weekly Lindsay56's 2019 TP-52 Wks 41/43/46 Partial catchup

Just to be different I'll go with #3, (maybe the colourful people contrasted with the pale sky) but they are all great shots and perfect for this week's theme.

@GarethB @Allan.H @BobBCN Thanks chaps, the feedback is encouraging me to continue with this type of shooting - I've never had the nerve for Street really, but sitting in the bistro/cafe/bar place with the camera sitting on the table, screen flipped up and just fiddling with settings whilst watching what the lens saw in LiveView was easy, after a while, especially whilst casually sipping at a peppermint tea. I was able to set ISO to 400, to avoid too much noise although it could have gone higher, and playing with different combinations of aperture and speed thanks to the stability of the table as a base - it worked well.

No. 1 and 3 for me - I can't decide which as both are very good and perfect for the theme. I think I would err towards no.1 but I would like to see the shot from a higher viewpoint if that makes sense.

No. 1 and 3 for me - I can't decide which as both are very good and perfect for the theme. I think I would err towards no.1 but I would like to see the shot from a higher viewpoint if that makes sense.
Interesting - I do plan to go back (it's a regular spot for us) with the EM10, but I'm not sure I've the nerve to shoot from a higher level. We'll have to see.

Great shot, love the lighting in that :)

Three good images there. First has the edge though. Really like the lighting in the first two images.

Rough - I do the ICM version of this shot, it's great to play with new techniques and i think it adds a bit of interest/fun over the sharp crop.

Object - Yup, the negative space works well with this one. You can almost imagine the smoke curling upwards to fill it.

Object - Yup, the negative space works well with this one. You can almost imagine the smoke curling upwards to fill it.

For me the smoke would have made the image. Still nice as is though.

Fab work Lindsay!(y)

Rough: All are very nice, I think I prefer the third image....just love the crisp detail. The first one however is superbly lit and the ICM of #2 is jolly good too.
Object: A nice, simple shot that works very well. The bright reflections pick out the shape nicely and the composition, while slightly unconventional, works very well.

Thanks @rpn @Dave70D @LC2 @-Oy- @GarethB @michael23 @gremlin16
I appreciate the time taken to look and consider the images. On the Rough ones, the two close ups weren't cropped at all; the ICM came out nicely - I've been really sceptical about this as a technique but sometimes it produces some really interesting images. On Object, the pipe, I agree that if it was smoking a little it would have added to the image - might do something on that idea - maybe a Pipes project! My card background needs replacing as it's a bit marked now (thanks to the steel wool!), but I like the compositional effect of lots of empty space, I know it takes some getting used to but I think it works.
Cheers

They both fit the themes very well, Lindsay. I prefer the straight first shot for Rough as it's very clear what your subject is and we know how they feel, and B&W is a good choice for it. The second one just looks a bit OOF to me, sorry, although I agree it's always good to try new techniques.

For Object, that's a good subject with lovely warm colours in the wood, and the background complements it well. The placement is unusual but does work well, and the only improvement would be the suggestions above to include some smoke curling up into the negative space. Well done for keeping up when you're under pressure at work, too.

Thanks @BobBCN @Carl Hall
@Manxmaid that's exactly how I've often viewed ICM shots, so was tentative about offering it up. I kind of like it though. Thanks for your comments and views.

Object
For me just a little more space below the pipe would be good. Other than that I like it.

I like the third rough best, with it covering the frame. Nice detail on the wire wool

The object image is pretty cool. Nice and simple, lots of detail in the pipe.

Great shots there. I really like the first and third shots for rough. I think the first just wins out for me. I like the simplicity of the shot.

Similarly for Object. Nicely composed and well lit. A real less is more kind of shot (y)

Both are nice, I like the first one for rough. I wasnt too sure about the mono at first but now the more I look at it there’s something there.

Hi Lindsay, Having a big catch up today in the hope I might then stay a bit more up to date!

Open - Love it. Great idea and well executed.
Distant - I think you picked the right one to go with. I like the bridge with the struts at the end framing to factory/warehouse in the distance
Cold - The blue certainly adds to the cold feel and I like the light shining through. I just slightly prefer the second one
Waiting - I like all the people waiting to cross. Not a good sky but then there's not a lot you can do about that, except maybe a letterbox crop would work, you could lose most of it then :D
Rough - Nice tones in the first image but I prefer the last one with it being a bit abstract
Object - Nice bg and lovely pipe. I do think it's missing a bit of smoke. You could always cheat and add some in photoshop :LOL:

:D

Thanks @Missycat @chrispp @IanD @Leebert @Nostromo

I'm having such a hard time at work at present that I'm falling behind - glad to have a Free week. Not only massively busy but just been told they're ending my contract early to save money, so all attention is on finding a job.

Distant - nice set of images i like the first image, though i think i would prefer a colour version.
Cold - before i read the description i had wondered what it was, both images work.
Waiting - first image for me, nicely framed.
Rough - the last image in the trio shows the detail nicely of the wire wool.
Object - fits the theme, crop works, I also think it would be a stronger image with a bit of smoke added in PP.

Back