weekly Paul's Infrared TP 52 for 2021: Week 19 to 23 Added!

That's very nice. Obviously something little & delicate.

Very, and less than a week later and there's another dozen, dunno what Ill do with all these tomatoes LOL

The wafer thin DOF is cool, and the harshness of the plant against the background, gives it a real simple graphic look.

Thank you

Lovely image - the shallow dof makes the leaves appear to reach out of the shot

Thanks Helen, the dof is really difficult work with proper macro but im learning as I go! :)

Choice
It looks better on Flickr, on here it looks a bit blown out. Nicely diffused background.

Just looked and certainly right about it looking better on flickr. (y)

Your infra-red 52 is definitely inspiring - and this is a very nice example of where it works well! The very pale (in IR) leaves stand out beautifully against the background.

Cheers :D I'm quite enjoying it I have to say, really got a piece of my photography mojo back I feel

So Week 6 and Pair.

So, because it was Sunday, lockdown, bored, dogs needed a walk and I wanted to use the gopro too, why not add a wee vid too to my general youtube channel of doing the shot! Certainly it shows I need more practice!!!
View: https://youtu.be/1aYtW14shmc

Week 6 - Pair
by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Really nice to see the dogs as a pair for the theme. Personally, I like to see some life in landscape photos and this hits the nail on the head for me. Nice composition... You do like your big skies :)

Ooh, collie dogs. You're the winner this week. Anything with collie dogs in it, anything at all. Lovely sky too.

Last edited:
Perfectly poised and posed pooch pic :)

I love this shot. Great composition and beautiful dogs... I really like the addition of the video.. it did look chill!

Love the dogs shot - whole thing works so well!

Last edited:
That's really nice. I can't imagine how it could be better. The dogs look so used to being in front of the camera.

That's really nice. I can't imagine how it could be better. The dogs look so used to being in front of the camera.

I think that’s more to with being collies - and well trained — and it being Paul behind the camera so they were looking to him to let them up :).

I enjoyed the video, lovely pair of dogs, fantastic portrait.

Thanks all, they are lovely and (usually) obedient but can get absolutly obsessed with balls and sticks lol, I think thats the sheepdog breeding in them to be honest. As for the cold, oooof, I don't mind it too much in winter but when the wind whips up too and drops it to a "feels like" - 5 or 6, that's proper brass monkeys time! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Very kind comments on the video too, I'm no Thomas Heaton, nor would I every aspire to be, the channel is simply a way for me to distract from work life etc so will be quite diverse and just wanted to have a play with doing a photography one :)

Really nice image of the two dogs with such intelligent looks on their faces - they obviously were not bored at all by their posing!

Really nice image of the two dogs with such intelligent looks on their faces - they obviously were not bored at all by their posing!
Absolutely Gorgeous shot!
I absolutely love this one, that sky is wonderful, add in your beautiful dogs and it couldn’t be better, my favourite of the week.
I enjoyed your video too ...perfect choice of music, very relaxing.
Lovely video, enjoyed watching that. What a pair of obedient dogs and seem to be happy to pose for you. As for the image, what wavelength was the camera converted to? It looks more like a black and white shot than IR to me!

Thanks all, aye Ive never tried adding music before to a video and honestly if there was no music no one would watch it with the noise of the wind that day and I wouldn't blame them one bit. Im only using a gopro but no external mic or fancy fluffy mic covers :ROFLMAO:

Re the b&w vs IR, the camera is converted to 850nm so it's always going to be black and white, I knew when I wanted to try it I was going to go with monochrome, theres not many of the false colour stuff I like, some, but not much so if I get more of a bug Ill likely just watch ebay for one I want in micro four thirds and try it. (y)

I really love your Pair shot. I like the big sky too. The black and white suits your subjects well, and I like that the background trees are not behind either dog - and the one cocked head is lovely. They look so attentive!

Terrific portrait of two lovely dogs.
What a gorgeous pair of dogs, love their expressions. The whole shot works well.
Cracking pair of Collies, really suit the B&W.

Pete

Thanks all :)

I really love your Pair shot. I like the big sky too. The black and white suits your subjects well, and I like that the background trees are not behind either dog - and the one cocked head is lovely. They look so attentive!

Indeed, the cocked head one is Bran, he's always, always, always on the go that one!

Pair
That looks wonderful. Nothing else to add really.

Thank you.
I'll add that Im probably going to look into printing this one for the wall in the house I have to admit.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the film Paul but that doesn't matter at all.
Your concept and execution of your take on this weeks theme is just fantastic. A lot of attention to detail, it makes for a very interesting image. Good work.

IR portraits look great if you're into that kind of look.

I did some of my wife a couple of years ago (TP link) just to see how they would turn out.

Is yours a long wavelength conversion? Mine was 590nm so I could do false colour and just whack a 750nm filter on for B&W.

Either way, I think your processing would suit a more sinister movie (there's a scene in the horror movie Rec that is shot with IR that has that similar look to the eyes), but that's not a criticism, as I think your take on the theme is very good.

Doing a video is really cool too.

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed that. Don't know the film but you've sure depicted it well.

Film title
Great attention to detail with the included references added at the bottom, made me smile.

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments, I've only just seen them as been on a combination of nights and long shifts and life has literally gotten in the way for the last few weeks. @Harlequin565 it's a converted panasonic G3 at 850nm, I really wanted to play with the mono side of IR only as thats my favourite style so thought Id be most likely to enjoy it and hopefully finish the 2 :) I checked your linked pics, very striking and cool I thought.

Again, thank you all so much for the kind words!!!

Im behind now by 2 and just needed to take half an hour out today to refocus, forget about work and other life stresses and do some nice simple photography. No video this time as gave myself a time limit.

So, week 8 - Half / Halves

Week 8 - Halves
by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

just needed to take half an hour out today to refocus, forget about work and other life stresses and do some nice simple photography

This should be a life lesson :)

Really nice simple photograph Paul. really like the composition although perhaps some separation of the halves (with Blu-tack I guess) might have worked a little better. I'm no still-lifer though, so well done anyway :)

Back