sprung a coolant leak. Booked into the garage tomorrow so no transport. I took a wander down the road from my house... and it looked very green!

PW6A6009
by Helen Cannon

Green
I think you could have cropped a little off of the bottom, just into the shadow of the big tree. I really like the overhang of the trees, they lead you right through the photo.

After all that rain recently everything is looking nicely green down here too (y)

Green
I think you could have cropped a little off of the bottom, just into the shadow of the big tree. I really like the overhang of the trees, they lead you right through the photo.
Thanks Dominic.. I'll try your suggestion. I love the way the trees form a tunnel.

After all that rain recently everything is looking nicely green down here too (y)
Thanks for commenting and yes.. we really needed it here.

Very verdant! Our lane is also looking greener/bushier that it has for a few weeks, following all the recent rain. Nice peaceful image.

The weather in the last few days has been grey and cloudy so not great. However, I did manage to get out when the sun was shining to try some more infrared as I recently received some critique of shots submitted to an online show. I went back to try with more blue sky and sunshine involved... this is my current favourite local tree. It's still not ideal so will be re-shot... and shame about the thistle that I didn't notice when I took it..

DSCF1630
by Helen Cannon

Nice one - the IR working well ;)

I know its turned cold, but I didn't realise it had been snowing!
:D

Nice IR image as you say bit of a shame about the bottom right but it doesn’t spoil it to much

I reckon you could clone the thistle out by using the left hand side if you really wanted. Very nice capture. You have certainly caught an interesting sky.

It is a photogenic tree. I have a favourite hedge that I sit by for the birds - I tell my husband I'm off to my favourite hedge and he knows where I'm going :ROFLMAO:

Lovely shot. The thistle def needs to go and perhaps that sticky out bare branch at the top.

Nice one - the IR working well ;)

That's a really magical scene!

Nice IR image as you say bit of a shame about the bottom right but it doesn’t spoil it to much

I reckon you could clone the thistle out by using the left hand side if you really wanted. Very nice capture. You have certainly caught an interesting sky.
It is a photogenic tree. I have a favourite hedge that I sit by for the birds - I tell my husband I'm off to my favourite hedge and he knows where I'm going :ROFLMAO:

Lovely shot. The thistle def needs to go and perhaps that sticky out bare branch at the top.

That's a nice IR image. I've tried IR once before and nowhere near as good as yours.

Thanks for the comments folks. I'll be back to re-shoot it when conditions are good... so the thistle will naturally disappear ;)

I know its turned cold, but I didn't realise it had been snowing!
:D
@Cobra - given the weather we've had recently it probably wouldn't surprise me!

Challenge accepted... I never touch HDR so had to look up how it works on the Canon R5... easy peasy Set it to HDR "on" and it takes three bracketed shots and kindly merges them into a JPEG for you.
What best to shoot... somewhere inside with lots of light and shadow? Here's the angels looking down from the roof of Blythburgh Church... in natural HDR.

PW6A6046
by Helen Cannon

I like the symmetry in this and it certainly is an interesting subject. Some definite skill involved in carving those angels.

What best to shoot...
It's best to choose a subject that has a... high dynamic range... in other words something with dark shadows and bright highlights. A room interior that also captures the scene outside the window would be a good example. Or a landscape with a dark foreground and bright sky.

Nice image and suits the theme well, plenty to keep you interested.

Very nice Helen :)

Back