More Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam from LC2 for 2020 : Week 52 - Decorate(d)

Very nice! Lighting works really well and I like the composition. I always think these things are trickier than they look - I expect not getting blown highlights on the mushrooms was tricky.
Shining (some of) the LED through the small softbox restricted the light quite a lot, so it was actually easier than you'd think :)
Absolutely beautifully lit, and looks really tasty. The smear of sauce is great!
You'd never guess it was a 95p microwave Rustler eh? (Okay, the bun was toasted, not nuked, I added the lettuce and carefully arranged the burger, cheese, sauce on the side facing the camera).
A very nice setup shot and beautifully lit too. Like the little touch of ketchup to add colour and interest. I would crop even tighter at the bottom to get rid of the black, it looks as the chopping board is hovering the mid air.
Hmm, a definite possibility, but I didn't want to go too letterbox.
I agree looks a bit floaty nicely lit though
I did worry about it being a bit floaty. There is a smidge of reflection/shadow from the chopping board, but not enough to be noticed without pixel peeping.

Autumn Lovely colours in this shot, very nice.
Topical, good on theme, love the plague mask and works well in mono.
Food. Got to admit a bit disappointed I was expecting vintage BR sandwich and a weak cup of tea! ;) Nice shot and use of lighting, like the composition.

Hi Tim

Good Lighting on the skinney burger. not much room for the mushrooms in the shot.

Pete

Nice food image - I also agree about the 'floating board' but the lighting is really nice and its nicely balanced with the mushrooms.

I can see a little bit of the foreground on my monitor so it looks all good there. Overall I like the moody lighting, for me it gives the food a more premium and gourmet feel rather than the typical brightly lit burger shots you see in the mainstream.

I don't quite get the pairing of the uncooked mushrooms and burger but the lighting works well.

It's not just a burger :LOL:. Sounds like a complicated setup producing a most impressive shot... worthy of the adverts!

Food
Nice composition and lighting. I particularly like the red sauce dribbling out of the side.

Autumn Lovely colours in this shot, very nice.
Topical, good on theme, love the plague mask and works well in mono.
Food. Got to admit a bit disappointed I was expecting vintage BR sandwich and a weak cup of tea! ;) Nice shot and use of lighting, like the composition.
Hi Tim

Good Lighting on the skinney burger. not much room for the mushrooms in the shot.

Pete
hehe
Nice food image - I also agree about the 'floating board' but the lighting is really nice and its nicely balanced with the mushrooms.
Cheers
I can see a little bit of the foreground on my monitor so it looks all good there. Overall I like the moody lighting, for me it gives the food a more premium and gourmet feel rather than the typical brightly lit burger shots you see in the mainstream.
Ta. I didn't want a white background, brightly lit shot, I thought this nicer.
I don't quite get the pairing of the uncooked mushrooms and burger but the lighting works well.
You don't eat mushrooms with burgers? ;)
It's not just a burger :LOL:. Sounds like a complicated setup producing a most impressive shot... worthy of the adverts!
well, it did need putting together and some thinking about (before eating it).
Food
Nice composition and lighting. I particularly like the red sauce dribbling out of the side.
ta, yes, I thought that a nice touch.

I like it nice DoF and its not to much of a shoehorn if you think about it.

I'm proud of you Tim :D

Actually its well thought out IMO :)
I like it nice DoF and its not to much of a shoehorn if you think about it.
Cheers Allan & Chris, it was the play on wet/smart water that I was going for.
I think you'll get away with this one, and I'm sure that pavement looks a bit wet too :) Very autumnal - fab colours.
It had been raining, but I'm not sure if it really was wet back there. I did like the autumnal colours though.

I like the splash of red in there and you've got some lovely reflections. It looks a lovely way of life when the weather is like this.

Another goof Narrowboat pic - fits perfik :)

Wot no shoe horn? :(

Nice dappled light, and reflections, from Autumnal sunshine, Tim (y)

I like the splash of red in there and you've got some lovely reflections. It looks a lovely way of life when the weather is like this.
I'd love to pack in working, sell the house and live aboard a narrow boat.
I like the thinking behind Wet - and narrow is lovely with the colours and reflections.
Cheers. I agree, the colours are nice.
Another goof Narrowboat pic - fits perfik :)
Only the second I spotted in the thread so far.
Wot no shoe horn? :(

Nice dappled light, and reflections, from Autumnal sunshine, Tim (y)
I know... Occasionally I do post on topic ;)

I remember them - looked great but batteries lasted about 5 minutes [emoji1787]

Nice play on words - and the tight crop works for me too, especially with the busted up screen.

I still have a similar Motorola like this in the cupboard :)

I like the tighter crop but it took me a while to work out what I was looking at. Both work and I would struggle to decide too. I like the reflection on the second one.

Re Narrow: A friend of mine has just been in contact after many years, and he has a narrow boat. He sent a video of them going through some locks and it just looked SO relaxing... Although I would stress about steering it :ROFLMAO:

I quite like the cleaner lines of #2, TBH Tim.

Lovely autumnal shot of the narrow boat. #1 of the digital shots works for me.

The narrow boat is very nice, really autumnal and plenty of interest.
the Digital images are both nice but I think I prefer No 2 as it has the negative space and the phone is 'placed' in the image (both are very good though and nice control of the light).

I remember them - looked great but batteries lasted about 5 minutes [emoji1787]

Nice play on words - and the tight crop works for me too, especially with the busted up screen.
The batteries lasted better than the smartphones of the same era though :)
I still have a similar Motorola like this in the cupboard :)

I like the tighter crop but it took me a while to work out what I was looking at. Both work and I would struggle to decide too. I like the reflection on the second one.

Re Narrow: A friend of mine has just been in contact after many years, and he has a narrow boat. He sent a video of them going through some locks and it just looked SO relaxing... Although I would stress about steering it :ROFLMAO:
I rescued the razr from the boot of Minx's car, where it's been sitting waiting to be recycled ;)
it was hard to decide between the two shots.
You should go narrow boating, it is relaxing. Max speed is 4mph, so steering isn't the trauma you may think (as long as you don't ram a plastic boat)
I quite like the cleaner lines of #2, TBH Tim.
As I say, it was a toss up. I don't usually post 2 shots, but this was too clse to call really.
Lovely autumnal shot of the narrow boat. #1 of the digital shots works for me.
Cheers Helen. The light was just right for the boat I think.
The narrow boat is very nice, really autumnal and plenty of interest.
the Digital images are both nice but I think I prefer No 2 as it has the negative space and the phone is 'placed' in the image (both are very good though and nice control of the light).
Cheers :) I really had to turn the light down and defuse it. It would have been soooo easy to have masses of blown areas.

Week 45 - Free Week + Tech (Soft Focus)

Snappers Choice dates back to the summer when we were able to get out and about shooting the subjects we enjoy.
I give you Sky (Grace) as Jiang Cheng from Módào Zushi (Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation) shot in Abbots Leigh near Bristol.
Shot using everyone's favourite of my lenses, the LensBaby Sol 45 for that soft focus effect (without having to smear the lens in vasoline).
Lighting was natural light with (I believe) the gold side of a 5 in 1 reflector to add fill.

TP 52 for 2020 : Week 45 - Free Week : Jiang Cheng - Módào Zushi (Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation)
by Tim White, on Flickr

Follow Sky on Instagram: @x.twilight_sky.cosplays

Last edited:
That works really well Tim Nice one (y)

You must be missing this kind of thing but hopefully sometime next year you will be back to normal.
It does amuse me “grandmaster of demonic cultivation” she looks it.
I have to say the lens works on this though.

That works really well Tim Nice one (y)
Cheers Chris.
You must be missing this kind of thing but hopefully sometime next year you will be back to normal.
It does amuse me “grandmaster of demonic cultivation” she looks it.
I have to say the lens works on this though.
Yes indeed Allan. The last convention was 14th March, and since then I'd done 4 photoshoots (and one of them was really just an excuse for my daughter and 2 of her mates to get out of their houses towards the end of lockdown 1)
I think that the lens can definitely be made to work well in appropriate cases, and this was one of them II used the fuji 35 and 50 f2s too iirc).

Yep - does the job nicely does that :D

That works really well for soft focus. I'm a lensbaby fan and looking forward to using it for this technique. I don't have the Sol, but have recently bought the twist 60 optic to add to my sweet and edge :)
Great colours.

I'd not seen the Twist 60 before, just watched the video on WEX. Looks fun. Shame it's FF only (so not for my Fujis).
It could work on my old 5d3 I guess (if that ever came out of the cupboard).
I bought the optic because it was cheaper and I already have the composer, but you do need to get it dead straight on, which is not easy - otherwise there is a strong one sided vignette.

I'll try it on my Olympus with the adapter and see how it is. I've been using my 5Div for this weeks theme and it is an incredible lump compared to the Olympus.

Reactions: LC2
A bit of a catch-up on comments Tim.

Wet. I like this a lot. I come across sighns like this quite a lot and it never occured to me for this theme.
Narrow. A nice tranquil sunny shot.
Digital Age. Two nice pics. I prefer the second as I like the negative space and the lighting.
Snappers:. Nice soft focus effect with the Lens Baby. works well with the colours too.

Nice colours in that image, very vibrant. the soft focus works well too.

Back