weekly Nortdog's TP52 For 2014 - Week 27 Rich

Hi Adam

well lit , nice placement of the batteries ( normally I prefer odd numbers of items but 2 works well here ) & as mentioned...the reflection lifts it (y)

ps....linky to your thread not working.....

Looks like you go to the same battery shop as I do :p

The composition and lighting really work for me. Pin sharp as well. As said that refection grounds the subject nicely

thanks guys. not sure why the link isnt working, ill try and sort it. :confused:

I wanted to try something different this week, i managed to get a shot outside for the first time in the challenge!! I wanted to show that time passes quite quickly without you actually noticing, this was only over about 50mins. i suppose i can also fall back on long exposure fits the theme time ;)

Underbank
by Nortdog, on Flickr

I looked at this on Flickr to get the bigger picture. It's nicely exposed but at some point you have moved the camera as the star-trails are not evenly curved and they look a little ragged.

I looked at this on Flickr to get the bigger picture. It's nicely exposed but at some point you have moved the camera as the star-trails are not evenly curved and they look a little ragged.
Ye your right the camera must have moved slightly at some point, although I can't remember it being touched. I think I may have exaggerated it slightly also by trying to get rid of some of the distortion from the building so had to compromise a bit. Think I might go back and reverse the correction an see what it looks like.

Yep, you have got a bit of a wiggle on, but as this is not something I've ever tried I don't feel that I can really give crit. Composition is good and it fits the theme.

Adam, great idea. I've never tried star trails either, but its something I fancy, well done for having a go (y) Composition wise I like, wall running from left corner and you've lined the building up well with the north star. Focus looks good, building looks clear (y). Did you light paint it?

Great shot - can;t see any other star trails on your flickr so assume this was a first for you??

If so fantastic job.. well composed and aside from a small issue with movement, (can you hang something heavy under your tripod?) the execution is really good. (y)

Nice composition and exposure was this 1 long exposure or stacked? Shame about the movement which sadly you never find out about until you get home and start processing had this happen myself :banghead:
As Graham said try hanging a weighted bag under the Tripod.

Super shot Adam. The star trails have been mentioned but I do like how you've captured some blue in the sky rather than in being completely black. You've also light the wall and the building nicely without them being too overpowering for the image.

Hi, nice pic can only echo what peter said, like the lighting on the stone would maybe clone out some of the lights on the hill side

Great take for the theme and another different idea, nice to see an outdoors shot. i like the composition however as mentioned your trails do look a tad wonky.
thanks Mandy, ye the camera must have moved at some point :(
Yep, you have got a bit of a wiggle on, but as this is not something I've ever tried I don't feel that I can really give crit. Composition is good and it fits the theme.

Adam, great idea. I've never tried star trails either, but its something I fancy, well done for having a go (y) Composition wise I like, wall running from left corner and you've lined the building up well with the north star. Focus looks good, building looks clear (y). Did you light paint it?
thanks guys, its not as hard as you might think, the only thing is you don't quite know what you've got until you get home and process them! ye the building was light painted on the last exposure

Great shot - can;t see any other star trails on your flickr so assume this was a first for you??

If so fantastic job.. well composed and aside from a small issue with movement, (can you hang something heavy under your tripod?) the execution is really good. (y)
Thanks Graham, yes it was my first proper go at star trails other than a practice in the back garden ages ago! ye next time I will take my camera bag to hang from my tripod, I only had my camera and tripod this time.

Nice composition and exposure was this 1 long exposure or stacked? Shame about the movement which sadly you never find out about until you get home and start processing had this happen myself :banghead:
As Graham said try hanging a weighted bag under the Tripod.
it was 88 stacked exposures over about an hour. ye ill certainly not forget to hang my bag from my tripod next time! :banghead:

Hi there....I really like the positive shot.....very eye catching, the star trails are great for the theme, nicely composed with the line of the tower.
thank Susie
Super shot Adam. The star trails have been mentioned but I do like how you've captured some blue in the sky rather than in being completely black. You've also light the wall and the building nicely without them being too overpowering for the image.
Cheers Peter, I started about half an hour after sunset to keep some blue in the sky to try and make it a bit more interesting.

Nice bit of light painting and decent detail in the trails. Looks like you may have knocked the tripod as the trails don't seem to arc straight, IYSWIM.

Cheers.

Good composition and lighting for Time, As has been mentioned the blue of the sky really adds to this.

Nice bit of light painting and decent detail in the trails. Looks like you may have knocked the tripod as the trails don't seem to arc straight, IYSWIM.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, ye unfortunately it must have moved at some point although im not sure when! Note for next time is defiantly more weight for the tripod!

Hi Adam

I think I should know where that is..........but can't recall....put me out of my misery as it's bugging me now please ?

I tried star trials & failed miserably so a big (y) for succeeding ....just the slopey angles on the building that need sorting..I get this a lot with my 10-20mm sigma :mad: nice bit of light painting :)

thanks very much guys for some really positive feedback.
Hi Adam

I think I should know where that is..........but can't recall....put me out of my misery as it's bugging me now please ?

I tried star trials & failed miserably so a big (y) for succeeding ....just the slopey angles on the building that need sorting..I get this a lot with my 10-20mm sigma :mad: nice bit of light painting :)
Its shot at Underbank reservoir in Stocksbridge Lynne. Its a nice place with loads of potential for different shots!!

This week was a bit of a step into the unknown for me, all the ideas I could finally come up with for the theme involved getting in really close to isolate detail. This was a problem because I don't own any macro gear whatsoever and didn't fancy heavily cropping into an image due to it degrading quality. So during a long weekend in Cardiff this weekend I purchased a close up lens as a cheap way to have a go at macro photography. I was really surprised with how close I was able to focus with it so came up with this. Lighting was a nightmare due to all the different angles and the reflective surface! About 20 frames later with different positioning of lighting with was about the best! cheers for looking guys.

IMG_7744
by Nortdog, on Flickr

Not sure why I cant get the link from the main thread back to here to work, antbody else had any trouble? :thinking:
EDIT, sorted it now, not copied the right part!!

Last edited:
Hi Adam :)

Swirl - Great idea, I like the inclusion of a drill bit end too, crit, i'm finding it hard to find any, all I can come up with is that the base, although very interesting is taking away from the main subject... there is good sharp detail, nice even lighting and really like the composition - Nice One :clap:

and I must close with... only after 20 shots, I do WAY more than that normally to get 'The' shot :LOL:

Hi Adam :)

Swirl - Great idea, I like the inclusion of a drill bit end too, crit, i'm finding it hard to find any, all I can come up with is that the base, although very interesting is taking away from the main subject... there is good sharp detail, nice even lighting and really like the composition - Nice One :clap:

and I must close with... only after 20 shots, I do WAY more than that normally to get 'The' shot :LOL:
Thanks Alan, I decided to include the end of the drill bit to try and make it a bit more interesting and to make it obvious as to what I was using! I agree with the base, I wanted to use something other than a black or reflective one for a change so went with a bit of texture

Great idea Adam, I have more drill bits than you can shake a stick at and not once did it cross my mind to use them for swirl :rolleyes:

Detail is good, lighting and composition, I'm liking the blue/purple , makes me think this could have been taken in a working environment where someone was welding (y)

I'm with DK on the bg/base though, it does slightly distract, possibly better on a plain sheet of steel :thinking:

Back