Just suppose it was intentional, Sirch's 52 for 2017, 52, Weather

Felt a bit like shooting fish in a barrel this week for a change, but then I probably don't know what I am doing with minimalist. Anyway went out and shot about a hundred this afternoon and whittled it down to these...

52-2017-Minimalist (3) by TheWub, on Flickr

52-2017-Minimalist (2) by TheWub, on Flickr

52-2017-Minimalist (1) by TheWub, on Flickr

Sorry for failing to pick just one but as I said there were just too many to choose from

Really liking these, good set. The human element, canine element too making #3 a winner.

Really liking these, good set. The human element, canine element too making #3 a winner.
Thanks David, the mammals do add something I think.

First one for me, I like the slightly abstratc element to it.
Thanks Mark, I was pleased with how the ICM came out

I like the first just about the right amount of camera movement but the third is a little glimpse of heaven for me, alone with the dogs on a wide open beach/field, perfect :clap:

I love the third with the human figure - looks a bit Lowry with those skinny legs - but the first is my choice. Great motion blur and beautiful minimalism.

I like the first just about the right amount of camera movement but the third is a little glimpse of heaven for me, alone with the dogs on a wide open beach/field, perfect :clap:

Thanks both, I'm glad you like them and that it wasn't just me being indecisive.

All three fit the theme well. I'm struggling to pick one though. Its between the first two for me. I prefer the brighter colours in the first shot but there's something about the lead in line on the second one that keeps capturing my eye...

First one for me too Chris. Minimalist, impressionist, probably both but it works well.

All three fit the theme well. I'm struggling to pick one though. Its between the first two for me. I prefer the brighter colours in the first shot but there's something about the lead in line on the second one that keeps capturing my eye...

All nice shots but #1 just edged it for me. Like the subtle movement.

Thanks all, at least it wasn't just me struggling to pick one.

#1 makes my eyes go funny and #2 is way too busy for being truly minimalist. #3 is a great photo of a (nearly) empty beach where the man with his dog add a sense of scale.

#1 makes my eyes go funny and #2 is way too busy for being truly minimalist. #3 is a great photo of a (nearly) empty beach where the man with his dog add a sense of scale.
Well I suppose that goes to the heart of what is a minimalist photo, what it is that is being minimised? I have to say I have no idea but thanks for looking.

Good choice for transport Chris, it has a timeless feel to it, I know what you mean about cropping 'to crop or not to crop ...that is the question :)' I go backward and forwards with mine sometimes before I decide.

Minimalistic ....I love them, just my type of photo, difficult to decide between #1 and #3 they're both spot on for the theme.:clap:

Last edited:
Transport - I could look at that for a long time (a did for quite awhile), lots to take in and give interest. I like the POV, were you standing on a bridge or something, as it feels like it was taken from higher than a regular viewpoint.

Minimalistic - I can see why you had a tough time choosing, for me they get better as they go down. #1 I like the abstract nature of it, #2 I really liked the trail (is it a bike track?) but #3 is the stand out one for me with the man and dog giving a good scale to the beach. Love the cool tones in it as well.

Good choice for transport Chris, it has a timeless feel to it, I know what you mean about cropping 'to crop or not to crop ...that is the question :)' I go backward and forwards with mine sometimes before I decide.

Minimalistic ....I love them, just my type of photo, difficult to decide between #1 and #3 they're both spot on for the theme.:clap:
Thanks Susie, there always seesm to be somehting that needs cropping in scenes like that, glad you liked the minimal photos.

Transport - I could look at that for a long time (a did for quite awhile), lots to take in and give interest. I like the POV, were you standing on a bridge or something, as it feels like it was taken from higher than a regular viewpoint.

Minimalistic - I can see why you had a tough time choosing, for me they get better as they go down. #1 I like the abstract nature of it, #2 I really liked the trail (is it a bike track?) but #3 is the stand out one for me with the man and dog giving a good scale to the beach. Love the cool tones in it as well.
Thanks Steve, transport was taken from the station bridge, I was a bit miffed that I didn't stand a little further right so that all the left-most rail was visible, one for a reshoot perhaps. And yes, #2 is a bike track on the sand, gald you liked them.

I ike the irony, from a garage to a mobility scooter market, its a popular market these days, was it WALL-E where people had lost the use of their legs :thinking:

its nice to know they do key cutting too :lock:

Well Chris you got me on this, I don`t fancy my scooter on progress :)

I ike the irony, from a garage to a mobility scooter market, its a popular market these days, was it WALL-E where people had lost the use of their legs :thinking:

its nice to know they do key cutting too :lock:

Thanks both, irony/social commentary was what I was going for. I thought WALL-E was quite daring for a Disney film, having a go at a section of its audience like that

Minimalist - all three are nice and fit the theme. To pick one, guess number 3.

Progress - err, you've lost me on that one, but thats no hard to do! I'll just imagine I see 'it' and give you a thumbs-up for making me think.

Minimalist - all three are nice and fit the theme. To pick one, guess number 3.

Progress - err, you've lost me on that one, but thats no hard to do! I'll just imagine I see 'it' and give you a thumbs-up for making me think.

Thanks Chris, as you correctly surmised ;) it is an allegorical photo which on first glance one may suppose it is about mobility scooters allowing people to progress along our streets. Beneath that is perhaps the implication of progress in a social context, i.e. technological progress in battery/motor technology that is allowing the disabled to make progress, both physically and in a wider societal sense. But then consideration of the sign at the left of the photo, advertising inter-alia MOTs and a price for diesel indicates that the premises might once have been a car dealership/garage with the questions that that change of use raises with regard to progress in a wider context. :geek:

Last edited:
The more I look at it the more I see the humour... works well for the theme on so many levels (y)

delightfully grim in an amusing way. :D

Key cutting too. :thinking:

The more I look at it the more I see the humour... works well for the theme on so many levels (y)
delightfully grim in an amusing way. :D

Key cutting too. :thinking:
Thanks both, glad you saw the humour, I was beginning to wonder if I had over-thought it. Don't knock the key cutting, my better half has used that service :)

Hi Chris,

Minimalistic - #1 for me, it says acres of nothingness.

Progress - I guess I'm just being dim, but I don't see the levels of commentary others are taking from the shot.
I just get it at the "helping the less mobile make progress" level.
Any chance of getting a bit more drama in the sky?

Hi Chris,

Minimalistic - #1 for me, it says acres of nothingness.

Progress - I guess I'm just being dim, but I don't see the levels of commentary others are taking from the shot.
I just get it at the "helping the less mobile make progress" level.
Any chance of getting a bit more drama in the sky?
Thanks Tim, I'm sure you are not being dim, I was just poking a bit of fun really. It's fairly SOOC so I could probably get a bit more from the sky, probably should have used the polarizer

Hi, Yup, got me as well. I see where you are coming from and it's a bold attempt. It feels a little cluttered, ie the Key Cutting on the RHS.]

Anyway, I ain't even thought about mine submission.

Cheers.

Hi, Yup, got me as well. I see where you are coming from and it's a bold attempt. It feels a little cluttered, ie the Key Cutting on the RHS.]

Anyway, I ain't even thought about mine submission.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, I feel the clutter is part of the commentary on progress, I'm getting the feeling I know the site too well. 10 or 15 years ago it was quite a smart Ford dealership and garage which has "progressed" to what it is today

Looks like a nice pleasurable cold drink on a hot day, like the shadow on LHS and a good lemon. My only grip is the purple flower at back, maybe crop that bit out (y)
Thanks Dave, I framed it with the purple flowers in on purpose for that summers-day-in-the-garden feel. Perhaps a subtler colour might have been better

Back