weekly Longimanus 52 of 2016 - Wk 37 added - Still playing catchup though

@pjm1 many thanks for the detailed information, I don't have a reflector of any sorts, may look into this in future and see what I can do next time.

I bet you do, Lee... When I started to play with product shots in 2014, I stuck two sheets of white A4 (i.e. A3 arrangement) to some cardboard. That did fine as a free reflector for smaller setups as long as you have somewhere to keep it straight. No need to spend a thing! But bear in mind I also made a diffuser from a lampshade and some baby muslin, so take what I say with a pinch of salt!

Living world,
Very nice Lee (y)

Lovely image Lee and so well composed with that fg interest and thirds. Spot on for the theme. :clap:

Living world - nice reflections and a good fit for the theme.

Abandoned - lovely dark rendition of a beautiful (yet neglected) old building - like it !

Camo - took me a while :p - nice, sharp and colurful, nice :)

Dangerous - love the trail and the lack of people I think really adds to quite a striking image - well sone

Topical - nice and minimalist but the shadow adds a nice extra bit of mood and sinister-ness to it - :D

The living world - lovely image but cant help think it needs a slight CW rotation / leveling of the water line - notwithstanding that a fantastic image

Nice work Lee ... wide angle portrait orientation to great effect. (y)

Hi Lee,
Good use of leading lines though oddly I'm drawn to the green rock in the foreground, so perhaps a square crop (with the ducks on the bottom 1/3rd line) might have been slightly better?

Living world, I really want to like it: moody sky, nice water and ducks...:) But, I'd prefer the FG rocks were out of the frame.

Cheers.

Hi Lee :)

Looks like you had similar weather to that we had in the Lake District !!! but hey, looks like you still got some good images, a nice moody sky, personally I would clone out the buoys (a bit picky that) but I like the inclusion of the ducks, and a real nice reflection too... very addictive isn't it (y)

Topical. Strong colours, pin sharp and great dead space. Like that a lot.

The Living World....Just a lovely shot. Like DK I might clone out the buoys, but nothing more.

Topical - good take on the theme and a great picture

Living world - Fantastic shot, beautiful scenery the ducks are not the main focal point but I wouldn't change it the scenery is living too.

Green Lizard
by Shark Seeker, on Flickr

A bit of a cop out this week, not got much time so an image from my trip to Sri Lanka in Dec 15 with the family.

This was taken in the Sinharaja Forest Reserve on Christmas Day, makes a change from the normal Christmas in the UK

The lizard has some spiky bits on it :)

My second item this week as well is not a re-shoot, but instead a re-process on my living world image after some of the comments you all made.

I have straightened the image and cloned out the buoy, but kept the foreground as I quite liked it

Living World

Living world,
Very nice Lee (y)
Lovely image Lee and so well composed with that fg interest and thirds. Spot on for the theme. :clap:
Good choice of subject for all the reasons you mention Lee. I think both the composition and lighting are good - a nice soft shadow cast. May want to avoid that crease in the bg paper by using curved A3 size paper (or the back of a roll of wallpaper for that matter). Good though. :clap:

Living world - nice reflections and a good fit for the theme.

Love the Living World image, great composition and dof from foreground to infinity.

Abandoned - lovely dark rendition of a beautiful (yet neglected) old building - like it !

Camo - took me a while :p - nice, sharp and colurful, nice :)

Dangerous - love the trail and the lack of people I think really adds to quite a striking image - well sone

Topical - nice and minimalist but the shadow adds a nice extra bit of mood and sinister-ness to it - :D

The living world - lovely image but cant help think it needs a slight CW rotation / leveling of the water line - notwithstanding that a fantastic image

Love the living world image, but i agree it is in need of a very slight starightening :)

Nice work Lee ... wide angle portrait orientation to great effect. (y)

I agree too!

Hi Lee,
Good use of leading lines though oddly I'm drawn to the green rock in the foreground, so perhaps a square crop (with the ducks on the bottom 1/3rd line) might have been slightly better?

Living world, I really want to like it: moody sky, nice water and ducks...:) But, I'd prefer the FG rocks were out of the frame.

Cheers.

Hi Lee :)

Looks like you had similar weather to that we had in the Lake District !!! but hey, looks like you still got some good images, a nice moody sky, personally I would clone out the buoys (a bit picky that) but I like the inclusion of the ducks, and a real nice reflection too... very addictive isn't it (y)

Topical. Strong colours, pin sharp and great dead space. Like that a lot.

The Living World....Just a lovely shot. Like DK I might clone out the buoys, but nothing more.

Topical - good take on the theme and a great picture

Living world - Fantastic shot, beautiful scenery the ducks are not the main focal point but I wouldn't change it the scenery is living too.

Fabulous shot and absolutely perfect for the Living World theme .....beautiful location.

Again many thanks for all the comments

Typical that I re-read all the comments again after my re-process and then notice the other buoys, DOH :)

Last edited:
Love spiky. Great close up nad colours are fab. Nice landscape too. Very envious of that as I have yet to take an half decent landscape image.

Gaz

Of course it's Spiky - lovely detail, great vibrant colour. Nicely done Lee. :clap:

Spiky, cracking shot Lee, (y)
I'm thinking its a bearded dragon, right part of the world, but they aren't normally that vivid.

Hi all thanks for all the comments, @Cobra I think its a Common Green Forest Lizard.

It was great finding all the different animals in the forest, the kids loved it!

Hi Lee, that lizard is a belter. I'm in admiration for those of you who do great animal shots as it's a type of photography I've never really attempted. But I can appreciate the technicals on your shot and, wow, does it have some proper punch! Don't mind about the more tenuous theme link - it's a superb shot and a very powerful image. Reshoot also works, but I'd rather spend time looking at that lizard shot personally... :clap:

@Dark Knight Sorry for the lack of posts, been busy doing DIY, still had the camera out though, just not doing any processing, will promise to catchup soon

Effort

Effort, It took a lot of effort to get out of bed early in the morning to get down the beach and capture this, love watching the sun come up though!

Technology

Technology, I decided to grab a PCB board from work and have play with the macro lens, this is the latest product that we are manufacturing at present

Last edited:
So a bit of a catch up as been busy with many things lately, aiming to get back on track in the next few week, hope you all like :)

Back