weekly Marks 52 for 2015: Week 8 - RELAX added… I'm back!!!

Welcome back to photography Mark. Regarding your TP 52 well you know what they say 3rd time lucky!

Bliss.... Works for me Mark, yes I know the glass is a bit oof but I don't think it detracts that much yes might have been better pin sharp but.... I guess if there was a slight change of angle and your wife pushed her arm hard against the bath to steady it maybe.... It's always easy in retrospect isn't it!

I like the little pinpoints of light around the rim of the glass, top of the wine and on the edge of your wife's fingers, and the glow of the candles reflected in the tiles and bath. WB for me is fine I would have warmed it too.

Nice idea nice shot.

Hi, nice idea for bliss WB is ok for me it is after all candle light, fits the theme a nice start

I like that a lot Mark. I don't mind the wine glass being OOF - it's implying the wine is secondary to the candles which is probably a healthier assessment of bliss! WB isn't an issue for me for the reasons it appears you've made the original selection... adds to the warmth.

I like it!

Bliss - nice image for the theme and looks very well thought out and put together. I think the wine glass is a little bit soft, but I like the lighting.

Nice shot I too like the wine glass slightly out of focus (y)

I must admit to being undecided about the wine glass. Good composition and lighting though.

I like it too (y)

Perhaps I could convince hubby that filling the bath, lighting candle and bringing me wine in the bath is essential for this week's theme :p

Hi Mark

Like you Bliss shot....well lit , good focus , like the warm feel to it & you've handled the exposure well (y)

I'm not overly sure on the wine glass .....wonder if it would have worked being in her right hand ?

Mixed bag of opinions there regarding the wine glass and the WB. I have decided I like it just as is… I prefer it to be out of focus as I think it then directs attention to the bath and candles which is the main image feature.

Thank you all for your interest in my 52.

Funnily enough, when trying to think of content, this is what came to mind. I don't I could have done it as well though. Well done

Welcome back to photography Mark. Regarding your TP 52 well you know what they say 3rd time lucky!

Bliss.... Works for me Mark, yes I know the glass is a bit oof but I don't think it detracts that much yes might have been better pin sharp but.... I guess if there was a slight change of angle and your wife pushed her arm hard against the bath to steady it maybe.... It's always easy in retrospect isn't it!

I like the little pinpoints of light around the rim of the glass, top of the wine and on the edge of your wife's fingers, and the glow of the candles reflected in the tiles and bath. WB for me is fine I would have warmed it too.

Nice idea nice shot.

Hi, nice idea for bliss WB is ok for me it is after all candle light, fits the theme a nice start

Again… much appreciate your comments gents. Time to move on to Week 2's theme for me….

Hi all

Will be later in the week when I get a chance to come up with my fragile picture!

I've not had much chance this weekend to even think what I might do… I've just made a grave error also by looking at some peoples already submitted Fragile shots which have already covered some of the original ideas I had thought off…

I'll do my mind map tomorrow and prob shoot later in the week or even next weekend! At the moment the mind is Blankety blank!

Mark

Hi All

I took my time with this as I wanted to go a bit out the box… I thought about getting the china out and boxes with fragile labels on… but I decided I wanted to go deeper into the theme.

I began to think about how as humans we are fragile and easily hurt and violated! It got me thinking (and I don't know why) in particular about a woman after she is raped. They say they feel this desperate need to wash… and I guess in this picture i'm trying to capture the fragile nature of the subject after her ordeal. Maybe i've gone too deep I know… but I wanted to push my photography artistically as well as technically.

Technically it's not much of a shot… Hi ISO to achieve the grainy look… LED work lamp to create a better light than the bathrooms standard light… but I deliberately never used a flash as I wanted the light to appear quite natural… nifty 50 lens at a wide aperture… and just took it hand held. Deliberately had bathroom window open so as was cold to increase the stemming effect on the glass. Thanks again to my wife for modelling.

So here it is… Fragile

W02_LQ001 by markelliot77, on Flickr

Last edited:
hello Mark :)

week 1 bliss - I think the shot would work better without the wine glass at all unless you could find a way to light the glass. At first I though her knees were something else *ooer missus*
week 2 fragile - can't fault this shot tbh - the tight crop adds to the atmosphere :)

so, is your wifey person allowed out of the bathroom :D:p

I like the picture now I've read the background to your thinking but before I read it I didn't see the connection, that is possibly just me though.

Fragile - I agree with what your trying to convey with this image, unfortunately I can identify with the message whole heartidly. The image works well for the message your trying to send, I can't help but think it's maybe a touch to deep. Technically the photo is very good, I like everything about it.

Last edited:
Very atmospheric shot and good interpretation of the theme, appreciate you were limited for space and like the way the crop creates an oppressive feeling but I would like to see a little more space on the right/model's left.

Hi, powerful take on the theme. I get it and applaud you taking on a difficult topic.

High ISO works well and adds to the gritty nature of the theme.

Not sure how much room you had but it's a little close on the RHS.

Nice one on your wife for modelling.

Cheers.

hello Mark :)

week 1 bliss - I think the shot would work better without the wine glass at all unless you could find a way to light the glass. At first I though her knees were something else *ooer missus*
week 2 fragile - can't fault this shot tbh - the tight crop adds to the atmosphere :)

so, is your wifey person allowed out of the bathroom :D:p

I like the picture now I've read the background to your thinking but before I read it I didn't see the connection, that is possibly just me though.

Fragile - I agree with what your trying to convey with this image, unfortunately I can identify with the message whole heartidly. The image works well for the message your trying to send, I can't help but think it's maybe a touch to deep. Technically the photo is very good, I like everything about it.

Really good take on Fragile - I like it very much. :)

Very atmospheric shot and good interpretation of the theme, appreciate you were limited for space and like the way the crop creates an oppressive feeling but I would like to see a little more space on the right/model's left.

Understand you try to take on the theme from a different angle. We all different after all but I'm afraid you lost me there, however, it's a well executed shot nevertheless.

Initially I thought it's a continuity of the Bliss theme!

Hi, powerful take on the theme. I get it and applaud you taking on a difficult topic.

High ISO works well and adds to the gritty nature of the theme.

Not sure how much room you had but it's a little close on the RHS.

Nice one on your wife for modelling.

Cheers.

Hi All and many thanks for your comments and interest in my 52.

Just a few points to answer your feedback collectively.

Yes my wife gets out the bathroom…once in a while I even allow her to vote!

I liked the tighter crop also and was actually cut tight by my own choice… I will try a recrop later this week showing more on the left.

I guess it's a marmite shot where the theme is concerned you either follow my thoughts or you don't see it! I'm hoping to continue my 52 in this thought provoking way when the theme allows and I have the inspiration. However i'd rather leave the shot till later in the year if time or inspiration does not allow!

Thanks for your thoughts on the technical aspects of the shot… As I said I kept it fairly simple focusing my attention on the composition more.

I promise i'll try to fit in some commenting time on others later in the week. Work and family life been hectic this week.

Mark

Great image Mark. I saw your image first and then read your write up. Given that this matching my view on what you had intended with the image says it really has worked. The processing and use of the steamy shower doors also work well.

So when I first saw your image my first thoughts were of the shower scene in the old movie Psycho. Seems your interpretation is just as dark, if not more so. You have tackled a dark subject I think but a big part of photography is to tell a story. In that respect it's no different to a crime drama tackling the same, very difficult subject. I think you have done this very well.

I think the photo its self is very good but I would just echo that it could do with a bit more on the right.

Good work, now get out and buy your wife some flowers for being such a star ;)

Agree with Peter I got the connection to the theme without reading which totally means the picture says exactly what you wanted it to.
Great shot (y)

Wow Mark, that's one hell of an image. Very very emotive subject and absolutely nailed on theme. I first saw the image on my phone without reading your explanation and it immediately jumped out at me - so that's a bit tick for the ability of your shot to communicate. I don't think many will want to hang that image because of the very deep message it conveys, but that doesn't stop it being brilliant take on the theme and superbly powerful. Well done :clap:

I understood the theme fairly well before I read your thoughts behind it. I didn't pin the feelings to rape, but got the emotion strongly.

Now I've read your thoughts too I can't help but imagine that the shadow showing behind her in the top right hand corner is the shadow of her attacker lingering. I'm probably thinking far, far too much into this, but for me it just completes the image.

Hi All

Just a note to say i'm still in! Things have been hectic the past two weeks and i've not had the time to shoot.

However i've realised my 52 might not be delivered in order… for instance I may not shoot my final scenic submission till the end of the year… It just depends how the pictures roll this year and when I get my time… especially for landscape which is a time consuming business... which will prob come in fits and bursts! I've a good few pics i've already shot which I'm happy with just waiting for the right theme to come along. I know what i'm doing for companion… I just need to get a time when I can go round and shoot a portrait of my mum and her dog! I've also been reading a book which @pjm1 recommended on light… which I want to put into practice this year… so I guess I'm on the steep end of the learning curve with that at the moment…

So @Dark Knight please never delete me from the spreadsheet… I'm fully committed to finishing the year delivering a full set of 52 pics… It's just they may not come in order and some weeks many and some none!

I know that's prob not the ideal way for me to do the 52 and won't really fit in with the rest of the pack… but it's the way that will work for me.

I hope you still all will comment and take an interest in my 52… even though it may not arrive in any logical order.

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark :)

Bliss - Now that does look a blissful bathing scene, for a long exposure the glass looks fine to me and I don;t mind the colour either, it adds a nice atmosphere for me as if from the candles :)

Fragile - Very deep thought in this, well posed by your wife with the remit given, like the lighting and overall look, again a good idea for the theme :)

Hi All

Just a note to say i'm still in! Things have been hectic the past two weeks and i've not had the time to shoot.

However i've realised my 52 might not be delivered in order… for instance I may not shoot my final scenic submission till the end of the year… It just depends how the pictures roll this year and when I get my time… especially for landscape which is a time consuming business... which will prob come in fits and bursts! I've a good few pics i've already shot which I'm happy with just waiting for the right theme to come along. I know what i'm doing for companion… I just need to get a time when I can go round and shoot a portrait of my mum and her dog! I've also been reading a book which @pjm1 recommended on light… which I want to put into practice this year… so I guess I'm on the steep end of the learning curve with that at the moment…

So @Dark Knight please never delete me from the spreadsheet… I'm fully committed to finishing the year delivering a full set of 52 pics… It's just they may not come in order and some weeks many and some none!

I know that's prob not the ideal way for me to do the 52 and won't really fit in with the rest of the pack… but it's the way that will work for me.

I hope you still all will comment and take an interest in my 52… even though it may not arrive in any logical order.

Thanks Mark
Glad to hear your still in it Mark... It's your 52 so if that is how you are going to have to do it to work with your Rl then that is certainly fine, good luck with the rest, it sounds like a good plan to keep in it !!!

comment duly noted about not moving you down the board (y)

Hi All

Its been a hectic few weeks… but I am back!

Im sorry for missing out on adding comments to your pics also and i'll try to pick up this from here on! But no doubt i'll have other busy periods too…

I've actually taken a few pics when i've been out with my family the last few weeks but unfortunately not many fit in with the themes… but thankfully this did!

So I give you relax!

W08_LQ001 by markelliot77, on Flickr

Taken at the Scottish Dear Centre near Cupar. It's a Scottish Wildcat so defo not as cute as he looks. I caught this one relaxing in the sun!

Thanks for your interest in my 52!

Mark

A cat relaxing in the sun it fits the theme (y)

Certainly relaxed considering it appears to have a cataract; hopefully not, perhaps it's just the light.

Really nice shot Mark def fits the relax theme. Like how you can see the whiskers really well.

Very nice shot, the DoF really focuses you on the cat.
Isn't it amazing how without any other real references, that this cat could easily be mistaken for a pet rather than (I assume) a somewhat larger animal.

Hiya, well he's very relaxed isn't he? I agree with Tim, if you hadn't said it was a wldcat I'd have thought he was a pet. Nice shot

crikey wild cats let you see them (let alone get so close) lucky man :) lovely pic too

Hi Mark,

Catching up on comments, so whilst the feedback may not be awe inspiring, I hope the feedback is useful even if only a little.

Patterns - For me, its number one, great idea for the subject, like the interlinked leaves and it fits the theme well. I like the lighting and composition, but i may have cropped out a bit of the right hand side gap(where the light is showing, as my eye keeps getting drawn to that area), but this doesn't overly cause a problem and it still works really well.

Bliss - Works really well, I consideed doing something like this myself, but I don't think it would have come close to what you have here, so nice one on that. I think your DOF works fine, don't see the issue with the wine glass, and its how I would have tried to do it. I think the candle light works really well too, and would not have thought it would have lit the area as well as it did, so i've kind of learnt something there.

Fragile - Another good photo, in terms of its composition etc, it's just for me i would not tie that to 'fragile' per say, but i think the benefit and excitement in this challenege is its everyone's own interpretation, so if it fits your 'fragile' then its job done. I don't think my wife would be as understanding though as being in all my shots...lol

Relax - A good photo here, nice dof, perhaps a little sharper in the eyes may have helped, but i know it's not easy working with animals, suits the theme perfectly though!

Back