weekly Karl's 53: Close-up; Heat; Relax, added

Companions, certainly a different take on the theme, just a minor comment as the rest though regarding the DoF.

Watery, Its fits no doubt about that, its just a shame there isn't a focal point in there,
Like a tractor or something similar.

Watery....Well I certainly wouldn't want to be picking my way across that!

very watery but as someone said needs a little something to add some interest

:agree:
On theme but just missing something.

:agree: .... you've got me going now .... perhaps a lower POV ... ?

watery - I have to agree with the earlier comments - it's a good fit for the theme, but it's lacking in a focal point :(

Companions, certainly a different take on the theme, just a minor comment as the rest though regarding the DoF.

Watery, Its fits no doubt about that, its just a shame there isn't a focal point in there,
Like a tractor or something similar.

Watery, on theme and another interesting take. I'd prefer if you got much lower and maybe even closer to the water.

Cheers.

Watery - fits the theme.

Watery....Well I certainly wouldn't want to be picking my way across that!

very watery but as someone said needs a little something to add some interest

:agree:
On theme but just missing something.

:agree: .... you've got me going now .... perhaps a lower POV ... ?

watery - I have to agree with the earlier comments - it's a good fit for the theme, but it's lacking in a focal point :(

Thanks all, for your comments, I think that you are all in agreement there - I did think about climbing the gate and getting a bit lower down, but I was lazy. I should take a bit more time to do these, I think. Take the point about a lack of focal point too. Thanks for the feedback.

Karl

+1 on the focal point. I always try to tell myself "foreground, middleground, background" when I look at a landscape. Sometimes a strong scene doesn't need it, but it's always worth thinking about it.

I actually really like this shot though. The wet, muddy field is common to this country at this time of year and that makes it a very "British" photo.

Hi Karl... some good photos there.

Fragile: I like this composition and the super narrow DOF works. My only crit would be the amount of OOF foreground feels a bit too much, i.e. that's too dominant for me - I'd be inclined to crop maybe half of that OOF bottom part out. In fact, a slight crop off the top would then leave you with perfect thirds as well - might be worth a look?

Scenic: it certainly is. A calming picture this one, and I like that. It's not wowwing anyone, but that's ok - it's pretty, has some interesting light and a nice lead in with the river. Shooting a bit earlier (if it was morning) / later (if it was afternoon) would perhaps strengthen it further, light-wise?

Companions: good capture but to be entirely on theme, I'd look to have both of them in focus.

Watery: I'm afraid this isn't doing it for me: the watery puddles are just a bit lost. If you'd had a super wide angle and got REALLY close to one of the puddles to make it genuine foreground subject matter, it would be stronger IMO. Perhaps working with a leading line or two more obviously as well. Finally, the light isn't kind - very flat which doesn't help the image lift itself from the mud! Strong side lighting would really help here, IMO. So... I think you have the scene which could make an image here, but I'd rotate round to the left to use the tyre tracks more, I'd get down on the ground (or close to it) and right on top of a puddle - perhaps the one at the bottom right of the frame currently. Shoot at sunrise/sunset and that's the photo.

Hi Karl... some good photos there.

Fragile: I like this composition and the super narrow DOF works. My only crit would be the amount of OOF foreground feels a bit too much, i.e. that's too dominant for me - I'd be inclined to crop maybe half of that OOF bottom part out. In fact, a slight crop off the top would then leave you with perfect thirds as well - might be worth a look?

Scenic: it certainly is. A calming picture this one, and I like that. It's not wowwing anyone, but that's ok - it's pretty, has some interesting light and a nice lead in with the river. Shooting a bit earlier (if it was morning) / later (if it was afternoon) would perhaps strengthen it further, light-wise?

Companions: good capture but to be entirely on theme, I'd look to have both of them in focus.

Watery: I'm afraid this isn't doing it for me: the watery puddles are just a bit lost. If you'd had a super wide angle and got REALLY close to one of the puddles to make it genuine foreground subject matter, it would be stronger IMO. Perhaps working with a leading line or two more obviously as well. Finally, the light isn't kind - very flat which doesn't help the image lift itself from the mud! Strong side lighting would really help here, IMO. So... I think you have the scene which could make an image here, but I'd rotate round to the left to use the tyre tracks more, I'd get down on the ground (or close to it) and right on top of a puddle - perhaps the one at the bottom right of the frame currently. Shoot at sunrise/sunset and that's the photo.

Hi Paul,

thanks for the feedback. I knew that the muddy field was a bit of a mess, and had some ideas for making it better (with the same scene), such as getting closer to the ground and shooting upwards from a puddle - but I have to say that the rest of your crit has given me a much better understanding of other aspects of where I was going wrong, I especially like your suggestions for leading lines and side lighting (from a low sun).

Thanks again,

Karl

Elegant: Interesting interpretation of the theme, a little better if the very first letter in each starting word was the subject of the focus...but nice shot anyway.

Bold: Been there, done that, so nothing else to say.

Vertical: The picture is interesting as once the theme is known it is fun trying to find the bit that is actually vertical. The twist is, there isn't one. The roof of the walkway is horizontal but there are no verticals.

I like it.

Last edited:
Elegant: Interesting interpretation of the theme, a little better if the very first letter in each starting word was the subject of the focus...but nice shot anyway.

Bold: Been there, done that, so nothing else to say.

Vertical: The picture is interesting as once the theme is known it is fun trying to find the bit that is actually vertical. The twist is, there isn't one. The roof of the walkway is horizontal but there are no verticals.

I like it.

Thanks for that, Martin, I see what you mean about the 'elegant' picture and the 'vertical' was a bit of fun.

I hadn't checked out everyone else's take on 'Bold' when I took the pic, but I certainly take your point!

cheers,

Karl

Elegant - can see what you were trying to do here put the focus is wrong for me. Maybe a wider DOF so more is in focus from the beginning of the words?

Bold - Simple idea but seems a little soft to me, again as though the focus is slightly off.

Vertical - a quirky take on the theme :)

I like it.

My reason for popping in was similar... Saw your shot on the main images thread and thought - "No! That's just NOT vertical" I thought maybe something in the image might be but like Martin said - that's not the case. I now know I have OCD because this shot makes me deeply uncomfortable. Just one vertical or horizontal line would make me feel better. Sadly, that's not to be.

But you did make me think about your image. You made me stop and take the time to write about it too. That's good. Keep going!

Hey Karl!
Elegant: like your idea for the theme, and the handwriting is way better than my scrawl and very elegant! Not keen on the blue ink for some reason, a mono conversation might look quite nice.

Bold: little bit soft....must be the built in conditioner [emoji23]

Vertical: this is really messing with my head! No matter which way I tilt this photo, I can't get it to look as my head is telling me it should look! I can only assume that this car park is on a severe tilt or the houses are all squint..... Either way, I think it's brilliant for that very reason - nice one!

Hi Karl

Elegant ... nice idea but somethings a bit "off" about the focus.

Bold ... Oh no not again! Very BOLD BG.

Vertical ... Love this ... wacky walkway thingy, and the way you've tilted it just makes for an amazing image. (y)

Elegant - I have to agree with David's comments about elegant.

Bold - very bold indeed fits the theme, not to keen on the background tho.

Vertical - I agree with the others it's a unusual take on the theme, but I like the angle the pictures at.

Elegant - can see what you were trying to do here put the focus is wrong for me. Maybe a wider DOF so more is in focus from the beginning of the words?

Bold - Simple idea but seems a little soft to me, again as though the focus is slightly off.

Vertical - a quirky take on the theme :)

My reason for popping in was similar... Saw your shot on the main images thread and thought - "No! That's just NOT vertical" I thought maybe something in the image might be but like Martin said - that's not the case. I now know I have OCD because this shot makes me deeply uncomfortable. Just one vertical or horizontal line would make me feel better. Sadly, that's not to be.

But you did make me think about your image. You made me stop and take the time to write about it too. That's good. Keep going!

Hey Karl!
Elegant: like your idea for the theme, and the handwriting is way better than my scrawl and very elegant! Not keen on the blue ink for some reason, a mono conversation might look quite nice.

Bold: little bit soft....must be the built in conditioner [emoji23]

Vertical: this is really messing with my head! No matter which way I tilt this photo, I can't get it to look as my head is telling me it should look! I can only assume that this car park is on a severe tilt or the houses are all squint..... Either way, I think it's brilliant for that very reason - nice one!

Hi Karl

Elegant ... nice idea but somethings a bit "off" about the focus.

Bold ... Oh no not again! Very BOLD BG.

Vertical ... Love this ... wacky walkway thingy, and the way you've tilted it just makes for an amazing image. (y)

Vertical; nothing vertical there, an unusual take on the theme.

Elegant - I have to agree with David's comments about elegant.

Bold - very bold indeed fits the theme, not to keen on the background tho.

Vertical - I agree with the others it's a unusual take on the theme, but I like the angle the pictures at.

Thanks all for your comments. I know what you mean about 'Elegant', it seemed like a good idea at the time, with a bit of macro - but even though I've tried to re-shoot it several times, I don't seem to be able to get it quite right..

Bold: quite right, it would have been a bit better if I'd actually got the word 'BOLD' tack sharp, me staring at a screen too long, is my excuse.

I am pleased that the 'Vertical' image foxed a few of you. I had spent all of Saturday (or much of it) searching for something suitable, original, clever - but nothing. Nothing at all. Trees - been done; pylons - yawn; telegraph poles - too obvious... so, on Sunday, I left my camera at home and went shopping to Morrison's - when I walked out door, there it was, so out cam the battered old iPhone. Serendipity - though I would have liked to have had the time to nip home and get camera and tripod. It worked for me, so if you liked it too, I'm somewhat chuffed! Sorry (but quite glad) if it twisted a few people's melons! :)

Thanks for all your comments, encouraging.

Karl

Hi Carl :)

Quick catch up from me again :)

Watery - Sorry, not keen on this shot, it needs something else for me to grab my attention, but hey , yes it fits the theme :)

Elegant - Yes very elegant writing, and a nice shallow DoF :)

Bold - Lovely bright colours, not sure again with the red bow and red background, but again the text is nice and sharp in the right place and spot on for the theme :)

Vertical - Hmmmmm Sorry, seems odd to say but I can't see one thing that is vertical despite the image have loads of items that should be :D - Nice quirky angle that works for the image but not the theme, still I like the actual image (y)

Hi Carl :)

Quick catch up from me again :)

Watery - Sorry, not keen on this shot, it needs something else for me to grab my attention, but hey , yes it fits the theme :)

Elegant - Yes very elegant writing, and a nice shallow DoF :)

Bold - Lovely bright colours, not sure again with the red bow and red background, but again the text is nice and sharp in the right place and spot on for the theme :)

Vertical - Hmmmmm Sorry, seems odd to say but I can't see one thing that is vertical despite the image have loads of items that should be :D - Nice quirky angle that works for the image but not the theme, still I like the actual image (y)

Thanks for that Dark Knight,

I take your point on 'Watery' - it was a bit wishy-washy, if you'll pardon the pun.

There vertical picture struck me for quite that reason - nothing that should be vertical is actually vertical! I had spent my Saturday scouring the countryside for a vertical theme and drew a blank - went to the supermarket on the Sunday, came out of the doors and was presented with a scene from Alice in Wonderland - nothing more than an iPhone camera on me, but it did the trick.. though I would have liked to have nipped home for the Nikon and a tripod - though as I live about 30 miles from said supermarket, and was already losing the light, I took what I could.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Karl

That's a striking image Karl!

Great study in texture and detail. Looks much better enlarged. However, I'm not sure whether I've been staring at the Vertical shot too long, but this doesn't look right in terms of angles. It's all very non-euclidean as HP Lovecraft would probably say... Anyway... I like the choice of vignette too, although do I wonder if it's a little too heavy.

HI Karl

Vertical.....yup , that's messing with my head as well.....been tilting the laptop to try n find the verticals , of which there are many ,but that darn walkway cover really throws oyu a curve ball....like it :)

Your most recent shot post #65 I'm guessing is for Mouth.......why 2 images :thinking: As per Ian, this really does look better viewed large where you can see the detail in the stone work :)

Hi, wondering about the 2 images also, I do like a good grotesque

Some interesting and varied shots in your thread. VERTICAL my favourite so far: dutch-tilt images are always eye-catching.

View attachment 34843 Crowd.
A crowd of folks listening to an instructive talk on the 'Way to Do It', from some long-standing experts on the topic, Richard and Judy - or something like that...

Last edited:
Blimey Richard punch and Judy, not seen one of those in many years, very much on theme (y)

Hiya,

Crowd - good shot, I like the way you've shot from the back of the crowd :)

Machine - fits the theme well - nice shot

Punch and Judy worth a clap for just finding one unless of course you do live in the 60's/70's

not sure of the angle you have taken the machine at, but certainly looks an impressive thing

Hi Karl ...

Crowd ... I like but maybe more FG and less BG in focus would work better.

Machine ... lovely machinery there ... damned sunlight!

Hi, Karl close up is that a rifle of some sort? if it is it's a fantastic shot, no problems wonderful :exit:

Heat now that looks like a wonderful machine again some nice detailing their, White balance looks a little off because it's a big orange but that's easily corrected in post.

Relax now that really do say relaxed to me lovely tranquil planting nice colours all it needs is somebody laydown in the foreground to make a cracking shot.

Cheers

Great sharp shots Karl. Love on the relax shot - all the different colours of the trees. Keep going on the catch up - I know how you feel - I'm catching up too!

Back