More Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam from LC2 for 2020 : Week 52 - Decorate(d)

Excellent shot of the tiny train great use of the full sized train for a BG

I love the colours in your cosplay portrait - the background is busy, but appropriate for the character, and the technique and pose is absolutely spot on.

Tiny is great - really made me smile. I love the background being a bigger/blurrier version of the subject. Very cleverly done!

Nice perspective, nicely shoe horned in, train Tim (y)
But of course :) Less of a shoe-horn than what I have planned for Artificial ;)
Liking the tiny shot Tim, very nicely done and good perspective.
Close - Far Away ;)
Tiny
Excellent job. Really like the background and the Railtrack.
Handy having that lying around eh? :)
Excellent shot of the tiny train great use of the full sized train for a BG
I should have removed the weed though, but too late after I'd gotten home and opened the shot in PS :/
I love the colours in your cosplay portrait - the background is busy, but appropriate for the character, and the technique and pose is absolutely spot on.

Tiny is great - really made me smile. I love the background being a bigger/blurrier version of the subject. Very cleverly done!
Busy yes, but deliberate. We wanted an urban background for Harley. A country park wouldn't have cut it.

Very nice Tim. I like the lighting and the shadows - they say autumn to me. If it were mine I think I would have cropped out the bit of sky.

I agree with the above comment take the little bit of sky out, the harsh shadows excellent works well in this it’s a really nice picture

Very nice Tim. I like the lighting and the shadows - they say autumn to me. If it were mine I think I would have cropped out the bit of sky.
I agree with the above comment take the little bit of sky out, the harsh shadows excellent works well in this it’s a really nice picture
Interesting. I left it in deliberately to balance the path at the bottom - completing the perspective top & bottom, rather than just having a block of foliage.
I do see where you're both coming from though
So many options I bet .. I hate to think :D
it will be safe for work ;)

That hits the nail on head, classic autumn leaves mix well with the sun and dark shadows. I like the contrast on the door, makes the picture for me.

Autumn works nicely with the house name fitting the edge of the foliage.

Yep - autumn box ticked and a nice door / gate!

Autumn
Really Great colours, shadows and textures. Maybe clone out or crop the sky.

Lovely autumnal colours - as already said I think I would have cropped the right a tad.

That hits the nail on head, classic autumn leaves mix well with the sun and dark shadows. I like the contrast on the door, makes the picture for me.
Autumn works nicely with the house name fitting the edge of the foliage.
Yep - autumn box ticked and a nice door / gate!
Love the colours in the autumn pic.

I think the focus falls off a little too sharply for me and I would have liked to have seen some of the foliage sharp, but that's really looking to nit pick.
Cheers, it was a deliberate composition including the gate as I wanted it to be about more than just leaves.
Autumn
Really Great colours, shadows and textures. Maybe clone out or crop the sky.
Lovely autumnal colours - as already said I think I would have cropped the right a tad.
As above, the sky was deliberately left in for balance reasons. I have since had a look at content aware filling and actually I don't like the results.
Feel free to have a play with the image yourselves though :) I suspect you'll come to a similar conclusion (or not as the case may be :) )

You managed to find the foliage colour that many of us were missing, and the door adds interest. I wish it were called Hard Edge for the shadows :) which I agree add to it.

Nowt to Crow about :)

Nice pic for the theme :)

Great idea. I thought it was just a stranger walking past!

Autumn - nice light and a really pleasing composition and certainly on theme.
Topical - well that's a different take on 'wear a mask', but suits the theme nicely.

I can image the looks you got in the graveyard, I would loved to have been in the background watching others faces.. B&W was the only choice for this photo, colour would not have done it justice or sent such a powerful message.

I really liked your autumn choice, very different for you the colours really pop.

Topical
Well even in these times of mask wearing, you'd still stand out in that mask.
It's a good setting in the graveyard and works well in black and white.

That's a great "plague" mask. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for this one. Nice b&w too.

Topical - not strange at all I like the sun catching the edges of the headstone although would have preferred it not to spill over the ground at the right

I agree that the hard lighting and shadows in your autumn photo are great. You have definitely achieved what you set out to get with the lovely autumn colours, but also something a bit different.

But your plague doctor is the stand-out shot of topical for me! Absolutely perfect for the theme, and the B&W suits it down to the ground. Perhaps those masks will make a come-back...

:LOL: I can picture it now. That is a hell of a mask. Suits the black and white treatment and you've chosen a good background.
A bloke in town here walks round with one of these, he gets some strange looks too. Nicely done.
Sounds like he's a sensible fella
Nowt to Crow about :)

Nice pic for the theme :)
excellent choice for the theme and a good setting
Great idea. I thought it was just a stranger walking past!
Autumn - nice light and a really pleasing composition and certainly on theme.
Topical - well that's a different take on 'wear a mask', but suits the theme nicely.
I didn't expect that from you but I like it, its different and definitely scare the s**t out of me if I come across it in a graveyard in the dark.
Tim

Great shot, a bizarre take on the theme, but so topical.

Pete
I'm a cosplayer. Kit like that is run of the mill :)
I can image the looks you got in the graveyard, I would loved to have been in the background watching others faces.. B&W was the only choice for this photo, colour would not have done it justice or sent such a powerful message.

I really liked your autumn choice, very different for you the colours really pop.
@minx was dressed pretty much all in black anyway, but yes I agree, B&W really was the way to go.
Topical
Well even in these times of mask wearing, you'd still stand out in that mask.
It's a good setting in the graveyard and works well in black and white.
That's a great "plague" mask. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for this one. Nice b&w too.
Topical - not strange at all I like the sun catching the edges of the headstone although would have preferred it not to spill over the ground at the right
Interesting, I'd not worried about the sun on the ground (it's actually raised gravestone rather than ground).
I agree that the hard lighting and shadows in your autumn photo are great. You have definitely achieved what you set out to get with the lovely autumn colours, but also something a bit different.

But your plague doctor is the stand-out shot of topical for me! Absolutely perfect for the theme, and the B&W suits it down to the ground. Perhaps those masks will make a come-back...
Cheers. Those masks aren't expensive (I think a tenner maybe?), but they are a pig to see out of, especially with glasses on underneath.

Nice plague doctor mask - must be a bit of a restrictive view out - hope she didn't trip over the graves!

Week 42 - Food + Technique

Lunch :)
Lit using a Yongnuo Air ProLED video light, bungied to the back of a small softbox to control the light and the softbox feathered across the front of the food to give low directional light.
Tightly cropped in by design (35mm lens, I could have gone a long way back if I'd wanted to, but I wanted the tight composition.
The background is a roll of stickyback blackboard draped over a filing box. We wondered if it would be too reflective, but it seems fine.

TP 52 for 2020 : Week 42- Food
by Tim White, on Flickr

Very nice! Lighting works really well and I like the composition. I always think these things are trickier than they look - I expect not getting blown highlights on the mushrooms was tricky.

Back