weekly It is what it is, Sirching for 52/2016 - 52 - Celebrate

Hi Chris. I had been thinking of something very similar for Captive so nothing wrong with the choice at all. As for the image itself, I think it's a good shot - he looks intent and the lighting on his face is excellent. May have tried a b&w conversion as that tends to dramatise and maybe have taken something away from the background. Excellent.

Hi Chris. I had been thinking of something very similar for Captive so nothing wrong with the choice at all. As for the image itself, I think it's a good shot - he looks intent and the lighting on his face is excellent. May have tried a b&w conversion as that tends to dramatise and maybe have taken something away from the background. Excellent.
Thanks Carl, appreciate it. Several people have suggested B&W and I'm probably just being difficult about it but (and I hesitate to say this given what other have done) it feels a bit clichéd given the theme and I think the blue-white on his face contrasts against the warmer tones around him. I agree it would add drama and perhaps draw the eye more to the subject but I do't think the photo is about drama in the "kidnapping" sense more about the seemingly banal things which captivate us. I guess I didn't convey a sense of that either but onwards and upwards. Thanks for taking the time.

I agree it would add drama and perhaps draw the eye more to the subject but I do't think the photo is about drama in the "kidnapping" sense more about the seemingly banal things which captivate us.
Hi Chris - Yes, I see what you mean about b&w changing the sense of captivity - certainly b&w adds drama and so gives it a more .... for want of a better word, sinister feel. Know exactly what you mean. The image is a good one in it's own right as it is so spot on.

I have no problem with this working with the theme, like a few others above, I had actually though about doing something along similar lines. So many of us (not just young people) get caught up with our electronic devices and this shows just how captivating they can be. The image is made by managing to catch the light of the screen on his face and I think it works well.

Metal - I really like the shiny verses rusty of the metal but agree the background would be better desaturated (not that I am good at that sort of thing either)

Last edited:
Captivated - I like the interpretation and the glow from the screen on his face

I have no problem with this working with the theme, like a few others above, I had actually though about doing something along similar lines. So many of us (not just young people) get caught up with our electronic devices and this shows just how captivating they can be. The image is made by managing to catch the light of the screen on his face and I think it works well.
Thanks Steve, much appreciated

Metal - I really like the shiny verses rusty of the metal but agree the background would be better desaturated (not that I am good at that sort of thing either)

Captivated - I like the interpretation and the glow from the screen on his face

Thanks minx

Second one for me. Really like the colours and sharpness. Think the way the the background blurs more the higher up the "tree" you go, draws your eye upwards. Having the trunk of the big tree slightly in shot emphasises the Miniature theme.

Last edited:
Hi Chris

Thanks for sharing "the one along the way" kinda abstract. I like it. (y)

FG Molehill miniature mountain ... I like it ... is it snowing?

Metal - Nice shot, agree with all the comments re the sharpness, so sharp! Agree that the bg is somewhat distracting - I'd have liked to see more of a DOF leading down the length of the metal, starting with that nice sharp cut and leading the eye down the length a little more. Good job with the focus though!

Captive - great take on the theme! WB is probably a little thrown off (looks a smidge yellow), but love the idea. Maybe darken the bg some more by turning the light off, so the only illumination is coming from the phone? Nice shot! (y)

Second one for me. Really like the colours and sharpness. Think the way the the background blurs more the higher up the "tree" you go, draws your eye upwards. Having the trunk of the big tree slightly in shot emphasises the Minature theme.

Thanks Debbie, glad you liked it.

Hi Chris

Thanks for sharing "the one along the way" kinda abstract. I like it. (y)

FG Molehill miniature mountain ... I like it ... is it snowing?

Thanks David, yes I was lead down in a field and it started snowing, the things we do to get a 52. Glad you liked the little tree, getting it to stand out from the background was a bit challenging.

Metal - Nice shot, agree with all the comments re the sharpness, so sharp! Agree that the bg is somewhat distracting - I'd have liked to see more of a DOF leading down the length of the metal, starting with that nice sharp cut and leading the eye down the length a little more. Good job with the focus though!

Captive - great take on the theme! WB is probably a little thrown off (looks a smidge yellow), but love the idea. Maybe darken the bg some more by turning the light off, so the only illumination is coming from the phone? Nice shot! (y)
Thanks for the comments Matt

I too like them both Chris and, like Steve, favour the mountains. Lot happening with the first so a more interesting image .. .colour, movement, points of interest. Wonderful take :clap:

Like them both for week 3 but prefer the mountains. Clever idea and good use of DOF, and you're pretty committed going out in the snow to get a shot!
Thanks Steve, is that a polite way of saying bonkers? It wasn't snowing when I set off and TBH I think the slight dusting on top of the anthill helps separate it from the background. We now have about 3" of snow so got it just in time.

I too like them both Chris and, like Steve, favour the mountains. Lot happening with the first so a more interesting image .. .colour, movement, points of interest. Wonderful take :clap:
Thanks Carl, I think I prefer mountains, the mini tree just felt like a good chance and a back-up in case I could find a suitable small hill.

Thanks Steve, is that a polite way of saying bonkers? It wasn't snowing when I set off and TBH I think the slight dusting on top of the anthill helps separate it from the background. We now have about 3" of snow so got it just in time

Well maybe.....:D

My kids would be jealous of the snow, only had a light dusting overnight here.

Mountain / mole hill for me Chris (y)

Hi Chris, we do some crazy things for this thread dont we ! Well done for braving the weather. I like them both, #1 is more appealing to the eye, but there something so resilient about that little tree, super dof in that one too.
Thanks Susie, I guess the little tree is fighting for light amongst it's much bigger brothers and I desaturated it a bit to make it stand out but it also gives it a cold, austere feeling.

Mountain / mole hill for me Chris (y)
Thanks Chris

I like the the mountain/molehill but prefer the miniature tree nice and sharp good colours

Old - Quite simply stunning lovely detail

Metal: personally prefer the original version again some lovely detail

Captive-ated: Great take on the theme

Miniature: Another great take on the theme love the 2nd image great DOF

Old - Quite simply stunning lovely detail

Metal: personally prefer the original version again some lovely detail

Captive-ated: Great take on the theme

Miniature: Another great take on the theme love the 2nd image great DOF

Thanks for looking Mark, I really appreciate it.

Hi Chris, for me Metal is the stand out image so far, excellent use of DOF to draw the attention and boy is that sharp!

Metal - See above, however I strongly prefer the original image, I don't mind the green as I find it balances the image well. I have to admit though I do have a strong personal dislike for selective colouring (I blame instagram :) ) (y)

Captive - for me the time works well however I think I would have lower the exposure and maybe used a bit of OCF place in his lap to accentuate the light from the screen even more, could possibly go even further by playing with the WB a bit

Miniature - clever interpretation, although it doesn't quite work for me. It just doesn't grab my interest, sorry. I can't really add anything constructive Im afraid as I struggle with landscape. Good use of DOF again though to draw the eye

Hi Chris, for me Metal is the stand out image so far, excellent use of DOF to draw the attention and boy is that sharp!

Metal - See above, however I strongly prefer the original image, I don't mind the green as I find it balances the image well. I have to admit though I do have a strong personal dislike for selective colouring (I blame instagram :) ) (y)

Captive - for me the time works well however I think I would have lower the exposure and maybe used a bit of OCF place in his lap to accentuate the light from the screen even more, could possibly go even further by playing with the WB a bit

Miniature - clever interpretation, although it doesn't quite work for me. It just doesn't grab my interest, sorry. I can't really add anything constructive Im afraid as I struggle with landscape. Good use of DOF again though to draw the eye

Thanks for taking the time Chris, it is really helpful to have such constructive crit. There will be more landscapes because I'm quite into them but hopefully not too "landscapey" if you get what I mean.

Both good shots in terms of DoF and clarity particularly. On topic? Sure, but it took me a while to get there! :)

She looks happy Chris. Like that colour and the softness of the image in keeping with the subject. :clap:

Back