weekly Manc Man's 52 for 2015 - Week 9 - Close Up added.

Hi, agree with Andy above the 1st one looks cut out if you know what I mean nothing to ground it
the second on both horse and rider very elegant indeed though again BG little distracting, but it fits the theme perfectly

Hi, agree with Andy above the 1st one looks cut out if you know what I mean nothing to ground it
the second on both horse and rider very elegant indeed though again BG little distracting, but it fits the theme perfectly

Thank you Allan
#1 was taken with statue sat on a piece of white card and with a piece of white card, i increased the levels to over expose the card to make the statue stand out more...

Hi Darren,

both shots are well on theme.

The first shot's very good, I agree with the distractions in the second shot, so it's #1 for me

#1 for me because of the (already mentioned) busy bg in #2.

I feel it needs grounding because it is mounted on a base. If it wasn't then the all white background may work better :rolleyes:

Hi Darren .......I do really like the bronze horse but he does look a bit floaty, I wonder if you put a simple frame around it it would give it more definition on the page. That's a fabulous white background, I've been trying that this week without much success, yours looks great.

Hi Darren .......I do really like the bronze horse but he does look a bit floaty, I wonder if you put a simple frame around it it would give it more definition on the page. That's a fabulous white background, I've been trying that this week without much success, yours looks great.

I cheated Susie. I selected the statue, then inverted the selection and adjusted the levels. One of the joys of photoshop.

Hi Darren,

I think that Number 1 is a far better photography than number 2 for reasons that have already been amply covered. Background far too busy etc. Number 1 is a good image and I am not put off by the white background at all. However, elegant is not the word that comes to mid. Powerful would be a better fit. Still you can't have everything! Good work

No 2 rings more elegant than No1 but that's just my opinion ;-)

Elegant - 1 for me as well as the bg In the second image is distracting.

Hi Darren,

I think that Number 1 is a far better photography than number 2 for reasons that have already been amply covered. Background far too busy etc. Number 1 is a good image and I am not put off by the white background at all. However, elegant is not the word that comes to mid. Powerful would be a better fit. Still you can't have everything! Good work

Cheers everyone... Thanks for the comments and for taking the time to look
Must admit i wasn't happy with #1 myself..

Nothing wrong with the first pic for me (y)

I wanted to do your second shot as my elegant but I have no idea or the time to find a horse and rider in February :thinking:

Hmmm, #1 has wonderful shadows but not too keen on the floating feel.

#2, Elegant indeed. A little better separation would be idea.

Cheers.

Have to agree here.
It's a lovely bronze though :)

Very good!
Almost had to stand on my head to make sure it was what I thought it was :)
Fits the theme very well.

That first one made my eyes go funny Darren :D
I can see what you were trying to do with it,
but as above its shame there wasn't a boat or loch ness monster or something in there as a focal point.
Nice image non the less though (y)

Very good!
Almost had to stand on my head to make sure it was what I thought it was :)
Fits the theme very well.

nice idea but lacks a little focal point for me

Watery - I have to agree with the above.

That first one made my eyes go funny Darren :D
I can see what you were trying to do with it,
but as above its shame there wasn't a boat or loch ness monster or something in there as a focal point.
Nice image non the less though (y)

Cheers everyone.

Totally agree with comments about the focal point.

Idea was there, but the execution let me down.

On the plus side i got out with my camera as was determined no to do another indoor photo for the theme.

Last edited:
Good image Darren but agree with general assessment that it lacks that critical focal point. However extra points for getting outside in the fresh air!

nice shot Darren. I think I prefer the second, the first was a bit confusing. I's a shame about the lack of a focal point, but
well done on venturing outside :)

Good image Darren but agree with general assessment that it lacks that critical focal point. However extra points for getting outside in the fresh air!

nice shot Darren. I think I prefer the second, the first was a bit confusing. I's a shame about the lack of a focal point, but
well done on venturing outside :)

Thank you for you comments, and thank you for taking time to visit.

Guess i could have inserted a boat or focal point in PP when i got home, but that would defeat the idea of me taking part in this challenge

Last edited:
HI Darren

Watery.....really sorry but the upside down image doesn't work for me at all , at 1st I thought you'd applied some sort of PS effect .
The original version however, I think has potential ,as a Reflections shot which I'm quite partial to , no real focus point but just a beautiful view........I've been cheeky &, as you have YES for edit photo's , done a quick & dirty edit....possibly a bit ott but working with a low res jpeg is always tricky....I'll take it down if you'd prefer (y)

View attachment 30523

HI Darren

Watery.....really sorry but the upside down image doesn't work for me at all , at 1st I thought you'd applied some sort of PS effect .
The original version however, I think has potential ,as a Reflections shot which I'm quite partial to , no real focus point but just a beautiful view........I've been cheeky &, as you have YES for edit photo's , done a quick & dirty edit....possibly a bit ott but working with a low res jpeg is always tricky....I'll take it down if you'd prefer (y)
View attachment 30523

no worries Lynne @blondie606

the more i look at it the more i
dislike it. Guess i made the fatal mistake and thought about the theme too much..

funny, did this on Sunday, after i had posted my original image..

this is a low res image.
IMG_0296 by Darren Paul Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Like me, this challenge is getting you out and about and deciding not to do an indoor shot. And yes, overthinking it can mess it up a bit. This is my longwinded way of saying I also prefer the SOOC shot as I got a crick in my neck trying to figure out which way up it was.

Like me, this challenge is getting you out and about and deciding not to do an indoor shot. And yes, overthinking it can mess it up a bit. This is my longwinded way of saying I also prefer the SOOC shot as I got a crick in my neck trying to figure out which way up it was.

Totally agree Jill.
Think my problem was i had got the idea what i wanted in my head and i was going to post it no matter what.... BIG MISTAKE BY ME... My head was saying post it, but my hears was saying dont...

Back