weekly Longimanus 52 of 2016 - Wk 37 added - Still playing catchup though

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Placeholder to get started

Need to keep track of what I haven't done :)

Week 4 Happy
Week 17 Rough
Week 25 Sign(s) + Reshoot
Week 29 Hidden
Week 32 Static
Week 33 Game
Week 41 Alien
Week 43 Cracked
Week 44 Spooky +Re-shoot
Week 45 Pose
Week 47 young

Last edited:
Cheers, still thinking about metal, hopefully have a photo up by the end of the weekend :)

Hi Lee. Looks like a grater of some sort but suspect not with that indentation. Whatever, it makes a great abstract and certainly well themed. Excellent start :clap:

Nice black and white, intriguing. Good luck completing your 52

Nice black and white, intriguing. Good luck completing your 52
Like it and the subject fits the theme too. Would prefer to see the light more evenly lite.
Hi Lee ...my type of shot ....I like it, a good start to your 52's
I like the way the light captures the curves - is it a washing machine drum?
I like it, a good abstract and the lighting adds interest. My guess would been some type of grater.
Like the balance of light and dark here and how the lighting appears to make it contort

Many thanks for all the comments, Emma, yes this is a washing machine drum :) Missus was looking at me in an odd way when I was doing it

Roll on the next week

Captive
by Shark Seeker, on Flickr

Really struggled for time this week and couldn't get out and do what I would have liked, but to keep things rolling here is 'something'

As everyone was showing their teddies/lego captive I thought there might be a ransom letter from their captors, letters cut from a paper/magazine etc, so here it is 'Capture' in that format.

Good idea Lee, off the beaten track as it were (y)

I've sorted your linky for you, and you have done it with "My etc"
have a read HERE to refresh your memory :)

Like the captive image, as a very small critique I would perhaps have preferred either a slight deeper DOF so that the e at the end was just a little more in focus or the focus point moved back a bit. That's just personal preference though.

Like the captive image, as a very small critique I would perhaps have preferred either a slight deeper DOF so that the e at the end was just a little more in focus or the focus point moved back a bit. That's just personal preference though.

Steve, thanks for the comments, I totally agree with you, I've taken this into account for my next theme picture

Metal, b+w works well, nice dof and lighting, I like it..
Captive, B+w a great choice here, I like the picture. perhaps a little more dof to bring the e into focus.

Many thanks, appreciate you stopping by and making some comments

Me too ....tried four ideas so far and dont like any of them :(

Just thought of a new one, I'm all ready to give it a go tomorrow evening

Miniature
by Shark Seeker, on Flickr

Had a few different attempts this week at different subjects, really struggled to get something that I liked and with the evenings dark, once past the weekend I find myself quite limited.

So here is a picture of my youngest, as my mum says he is a mini(ature) me!

I tried the technique where only half the face is lit with the flash off camera (don't know the technique name), couldn't get it to work and he didn't give me much time to try it, so flash on top of the camera and click away whilst he was watching TV before bed.

Any pointers on how to improve would be much appreciated

Captive: can't go wrong with a bold black and white piece! Like the way the DOF drops off too.

Miniature: overall nicely lit but without eye contact, a little eerie.

Jason, I know what you mean, a little hard tonight as he was tired and didn't really want to play ball :)

That's a great natural portrait and nicely lit too. I'd be very happy with that Lee.

Jason, I know what you mean, a little hard tonight as he was tired and didn't really want to play ball :)

I can feel your pain as well. I have an 8yr old boy who just never poses (and mainly disappears) when a camera comes out. I've given up trying to get posed shots and just go for candid when he's not looking.

I like the shot overall, The way you have isolated him from the background (assume with the flash) and I like the angle you have used. The dressing gown/onsie adds interest to the shot as well. A couple of points, on my screen it looks like you might have slightly missed the focus on his eyes. As you were using flash you could have used a slightly larger DOF. He is obviously very engaged with whatever was on TV but not sure that helps with his expression, I tend to try and capture candid's of the kids when they are laughing/messing around as their faces tend to be more expressive. Having said that, I would still have been happy with a shot like that if it was one of mine, knowing how hard it can be to get a shot of them at all.

Oh I know, I've got three boys 2,3 &8 and they all refuse to cooperate
Its bad enough with 2, hats off to you with 3 :)
That's a great natural portrait and nicely lit too. I'd be very happy with that Lee.
Many thanks Carl, appreciate the comments
I can feel your pain as well. I have an 8yr old boy who just never poses (and mainly disappears) when a camera comes out. I've given up trying to get posed shots and just go for candid when he's not looking.

I like the shot overall, The way you have isolated him from the background (assume with the flash) and I like the angle you have used. The dressing gown/onsie adds interest to the shot as well. A couple of points, on my screen it looks like you might have slightly missed the focus on his eyes. As you were using flash you could have used a slightly larger DOF. He is obviously very engaged with whatever was on TV but not sure that helps with his expression, I tend to try and capture candid's of the kids when they are laughing/messing around as their faces tend to be more expressive. Having said that, I would still have been happy with a shot like that if it was one of mine, knowing how hard it can be to get a shot of them at all.
Steve, I think you may be correct about the focus, slightly out. I need to do more shots of the kids as they grow up so quickly and before I know it they will be asking for a car :)
Hi Lee ...I think this would have also been suitable for Captive, as Jason says it is a little eerie in a way, the look in his big brown eyes and the shark dressing gown really give it effect.
Thanks Susie, If I got a smile I probably could have used it as 'Happy' as well
Like it. Nicely composed and liking the lighting.

Cheers.
Many thanks @posiview , your avatar, whats that technique called, thats what I was trying to do initially and I want to have another go at it

Back