Nostromo Here again TP52 (2019) Wk: 43/44 Spooky

Dull and Snappers Choice are both really nice images. I particularly like your 3 leaves, really creative and great colours, perfect!

Hi Dominic

Dull - I think a lot of us found that a weirdly hard theme to shoot, I know I did. I was going to say it's not a dull subject, but you said that anyway :) I think it works for the theme.
Free Week - I like that. A bit of reverse traffic light going on there, and better for being that way around I feel.
Lovely textures and colours and well laid out.

I like both of them I read your explanation and think it works well, good composition and textures in the leaves pic, very clever use of the birch for the BG

Great work Dominic!:clap:

Dull: I love this image...brown may be a dull colour, but this is a tremendously un-dull image! Isn't it one of those weird things that shoots clouds of spores everywhere?
Snappers choice: Fantastic colours and textures, and so very creative. Your patience certainly paid off...it's a cracker!

Like em both with the leaves edging it!

Hi Dominic,

A little catch up from me...

Empty - This is stunning! A good stack and a great subject and background. The reflection is a nice touch too.
Building - Nice mono shot which suits the subject perfectly.
Soft - This is right up my street. Very nice image and fits soft perfectly.
Old - Good composition with the camera on the platter.
Flower - The first one for me. I love the colours cast by the vase.
Dull - Good shot which does fit the theme for me.
Snappers choice - Cracking image! I really like this.

That's a great image! I really like the composition and the bokeh is really well handled. Good job

Great bokeh on this shot for NEAR. Very nice indeed.
The FLOWER shots are very well handled and I would go for the first if I had to choose, perhaps the most natural-looking of the three perhaps.

Good idea leaving the other fungi in the frame does help with the theme title, a nice find too

Wk: 42 Song

Well this isn't as sharp as i would have hoped (although in reality i wasn't too hopeful), they really do need to resurface the roads around here.
We went out in the car whilst it was raining on Saturday and it was pretty dim too. On our way home the sun decided to come out (it had been raining for over 24hr), which didn't help for this shot. Trying to expose for inside the car and outside was not really possible, there was just too much difference in the two and i wanted a slow-ish shutter speed to blur the outside. So after a lot of shadow lifting in pp, i ended up with a pretty noisy photo. So i've converted to b/w, it looks a little bit more acceptable.

untitled-6 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Song
Madness - I like driving in my car

That's a great image! I really like the composition and the bokeh is really well handled. Good job
Liking this shot Dominic, the OOF shroom in the BG near the front one makes it a lovely image.
Great bokeh on this shot for NEAR. Very nice indeed.
The FLOWER shots are very well handled and I would go for the first if I had to choose, perhaps the most natural-looking of the three perhaps.
That's a great macro shot with good use of depth-of-field. The dark background helps to focus attention on the bright orange/yellow fungi.
Ah yes, I see what you're doing with that. Not my kind of shot, but nice and sharp, with great separation and contrasting (yet similar) colours.
Good idea leaving the other fungi in the frame does help with the theme title, a nice find too
Great composition, and the other fungus has certainly tied the theme in...not distracting for me.
Superb sharpness on the near fungus, and the colours are really nice.
Very nicely done Dominic(y)
That's a very well composed image that portrays near perfectly. Good exposure and colour too.
Thanks all, it's much appreciated as always.

Near: nice shot and interesting fungus, I've been struggling to do something similar but my mushrooms are boring and I'm struggling with macro
Song: very good idea and execution

Song - great idea for the theme, like it alot, you've captured the motion well.

That's a great image Dominic!:clap:
Fantastic, dynamic feel and it really works well in B&W too.
Terrific motion blur...I've attempted this kind of shot too, and I agree it's near impossible to expose for both interior and exterior, but you have processed it very well indeed!

Wk: 43/44 Borrowed and Spooky
Borrowed
Might be a bit of a shoehorn this, but i did borrow the sheet music to add to this photo. It could also be interpreted as 'something old, something new (a new lens for me), something borrowed, something blue'.

untitled-227-Edit.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Spooky
Quite a tricky thing to shoot on your own. I had the Canon app open on my phone, so i could see the framing and take the shot. I had a large softbox to my right (camera left), a reflector against my leg to bounce some light back on to my hand and sickle.

untitled-235-Edit-2.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Both shots are superb well composed, well lit and love the colour in the "borrowed" photo.
"spooky" could well be a film poster

Excellent work :clap:

Borrowed and Spooky are both really nice. The composition and colours in Borrowed really complement each other fantastically. Spooky really hits the theme, plus has brilliant detail.

Love the flower image - the composition, flower - just everything about it screams perfect.
And the spooky one - I have one of those in the garage - called heuch up here in Scotland. Great for cutting long grass and bracken.

Both shots are superb well composed, well lit and love the colour in the "borrowed" photo.
"spooky" could well be a film poster

Excellent work :clap:
Love your picture for borrowed Dominic, the music sheet makes an excellent background, lovely colour throughout the picture too.

Spooky, really good and lighting is excellent. A really good b+w conversion too.
Borrowed and Spooky are both really nice. The composition and colours in Borrowed really complement each other fantastically. Spooky really hits the theme, plus has brilliant detail.
For me both images are fantastic and beautifully taken, great idea on the BG for borrowed so a stunning shot. Spooky is totally nailed, goes great in mono and like Allan said it could be a film poster :clap::clap:
Thanks all

Love the flower image - the composition, flower - just everything about it screams perfect.
And the spooky one - I have one of those in the garage - called heuch up here in Scotland. Great for cutting long grass and bracken.
Thank you for the very kind words. I know we are all self critical about our own photos. I am pretty happy with the flower photo, but feel that the blue is a little too blue.

Truly excellent images Dominic!:clap:

Borrowed: Fantastic work! Amazing colour contrast, and for me the blue is spot on. A great concept, well executed...cannot fault it, well done indeed!
Spooky: Another excellent image...love the B&W, contrasty look, it's a great composition too....again, I cannot fault it...really great work indeed!

Really liking borrowed and spooky. Great atmospheric shots.

Borrowed and Spooky - I applaud the setup effort you've put into these and they were worth it.

Hi Dominic,
Fantastic images!
Song is a very well take shot and a great song to boot.
Borrowed - very well taken and edited.
Spooky - Another thumbs up here. Simple, effective and great use of negative space.

Hi Dominic

Great set up for borrowed, nice use of colour, good lighting and plenty of detail.
I think you cracked it with your spooky shot as well. Good tones in the B&W Conversion.

Pete

Back