weekly Manc Man's 52 for 2015 - Week 9 - Close Up added.

Macro is relatively new to me too. I bought a Cosina lens for £40 last year. The optics are great and give incredibly sharp details but the AF is pretty much non existent.

Macro stacking software is quite fun too.

First time doing macro. I will have to research macro stacking, i gather its taking a number of photos of the same subject but with various focus points.. ending up with the whole subject in focus.

Hey Darren - Great shot with a new lens! (I want one now![emoji23]) and you've got some lovely detail in the flower. Either version works for me really.

That's right, I trialed the zerene stacker and got some pleasing results. I managed without any focus rails or anything like that but I can see them being a great help if you are heavily into macro work

Hey Darren - Great shot with a new lens! (I want one now![emoji23]) and you've got some lovely detail in the flower. Either version works for me really.

Thank you Fergie, having not done it before it was quite hatting used to the shallow DoF, but it was fun.
Think my macro lens could be getting used for some water drops.

Yep lovely image and fits the theme well. I prefer the first photo myself the poor thing looks cramped in on the second but hey ho :)

Gaz

Hi Darren - two lovely shots with your new lens. I prefer the first of the two - I can't explain why, it just works better than the cropped version for me

Yep lovely image and fits the theme well. I prefer the first photo myself the poor thing looks cramped in on the second but hey ho :)

Gaz

Thank you Gary, i also prefer #1 i think its because its not so cramped.

Hi Darren - two lovely shots with your new lens. I prefer the first of the two - I can't explain why, it just works better than the cropped version for me

Thank you Lorraine.
Just need to get it used a little more... :)

Hi Darren, great minds think alike!! :)

You've done well for your first time using a macro lens, I prefer the first one but I do like shote with space around them! My macro lens is one of my favourites to use though dof takes a bit of getting used to!
You've done well to get detail in the petals against a dark background. I look forward to seeing your macro work develop this year!!

Hi Darren, great minds think alike!! :)

You've done well for your first time using a macro lens, I prefer the first one but I do like shote with space around them! My macro lens is one of my favourites to use though dof takes a bit of getting used to!
You've done well to get detail in the petals against a dark background. I look forward to seeing your macro work develop this year!!

thank you Sarah. I do think this lens could grow on my.
I need to get away from being a 1 trick pony (Equine)

Fragile - nice image, works well for the the theme. The crop version works well for me, my only niggle is the flowers have a slight yellow tinge to them. It would be nice to have them a little whiter, I look forward to your next image.

Fragile - nice image, works well for the the theme. The crop version works well for me, my only niggle is the flowers have a slight yellow tinge to them. It would be nice to have them a little whiter, I look forward to your next image.

Thank you Mandy, but my kitchen it cream, that might explain the slight tinge.

I prefer the original shot with a bit of 'breathing' space. Nice take on the theme.

Cheers Stan. i also prefer the original.

Playing catch up, bit of a late comer to 52...
Bliss..... Whatever you do don't sit back down! It's ok I'm not taking the Bliss...
Nice shot, brave man gunga din! Like the dof, nicely picked up label couldn't have been a better fit eh! That's what I call thinking out of the box. Well done.

Fragile.... I think I like the cropped version better, your new lens is doing a good job! Can't say why the square crop appeals more, fits the bill for the subject fine... Nice shot!

Cheers
Steve

Nice image and a super shallow DoF. Knowing how small these are that's not the easiest thing to do. The lighting is nice as is the choice of surface.

There's no pleasing everyone as I prefer #1 :D Well shot with your new lens (y) Minor niggle for me is a couple of the stems sticking up/out into the frame.

Hi Darren - nice image for Fragile there. Works well and I actually like both, with perhaps a tiny leaning towards the wider shot. Shadows are perhaps a tiny bit distracting but otherwise well lit and shot. I like the narrow DOF which is just as well because that's what you get with macro!

Nicely done and looking forward to your future shots too :)

Hi Darren - nice image for Fragile there. Works well and I actually like both, with perhaps a tiny leaning towards the wider shot. Shadows are perhaps a tiny bit distracting but otherwise well lit and shot. I like the narrow DOF which is just as well because that's what you get with macro!

Nicely done and looking forward to your future shots too :)

Cheers Paul..

Great start to your new macro lens, prefer the 1st edit with more room, love the shadows, not keen on the empty stems, but guess they do contribute towards the overall theme of how fragile nature is.

:wave: Good to see you here Darren!

Bliss : I think you were right with your own crit about getting a lower angle on the bottle, but :D made me smile!

Fragile : Great to see you enjoying the new lens - and looks like you're putting it to good use.
I know how small gypsophelia flower heads are, so well done on getting that much detail and focus.

Great start to your new macro lens, prefer the 1st edit with more room, love the shadows, not keen on the empty stems, but guess they do contribute towards the overall theme of how fragile nature is.

Thank you Hazel, i also prefer the first one.

Bliss - cheeky! Good story for the theme :)

Fragile - I think I prefer the uncropped version of the picture, either way well composed, good light and angles.

Thank you Alex..

:wave: Good to see you here Darren!

Bliss : I think you were right with your own crit about getting a lower angle on the bottle, but :D made me smile!

Fragile : Great to see you enjoying the new lens - and looks like you're putting it to good use.
I know how small gypsophelia flower heads are, so well done on getting that much detail and focus.

Thank you Sarah...
I wanted to do a re shoot, but 3 cold showers was enough lol.
Yeh the macro lens is a whole new world... DoF is so crazy. Will take some time getting the hang of it.

Scenic.

Well i had a lovely evening yesterday with Lynne (@blondie606) at Media City. Weather wasn't on our side.

I was tempted to post one for that evening, but decided to visit a local waterfall, so up at 06.00 and off i went.
Happy with what i have managed to get, just cant make my mind up between the three of them.

#1 Scenic - Waterfall

#
2 Scenic Sunshine

The Scenic Path

IMG_0025 by Darren Paul Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, three nice shots 2 and 3 for me with 2 just shading it, well done for getting up at that time of the morning well worth it.

Hi Darren... I'm also in the #2 camp - the sun burst is just right for me and the light you have on the bracken at the right is lovely. I'd be happy with them all, but #2 for me! Great shot.

Thank you Paul, my fav is also #2 purely for the natural light over the ferns...

Hi, three nice shots 2 and 3 for me with 2 just shading it, well done for getting up at that time of the morning well worth it.

Thank you Allan...

Hi, I like #3, but it's #1 for me. I like the low angle, well exposed, nice detail. Not sure if it was possible to compose differently to loose the RH rock :thinking:

Nice movement in the water.

Cheers.

Hi Darren - number 3 for me - I love that sunburst through the trees

Cheers Lorraine

Hi, I like #3, but it's #1 for me. I like the low angle, well exposed, nice detail. Not sure if it was possible to compose differently to loose the RH rock :thinking:

Nice movement in the water.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, Nothing i could do about the rock as the log is resting on more on the left. I felt that was the better of the 2 evils.

I like all three. The snow in 1 looks just a bit over exposed. You done very well on 2 shooting into the sun but still able to capture the colours of the tresses, branches and snow. I particularly like the rays and shadows of the fence in 3.

Thank you Stan, i would have to agree with you about the snow being slightly over exposed.

Back