Monthly n1kcy's 12 for 2013 - February posted

n1kcy

Special.....Extra Special
Name
Nicky
Edit My Images
Yes
For me, 2013 is going to be the year of stepping out of my comfort zone. Firstly my husband and I are relocating to the depths of sunny Wales over 4 hours from our home town, family & friends. We are ready to shake things up a bit and try something new, so I guess I should do the same with my photography.

So.....I've signed up for Kelack's challenge http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=455003

For January, I've choosen Physiogram's as I've never done these before.

All comments appreciated :)

Last edited:
January - Physiograms

8333517825_205c50b6f7.jpg

8334575710_2969ac642e.jpg

8333517129_cb6809307f.jpg

8334574670_3e024ff442.jpg

8334574154_bacfe81153.jpg

8333515369_52739eecb8.jpg

I don't know what they are or how you make them, but I do like these. Nice job. :)

Got to go and Google now.

Fantastic start to your challenge Nicky(y)
I had to go away and research what a physiogram was :LOL:
Simple but very effective. I like all your images, the vivid colours are particularly pleasing :D Iain

Thanks everyone, they really are VERY simple to do.

1. Attach a small torch to a piece of string.
2. Attach string to ceiling
3. Set camera to a slow shutterspeed, I was using 10 seconds
4. Use a wide angle lens, put your camera on the floor under the torch.
5. Swing the torch, fire camera.

Easy.

Then if you wish (which I did) play around in photoshop with multiple layers, rotating each one by 90 degrees (or flipping horizontally & vertically), set the blending mode to lighten.

That's all.

Well that was rather quick! I too had to do some research to find out what a physiogram was!
A very nice blend of colours in your pictures. Well done.

Really like those and you make it sound so easy with the how it's done description, though I'm sure it's far from easy, it's given me a challenge to do on a wet evening (y)

Hi, Nicky, great start. The graphic nature of these really appeals to me and its something I've been meaning to do for while now.

Great start.

Cheers.

Thanks everyone, they really are VERY simple to do.

1. Attach a small torch to a piece of string.
2. Attach string to ceiling
3. Set camera to a slow shutterspeed, I was using 10 seconds
4. Use a wide angle lens, put your camera on the floor under the torch.
5. Swing the torch, fire camera.

Easy.

Then if you wish (which I did) play around in photoshop with multiple layers, rotating each one by 90 degrees (or flipping horizontally & vertically), set the blending mode to lighten. That's all.

aah. i 'm a bit slow. brilliant work

Really like those and you make it sound so easy with the how it's done description, though I'm sure it's far from easy, it's given me a challenge to do on a wet evening (y)

It really is that easy. The hardest part is fixing the torch to the ceiling!

Hi, Nicky, great start. The graphic nature of these really appeals to me and its something I've been meaning to do for while now.

Great start.

Cheers.

I know, I first saw these about a year ago and they just looked so complicated that I never quite got round to it, so I was very pleased to see them on the January themes.

My word, those are AM AZ ING Nicky. Thanks also for the steps in how you created them, got to attempt them myself now!

Hope the move has gone well and that you're settling in nicely.

Di

What a fantastic start Nicky. And thank you for sharing how you did them. I really like these (y)

We haven't moved yet, but should be in by the end of the month (another reason to get the challenge done and out of the way).

If anyone wants has any further questions on how I did it, feel free to ask.

Brilliant Nicky, I love those. I haven't layered mine, but probably should try to now I've seen yours!

Are the colour variations PP'd too?

These are great. You've inspired me to have a go and maybe have a go at doing a 12 this year too.

These are orsome Nicky, i see you have set the bar high :).

Steve

Brilliant Nicky, I love those. I haven't layered mine, but probably should try to now I've seen yours!

Are the colour variations PP'd too?

Yes, they were shot in raw, so a combination of tungsten lighting on some, and on others just playing around with saturation on just some layers.

These are great. You've inspired me to have a go and maybe have a go at doing a 12 this year too.

You should, nothing to lose and lots to gain.

These are orsome Nicky, i see you have set the bar high :).

Steve

I think it will turn out that I've just peaked a bit early :)

Wow. These are really beautiful. The PP has really enhanced them.

Looking at the way the patterns have been formed I guess you took a degree of care with your "swinging"? Any tips?

Ian.

I'd love to say yes but actually the swinging was rather out of control and very different every time. Just trial and error.

Those are pretty cool Nicky, reminds me of my old Spirograph in the 70s

These are superb!! Best I've seen. I'm off to bnq for a torch! Got to try this!!

Stunning work!

Matt

Great selection of images. Good idea using the photoshop rotation to enhance symmetry. Like No 1 especially with the open ends of the trail.

Amazing pictures!!

How do you get the different colours? were these added in pp?
Also do you need complete darkness apart from the torch light?

Ta
Allie

Thanks everyone for all the comments, sorry I've not been replying. We moved house and BT messed us around ALOT so we had no internet for a couple of weeks. Then I had to go away with work for another couple of weeks, so I will be back to normal at the weekend when I finally get to go back to my new home (which now has broadband) and can start sorting out and editing my latest batch of photos.

Amazing pictures!!

How do you get the different colours? were these added in pp?
Also do you need complete darkness apart from the torch light?

Ta
Allie

To be honest, I wasn't really sure where the colour came from. I think perhaps the torch was picking up a reflection of colour from it's own casing?? The original RAW images had a hint on colour and I just upped the saturation in post processing. Then once I had a reasonable contrast of colour, I adjusted the hue on each layer. Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense, thank you for taking the time to explain. Definitely something im now going to have a go at. Love your post processing on all theses shots.(y)

Month 2 - A poor effort this month I'm afraid, we moved house at the start of the month, then I had 2 weeks away with work.

There wasn't much to do in the hotel on my own all night, so I thought I'd try Multiplicity:
8508136616_7f2c0ba81b_c.jpg

This was the view I had most mornings whilst on my way down for breakfast, hopefully it fits the theme Contre Jour:
8507016849_545b93892b_c.jpg

Back home now, not surprising to those that now me, but the bird feeders are put up and established a long time before the boxes are unpacked. Here is my Triptych (ok, so I guess officially it's a duotych...?)
8507016569_9afcb6c70d_b.jpg

That's it for now, I doubt I'll get any more images done for this month's theme.

Your multiplicity works well in B&W. Sitting in a hotel room is soo boring, the middle 'you' sums the feeling up :LOL:

Your contre jour shot is a serious view to wake up to in the morning. Where is it? I like the murky look, cool picture.

Trip/Duotych - Not a huge fan on the border for this, the previous two are better IMO, with a bit of space between image and border it becomes a bit more separated. I would have liked to see a similar image to the first one but mirrored on the other side to make it three images and a bit more symmetrical.

Considering the busy month you've had you've done well to get three pics up. Second is the best for me.

Last edited:
Multiplicity is good and as Jason said liking the Black and White.

You missed a trick on the Triptych you could have flipped the left hand shot to the right which would have added some symmetry.

Multiplicity is good and as Jason said liking the Black and White.

You missed a trick on the Triptych you could have flipped the left hand shot to the right which would have added some symmetry.

Was just about to type the above about the triptych, nice additions and attempt at this months themes, I think every except Jason was last minute lol!!

Hi Nicky :)

Multiplicity, potentially a boring application of the technique (there are hundreds around with people using laptops, and on sofas), but the B&W conversion, and your composition/poses has rescued it. Good work.

Contre Jour wouldn't strike me as that as you can't see that it's against the sun, but it's a lovely picture anyway. 50% of me wants to see it without the building bottom right, 50% likes it like it is. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!!!!!!

Yeah triptych, isn't really!!! Nice photo's (fantastic DoF), but it does need a third frame. I don't like flipped shots to make them if they can be avoided because it feels a little like cheating, but in this case I think I would have done if there was no third shot to use.

Back