weekly Nat's 52 - 2014 - I'm out

Edit My Images
No
Hello!

I took part in and completed a 52 in 2012 (link) and after having had a year off, I'm now ready to go again.

I've upgraded my equipment since last time; I'm now using a D7100 and also invested in a 70-200mm. I've still got the 300, 50, 60 micro (next on the list to upgrade) and yes, rather annoyingly, the 18-105 (which I really should have upgraded by now!).

I'm still focusing on nature and wildlife photography and have recently added pet photography to the list. This time around the challenge isn't going to be so much about photographing things I wouldn't normally shoot, but rather coming up with new ways to photograph the things I love. This means you can expect to see mostly flowers, furry things, close-ups and abstract details.

I may occasionally play around with new ways to post-process, but generally speaking I limit my PP to white balance, exposure and contrast adjustments.

These are the rules & guidelines I've set for myself:

1. TWO jokers allowed - but no passes
2. It's okay to be creative with the interpretation of the theme - as long as I can explain the thoughts behind the photo
3. Late on-topic submissions are better than shoe-horned on-time entries
4. When a Re-shoot is drawn, I will choose between that and the new theme (I will not do both)
5. Post feedback on other participants' photos at least once a month

2013 was a good year for me photographically: I took more photos than any other year, I did a few pet photography sessions and I sold my first wildlife images. Hopefully 2014 will be even better! :)

Last edited:
Today was my only day off this month and of course it was grey and miserable... I had originally planned to get the Play shot done too, but there was just no way I was going to get the dog action shot I was looking for on a day like this. I have a back-up plan but I'm unsure if I can pull it off without the help of an assistant.

Untitled
by C Fredriksson, on Flickr

Week 1 - Line

I had a few options for this; similar compositions with different colour branches and also a photo of a row of pillars. In the end I went with this because it had the nicest colours -- plus I prefer living things to inanimate objects.

Hi Nathalie, welcome back, two excellent photo's love the colour in line and the composition of the snowdrop is excellent
:clap:

Great colours in Line and a good DoF. I could look at that for some time!
Not sure yet about the snowdrop, I like it and the focus through the raindrop but the OOF white jars a bit.

Hi Nathalie, good start to your 52 (y)
The colour tones in 'line' are very pleasing on the eye and as has been mentioned above, the abstract feel to it is very appealing.
I like the feel of your close image, maybe just lose a little off the bottom but apart from that (y)

Hi Nathalie, I like your intro and your plans for interpreting the themes throughout the year.

I really like your image for Line. It's original and the colours and abstract style are very appealing. Lovely work!
For Close, I like the subtle, natural colours and the focus on the water drops. I do find the white petals slightly distracting and wish they were slightly more in focus, but the diagonal composition works well.

I'm looking forward to following your thread (y)

I like the focus on the waterdrop in close - I've thought about getting my maro lens out - but, it's not one of my strong points - perhaps I ought to.

:wave: Nathalie, good colours in 'lines', I like the focus on the water droplets, but would have liked to see more of the flower head in focus :)

I like both of these, nicely composed

Hey Nat - Welcome Back :)

Lines - Lovely Colours, really liking the way the background blends in with it all, nice sharp detail too (y)

Close - Nice... I do like to see some water on plants and that snowdrop looks cool :)

Great start, and looking forward to your work again

Hi Nathalie,
I've decided to come back this year as well after a year off!
line - no crit one this one, its lovely, theres lots to look at and the colours are lovely!
close - As others have said the water droplets are sharp and well captured but I'm not sure about the amount of OOF - it would be interesting to see a tighter crop!:)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! (y)

Great colours in Line and a good DoF. I could look at that for some time!
Not sure yet about the snowdrop, I like it and the focus through the raindrop but the OOF white jars a bit.
Line....like it. Abstract, lovely colours and nice focus.

Close. I see where you were going but I find the lower section a little over powering.

Cheers.
Hi Nathalie, good start to your 52 (y)
The colour tones in 'line' are very pleasing on the eye and as has been mentioned above, the abstract feel to it is very appealing.
I like the feel of your close image, maybe just lose a little off the bottom but apart from that (y)
Hi there...I like the lines very much, the colour is so eye catching.
It's good to see a snowdrop, but I do agree the flower dominates and takes your eye from the lovely raindrop.

Looking forward to seeing you future posts...
Hi Nathalie,
I've decided to come back this year as well after a year off!
line - no crit one this one, its lovely, theres lots to look at and the colours are lovely!
close - As others have said the water droplets are sharp and well captured but I'm not sure about the amount of OOF - it would be interesting to see a tighter crop!:)
I can't do anything about the focus after the fact, but I've uploaded a tighter crop to make the OOF parts less dominant. Any better?

Untitled

Last edited:
Nice crop now, your immediately drawn to the sharp rain drop. Nice composition and well lit. (y)

Line - great idea and love the colours

Close- another great shot and great detail.

Hi Nathalie & welcome back :wave:

Your lines shot is a great abstract , love the colors ..would look great printed I suspect (y)

The Close shot works for me with the focus on the droplet but enough surrounds to know what it's on...IYSWIM

Untitled

Week 4 - Bubble

I knew what I wanted to do as soon as I saw the theme -- I'd been meaning to try out the oil & water thing since my last Photo52 in 2012 but for some reason never got around to it. I played with a few different backgrounds including pink and multicolour but preferred this blue.

Last edited:
Back