LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

The Cross Process tool can be good ... but not sure it works on this occasion.

Hmmm ... maybe you should have banged 6 nails into a bit of 2B1, fixed it to a brick wall and hung the spanners in ORDER.

Good start to your 52.

Hadn't realised I didn't comment on week0 - when looking through the photo only thread it was one of my favourites for the week, really liked the processing on it as well.

week 1 - I'll go with the minority, I prefer the processed one. The original one feels a bit flat and the left hand side feels to dark.

Well... with the grain for me too, prefer the original, thinking its because of the stronger blacks, although the edit is nice it looks a tad washed out, whereas the original has better contrast for me :)

I like the layout you have used but the processing is a little OTT :wideyed: and highlights the BG you have used, I think the leatherette BG may not have been the best choice, something more rustic perhaps

so the pre jazz age one for me :)
The background was the only black I could lay my hands on, but you're right, it's not the best.

Not sure about this one Tim, sorry, I just feel they're too spread out and too tight on the left, but definitely the original, much easier on the eye.
A different layout may have been easier to photo / crop well. It is slightly close on the left, a result of having to crop for perspective.

I like it, along with the editing, it's the colour and texture I like there. If anything perhaps a bit tight on the crop.
I'm getting a "be more careful with your cropping" vibe coming through ;)

Hi Tim, I prefer the processed version too. Brings out the textures nicely. I also think the crop is a bit tight especially on lhs. Did you trying shooting them side by side?
Nope, I didn't try side by side, I wanted to go for the fan effect as I felt that side by side would be a bit normal.

I was thinking of doing a spanner shot, but was worried that I couldn't keep the highlights/reflexed light down. You seem to have handled this really well.
I didn't struggle with hihghlights, but the lighting is only ceiling LEDs, so not too bright.

The Cross Process tool can be good ... but not sure it works on this occasion.

Hmmm ... maybe you should have banged 6 nails into a bit of 2B1, fixed it to a brick wall and hung the spanners in ORDER.
Not in this weather (especially as the lighting in my garage has failed).

Good start to your 52.

Hadn't realised I didn't comment on week0 - when looking through the photo only thread it was one of my favourites for the week, really liked the processing on it as well.

week 1 - I'll go with the minority, I prefer the processed one. The original one feels a bit flat and the left hand side feels to dark.
Cheers, I really liked week 0 too.
And also cheers for helping to grow the minority that prefer #1. I agree, the original shot is a bit flat.

No one seems to have noticed the mistake I made when composing the image.
Somehow I managed to flip the 10mm spanner up side down.

Last edited:
I don't mind the processed/edited one although I think it looks better as a B&W. (y)

When I first saw your photos I liked the original unprocessed version more, but now I've warmed to the cross processing...

I don't mind the processed/edited one although I think it looks better as a B&W. (y)
Neither were quite B&W, but close enough that it would be hard to tell there was colour left in them.

When I first saw your photos I liked the original unprocessed version more, but now I've warmed to the cross processing...
Haha, You've looked at it for too long (which is probably what I did) ;)

I like PP but in this case i think the blacks and whites could be stronger to give more punch to image, seems to flat, the unprocessed works well.:)
Blimey, I didn't think there was much more hacking at the processed file I could do within the bounds of taste. Feel free to have a go at processing it so I can see what you mean :)

Made me smile, lovely photo, he looks very comfortable and I like the paw on top of the duvet.

Looks like you have some kind of infestation :whistle:

he certainly looks comfortable if in fact a toy can be

I like the way the meerkat matches the yellow of the bedlinen ..... Comfortable or a Comforter? Excellent choice, well composed and colour looks good.

Made me smile, lovely photo, he looks very comfortable and I like the paw on top of the duvet.
Yes Chris, the paw was deliberate.

Very comforting, did you compare the meerkat?
A number of times :)

Looks like you have some kind of infestation :whistle:

he certainly looks comfortable if in fact a toy can be
I did think afterwards, when zoomed into 100%, that perhaps he could have done with being hoovered first :oops: :$

I like the way the meerkat matches the yellow of the bedlinen ..... Comfortable or a Comforter? Excellent choice, well composed and colour looks good.
Yes Carl, the colour matching works nicely doesn't it.

Yep, same for me. Its a nice shot wothout being to cutesy.
Well done sir.

I did think afterwards, when zoomed into 100%, that perhaps he could have done with being hoovered first :oops: :$

I was thinking infestation of meerkats, but now you mention it :jawdrop::D

Week 03 : Hairy

Tenuous Moi? Surely not.
I give you "A Hairy Horizon" ;)

Temptation to apply more dodgy filters dodged...
The OOC shot was a tad darker than this, so I've brought the exposure up a little, darkened the shadows back down to take the house back to a silhouette and then applied a little bit of graduated tint to restore some blues to the sky.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 03 : Hairy
by Tim White, on Flickr

Certainly Hoary if not Hairy. Beautiful image with the aerial and chimney pot silhouetted and the brickwork and roof edge just discernable in the subtle light. Good one Tim.

I've been away, so catching up... your meerkat - love it - the colours, the smile on his face, the paw :) He looks very comfortable.

Hairy Horizon made me smile too. I was considering feathers for my pic and thought, 'no they're not hairy enough'! Now I'm starting to understand this game :D You've got the sun nicely settled in the dip between the building and the hair, I mean bushes. Amazing colours for SOOC.

Ooh, that. certainly looks like Comfort to me, and well composed too Tim.

Hairy sunset, hmmm, love the shot and how you've managed to control the exposure but I'm worried you might be ill as I haven't seen a train for a while :whistle:

Hairy, nicely shoehorned Tim, and not a train in sight :D

Certainly Hoary if not Hairy. Beautiful image with the aerial and chimney pot silhouetted and the brickwork and roof edge just discernable in the subtle light. Good one Tim.
Thanks Carl. It was the silhouetting of the roof line that did it for me.

I've been away, so catching up... your meerkat - love it - the colours, the smile on his face, the paw :) He looks very comfortable.

Hairy Horizon made me smile too. I was considering feathers for my pic and thought, 'no they're not hairy enough'! Now I'm starting to understand this game :D You've got the sun nicely settled in the dip between the building and the hair, I mean bushes. Amazing colours for SOOC.
Oh, I haven't started shoe-horning in yet, just you wait :)

Ooh, that. certainly looks like Comfort to me, and well composed too Tim.

Hairy sunset, hmmm, love the shot and how you've managed to control the exposure but I'm worried you might be ill as I haven't seen a train for a while :whistle:
I know, I've not managed anything with any railway since week 0.
Don't worry, I'm going to a winter gala next Friday, so I'm bound to take something I can shoe horn in :)

I was going to mention the train thing but its already been covered I see, hairy now that's a shoehorn

He does look comfortable, maybe trying to light is as if the curtains are just opened a crack so a thin slither of light is cast across.

Good twist on the theme, the lighter cloud top left seems a little out of place compared to the rest of the sky, I think the trees need to be a little sharper though.

(y)

Comfort, yes I like that very much. +1:) hairy, nice photo of a sunset -1:(

Great photo,
I like the silhouette of the trees and the chimney.
Amazing sunset

Great photo for comfort, well composed and nice effect. And I like your photo for hairy too. Great colours, and the "hairy horizon" is not too much of a shoehorn I think...

Hi Tim

Comfort ... I use Picasa and used to use the Lomo-ish tool quite a bit ... it work well here I think, nice & subtle. Plain white bedclothes are more to my liking. ;)

Hairy ... can't you see any trainlines from your bedroom window? ;)

I was going to mention the train thing but its already been covered I see, hairy now that's a shoehorn
I'd managed 3 weeks without a shoehorn, which was a bit poor (4 weeks without a train too, which was ruining my reputation).

Love the shoehorn and nice silhouettes :)
Cheers.

He does look comfortable, maybe trying to light is as if the curtains are just opened a crack so a thin slither of light is cast across.

Good twist on the theme, the lighter cloud top left seems a little out of place compared to the rest of the sky, I think the trees need to be a little sharper though.
(y)
I had deliberately waited until the sun wasn't coming in through the windows to give the shot an even lighting. Most (bright) days we do get that vicious shard of light attacking our eyes.
You're right about the cloud top left. I wondered what comments I would get so left it there. To me it reverses the impression you get of the sky. It was actually one of the few clouds in the sky, the rest was clear, but it gives the opposite impression.

Comfort, yes I like that very much. +1:) hairy, nice photo of a sunset -1:(
Ah, but the objective of the shot was to silhouette the hairy horizon (oh and it was a sunrise).

Great photo,
I like the silhouette of the trees and the chimney.
Amazing sunset
Thanks Isabelle. The trees and chimney were the intended subject :)

Aweeee Comfort, how sweet is that nicely laid out Tim, liking the angle and DoF too, focus is spot on (y)
Ta DK. I did work on the angle quite a bit, adjusting the height of the tripod until I got what I wanted.

The meerkat is great fun Tim..we've definitely got an infestation of those toys in our house :eek: And the sunset is an appalling shoehorn. Well done :D
I've bought far too much from compare the meerkat too :)
Glad you appreciate the shoehorn

Great photo for comfort, well composed and nice effect. And I like your photo for hairy too. Great colours, and the "hairy horizon" is not too much of a shoehorn I think...
Cheers :)

I thought that too !

Its nice shot tho, I love the way backlighting gives such definition to the forground.
Indeed. It wouldn't have worked with the sun coming from the other direction.
Glad it's winter time and I didn't have tp get up too early to get the shot.

Hi Tim ...I love the meerkat one ...he looks so cute tucked up in bed ...great colours too.
Sunset is a bit of a shoehorn but fits at a push ...nice colour in the sky.
Shoehorn? Where? ;)

Hi Tim

Comfort ... I use Picasa and used to use the Lomo-ish tool quite a bit ... it work well here I think, nice & subtle. Plain white bedclothes are more to my liking. ;)

Hairy ... can't you see any trainlines from your bedroom window? ;)
It's a real shame that Picassa has been discontinued, it does have some nice effects that are easy to apply.
Mind you, maybe CC has similar pre-sets (CS2 maybe less so)
And no, I can't see any railways from my bedroom window :(

Week 04 - Smooth

By popular demand...

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 04 : Smooth
by Tim White, on Flickr

This was a banker shot, taken mid afternoon as I was intending to get some long exposure night time shots on a tripod.
This was only just over 1/2 a second to smooth out the steam/exhaust, using a post to stabilise the shot! Hence my available angles were, er... "restricted".

Unfortunately by the time darkness had fallen, it was a *little* on the damp side and I didn't fancy a trudge through the mud to the shed (there were no locos anywhere near any suitable lighting at the station).

Still, I don't think it came out to bad. A little lomo effect added to 'date' the image and this could almost be cheap 124 colour film from my old brownie.

This was an earlier edit

BR Standard 9F 92214
by Tim White, on Flickr
I wanted to keep the signal in, but it really unbalanced the image and the sky is just nasty - You do get a better 'smoothing' of the exhaust though.

Hi Tim. As you say, the Smoothing effect is more noticeable in the earlier edit and the white of the exhaust is good too. I sort of se what you mean about the balance and sky but neither detracts from the image and so on balance, the earlier edit is my preferred version of the two.

Last edited:
By popular demand...
Yay :D

The second for me too Tim, and TBH you could crop the signal, but I think it's all part and parcel of it (y)

Back