weekly kh_42 - 52/2021 - Weeks 11-13 added!

I like the lighting and the texture that the processing has brought out.

Looks a little green to me - but could just be my monitor...

I had a yellow light on it, and played a little with the colour to try and give it a stylised sort of look.

Lots of feedback on the lighting, mostly that it could do with a bit more. I can't go back and light it again, but I can adjust the processing. So I have (also with a little crop at the suggestion of @HelenC. Et voila!

Thanks again to all who have looked and commented!

Week 2: Dirty

I nearly dug one out of the archive this week, but I felt a bit lazy for doing that when I embarked on this specifically to push me to get out and take more photos! As I'm sure most of us did, Difficult week this week, oddly, given that its been wet and mucky here for the last few days. Anyway, took the hound for a walk yesterday afternoon to the local park, and stopped to look at what is normally a lovely little pond. Seems that with it being frozen over for the last couple of weeks and with less people being around thanks to lockdown, some folks couldn't resist using random crap as a means to try and smash the ice. Dirty it is, Decided to try adding a frame this week, to make it a little more interesting than it might otherwise have been - plus, I haven't done that in so long I had to re-learn how!

I like that.

Great idea behind it, but also very well executed,

My only gripe would be that the wheel isn't centred and it's not off-centre enough to make it deliberately not centred.

Oh, nuts. That’s my fault in the cropping. What a silly thing to overlook. The bottom of the wheel is deliberately cut off because it was right up against the edge of the pond and that ruined the shot for me, but the off-centre thing is just me not paying enough attention in editing.

Thanks for the feedback though, even if it is going to bake my noodle for the rest of the day! :)

Good idea for the theme. You've made a nice composition out of something that most would overlook.

The crop works well, and while I'm not usually fond of frames at the moment, it really helps in this case. You've made something interesting out of nothing!

Nice take on the theme and works well. It'd make a nice punchy mono too :)

A different take on the theme using the ice, not had any here yet down south.
The frame adds loads to the image so worth relearning.

Pete

My very first impression was 'who the hell has done that!!!' and I was about to get on my high horse about pollution and the complete disregard that some people have for the environment when they dump oil into public waters...then I realised it was ice! OK it's still polluted but only with a tyre this time so little harm done but I still wish people wouldn't do things like that.

Anyway, about the photo, fits the bill and makes me feel quite chilly now.

(y) good work, on theme. Only thing I might add would be perhaps cropping the log at the top of the frame out, it draws my eye away from the central image. It's a minor niggle though.

I like your crop, and the frame adds to the picture. I think the tyre might be a little lost, or at least look a little odd without something constraining, it like you have done.

Christ if my spaniel got in there he would be VERY Dirty....
Great shot, bang on theme I might have tried to get the full wheel in the picture but that's just my OCD.

The framing does indeed enhance it, good idea for the theme

Dirty
I quite like that, good foreground feature, good pov and I'm also liking the frame.

I agree with Helen, most of us would have overlooked it as a subject, so well spotted. The frame suits it. I don’t mind the log at the top - sort of adds perspective, nor the positioning.

I love your nearby shot - I missed it before. I’d stick with the two lights as they lead you through the frame.

Thanks again all for the feedback - much appreciated!

Dirty is good for the theme and the composition is OK for me, both the tyre and the log 'fit' well. It also look bleddy cold! Brrrrrrr

First dip into the archive this week, I've just been slammed with work and haven't had a chance to even think about taking photos. Slightly annoyed it happened so early, but there you go. This was taken last October on a visit to Northumberland (during the brief respite from lockdown). On the way we stopped at Hadrian's wall which is actually very impressive considering its a well, a wall. In terms of processing this, I converted to black and white because I think it works better, cropped in to make the wall a bit more prominent and get rid of some ugly foreground and did a little work to draw the sky back. Conditions on the day were quite tricky, so I'd blown it out fairly well!

Anyway, its a lot of (very old) stone wall - so there you have it!

Another nice stone wall. I'd probably try to liven it up a bit as it looks a bit dull (it probably was)

I really like this, but looks a but dark BL corner, the start of the leading line. A smidge off the bottom might work.

Another nice stone wall. I'd probably try to liven it up a bit as it looks a bit dull (it probably was)

It was. Light sucked. Any suggestions on how I might be able to liven it up a bit in post?

I really like this, but looks a but dark BL corner, the start of the leading line. A smidge off the bottom might work.

Yeah, agree - on reflection I probably could have lifted the exposure a little bit to brighten it up some.

Nice image with some good contrast. I was about to agree that it is a little dark but it looks much better on Flickr.

Nice image with some good contrast. I was about to agree that it is a little dark but it looks much better on Flickr.

Thank you! It didn’t look quite so dark in my screen either, but when I checked on here is seems a lot darker than I thought it would be! Weird.

Stone
Nice wall, good diagonal too. I think I may have lightened the wall a little, to help it stand out a bit.

Week 4: Tall

Better late than never, been crazy over the last couple of weeks so had to dip into the archive again - not too far back though, just after Christmas during a brief respite from L4 lockdown we went out for a walk at Whitelee Wind Farm to enjoy some fresh air and snow! I've cropped this a bit to emphasize the sheer size of the turbines as they tower over the trees, but apart from that and some slight exposure adjustments (because snow) not too much processing required,

Week 5: Snapper's choice

A portrait of my youngest this week. For the longest time I've wanted to try and improve my portrait photography and learn how to use studio lighting, so given that I can't go anywhere I thought I'd give it a try. I put together a very basic set-up (speedlight, holder, light stand, umbrella diffuser and pop-up background - thanks eBay!) to give it a try. Luckily for me, my daughter likes nothing more than having a camera pointed at her so she was only too willing to volunteer as my practice model, especially because it was a proper photo shoot! This was one of the first shots I took of her in that session and I think it really captured her personality. Made some minor adjustments in post and a square crop that I thought suited the image.

Lots more to learn, but I'm quite happy for my first ever photo shoot!

Two lovely shots, especially the portrait. Well done! I wish I could do so well.

Lovely bright fresh scene for your Tall image. The trees look tiny :D The clouds in the sky add to it too.

And a lovely portrait. Very nice lighting and pose. How lucky you are to have a beautiful, keen model. My family all run a mile!

Two lovely shots, especially the portrait. Well done! I wish I could do so well.

Thank you - to be honest, its a lot of watching YouTube videos for guidance and then trial and error! I took about 30 and had maybe 5 that were real keepers. Feels like there's a lot to think about when shooting, although I suspect it becomes more natural with practice.

Both super shots.

Thank you!

Lovely bright fresh scene for your Tall image. The trees look tiny :D The clouds in the sky add to it too.

And a lovely portrait. Very nice lighting and pose. How lucky you are to have a beautiful, keen model. My family all run a mile!

Thank you! She's quite the little ham, to be fair my wife and son are much less keen! When I was done on this session she insisted we switch so she could take some pics too and she's quite a natural behind the camera as well.

That's a lovely portrait!

Tall.. you can almost breathe the fresh air in that scene. Nice perspective to capture the two turbines.
Snappers Choice.. looks great to me but then I'm no expert on lighting and studio shots. The mono conversion looks good and it suits the square crop.

The tops of those snow-covered pine look great, windmills too!

And that's a nice characterful portrait.

Tall looks so crisp and cold! Love the whites and blues in it and it fits the theme well.

The portrait is great, did you guide her pose or was that natural? either way it works very well.

The portrait is great, did you guide her pose or was that natural? either way it works very well.

I only put her in the general position for the lighting, the actual pose itself was just natural on her behalf.

Thanks! I have a feeling it’s going to end up in the wall at some point. Just need to do something similar with my son now!

Back