weekly Manc Man's 52 for 2015 - Week 9 - Close Up added.

Companions - Super shot. This definitely hits the theme. You’ve captured a real connection between the horse and the girl. The horse’s head angled and bent round towards the girl and the smiling face really interact with each other. Nice one Darren.

Elegant - Good focus and lighting on the statue but I feel the background being very stark white has left it floating and cut out somewhat.

Watery - Out of the three it’s the last one that I feel is the strongest. For me just small crop on the right to remove the building is all that’s needed

Watery - Out of the three it’s the last one that I feel is the strongest. For me just small crop on the right to remove the building is all that’s needed

This. Your first two lack a focal point as mentioned, but for me - the lateral view is also very flat - like a Neapolitan ice cream if you know what I mean. All three layers the same. Maybe a quick swim out to that red (buoy?) might have given you a nice subject or better point of view. :p

The third one though might appear to be similar but it "reads" much better to me. I like the left hand edge starting with clouds and moving through to the landscape itself. I also like the fact the building is there to provide a bit of human context. The blues are much more vibrant too. Super stuff.

Companions - Super shot. This definitely hits the theme. You’ve captured a real connection between the horse and the girl. The horse’s head angled and bent round towards the girl and the smiling face really interact with each other. Nice one Darren.

Elegant - Good focus and lighting on the statue but I feel the background being very stark white has left it floating and cut out somewhat.

Thank you Peter.. Totally agree re BG on Elegant.

This. Your first two lack a focal point as mentioned, but for me - the lateral view is also very flat - like a Neapolitan ice cream if you know what I mean. All three layers the same. Maybe a quick swim out to that red (buoy?) might have given you a nice subject or better point of view. :p

The third one though might appear to be similar but it "reads" much better to me. I like the left hand edge starting with clouds and moving through to the landscape itself. I also like the fact the building is there to provide a bit of human context. The blues are much more vibrant too. Super stuff.

Thank you Ian.

I too like your final shot. Maybe a touch oversaturated, but it has more interest. I'd like to see more of the building to the right, as well.

Thank you Paul.

Has been a busy week this week, and just couldn't get my head in to gear.

This time i didn't want to view other photo of the same theme until i had submitted my own photo, managed to stick to it.

I had no idea what i was going to shoot.. Bold colours kept springing to mind. Time was ticking by and getting hectic at work...... the pow, i remembered a post that @Cobra put up when the watery discussion was going on...

So here it is... Lame i know. But used a flash and reflector and these are things i never use. So yes an easy subject but out of my comfort zone.
If i do get time i will do something else.

WEEK 7 - BOLD
by Darren Paul Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Similar thing has been done already and they both fit the theme very well.

Great minds indeed ;)
Very nice Darren.
I'm glad I helped in some small way, now if someone would just help me? :D

I think I'd have been tempted to crop a little more off the top to lose the OoF feet, and the white bin(?)
He certainly does look relaxed, nice light there too Darren (y)

Ugh, nice belly! Pretty relaxed though.

relax ... love it ... the ultimate people pic.

vertical ... the Hitchcock look-a-like should have made more of those shadows on the wall.

relax ... love it ... the ultimate people pic.

vertical ... the Hitchcock look-a-like should have made more of those shadows on the wall.

Thank you David.
When i fisrt took the photo and opened it up on the computer i didn't like the shadows, but the more i look at them the more i like them...
I have another idea up my sleeve, will try that on Sunday evening when i am working nights

thank you again for taking time to visit and comment :)

Hi Darren

Relax - just a slight crop from the top or, failing that it just needs a straighten as it is a touch high on the RHS. Well spotted (y)

Vertical(ly) challenged :D, could also come under 'Cruel and Unusual Behaviour'

Hehe, that's cruel.
Not sure what to add other than to agree with the other comment about the vertical shadows being off of the vertical. But that could be the lighting rather than the photo needing rotation.

Hi Darren,

relax - nice shot, well on theme

vertical(lly) challenged - great idea for the theme, and I agree with Bruja - it would fit with crueal & unusual if that ever comes up :)

Hi, relax, not a fan sorry of street photography so will leave comment to people who are

Vertical is quite amusing you have done your own crit regarding shadows, I kind of agree with the comment above "cruel and unusual behaviour" but funny

Hi, Darren, Vertical, looks a little dark and I cropped to emphasis and it felt better to me.

I do like it, though, the power of the tall...bet she ate them all, though :)

Cheers.

Vertical did male me laugh....cruel indeed :)
I don't mind the shadows.

Verrtical, yes...but I think there is just a touch of the horizontal in there perhaps ;).

Vertical... Didn't notice the shadows until you mentioned them then thought "Wonder what the shot would be like with *just* the shadows?"

Spot on the theme, and I'd probably have tried cropping quite severely narrow to emphasise the verticality (new word) There's nothing of interest going on outside of the subject(s) so it might be worth a shot to see what it would look like.

Vertical, lol very good, a nice take on the theme Darren :)

Hi Darren

Relax - just a slight crop from the top or, failing that it just needs a straighten as it is a touch high on the RHS. Well spotted (y)

Vertical(ly) challenged :D, could also come under 'Cruel and Unusual Behaviour'

Hehe, that's cruel.
Not sure what to add other than to agree with the other comment about the vertical shadows being off of the vertical. But that could be the lighting rather than the photo needing rotation.

Hi Darren,

relax - nice shot, well on theme

vertical(lly) challenged - great idea for the theme, and I agree with Bruja - it would fit with crueal & unusual if that ever comes up :)

Hi, relax, not a fan sorry of street photography so will leave comment to people who are

Vertical is quite amusing you have done your own crit regarding shadows, I kind of agree with the comment above "cruel and unusual behaviour" but funny

Hi Darren,

really nicely caught!

Karl

Hi, Darren, Vertical, looks a little dark and I cropped to emphasis and it felt better to me.

I do like it, though, the power of the tall...bet she ate them all, though :)

Cheers.

Vertical did male me laugh....cruel indeed :)
I don't mind the shadows.

Verrtical, yes...but I think there is just a touch of the horizontal in there perhaps ;).

Vertical... Didn't notice the shadows until you mentioned them then thought "Wonder what the shot would be like with *just* the shadows?"

Spot on the theme, and I'd probably have tried cropping quite severely narrow to emphasise the verticality (new word) There's nothing of interest going on outside of the subject(s) so it might be worth a shot to see what it would look like.

Vertical, lol very good, a nice take on the theme Darren :)

Apologies for the late response i have been working nights...
Thank you very much everyone. All your comments have been taken on board.
Using an off camera flash is something i wouldn't normally use.. Lighting is my biggest downfall as not something I use in my photography, but i have told myself for this challenge that is something i will use a lot more...
Edits added.

Last edited:
Hi Darren :)

Sorry... quick catch up from me, struggling to catch up :)

Watery - I was confused with the first image, but the second is really nice, personally I would have cloned out the red buoys, other than that a real nice scene, the 3rd version is even better :)

Bold - Just enough boldness to make it stand out and good use of the narrow DoF, nice idea mate :)

Relax - Love this one, I actually like the grassy top edge and would have just cloned out the bits to the RH side :)

A real good capture, liking the wide crop and the strong light - Nice One (y)

Vertical - Now this really made me laugh, as for Hitchcock I thought it more Hancock :D a great fun take on the theme :)

Hi Darren :)

Sorry... quick catch up from me, struggling to catch up :)

Watery - I was confused with the first image, but the second is really nice, personally I would have cloned out the red buoys, other than that a real nice scene, the 3rd version is even better :)

Bold - Just enough boldness to make it stand out and good use of the narrow DoF, nice idea mate :)

Relax - Love this one, I actually like the grassy top edge and would have just cloned out the bits to the RH side :)

A real good capture, liking the wide crop and the strong light - Nice One (y)

Vertical - Now this really made me laugh, as for Hitchcock I thought it more Hancock :D a great fun take on the theme :)

Cheers Dean

I love your relax pic, not sure I prefer the crop though :thinking:

Back