More Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam from LC2 for 2020 : Week 52 - Decorate(d)

Great colours in there Tim and a different take on the theme.

Leaves
I do like a lit up train. They make for a interesting long exposure shot.

Fab take on the theme :)
Thought you'd like it :)
There I was thinking it was the wrong kind of leaves on the line...

Great alternate take on the theme, and I'm looking forward to watching the iPlayer link.
Heh, the thought did cross my mind.
I thought it was leaves on the line too. What a lot of work to set that up. It must have looked spectacular.
It did. I took some long shots of it later in the week (didn't come out brilliantly) and rode on it last weekend.
Great idea of the theme - another one here thinking leaves on the line.. but then I commuted in London for years - old habits.
Lovely light trials and reflected light you've captured there.
Oddly, we did get someone turn up at the station a couple of months ago asking when the next train to Waterloo was.
The last one direct to Waterloo was 1937, and the last BR service was 1973.
Nice idea for the theme and the best pic I’ve seen of a train for a while
This year hasn't been the year for it.
Very nice Tim, I like the way the train has lit up the whole scene, nice colours too.
It lights up the countryside really well :)
Both nice images Tim, I do like a "night shot" (y)

And a cracking shoe horn to boot (y)
Ta Chris. But is it really a shoe-horn? More lateral thinking in my book!
Really like that Tim, great night shot and long exposure. Colours are great.
Thanks Michael. It's even more colourfull when not a long exposure.
Like your take on the theme and a lovely light trails shot.
Ta Stan
Great colours in there Tim and a different take on the theme.
I like to be different (some would say awkward).
Leaves
I do like a lit up train. They make for a interesting long exposure shot.
14000 leds :)
Nice take on the theme Tim and quite simply a lovely shot.
:) And from an angle 99.9% of people can't get as I was half way down the siding (with permission of the signal man).

Excellent portrait looks so much better on flickr too, and I don't even mind that its cosplay (y)

I would probably do a bit of work on the creases in the backcloth and whatever is in the bottom left and right corners but otherwise faultless

Excellent portrait looks so much better on flickr too, and I don't even mind that its cosplay (y)

I would probably do a bit of work on the creases in the backcloth and whatever is in the bottom left and right corners but otherwise faultless
Thanks Allan.
The backdrop could really do with being ironed, I must find a way to roll it rather than fold it.
A little cloning would sort the bottom corners, but on my screen at least, I can't see the flaws without upping the exposure, hence left as was.

Last edited:
Thanks Allan.
The backdrop could really do with being ironed, I must fins a way to roll it rather than fold it.
A little cloning would sort the bottom corners, but on my screen at least, I can't see the flaws without upping the exposure, hence left as was.
To be fair I can't see the bottom corners on here but I can on Flickr

Ta Chris. But is it really a shoe-horn? More lateral thinking in my book!
That's how shoe horns start and then there is no going back :D

Well, it had to be a Cosplay Portrait for showcase.
That's a cracking portrait Tim (y)
Oh, and she's just too damned cute to be "Harley" :D

To be fair I can't see the bottom corners on here but I can on Flickr
Argh, I can see them on Flickr now :( I really should replace it (fixed my local copy)
I can't see any problem with the corners here either. Fabulous portrait. Love her expression and lovely lighting and colours.
That's how shoe horns start and then there is no going back :D

That's a cracking portrait Tim (y)
Oh, and she's just too damned cute to be "Harley" :D
Agree that is a cracker of a portrait, and too cute for Harley.
Very nicely lit Tim. and I love the pose and her expression.
Lighting was simple really. Feathered 2' square softbox camera right as the main light, with fill from a white shoot through brolly camera left.
The main light was a fair bit higher than her, hence the fall-off camera right being more than camera left.

Showcase
It's a great looking portrait. I too like the expression and the pose.
As for the backdrop, instead of ironing I use a steamer bought from an outlet store (so was cheap-ish at £20), it allows me to hang the backdrop up and get rid of the creases in situ.

Your showcase portrait is absolutely lovely. I'm determined, when I both get back to the UK, and can mix with other people again, to explore portraits more, especially if family.

And your shoe horned sharp(e) is just perfect..!

Thanks for explaining the lighting Tim. It's something I'd like to explore one day too. I keep looking at lights, but worry I'd be too lazy to set them up and use them, and then there's the space you need.

Good play on words for Sharp(e). I went through a phase of reading all his books many years ago.

Yeah you :p

Neat twist Tim (y)
:)
Showcase
It's a great looking portrait. I too like the expression and the pose.
As for the backdrop, instead of ironing I use a steamer bought from an outlet store (so was cheap-ish at £20), it allows me to hang the backdrop up and get rid of the creases in situ.
Good idea, I will have to investigate that. I have to admit the thought of ironing, rolling and transporting is a bit daunting.
Your showcase portrait is absolutely lovely. I'm determined, when I both get back to the UK, and can mix with other people again, to explore portraits more, especially if family.

And your shoe horned sharp(e) is just perfect..!
Once you get over the initial fear of shooting people, it's brilliant..
Thanks for explaining the lighting Tim. It's something I'd like to explore one day too. I keep looking at lights, but worry I'd be too lazy to set them up and use them, and then there's the space you need.

Good play on words for Sharp(e). I went through a phase of reading all his books many years ago.
Space is the killer. I only usually get the space at Cardiff and Bristol Anime conventions (I must see about contacting other organisers in 2021 to see if I can get some space). But it's good to have the lights and backgrounds / stands. Came in really handy for my daughter's performing arts class' headshots for their programme (shame Covid cancelled it :( )

It was years ago when I last read any Tom Sharpe. I was quite surprised to be able to find even just this one.

Sharp:
A good shoehorn and a great reminder of books that made me laugh out loud when I first read them. Seems a long while since now though!

Nice showcase shot and yes - a very Victorian feel.

A great use of DoF Tim,
A collection that any self respecting cos player would be proud of too (y)

A great use of DoF Tim,
A collection that any self respecting cos player would be proud of too (y)
'tis only a small selection from my makeup kit :)
Nice PP, which Nik tool is that?
Analog Efex - Zoom & Rotate Blur
Nice colours, I bet your toe nails are stunning in that green.
Only in the summer. No point while I have boots on ;)
Showcase is a cracking portrait.
Sharp is just that, the product of a Sharpe wit!
Cheers. I do really like that Harley shot. Sharpe came out 'ok'.

Nicely caught up - I can only imagine your toenails during a beach summer... :oops: :$

Abstract is certainly that - but works well for this time of year.

I like the different take on Personal. The Nik software mades it a bit out of the ordinary.
Abstract. works well for the theme. Lacking a bit of contrast perhaps? Might just be on my monitor though.

Yes indeed finally, nice abstract though :)
Well, I thought I'd get it in before everyone else could ;)
Nicely caught up - I can only imagine your toenails during a beach summer... :oops: :$

Abstract is certainly that - but works well for this time of year.
Yes, I was quite please to see they produced star shapes. Not really visible to the human eye.
Very effective for an abstract. Well thought out.
Luck, it was all luck :)
Liking the abstract image Tim, just right.
Cheers Kodak :)
I like the different take on Personal. The Nik software mades it a bit out of the ordinary.
Abstract. works well for the theme. Lacking a bit of contrast perhaps? Might just be on my monitor though.
Yeah, it's not crystal sharp, but that's going to be due to the lights refracting around in the thick glass of the jar I feel, rather than anything else.

That makes a change from the usual sparkly stuff (y)

I've just looked through your last couple of pages Tim (although I have scanned through the whole Images Only thread so I think I've seen all of your images) and you've finished with some strong images.

The one for Paper was an unusual take on the theme and nice to see an old paper stand preserved like that. The 'Leaves' image is excellent and you did brilliantly to get such a striking image as I can't imagine you had the chance to practice; Decorate(d) is another different take on the theme and you've used perspective and DOF to good effect to lead the eye through the image, but the absolutely stand-out image is your Showcase. It is beautifully lit and - as you said - what a great expression. Thanks for telling us how you lit it too; like others have said, it's something I would like to try but have little idea where to start!

Looking forward to seeing your images next year.

Back