weekly 2021 TP52 - week 52 - SHOWCASE (sort of)

I like both your takes on this theme. Your chosen shot is a simple but effective composition

You could do a cheeky upside down 6? :)

I really like the idea and the collage. Like you say - it does need a number nine to finish it, but it made me smile for this challenge with it missing.

You could do a cheeky upside down 6? :)

I really like the idea and the collage. Like you say - it does need a number nine to finish it, but it made me smile for this challenge with it missing.

For a second, I did think about changing one of my '6' shots, but I think it made more of a point to not have it.

Yep - I like that approach :)

I really like your composite images. This is a really varied collection - 3 and 5 being my favourites. Now you're looking for nine I bet it'll be really hard to find - Sod's law!

Very clever take on the theme. Took a while to see the number 10 in the picture.

Pete

Numbers
When I first saw this the other day I really liked the idea and still do. I even like that there's one number missing.

I really like that your subject matter is so varied. Lots to look at and the missing nine adds a bit of quirkiness :)

Thanks - a lot of them are historic. By which I mean they weren't shot specifically for the 'numbers' project. So I went back through all my shots one by one to see if any had numbers in accidentally. They're the shots I prefer. There's a danger that you only take the shot because of the number which I've tried to avoid. But it's impossible. because I'm taking the shot because I've spotted the number.

If anyone is at all interested, here's the flickr album:

Thanks - a lot of them are historic. By which I mean they weren't shot specifically for the 'numbers' project. So I went back through all my shots one by one to see if any had numbers in accidentally. They're the shots I prefer. There's a danger that you only take the shot because of the number which I've tried to avoid. But it's impossible. because I'm taking the shot because I've spotted the number.

If anyone is at all interested, here's the flickr album:

Great idea! You've got one of my favourite beers in there too :)

Week 19 - Toy(s)

I used to work almost directly opposite Harrods so, when my daughter was born, I got her that year's Harrod's Teddy for her first Christmas (it won't let me type C_H_R_I_S_T_M_A_S)

They all have the year on their foot. I think they all have a name too, but I'm not sure I can remember any of them.

I've bought her one every year since, but this is the one that means the most.

TP52 - WK19: Toys by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
I figured when I saw it that the date would have some significance. If that makes her 16, I sincerely wish you all the very best!!

Could stand to lose that sliver of orange down the RH edge, but otherwise it's all about the date. I also love how we know what it is without needing to see all of it. Nice.

Interesting stuff. We've got a vertical farm here too - fascinating!
Very effective - I knew I had seen the film, but was struggling to find the name. Great colours!
Not seen the film but a quick IMDB search indicates perhaps I should!

I think the purple lighting gives it a very sci-fi vibe which complements your subject well and hits the theme on the head.

(y)
Can't watch the film anymore. The little robots at the end make me very upset, it's all so sad. That said it is a wonderful film and at least some humans bothered to put some elements of the Earth in a (initially) safe place in the movie, not something anyone in a position to help is doing anything about now. With idiots like Brazil's Bolsanaro on a quest to destroy the Earth I fail to see how we can save it. Still at least Trump has gone for now so for the environment, that's good news.

Sorry, this isn't the place for politics. Good fit for the theme.
Not a film I had heard off, I had wondered if it was in connection with "The colour purple", which I had considered for a little while. Much more interesting than that though, thanks for the explanation with it.
That's interesting. What's growing there?
Film
I've seen the film (I'm not sure I would have got it directly from just your photo, I'm not good at guessing stuff like this).
Nice pinky, purple tones.

Just in case you're interested, the film's finally gone live.

The Future is Now: a connected world - YouTube

Nice story and sentimental too. Wonder how much it is worth now. I read a similar story not long ago about a father who bought his newborn son a bottle of 25 years old whisky and one ever since. I think his son is now in his late 20s early 30s and none of the bottles was ever opened and the collection of 25 years old whisky is now worth tens of thousands of pounds.

I'm surprised you could afford Cornwall TBH.

My wife's from North Devon and we've looked at moving down there, and would probably need better jobs to afford something similar to what we have here. Especially anywhere near the coast.

Sorry just seen your reply. We don't live near the coast, we live near the moors well away from the tourist areas. The only tourists to come to this area are looking for the old mine workings on Caradon Hill. House prices here have risen quite a lot in recent years, especially this last year, but moving from Maidenhead would still be possible because of the equity we would have had. Of course we can never move back, it's definitely a one-way thing, but having lived here for nearly twenty years I don't think we'd move on now.

Toys
Its great to have tangible reminders of significant dates. Did you try any images where the bottom of the paw does not touch the edge? Agree about the orange sliver and there's also a tiny white area in the bottom right edge. I try to remember a mnemonic from Tony Northrup, BELTS
Background
Edges
Lighting
Thirds
Story

Toy
A great way to celebrate your daughter's birthday and subsequent birthdays.

Catch up - Week 20 - Artificial

TP522021: Week 20 - Artificial 1 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP522021: Week 20 - Artificial 2 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

And my chosen one - just preferred the angle/processing.

TP522021: Week 20 - Artificial 3 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Week 21 - Pattern.

Battery died in my 'proper' camera, so used my waterproof camera for this. Because the resolution's a bit poor, I wanted to try and get something simple and graphic. Nice light as the sun was going down.

TP522021: Week 21 - pattern(s) by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Artificial:

Those flowers at the top do not look fake. They can work wonders these days, difficult to know what's real and what isn't.

Patterns:

I do like this simple image and at first I thought the dividing line was 50% but this has brought out the pedant in me and a quick check with a rule shows me that the fence is actually just over half way up the image. How sad am I?!

Simple and to the point though; effective.

Artificial:

Those flowers at the top do not look fake. They can work wonders these days, difficult to know what's real and what isn't.

Patterns:

I do like this simple image and at first I thought the dividing line was 50% but this has brought out the pedant in me and a quick check with a rule shows me that the fence is actually just over half way up the image. How sad am I?!

Simple and to the point though; effective.

I must admit - I did the crop in Lightroom and you have to guestimate to a certain degree.

It was meant to be exact. I might have to take it into PS and redo it...

Last edited:
Artificial
I agree with your choice, the worktop looks a lot nicer, which makes the fruit stand out.

Pattern
I do like the colour contrast between the sky and fence. I'm not sure I would have noticed if it was a 50-50 split our not.

Artificial
I do like the flowers in the first image, the fruit bowl with the darker background looks better, though I personally see the fruit as too artificial, the stem of the grapes looks unnecessarily wide.

Patterns
A simple composition with the fence, I must admit it would annoy me not having the 50:50 split, especially if it is was just a fraction off. The water image is nice too, managing to align the boat with the reflection improves it, I wonder if another crop from the top to give equal space above and below the horizon would work, there is a vast expanse of blue sky that doesn't really add to the main elements.

Week 22 - Up Close

Taken with a wide angle lens and a combination of extension tubes.

Can't remember what I went with in the end. I know it was uncomfortably close to my eyeball.

The problem with getting any closer was getting enough light in around the end of the lens.

TP522021: WK22 - Up Close by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

I did also look at a B&W conversion as well as selective colour.

Definitely wasn't keen on the selective colour, and it was a toss up between the colour or B&W, but I think I preferred the original.

TP522021: Wk 22 - Up Close Alt 1 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP522021: Wk 22 - Up Close Alt 2 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's nicely close Kell, lots of detail, colour version for me (y)

What seems perfectly OK when viewed from a normal distance becomes eerie when we get too close, nevertheless, good fit for the theme. That little bit in the corner of the eye is a vestigial third eyelid that has become unused and therefore evolved out in humans; dogs still have theirs which mostly appear when asleep or ill. Just a little bit if trivia I read the other week.

Great level of detail, really well done. I prefer the full colour version.

What seems perfectly OK when viewed from a normal distance becomes eerie when we get too close, nevertheless, good fit for the theme. That little bit in the corner of the eye is a vestigial third eyelid that has become unused and therefore evolved out in humans; dogs still have theirs which mostly appear when asleep or ill. Just a little bit if trivia I read the other week.

You mean you can't close yours? ;-)

Aye eye! Fine shot - full colour for me ta :)

Colour for me as well.

Must have been hard getting it all to line up in the camera.

Pete

Colour for me as well.

Must have been hard getting it all to line up in the camera.

Pete

If you mean actually centering my eye ball, I used my 80D which has a flip out screen and live mode. So even though the camera was pointed right at me, I could still see the screen.

If you mean actually centering my eye ball, I used my 80D which has a flip out screen and live mode. So even though the camera was pointed right at me, I could still see the screen.
That explains it - I was wondering how you manged to get the shot. I have a flip out screen but I still don't use it very often.
Colour for me too.

Patterns: really like this with the contrasting colours and simplicity - well spotted. I would be unable to choose between the two crops.

Artificial: I like your chosen shot best. Great colours and stands out well against the background. Highlights look a bit overdone, but it looks like it would be ne'er impossible to do otherwise.

Close up: Makes me want to blink. Very brave to get so close! I think I like the full colour also, although the colour popped one is 'different'.

Back